What's new

MK11 is on a heavily modified UE3! (explanation inside)

Kind of sad when they had literally like 4-5 years to actually get the ball running on a completely new engine then to go and falsely advertise as if they have a new engine is downright despicable.

Also answers the question as to why the animations still look sloppier than ever and the facial models look horrendous.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
+Skylight1 Who cares if it's a new engine or not? Most games now reuse previous engines slightly modified/updated. Game looks amazing regardless much better than any other fighter.

The faces look fine, animations look much better. lol Not sure what some people are looking at. Even most on here who didn't like previous game animations loved the smoothness of the animations, moves etc during the event. Haters gonna hate.

Last edited:
My theory is that the word "engine" was thrown around here and there to glorify their improvements in their new tools written specifically to push this game to the next level.I also thought i heard they were using unreal 4.In the multiple interviews during and after the review, i think i remember Ed saying its a new engine or someone else may have. I'm not sure.

I think the word "engine" can be thrown around loosely to describe new approaches to the overall design. It's safe to assume the general public doesn't have an understanding on how model and material assets are created in a game's pipeline. Unreal's engine potential is constantly being pushed alongside the 3D artists learning new techniques and the technical artists writing new tools. The tools written by the technical artists continue to evolve how much graphical information can be represented while still conserving memory usage etc.

I thinking calling new tech and innovation's created in house would be going over the public's head and using a blanket term like "new engine" is something we all have heard enough to generally understand from a player standpoint.

J_in_CA

Noob
Most of the time when a dev says it's a new engine they've just heavily modified the existing one. It's not like Frostbite gets trashed and started over from scratch, they just go in and improve everything and call it a new engine. I think it's hard to argue that this game doesn't look significantly better than any other fighting game this gen, hell it's up there as one of the better looking games of this generation.

I believe it was one of the retail sites that said it had a new graphics engine, they could have reworked everything so much from what it started out as that it is for all intents and purposes a new engine.

The frame was also changed out for an identical looking frame. Every piece of the boat was replaced one after the other.
You can't replace the frame of a boat, it's either you keep the old one and replace the wood planks or you take a new identical frame and you create a new boat out of it. But in the end the results will remain the same if you take the exact same boat frame.

Prima Italia

Italia per sempre
I think there is a lot of confusion here. An engine is a suite of programs that help you create a game. A developer can add to these programs therefore upgrading the engine and tailoring to their liking. NRS has been doing that with their Unreal Engine 3. It might as well be called the NRS engine.

It is a new engine, in that the engine is an improved version of the engine they had in MKX and Injustice. NRS are always iterating on the engine and one of the easiest way to tell is the graphics get better with each entry.

Just because the engine is still called Unreal Engine 3 does not mean it is same as the engine as the one used in MKX. It helps if you do not think about the name at all.

For example, Titanfall 2, which released in 2016, uses the Source engine. Half Life 2, which was released in 2004, also runs on the Source engine. Does that mean Titanfall 2 runs on the same engine as Half Life 2? Could you create Titanfall 2 with the same engine tools as Half Life 2? the answer to both obviously is no. The Source engine has been constantly been updating and the engine becoming more robust.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
You can't replace the frame of a boat, it's either you keep the old one and replace the wood planks or you take a new identical frame and you create a new boat out of it. But in the end the results will remain the same if you take the exact same boat frame.
Although I don't for a second buy the idea that it is physically impossible to replace the frame of a boat, let's make this much simpler and say we're dealing with a raft instead of a boat. There, no frame. Just individual beams every one of which is perfectly equal!

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I think there is a lot of confusion here. An engine is a suite of programs that help you create a game. A developer can add to these programs therefore upgrading the engine and tailoring to their liking. NRS has been doing that with their Unreal Engine 3. It might as well be called the NRS engine.

It is a new engine, in that the engine is an improved version of the engine they had in MKX and Injustice. NRS are always iterating on the engine and one of the easiest way to tell is the graphics get better with each entry.

Just because the engine is still called Unreal Engine 3 does not mean it is same as the engine as the one used in MKX. It helps if you do not think about the name at all.

For example, Titanfall 2, which released in 2016, uses the Source engine. Half Life 2, which was released in 2004, also runs on the Source engine. Does that mean Titanfall 2 runs on the same engine as Half Life 2? Could you create Titanfall 2 with the same engine tools as Half Life 2? the answer to both obviously is no. The Source engine has been constantly been updating and the engine becoming more robust.
There's still a big difference between that and scrapping it for UE4. The original Source engine is not the same as Source 2, and it's the same concept when they majorly overhaul the engine. UE3->upgraded UE3 isn't nearly as massive.

The broader point is though, it doesn't matter from our perspective. A good game is a good game. All that matters is that it's pretty and it plays well; the rest is just details.

Last edited:

Poto2222

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015.
I remember when they used to proudly and openly say that their games were running on UE3 back in the day when they were promoting MKvsDCU and MK9.

Now they kind of just talk about it if someone specifically asks what engine their most recent games are running on, despite the fact that they made some heavy changes to the original engine. And sometimes even delete tweets about it, I guess? Weird.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I remember when they used to proudly and openly say that their games were running on UE3 back in the day when they were promoting MKvsDCU and MK9.

Now they kind of just talk about it if someone specifically asks what engine their most recent games are running on, despite the fact that they made some heavy changes to the original engine. And sometimes even delete tweets about it, I guess? Weird.
I mean, it's kind of obvious why. The public doesn't know how this works, and they'd just assume UE3 = "Outdated tech" or that the game would automatically be better if it'd been done on UE4.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
Damn, its amazing really. Think about it,they're using the same engine they made MKvsDc with. I welcome it, UE4 is kind of terrible for fighting games, the input lag was unbearable for Sfv and Tekken 7,it took them a a good while to reduce it, Capcom reduced it twice already to get it to a normal 4f of input delay.

falsely advertise as if they have a new engine
Just because people misinterpreted their use of "new engine" doesn't make it false advertising. Like i mentioned earlier, UE/Unity/Source can be seen as a platform or base to build within or on, what they create to make the fighting/graphic style work is what they refer to as their "engine".

Also answers the question as to why the animations still look sloppier than ever and the facial models look horrendous.
Oh really? Pretty much everything that people have been posting up until now has been praising how good the game looks and plays. Even that Abitorial youtuber that picked apart MKX noted that MK11's animations looked better in what has been seen so far.

Given that people up until now thought it was UE4 shows that it doesn't matter, so long as it looks and plays good.

v
Yeah, not sure who thought this was a new engine. You could tell immediately from the reveal that graphically it looks like an updated version of the same codebase from MKX.
Curious how people only always seem to knew these things after-the-fact, and keep schtum until it is confirmed by sources... then coming out to claim the prize.

I call this the "Bible Code Phenomenon"...

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
v
Curious how people only always seem to knew these things after-the-fact, and keep schtum until it is confirmed by sources... then coming out to claim the prize.

I call this the "Bible Code Phenomenon"...

I said this on reveal day in the discussion. As did Ketchup and Mustard soon after.

It’s not like some big mystery though; MK11 resembles MKX outside of the gameplay.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Honestly, while the backgrounds in MK X and MK 11 could be comparable, it's pretty obvious the faces and animations are a lot smoother, better looking in MK 11 than MK X. More crisp, detailed.

Damn, its amazing really. Think about it,they're using the same engine they made MKvsDc with. I welcome it, UE4 is kind of terrible for fighting games, the input lag was unbearable for Sfv and Tekken 7,it took them a a good while to reduce it, Capcom reduced it twice already to get it to a normal 4f of input delay.
Good point. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Sometimes developers rework things entirely and it doesn't turn out as good as they would have hoped.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
could anybody explain what the unreal 4 engine is? what is the differences between unreal 3 and 4?
An engine is a framework which runs the systems necessary to create a virtual space in which objects interact based on preprogrammed and user-controlled functions.
The engine is the box in which you play with your toys.

Unreal Engine is the Unreal game's toolkit, updated to 4 major versions over the decades, with numerous smaller version updates to each.
Companies like Blizzard have their own engines while smaller companies tend to buy Unreal, Unity, Cryengine etc.

Updates to an engine are done by the engine manufacturer, but once purchased you can dig into it at any level your crew is capable of and change anything you like.

NRS are no amateurs, their heavily modified U3 engine is probably more suitable for what they need to do with MK11 than the changes made to the engine in version 4.