What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

D

Deleted member 35141

Having a few beers and fucking around with the custom moves tonight for the first time. Jesus, Pissed Off and Rising Star are such good moves! Why NRS, Why!! I'm still a little on the fence about full on custom variations but man if I could have Cage Rage, Pissed Off, and Rising Star in a tourney variation I'd be a happy man.
This is exactly what I use in casual play, pissed off is a great combo ender, and rising star is amazing with a overhead option

I am also on the boat where I think he just need hitbox fixes and better KB. His base move list is fine. F3 as a high is fine. It being a mid might be too strong which is why you use f4 instead. Different button different situation.as for being poked out of stuff, when hitbox issue gets fixed we should see a lot less of that. As a player you also need to regulate the constant D1 or d2. If you keep getting hit by those that means you need to adjust your approach.

The only thing I would actually ask for is to not have amplify nut punch launch that horizontally. If it can launch the same distance as mkx, it would make things hit a bit easier. Amplify NP, dash, b3, dash f4 NP is pretty tight. If the launching doesn't travel as far, doing 1 dash should suffice.

NP amplify dash 121 shadow kick also whiffs sometimes on female hitboxes like Jacqui and Cassie (the 2nd or 3rd hit of the 121 iirc).
If F3 is a high then a crushing blow should be the second attack in F44 along with one on his shadow kick.
I swear people on twitch chat are so dumb, claiming Johnny has no whiffing issues and some d1s whiff on cage lol
Precisely why democracies never last, and Scorpion never gets balanced.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
I'm at work right now so I can't check it for myself right now, but a thought occurred to me while thinking of the differences in gameplay between Cassie and Johnny. While I do feel that Johnny's Nutpunch KB should be the same as Cassie (3 AMPed Nutpunches), does his AMPed NUtpunch Krushing Blow off of a combo that punishes/counters, or does it have to be the raw Nutpunch AMPed that activates the Krushing Blow on counter/punish?

If it can do that in a combo, that's something we can work with due to Johnny's whiff punish tools that can set up into AMPed Nutpunch, although he still needs more than that, since he'd only have 2 usuable KBs (that one and the D2).

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I'm at work right now so I can't check it for myself right now, but a thought occurred to me while thinking of the differences in gameplay between Cassie and Johnny. While I do feel that Johnny's Nutpunch KB should be the same as Cassie (3 AMPed Nutpunches), does his AMPed NUtpunch Krushing Blow off of a combo that punishes/counters, or does it have to be the raw Nutpunch AMPed that activates the Krushing Blow on counter/punish?

If it can do that in a combo, that's something we can work with due to Johnny's whiff punish tools that can set up into AMPed Nutpunch, although he still needs more than that, since he'd only have 2 usuable KBs (that one and the D2).
Has to be raw.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano

It only triggers if it's Nutpunch itself that is the punisher. There are a few moves it could work on, but then pushback is also a factor - so it's kinda rare. Maybe Kung Lao's spin cause it leaves him right it front of us, but even then, the NP krushing blow is underwhelming in damage.. I would just go for f344 or jab punish links to be consistent

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
You sound......pissed off. I respect it.
Haha. I am! I'm finally pissing around with the non-tournament moves. PIssed Off is cool, but I'm not sure its actually useful beyond damage. I was hoping Stunt Double shit was good, but there's clearly no setups for it whatsoever. Cage kinda sucks.

Haha. I am! I'm finally pissing around with the non-tournament moves. PIssed Off is cool, but I'm not sure its actually useful beyond damage. I was hoping Stunt Double shit was good, but there's clearly no setups for it whatsoever. Cage kinda sucks.
I honestly think if we could have Pissed Off, Cage Rage, and Rising Star in a variation JC would be top 10.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I honestly think if we could have Pissed Off, Cage Rage, and Rising Star in a variation JC would be top 10.
Let's not go crazy. Those moves wont win us shit. Rising Star might as well be Flippy kick, and PIssed off just leaves the opponent too far away to continue pressure. They don't fix the fundamental problems with Cage....Mainly, lack of Krushing Blows and whiffing.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
JC mains, is it better to end with 121 bf4 or F4, Nut Punch midscreen? Seems like we are trading damage for pressure?

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
That's the idea. You end with Shadow Kick to cash out for damage, or you opt for Nut Punch to keep your opponent nice and close for further mix ups. Both enders are valid, though you'll want to lean towards one or the other depending on the match up. I def don't wanna knock Skarlet back to fullscreen lol

Let's not go crazy. Those moves wont win us shit. Rising Star might as well be Flippy kick, and PIssed off just leaves the opponent too far away to continue pressure. They don't fix the fundamental problems with Cage....Mainly, lack of Krushing Blows and whiffing.
Ha! I knew as soon as I posted that I was wrong. Beer talking, lol. But Rising Star is significantly better than Flippy Kick IMO. It gives us a 7 frame reversal and Amplified gives us an OH option that is -4 on block similar to Cassie's BF4. Amp Flippy Kick is -20 on block, LMAO! But your absolutely right, he needs better KB' s and the whiffing issues need to be addressed before anything.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
JC mains, is it better to end with 121 bf4 or F4, Nut Punch midscreen? Seems like we are trading damage for pressure?
You can actually go with the compromise between the two and end with flippy kick. Flippy leaves them in sweep range so that you still have options - dash up and grab, f344, catch them with a f4 if they want to neutral duck. I just don't like sending the broken characters fullscreen effectively giving up my turn.. Once Erron starts throwing his shit on the ground it's a long haul - So I keep him close :cool:

After amp NP, I always do B2, f4, NP its harder to hit but its worth it once oyu get the timing down. Mixups for days. Once I get the NP, I can either do d1/d4 into NP if they mash or go for throw mixups or do 124, then follow up with f4 4 for those juicy frame traps. the last one is risky because of the annoying ass D2 fatal blow

D

Deleted member 35141

So I think people underrate frost she has so much damn range, mix ups and she is safe look at the damn frame data.

NOT TO MENTION SHE JUST BLOCKED A AMPLIFIED NUT PUNCH WTF THIS GAME IS EXAUSTING

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Is there any use to flip kick at all? Like, any? It’s always struck me as weird how it’s seen as a staple of Johnny’s moveset even though it feels like it has no use outside of a cool animation.