What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

heildan

NANI?!
I don't know about you guys, but Johnny jailing is mad abusive in this patch. I can land it consistently and by the gods, he is the real meaning of Caging someone. This bitch is like a fucking cop now.

Btw, still believe Shock Jock is the way to go. Restand NP is a move thats both good normally and amplified. Some players find it hard to punish NP on block.
Mime Time, despite its long startup, makes real difference to neutral along being an option to condition players not to abuse poking on him, and help against a lot of his MUs as it prevents people from abusing moves like Erron's boot that leads to KB.

Anyway, before anyone says anything, he still needs adjustments as he has flaws and forceballs still whiff.

Last edited:

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
What do you mean jailing is mad abusive?
About what jailing?

d1 in 124 or 244?
That is a global feature that everyone on the cast should have and the last patch targeted this as a wanted feature across the board.

Or jailing after +6? the only thing that jails is a d4 and that worked before as well.

Jbog

Noob
I don't know about you guys, but Johnny jailing is mad abusive in this patch. I can land it consistently and by the gods, he is the real meaning of Caging someone. This bitch is like a fucking cop now.

Btw, still believe Shock Jock is the way to go. Restand NP is a move thats both good normally and amplified. Some players find it hard to punish NP on block.
Mime Time, despite its long startup, makes real difference to neutral along being an option to condition players not to abuse poking on him, and help against a lot of his MUs as it prevents people from abusing moves like that Erron's boot that leads to KB.

Anyway, before anyone says anything, he still needs adjustments as he has flaws and forceballs still whiff.
I agree hes solid now. Forceball would be a bonus

heildan

NANI?!
I've been experimenting about conditioning some players by "jo-ken-poking".

D1, d3 and d4. Each can be done after the other.

D1 on hit jails into 12 (leads to combos, mimetime, on block you can do 12 into grab, 124 or 12 forceballs ex), s2, and also to d3 (low, an option if they stand block jails into the same things). I'm still thinking about better options to do on low block, like s2 to d3.

D3, on hits leads to s2 jailing, but also makes f4 looks so fast. If you hit it, then you can do f4/mime to catch people if they try to counter your options (12, s2, throw, etc) by poking you.

Then there's d4, pushes the opponent. You can use it to take a breath if they're good on defense or try to jail into f3~options or f344 into combo/forceballs, but it takes away the grab option and makes mimetime risky, kinda reseting the neutral.

Sry about the confused post, I'm at work right now, but I probably can make a chart later.

Last edited:

heildan

NANI?!
What do you mean jailing is mad abusive?
About what jailing?

d1 in 124 or 244?
That is a global feature that everyone on the cast should have and the last patch targeted this as a wanted feature across the board.

Or jailing after +6? the only thing that jails is a d4 and that worked before as well.
From up close (Cage range) it really helps against those MUs. Relax, I'm not saying he is the chosen one.

How do even counter Liu Kang's F4?
How do even tech Jax's grabs?
Why does it feel like Cage is the only character that fights fair?
I'm jumping off the "I'll take what I can get" bandwagon unitl NRS gets their shut together.
Can't have fun when you keep losing to bad players.

I'm jumping off the "I'll take what I can get" bandwagon unitl NRS gets their shut together.
I agree that he's a very honest player, it's not necessarily a bad thing tho, I like this playstyle. I think Jax is similar in that way besides the fact he can easily get 35-40% kb + fb and you're dead from dominating opponent that is left with magic pixel. About Liu, online it's hard to react to his staggers it's better to space him out.
I do however find it frustrating that sometimes a very random masher would win me over a 'slow' paced skilled player, especially happens with kabal, I hate the match up with this dude.

BTW, idk if it was widely known but in the corner 4 launches into 111 121 ender that's meterless damage. Since 4 is a high, d4 on hit jails in the corner or jump in 1/2, and it's plus 3 on block I believe.
I mainly use it after nut punch restand in the corner when got no meter left.

Last edited:

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
The matchup vs those is a bit better since our forceballs don't whiff on them.
Which means that the only issue remaining for you to do is to get their 9 frame mids out of your way.

The only way to do that is to not be near them , ever. Jumpback, walkback, spam your forceballs, throws, whatever it takes to get them away.

Once they will get in, and you will have to take the 9 frame mid, all you can do is hope you guess right on the staggers so you can get in a throw, d2, or a combo to get them away from you again.

Vs Jax, there is also the issue of you working your ass off only to get 3KB-ed in a row and lose. This you just have to thank NRS for, not much you can do except sending them a postcard with best wishes.

However I'll take these matchups anyday over a forceball whiffing one. Because in that matchup we can't literally press any button without remaining -5 in their face (Cassie, Jacqui, and now Frost, LOL).

Do you guys have any problem connecting B2 after jump 2? It doesn't combo like 40% of time. I don't have any problem with other jump in combos

Last edited:
Ive been using Jax since I hopped off the JC bandwagon a few months ago due to problems (best decision I made lol) The really good JOhnnys ( i barely see any now ) space me out so i cant get in and use their forceballs as they dont whiff on jax. If they do that, I have to be a bit more risky, also when I use hunkerdown I can bf2 alot vs johnny wheras in GB im in at a disadvantage

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Do you guys have any problem connecting B2 after jump 2? It doesn't combo like 40% of time. I don't have any problem with other jump in combos

I have a method to do it. Jump in and hit 2, then hit back and hold it, then 2 again. It’s a fast 3 button tap. Every now and then I’d get S2 so I started doing this and now have no issues.

Ive been using Jax since I hopped off the JC bandwagon a few months ago due to problems (best decision I made lol) The really good JOhnnys ( i barely see any now ) space me out so i cant get in and use their forceballs as they dont whiff on jax. If they do that, I have to be a bit more risky, also when I use hunkerdown I can bf2 alot vs johnny wheras in GB im in at a disadvantage
The window for Jax's grabs, like Johnny's and a few others, are very small, and it's difficult to read.

The window for Jax's grabs, like Johnny's and a few others, are very small, and it's difficult to read.
I use the forward grab a lot, with Jax, its very hard to read once you condition them to block the f33 and f2 etc, id say once you start mixing it up with back throws its tough to deal with

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
Were we always plus 7 on F344 forceballs? I dont recall this being the case. Also, doing that midscreen is the one being plus 7, it's plus 5 in the corner. I think there always were a difference, but the midscreen variant seems like to have increased pushback now. When you do f344 amp forceballs you're no longer in range to do followups. Im pretty sure this string also made it so, that you're still in range for f3/f4 - as of right now this is only applicable for b34.

I just recall him being plus 6 before the patch but maybe I'm wrong

F344 itself seems to have more pushback but it could just be me never actually noticing its properties.

Really digging how consistent jailing from d1 is now, it's something at least to make people respect

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Really digging how consistent jailing from d1 is now, it's something at least to make people respect
This is why fast mids don't matter as much anymore against Cage. You might still get put into a stagger nightmare, but 1 good poke and you're out, and you're plus.

Hitconfirm D1, S12...if blocked push 4, if hitconfirmed, nut punch or camera. There's not much downside. What sucks about this is that it's fucking easy offline. Online, with the 3 frames of input delay, the timing is weird. I've been getting D3'd a lot going for the S1. Wish we had some consistency.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
God I fucking hate yolo D2s. Whiffed a move? No problem D2! You're - 7? D2!
Is it to much to ask for a decent mid?
I played against a Liu kang player in KL and his record was 33-0 and I barely lost to him 2-1. Meanwhile random people are mashing D2 at every chance they get.
That's just it. The ones that play without making any logical sense are the ones that give me the most trouble. Batshit crazy is tough to beat.