What's new

MK1 Story Spoilers Discussion

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
I understand you feel targeted but does it make sense to you that NRS would make efforts to decide on changes that impact 2% of their MK fanbase? Even if yes, the people who "kinda sorta'' like Cyrax will not care about the gender or superficial changes. I get the feeling you like Cyrax more than Kinda Sorta. And what new take? Changing his gender is not a "new take". An actual new take on the character is what happened to Reptile.
Not really, no. "Kinda sorta" is exactly how I'd describe it.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
Ah, haven't done that yet. Only did 4 characters in Towers so far.

For NetherRealm Studios, Klassic Tower endings aren't canon anyway. Be interesting to see if that changes this time.
Stephanie said on twitter that the endings serve as an epilogue to the story mode, so it's most likely canon now.,

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Ah, haven't done that yet. Only did 4 characters in Towers so far.

For NetherRealm Studios, Klassic Tower endings aren't canon anyway. Be interesting to see if that changes this time.
Stephanie said on twitter that the endings serve as an epilogue to the story mode, so it's most likely canon now.,
What Neon said. All endings are canon (I think), and serve the purpose of bridging the gap between this story mode and the DLC story mode.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Not really, no. "Kinda sorta" is exactly how I'd describe it.
Ok fine, doesnt change the rest of my post lol
i.e.
  1. It doesnt make sense that NRS would make efforts to decide on changes that impact 2% of their MK fanbase.
  2. Changing gender is not what I would qualify as a "new take" on a character who has the development of a potato. Reptile's new background, new agency, new purpose, that's an actual new take.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
Ok fine, doesnt change the rest of my post lol
i.e.
  1. It doesnt make sense that NRS would make efforts to decide on changes that impact 2% of their MK fanbase.
  2. Changing gender is not what I would qualify as a "new take" on a character who has the development of a potato. Reptile's new background, new agency, new purpose, that's an actual new take.
  1. I don't think it's just 2% of the playerbase at all. I think a lot of the "tier 2" classic characters have people who like them but don't feel that strongly about them. I don't think it's the main reason why they decide the things they do, though.
  2. If they're changing the gender, making the character a human and the character has a significant role in the expansion (which i'm assuming is the case) it's safe to assume we get some sort of a new take. Especially considering the lack of development Cyrax and Sektor have.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Why do people claim that Cyrax had no development? He had his allegiance questioned by Raiden in MK9 and got a redemption arc, and he is tormented by the question of how much of his humanity remains in his metallic prison. I'd argue he's got more characterization than other characters who had as much screen time as him. Heck, Bi Han could be argued that he had zero personality and development in the entire MK9-11 trilogy altogether compared to Cyrax.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
  1. I don't think it's just 2% of the playerbase at all. I think a lot of the "tier 2" classic characters have people who like them but don't feel that strongly about them. I don't think it's the main reason why they decide the things they do, though.
  2. If they're changing the gender, making the character a human and the character has a significant role in the expansion (which i'm assuming is the case) it's safe to assume we get some sort of a new take. Especially considering the lack of development Cyrax and Sektor have.
  1. 2% is a random number I chose to get a point across; that Cyrax is not one of the more popular characters evidenced by his absence as in MK11, in MK1 as a main roster character, and his appearance in MKX.
  2. Well until that new take actually comes out, his gender change makes no difference. It's like when Robert Pattinson was cast as Batman. Until you see how this change is implemented, getting annoyed over it is a waste of energy

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Why do people claim that Cyrax had no development? He had his allegiance questioned by Raiden in MK9 and got a redemption arc, and he is tormented by the question of how much of his humanity remains in his metallic prison. I'd argue he's got more characterization than other characters who had as much screen time as him. Heck, Bi Han could be argued that he had zero personality and development in the entire MK9-11 trilogy altogether compared to Cyrax.
Because his chapter lasts 14 min (including the fights) and the development of his arc is rushed to shit lol. What do you expect in 14 mins...
  1. Raiden talks to him.
  2. He gets accosted by Sheeva and Baraka on orders of Shang Tsung.
  3. Confronts Shang, who tells him that speaking to Raiden is jeopordizing their plans
  4. Fights Cage and refuses to kill him because he "used his judgement" since Cage was eliminated anyway
  5. Sektor not happy and tells him the cyber initiative will eliminate insubordination
  6. "We are not machines Sektor! I chose to serve the Lin Kuei but I will not surrender my freedom"
  7. They fight. The end.
Riveting development, truly flushed out. The torment of his humanity, the implications of free will, the conflict of serving a grandmaster while retaining ones own agency. Such development, such exploration, such depth. :DOGE
Yea no hes got skin deep diddly squat bro lol

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Because his chapter lasts 14 min (including the fights) and the development of his arc is rushed to shit lol. What do you expect in 14 mins...
  1. Raiden talks to him.
  2. He gets accosted by Sheeva and Baraka on orders of Shang Tsung.
  3. Confronts Shang, who tells him that speaking to Raiden is jeopordizing their plans
  4. Fights Cage and refuses to kill him because he "used his judgement" since Cage was eliminated anyway
  5. Sektor not happy and tells him the cyber initiative will eliminate insubordination
  6. "We are not machines Sektor! I chose to serve the Lin Kuei but I will not surrender my freedom"
  7. They fight. The end.
Riveting development, truly flushed out. The torment of his humanity, the implications of free will, the conflict of serving a grandmaster while retaining ones own agency. Such development, such exploration, such depth. :DOGE
Yea no hes got skin deep diddly squat bro lol
Still better than anything Bi-Han got in the entire Kronika trilogy. Or Kano.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Ending was ass.

Should've kept it to two timelines, with one version of each character getting merked.

Whoever is writing this tripe needs to be invited to a blanket party.

NRS are masters at giving you what you want in a way that makes you not want it.

People wanted Baraka in MKX and got a Xenomorph with arm blades.

People wanted cyborgs in MK11 and got Frost with a detachable head.

I get why they do it, but I would prefer it if they didn't do it at all.
Oh I argued this as well. Idk if it’s to troll or what but NRS absolutely does this.

I’d argue it’s the same way in MK1. Lots of people wanted the 3D era characters back in this game and while we finally got them back I would argue some of the designs are…iffy at best.

It’s like making a deal with the devil essentially. You might get what you want but it comes with a price with NRS.

my honest opinion.. it’s 2023. I’m all for diversity, inclusion, etc. It’s baffling that some people still discriminate over things like gender, race, etc.

But…

if I’m being honest I’d rather them keep cyrax a guy. Not because I’m against diversity… but because the character itself is a dude. Every character kind of has their sub-fan base apart from the overall MK fan base. All you’re doing is pissing off the group of cyrax diehards. I doubt cyrax Will become anyone’s favorite character now just because he’s now a she. And to those that are prior cyrax fans, it could be seen as a slap in the face to “get your favorite character” in the new MK game but not really.

just my two cents. I think the 2 roster spots would have been better utilized as giving one to a cyrax/sektor combo character (much the same as old/young Shang tsung) and then give the second slot to a female character (sareena, Kira, skarlet, dvorah, etc)

Edit: for the sake of diversity you could even name him…. Bi-borg…. Anyone? Anyone? :DOGE

Last edited:

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
I agreed with you until you said that you want to mix Cyrax and Sektor into one character, which is exact contrary to your previous paragraph.

It will be also a slap in the face for true Cyrax (and now additionally Sektor) fans. Maybe even harder.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Cyrax isn't defined by his gender. Having different genitals changes nothing. If anything, what they changed most is their motivation. From Scorpion's line in story mode, Cyrax has undying loyalty to the Lin Kuei, which is much different from their conflicted feelings about them in the old timeline. We'll see if Sektors Cyber plans will change this again, but seeing how it's just armor now who knows.

I agreed with you until you said that you want to mix Cyrax and Sektor into one character, which is exact contrary to your previous paragraph.

It will be also a slap in the face for true Cyrax (and now additionally Sektor) fans. Maybe even harder.
True. Just an idea. Just thinking you could switch between them with down+L1 like Shang and have two completely different move sets and do combos that involve switching and using the both of them. Kinda reminiscent of the noob/smoke days of old.
I’m not opposed to two fully fleshed out characters in a separate sektor and cyrax either though

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Sending Tanya, Li Mei, Ashrah, or Nitara to the Netherrealm for fucking Cyrax and Sektor is such an easy trade. Especially Sektor, I love him and he’s always a blast to play. 7/23 are already female in this game, which is just under a third of the roster as is, there’s no way that 1/3 of MK players are women, so NRS has already done a great job with female representation, with a varied and interesting set of female characters in the game. Gender flipping Cyrax only serves to alienate Cyrax fans and give Redditors something to pretend they love.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Sending Tanya, Li Mei, Ashrah, or Nitara to the Netherrealm for fucking Cyrax and Sektor is such an easy trade. Especially Sektor, I love him and he’s always a blast to play. 7/23 are already female in this game, which is just under a third of the roster as is, there’s no way that 1/3 of MK players are women, so NRS has already done a great job with female representation, with a varied and interesting set of female characters in the game. Gender flipping Cyrax only serves to alienate Cyrax fans and give Redditors something to pretend they love.
Well, there are a LOT of male players who prefer to play as female characters, so it's not like only a female player would play a female character.

I don't disagree with the people who claim the roster could use a female or two more. No problems there. I just don't like male characters turned into females, and vice versa. I don't want a male Sonya in order to see 'something new' with her. I don't want a male Mileena or male Kitana or male Cetrion.

There are tons of ways to revitalize a character without the need to change their gender, to which some people here claim it's 'not a big deal'. If it's 'not a big deal', why do the switcheroo in the first place? Just leave it as it is since gender 'doesn't matter' to you.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
There's only one female Lin Kuei. It's cool to add another one.

As long as Cyrax isn't ugly then I'm all for this change. Please give me a lightskinned honey

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
Cyrax being genderswapped isn't about inclusion. This era is a reboot. Many familiar characters are being remixed. Cyrax as a woman is part of that and there's no point in bringing the same Cyrax back when we've got his Kameo. I'm surprised NRS aren't doing more of this, because right now is the only chance they'll get to really revamp their classic characters.