What's new

MK1 Tier List Discussion Thread

I wonder, is there any secret sause for Scorpion and Sub-Zero that NRS is aware of? Also, where would you place Nitara if she had full HP?
I doubt it. The amount of time and effort put into them at this point is absurd, and if top level players and the creative casual crowd aren't finding shit that matters, there's no way NRS is just sitting on some magical thing they all didn't notice.

God knows sub for example can, in theory, do a lot with some of the kameos outside of lao, but at the same time, playing the game vs the likes of cage/kenshi/whatever he needs lao.

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
If I may ask, why does everyone place Kitana so high? I've seen she has really good damage, but I tried her out in training mode, and her strings and moves feel kinda wonky to me.

When this semester ends and I actually have time, I'm finally gonna move on from Sub-Zero and learn a new character. I was really hoping to learn the princess, as she was my main in MK9, but sadly I haven't really liked how she's played in any game since :(

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
If I may ask, why does everyone place Kitana so high? I've seen she has really good damage, but I tried her out in training mode, and her strings and moves feel kinda wonky to me.

When this semester ends and I actually have time, I'm finally gonna move on from Sub-Zero and learn a new character. I was really hoping to learn the princess, as she was my main in MK9, but sadly I haven't really liked how she's played in any game since :(
My impression from watching top players play her is that she is pretty much a Liu Kang 2.0 - straightforward gameplay, decent damage, safe strings that are good at making people whiff and get punished, good spacing and good zoning.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium

She and Liu both are "they're simply good for a fighting game" characters: zoning options, anti-zoning options, great damage, decent to good pressure, decent chip, and good safety. Kitana also has the luxuries of above average zoning, fantastic damage considering she can do it all meterless and off every single touch (with no kameo required aside from her 11 string), hardcore lockdown in the corner with Wind Bomb loops, and a consistent enough basekit to be able to juggle kameos as desired based on matchup. Same idea as Cassie was in MK11: nothing insane, nothing super special, just at a minimum "good" at every single range.

To your last point, Kitana is lacking her fan juggle combos this time around yet again like MK11. However, her most efficient damage in the corner involves the equivalent of fan juggling via multiple fan-nados. She's also lacking her exciting assassin style from MKX; but that appears to have been an outlier because MK9, MK11, and MK1 don't include it at all.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I miss assassin kitana the most out of every character from mkx, even Shinnok and deceptive Reptile, which were my mains. Doing instant air floats into strings cancelled into either EX Sharpen or Parry was fucking amazing. It looked kinda similar to what Nitara's air dashes combos look now, but much more crispier, and you could cancel, hold and slightly delay the timing on almost everything while also having sneaky lows everywhere. :(

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
So I watched SonicFox’s tier list video and after explaining all of his placements, he gives a demonstration on some of the main reasons why he thinks Sindel is a top 3-5 character. Most of it, kinda like with Rain/Baraka and Cyrax is due to the Kameo, which of course that Kameo is Kung Lao. She has some really dirty stuff with Kung Lao (like a lot of characters do), but the stuff she can do in particular seems insanely good. She has immaculate setplay, can punish you or at the very least pressure you and put you in a block string for trying to do pretty much anything, she has really good zoning (again made better by KL), she has good damage, and her setups are either unblockables or hard-to-blockables. No wonder he has her so high on the tier list, she seems straight up broken when used with KL.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
SonicFox Tier List (Ordered)

View attachment 21243

Mileena, Baraka and Havik placings surprised me. I was also expecting Sub-Zero and Scorpion to be one tier lower.
4 comments from me:

1. I don’t love S+ tier cause I don’t think the best characters are that far a part in terms of power.

I see S+ I think MK9 Kabal or Cyrax, IGAU Martian Manhunter/Zod/Batgirl. Characters that literally dominate the game and make you want to put the controller down. I don’t really see that in this game.

2. Sonic is definitely bright for having Reiko and Shang that high.

3. Sub-Zero is B tier. Maybe worse.

4. Kung Lao is up there in the highest tiers.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
4 comments from me:

1. I don’t love S+ tier cause I don’t think the best characters are that far a part in terms of power.

I see S+ I think MK9 Kabal or Cyrax, IGAU Martian Manhunter/Zod/Batgirl. Characters that literally dominate the game and make you want to put the controller down. I don’t really see that in this game.

2. Sonic is definitely bright for having Reiko and Shang that high.

3. Sub-Zero is B tier. Maybe worse.

4. Kung Lao is up there in the highest tiers.
I dont care if it's literally coming from the mouth of the best fighting game player in the world.

No one can convince me Havik is bottom 3.

This is Order Realm propaganda.
Y’all should watch his video explaining the placements and also explaining why he has an S+ tier.

He also explained that no character in the game is “bad” and he believes every character can technically win a major. So that’s why there’s no B tier. He originally had a B tier with Scorpion and Sub there, but then after thinking about it and discussing it with other top players in his chat, he changed it to having no B tier. And I think Havik’s placement is just more of a result of the other characters being a bit better, but a lot of the characters in each tier can be interchangeable with one a another

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Y’all should watch his video explaining the placements and also explaining why he has an S+ tier.

He also explained that no character in the game is “bad” and he believes every character can technically win a major. So that’s why there’s no B tier. He originally had a B tier with Scorpion and Sub there, but then after thinking about it and discussing it with other top players in his chat, he changed it to having no B tier. And I think Havik’s placement is just more of a result of the other characters being a bit better, but a lot of the characters in each tier can be interchangeable with one a another

Yeah I watched it and I have huge respect for Sonic, but Sub-Zero is bad.

He has good tools, so people just look at his tools and think he’s good. But a character is about more than just tools, a character is about their strategy.

Sub-Zero has no real strategy that scares any good player. He has gimmicks that are a nuisance at best.

Ashrah + Sareena is real strategy . Baraka/Raiden + Cyrax was scary. Liu Kang/Smoke + Lao hat is a real strategy. Reptile invisibility.

Sub-Zero’s strategy used to be klone trapping. He slides you into the corner, sets up clone, now you’re stuck guessing. Or he sets up a klone mid screen and you’re forced to eat his projectiles and kameos. But they nerfed that into the ground.

In fact people always ask why Sub-Zero’s ice ball is so slow, it’s because he’s supposed to be able to stand behind klone and throw it. But they nerfed klone and never improved the ice ball!

Now when a Sub-Zero player goes into a match he just hopes and prays that his opponent makes dumb mistakes and doesn’t know the matchup. (Which fortunately most people don’t because they’re bad at fighting games. And even then it’s still a struggle.)

Sub-Zero players are forced to play a generic playstyle of strike/throw, keepaway, and whiff punishing that even story mode NPCs can play. And his best move has a 4 second cooldown.

So to me the character is bad. He has good tools, but those tools don’t currently work in a cohesive way to create a strong strategy. They did in the beta though. Which is why Sub-Zero players were so excited during that time. The people who play him day in and day out will agree with most of this.

E92814A6-A4DB-445B-9C03-C10051499A5F.jpeg
5568A1DA-32F4-4326-BAAB-53CACF4ADFB2.jpeg

This wouldn’t be the first time a character had good tools and was still bad.

Edit: There are also two kamoes (Sub-Zero and Tremor) that ignore half of Sub-Zeros moveset.

Last edited:
I've been a Sub main since the beta and while he was obviously better there, he's still very good in this game. I've already talked about this in the Sub thread so I won't get into details unless people are interested, but I noticed a few comments here talking about his viability only being with Kung Lao (disagree, been using Sonya the whole time and don't plan on changing) or having no game plan (again, disagree, he actually has a few different play styles you can go with but most lean around zoning, anti-zoning, and whiff punishing). I'd say he's solid middle of the pack among the roster because he has few bad MUs, and is being slept on a bit. Not saying NRS shouldn't buff him. They don't know anything we don't; they're just generally bad at balancing. Oh, and in case anyone is wondering if I'm only talking about low level matches with him, I got to God pretty easily last season with him and could have probably gotten to Elder if I had more time. I've also played in a tournament with him (got top 8), and I'd suggest anyone who wants to see Sub doing well check out LimboDawg in some other tournaments TNS has covered.

Alright, this is a question for people who, like me, understand the game pretty well, but definitely consider themselves casuals. I'm one of those guys who will get to Demi-God and win about 60% of their matches along the way, and once I get to Demi-God, I'm like 50-50. So, if that describes you, this question is for you. Interested in other perspectives, as well, but hope to hear from others like me the most.

Question first, then general reasoning. I've played MK11 and MK1. Within the last two NRS games, I think Omni-Man might be the most broken at the skill level I'm talking about. Do people agree?

I know every character is hard to deal with when they first come out. This is different -- I don't think there's a character from either of the last two games that can more thoroughly and completely ignore neutral and cheese people for significant damage with such minimal execiution. And, as long as they don't nerf Lao hat, it feels completely sustainable for the life of the game. Like, I can lab til the cows come home, but:
  • He's 30-35% meterless into a +40 Lao hat setup on knockdown for a hard-to-blockable jump-in on every hit if he wants to be.
  • He's holding Lao hat and doing Air-BF4 into a full-screen hard-to-blockable.
  • He's air-dashing back to full-screen in a microsecond any time he doesn't want to be near me.
  • He's going into stance at full screen with a life lead, eliminating projectiles and teleporting behind me any time he wants as I close the distance.
  • He's smashing me in the face with a 12-frame half-screen advancing armored attack when I try to close distance.
  • He's got a 2-hit, 14-frame low attack that negates armor on wakeup, and, when you put Lao hat behind it, is either plus on block or does 13% on hit.
  • He's got a 17-frame advancing mid string that you can mindlessly put Lao hat behind, because it somehow still connects for a combo even after the Hat hits.
  • All his damage is meterless so he's always got Breaker ready if you hit him.
There's lots of other more "regular" good stuff in his buttons and specials, but the bullets here are the pure cheese. My controller is going through a window soon. Interested to hear what people think.

I don't have a great answer, but I just want to say I think it's funny that after dodging this bullet on launch, we're back dealing with the same problem Kabal was causing so long ago. Turns out if you give a character really good meterless options, they just have more HP than everyone else, and if the meter options are still ACTUALLY good, then they also get good tools and damage when they need it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Alright, this is a question for people who, like me, understand the game pretty well, but definitely consider themselves casuals. I'm one of those guys who will get to Demi-God and win about 60% of their matches along the way, and once I get to Demi-God, I'm like 50-50. So, if that describes you, this question is for you. Interested in other perspectives, as well, but hope to hear from others like me the most.

Question first, then general reasoning. I've played MK11 and MK1. Within the last two NRS games, I think Omni-Man might be the most broken at the skill level I'm talking about. Do people agree?

I know every character is hard to deal with when they first come out. This is different -- I don't think there's a character from either of the last two games that can more thoroughly and completely ignore neutral and cheese people for significant damage with such minimal execiution. And, as long as they don't nerf Lao hat, it feels completely sustainable for the life of the game. Like, I can lab til the cows come home, but:
  • He's 30-35% meterless into a +40 Lao hat setup on knockdown for a hard-to-blockable jump-in on every hit if he wants to be.
  • He's air-dashing back to full-screen in a microsecond any time he doesn't want to be near me.
  • He's going into stance at full screen with a life lead, eliminating projectiles and teleporting behind me any time he wants as I close the distance.
  • He's smashing me in the face with a 12-frame half-screen advancing armored attack when I try to close distance.
  • He's got a 2-hit, 14-frame low attack that negates armor on wakeup, and, when you put Lao hat behind it, is either plus on block or does 13% on hit.
  • He's got a 17-frame advancing mid string that you can mindlessly put Lao hat behind, because it somehow still connects for a combo even after the Hat hits.
There's lots of other more "regular" good stuff in his buttons and specials, but the bullets here are the pure cheese. My controller is going through a window soon. Interested to hear what people think.
Omni-Man definitely is the quintessential “fuck neutral” character. He can not only bypass neutral at every spot on the screen, his own neutral is good in and of itself. And, he can full screen whiff punish certain moves and he can actually combo off of his full screen overhead teleport in the corner, and/or off of certain Kameos.

The characters that can do things like this are always the most complained about characters. And I’m not implying that the complaints are silly or anything, it makes sense why these types of characters are complained about. The “fuck neutral” characters in the past NRS games always tend to be characters with a teleport or just, of course, characters with any other neutral bypassing tools. This is one of the reasons Supergirl in Inj2 and Scorpion in MK11 were complained about so much despite them arguably not being top 5 characters. Then of course the actual broken characters with these tools like Martian Manhunter in Injustice. Being able to effectively ignore neutral for the most part makes it to where you don’t have to put in nearly as much work in order to be effective or to win. This is why characters with these tools tend to be some of the most played characters, especially in NRS games. Another factor that makes these types of characters so strong is the fact that you have to play against them completely differently than other characters. Now, obviously you have to play every MU differently from one another, what I mean is that the MU is especially unique in how you have to approach it.

Omni-Man is no question very difficult to play against. And since as I said he’s very easy to use and be effective with, you’re not only going to run into him a lot, he’s going to be difficult to beat no matter the skill level of your opponent. Which usually is what frustrates most people about these types of characters. Especially since playing neutral is a big part of fighting games and being good at playing neutral often separates players skill levels and is an aspect that widens the skill gap. And just about all of his neural bypassing tools are either safe or can be made safe with Kameos. Which, Kameos are definitely something that makes a character like Omni-Man that much more dangerous and frustrating to play against.

Anyway, as far as advice, there’s not a whole lot I can offer you at the moment. I haven’t labbed the MU in depth yet. So the best advice I can offer you is general advice. Like go into training mode and record Omni-Man doing any of his specials and try to find ways around them or to punish them. Or just figure out a gameplan for when you block his stuff, as in what you’re going to do once you do block it if you can’t punish it. You and everyone reading this probably already know all of this but it doesn’t hurt to be reminded of how useful the training mode can be!

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I must be a very specific case, as I have no trouble against Omni Man at all. I'd say Raiden, Cage, Kenshi, Ashrah, Mileena, Sindel, Tanya, Liu Kang and Nitara, when played at the same level, give me much more trouble. You just upblock his overhead from fullscreen and contest his staggers. Also block his wakeup armor. I dunno, every single omni man I've faced played the exact same.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Man... Not to be pessimistic, but Omni-Man should be the LEAST of your concerns with Sindel running around. I'll play 5000 "neutral skip: the character" before I face one high level Sindel with her mind numbing vortex. Talk about skill less... That bitch can zone you for days and then set you up for a legitimate 50/50 that can't be armored. Guess wrong twice and you lose. Fuck that shit

M2Dave

Zoning Master
@RaisedOnMarioKart

You are only 100% right about Omni-Man, and if a zoning character were this easy yet effective to use, there would be a riot on Twitter and he or she would be nerfed tomorrow morning.

However, I feel like there is a match up factor involved with Omni-Man, too. Characters who can essentially enforce a vortex (i.e., Kenshi and Sindel) or regulate and punish the viltrumite stance from long ranges without the use of projectiles (i.e., Ashrah, Johnny Cage, Mileena, Raiden, Tanya, etc.) will perform well against Omni-Man. I am aware that I am listing the top tier and/or some of the better characters in the game, but prominent players like Sonic Fox and Tweedy have most recently ranked Omni-Man as high mid tier, arguably for the reasons mentioned above.

I'm not one bit scared of Omni-Man anymore. At first I was scared because of the f neutral tools. But all of them are punishable unless Lao is charged.
His B11 has a duckable high if you crouch block and you should be fuzzying low to overhead.
His 222 is flawless block punishable.
His 12 has a Armor gap.
His EX and regular Vitramite Stance is very punishable.
You need to go in practice and beat it into muscle memory, but his HTBs are all overhead to low because that's how they are safe. They have to time it 4 frames apart or second hit turns into a mid that's auto blocked and a 4 Frame HTB is easy to fuzzy and that's why you see pros blocking the HTBs nearly every time. The sky drop with Lao hitting after is shutdown with UpBlock because not only does it make it punishable if no Kameo to make it plus but it completely stops all following buttons after for 30+ frames.
If you are scouting Vitramite Stance into F+R2 the teleport behind, you can punish with hit/throw mix or just 50/50. Omni-Man is far less likely to EX Stance into teleport behind.
EX Vitramite Stance is punishable by several specials, lows and jump ins.

He is honestly top of mid tier and Sonics new Tier list validates my placement.
He's clearly a good character but he has counterplay.

Man... Not to be pessimistic, but Omni-Man should be the LEAST of your concerns with Sindel running around. I'll play 5000 "neutral skip: the character" before I face one high level Sindel with her mind numbing vortex. Talk about skill less... That bitch can zone you for days and then set you up for a legitimate 50/50 that can't be armored. Guess wrong twice and you lose. Fuck that shit
Just block low to overhead with fuzzy and you beat her Vortex HTB.
She can't land overhead to low with JIP's 1 or 2 because of the timing to cover all wakeup options.
Only way she can land overhead first is JIK and that completely shuts down her juggle, F43 doesn't pop up after and it's way harder to combo after it at the timing to cover wakeup options, you have to wavedash into F1xxBF2 wavedash F1xxFlipkick for 20%ish F4 won't connect. The reason she can Vortex with JIP is the F4 ender and the time she keeps them juggled which regens another Charged Lao Hat in time to JIP again.
They can't delete your life if they overhead to low with JIK so just low to overhead, it's a 4 Frame HTB so not hard to fuzzy.
Just lab it into muscle memory like any punish combo.

I hope they add a Regen delay to Charged Low hat, somewhere around 5 seconds so it can't be Vortexed like Dragon, Sonic and Xombat are asking for.
I honestly don't need it and for me it's not that strong unless opponent doesn't fuzzy or doesn't know her options on it.

I hope I explained it right:

I honestly think her neutral HTB is harder to deal with (non vortex) because I can hold Lao hat after JIP or let hat hit before JIP for a low to overhead/overhead to low true 50/50 HTB. There's options against it but most players freeze up when they see Lao Hat charging. But that's an HTB every character has with Jump in+ charged hat.

I'm not saying The JIP HTB Vortex isn't strong but if they are doing it perfectly to stuff every wakeup option but delay wakeup beating backdash, D2, Jump, Armor WU then you can absolutely Fuzzy Guard it. But they can add many layers by waiting with float and even empty jump into throw where they are not covering wakeup options and not making it a actual Vortex that covers all wakeup options. Just the threat of it being there allows these layers.

But most God to Demi God players online will try to do the low to overhead JIP HTB that stuffs wakeups because they are wanting to do the perfect timing at least all the ones I've played and it got me out of it a couple times a match which got me enough to win those matches.
I can do very similar setups with Rain, Geras and a few others in the corner that do loop HTBs. Rain has one you set pool behind them just enough that you can throw them back into whirlpool for launch and if you hit them with any string it hits them into the low whirlpool.
I can backdash a slightly different distance to make the whirlpool look behind them but actually hit low on first frame allowing Armor break with his double overhead into 40% into another HTB setup. And Rain does it with Jax midscreen using jump cancel combos.
Example of armor breaking version and how the threat of throw opens up your life deleted fast:

Last edited:

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia

You basically described me in the 1st paragraph and I can 100% agree with you. Glad Im not the only one thinking that way. And its basically another reason to dislike Omnishit and other guest characters for me.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
At the risk of being to simplistic , sub kameo and forward dash kinda fucks up onmiman plus lao just got to know to dahs forward as soon as u see the stance

I've played MK11 and MK1. Within the last two NRS games, I think Omni-Man might be the most broken at the skill level I'm talking about
This is MK9 Kabal and I'm am telling you MK9 is 5x as fast and far more "broke" that anything in MK1:

Here's the highest level of the two best characters in MK9, complete lockdown zoning with Kabal not only that but has an instant full screen dash that combos, dash cancels that cost nothing and are plus on block and 50/50's all day at lightning fast speed, plus on block pokes, player 1 advantage.
Cyrax has 100% resets with Unblockable bombs that he can jail you into with blockstring pressure on a single touch.

Mortal Kombat X had a run button, lightning fast mixups with cancel pressure that's all plus, resets, Unblockables, crazy 1 frame HTBs
Here's Ninjakilla using Dragons Fire Liu Kang:

Rewind and Ninjakilla MKX multiple characters:

I can't find Summoner Quan unblockable HTB into resets but it was crazy broke

MKX also had Cyrax pre-patch with HTB setups and resets and loads of F neutral tools.
Forgot about Acidic Alien:

MK11 was the most toned down snore fest I've ever played. I know some liked it but I feel strongly about most competitive players hating the poke/throw meta with scrubby Krushing Blows with only a couple buttons to do 30-35% very low execution.

There's actual counterplay in MK1

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
The take of a washed up old man....

Any feedback is welcome since Tom, Crimson, and I may use this tier list as a base for the podcast whenever we decide to discuss this topic.

I wonder which effect, if any, Tremor will bring to the meta...

S+ Cage, Kenshi

S Ashrah, Raiden, Sindel

A+ Liu Kang, Tanya, Kung Lao, Geras, Mileena, Kitana, Omni-Man

A Smoke, Reiko, Li Mei, Shang Tsung, Havik, Baraka

B Rain, Nitara, Reptile, Kahn

C Scorpion, Sub Zero

A couple of miscellaneous notes:
  • The letters are and have always been arbitrary to me. Obviously, the S+ characters in this game are not on the same terms as the S+ characters in Mortal Kombat 9.
  • I am deliberately elevating characters who synergize with Kung Lao and Goro, particularly the former, because I consider Kung Lao and Goro the best kameos in this game.
  • Of course, there are notable exceptions such as Kenshi with Sub Zero, Ashrah with Sareena, and Raiden with Kano.
  • Mortal Kombat 1 is the most balanced Midway/NRS fighting game ever created, ironically so because of the kameo system. You can attach a piece of feces to Kung Lao, and what is left still smells, but there is a functionable and playable character hiding in there somewhere.

Any feedback is welcome since Tom, Crimson, and I may use this tier list as a base for the podcast whenever we decide to discuss this topic.

S+ Cage, Kenshi

S Ashrah, Raiden, Sindel

C Scorpion, Sub Zero

• The letters are and have always been arbitrary to me. Obviously, the S+ characters in this game are not on the same terms as the S+ characters in Mortal Kombat 9.
  • I am deliberately elevating characters who synergize with Kung Lao and Goro, particularly the former, because I consider Kung Lao and Goro the best kameos in this game.
  • Of course, there are notable exceptions such as Kenshi with Sub Zero, Ashrah with Sareena, and Raiden with Kano.
  • Mortal Kombat 1 is the most balanced Midway/NRS fighting game ever created, ironically so because of the kameo system. You can attach a piece of feces to Kung Lao, and what is left still smells, but there is a functionable and playable character hiding in there somewhere.
Experimenting with tremor in practice mode,i can tell you he has his version of low hat,the low metallic ball.The difference is it costs full kameo to use it as ambush and its a bit execution heavy to do the call mid ender string to get a good timing setup.

its going to be either do a combo into ambush low metallic ball into a hard to blockable or do combo into crystl armor and go ham.

you could also let them block the low ball hit and have very high plua frames.

on that note alot of his moves when used mid string as an ambus in a block string have very high plus frames,,30+ and more depending on timing,though there can be armor gaps.

Aonther interesting thing is his triple low ground pound,it has otg properties and can allow combos from certain recaptures,for example shai kahn meterless up knee,and both of his hit grabs in the corner.This move unfortunetky also has alot of safeguards so its setplay potential is almost non existant.

i think he synergises perfectly with shao kahn.
But the high costs of using those ambush moves might make him a not so hot pick at the highest level of play,who knows maybe the low metallic set ups and crystl armor will be so good it will be worth the full bar.

this is all based on unofficial accsses so things might be different when he is out.

rifraf

Noob

S+ Cage, Kenshi

S Ashrah, Raiden, Sindel

C Scorpion, Sub Zero

I totally agree with Scorpion and Sub-Zero. However, I strongly disagree with Geras. I get it that there's no much exposure out there for him atm, but fundamentally he's an S tier character. I'm also not entirely certain of the B tier, I feel they could all be in A.