What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

I'm confused. I just tried to come back to the game, I missed the good JC timeline apparently, I'm using Shock Jock and he feels awful to me. He feels worse than launch JC. Which I hated launch JC.

I don't understand how he is top 5 still?

He has no mid game. D3 & D4 are getting stuffed by more things than I feel It should be. He has 0 natural OH pressure. Almost all of his strings start with a High. Some of his frame traps from before don't seem to work the same. Whiffing issues still. Plus frames are gone.

I mean... Is the camera variation where It's at or??? What am I missing here? Halp?
Shock Jock is the struggle bus. It actually is worse now, then at launch due to his plus frames being nerfed, so don’t go there. Showstopper and Outtake is the wave, which Outtake being arguably his best variation. I still main Showstopper for the sweet sweet damage

Pyrosis

Gentlemen, behold! My opinion!
Time your meaty so that his mids hit on wake up
Get around 3,000 options for continuing pressure off of just doing that the whole game
????
Profit

Even if you're losing just remember that your comeback potential is second only to Joker when you're down to FB health. You can autopilot pressure the entire game as long as you're minding when the Highs hit. Idk what could be consistently blowing up your down 3s and 4s cause they're some of the best pokes in the game.

Espio

Jax Whacks Hacks Across Their Backs
Lead Moderator
I'm confused. I just tried to come back to the game, I missed the good JC timeline apparently, I'm using Shock Jock and he feels awful to me. He feels worse than launch JC. Which I hated launch JC.

I don't understand how he is top 5 still?

He has no mid game. D3 & D4 are getting stuffed by more things than I feel It should be. He has 0 natural OH pressure. Almost all of his strings start with a High. Some of his frame traps from before don't seem to work the same. Whiffing issues still. Plus frames are gone.

I mean... Is the camera variation where It's at or??? What am I missing here? Halp?
Outtake and Showstopper been the wave for most of the game's life.

Johnny's down 4 should be one of his main pokes and it is really good and goes under a lot of things. Down 4 is plus enough to jail into his Forward 3 string which is -2 and can also be used as a stagger option. A lot of his strings also reset neutral at +1 with space. Johnny does well in spacing and whiff punishing the opponent by baiting them into counter poke scenarios.

Forward 4,4 isn't the best mid ever, but it is -5 and decent speed. Johnny is more like characters like Baraka and D'vorah where they jail you off their poke and other high hit advantage options.

Outtake has the safe special, solid zoning and keeps the nut punch launcher that Shock Jock has and Showstopper has the damage/huge comeback potential.

I'm not speaking on tier placement of Johnny, but he is very much still a very strong character.

By the sound of things, you should play Outtake for safety and more of a well rounded zoning game.