What's new

MK1 Story Spoilers Discussion

They will explain why Cyrax is female in their bio… probably Cyrax is just a mantle, kind of like Sub-Zero, so anyone could be “Cyrax”.
I’ll be real if they did this shit they might as well just do away with the story period.

Some people actually give a shit about the story and want to feel invested in the character they play with. When you do this to characters it just kind of defeats the purpose of playing with that character.

Like I’ll be real I love Kuai Liang but HATE playing as Scorpion so until I get Kuai Liang again or a Sub-Zero I can invest it that’s not an edge lord I probably won’t be playing again. I do applaud the Kuai fans who jumped to Scorpion though. Good for you.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
ohhhh really,you went from male or female it doesnt matter,yall mfrs need to touch grass to now suddenly speaking of what makes sens to gender swap and what doesnt hahhahaha,something something deep rooted issues correct??

very interesting indeed,and very amusing to see you abandon your argument so easily.

i tought the gameplay is what matters acording to you?

you are the clown here and you exposed yourself within 1 reply,thank you.
Wtf is this word spaghetti? Dude needs lessons because I elaborated on it being more than just gameplay in later posts. Learn to read instead of getting continuously owned by multiple people.

You bring dishonour to the Shokan. Goro would make you his little errand boy. Fact.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
30 years of established character lore and a loyal fan base,just because he doesnt have a love interest doesnt mean its ok to gender swap him.

You are either ok with any and all gender swaps or with none of them,very simple no inbetween,but looks like some of you insist on being hypocrites
Established character lore? He had 10 mins worth of character development in MK9. Your "30 years" is you just knowing of his existence for 30 years lol

When you bust out the "either all or none", it just indicates you want to think in absolutes and remove all nuance in the argument. When you reduce Kitana to "a girlfriend", you essentially ignore the integral part she plays in the story with relation to sooo many other characters.

You're annoyed that a character you might have grown up with is being changed. I empathize But on the surface, this is a game with vampires, ninjas and movie stars. Gender swapped Cyrax is hardly what I would call a significant change worth getting this angry over.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
My non-issue with Cyrax being female comes with the idea that, during cyberization, it's quite possible that they removed his genitals altogether, along with his personality and humanity. So he is really just a soulless, sexless killing machine, why the fuck would I care if they change his pronouns to she/her? lol

If this is the case of Cyrax (and Sektor) no longer being cyborgs but just super soldiers, it's also fine, cause this is Liu Kang's new era game. We had Joanna Cage, Quantum Chi, HaviKotal and God knows what else during the last segment of the story, I say let this shit rock for a game and, if dumb, just have normal cyrax return in MK2 via multiverse mambo jumbo bullshit.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I now want Cyrax to have a Brutality quote where she takes off her helmet, looks at the camera and says, 'What is a woman?'

Last edited:
Wtf is this word spaghetti? Dude needs lessons because I elaborated on it being more than just gameplay in later posts. Learn to read instead of getting continuously owned by multiple people.

You bring dishonour to the Shokan. Goro would make you his little errand boy. Fact.
Established character lore? He had 10 mins worth of character development in MK9. Your "30 years" is you just knowing of his existence for 30 years lol

When you bust out the "either all or none", it just indicates you want to think in absolutes and remove all nuance in the argument. When you reduce Kitana to "a girlfriend", you essentially ignore the integral part she plays in the story with relation to sooo many other characters.

You're annoyed that a character you might have grown up with is being changed. I empathize But on the surface, this is a game with vampires, ninjas and movie stars. Gender swapped Cyrax is hardly what I would call a significant change worth getting this angry over.
Well this is hilarious,your original sentiment was that gender doesnt matter and that people who care about that have issues.

yet here you both are now listing reasons why gender matters and why a certain other character shouldnt be gender swapped.

thanks for proving my point

Last edited:

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
would be interesting to see if you would think this way or say the same to kitana fans if they decided to make kitana into a dude.

The argument of it doesnt matter if its male or female because the gameplay bro is laughable,cause then we might aswell have all characters be the traing dummy doll from tekken and well there you have it the gameplay is different the rest dont matter,lol

you should be the one needing to touch grass,with they way you think.
my honest reaction to “what if they did this to Kitana” is “don’t threaten me with a good time” but maybe that’s just me

People REALLY showing they don't know anything about Cyrax or his lore when they're just citing stuff like MK9.

normal cyrax return in MK2 via multiverse mambo jumbo bullshit.
Dunno how to tell you this, but some people actually give a damn about lore and characters beyond "Oh that guy looks cool" and get invested for their history, backstory and personalities. Saying "Whatever, just deal with it and we'll maybe retcon it later by destroying more of the integrity of what is left of this story by using more overused bullshit multiverse stuff later" is just dumping more shit on the shit we were just served and pretending it helps.

Honestly A LOT of this seems like what upset people about Magneto being called essentially just 'a set of functions' to dismiss the MvC community when they wanted him back.

Not a single person would say "Oh this is fine" if MK2Again (or whatever the hell they're going to call it) released with "Moveset 1", "Moveset 2" and so on through "Moveset 24" all slapped onto gray mannequins without any distinguishing features and they were the entirety of "Character choice". What's the problem though? Gameplay is what matters, right?

Not a single person would go "It's the gameplay that matters" if there were no backgrounds except for training stage and no music and stock beep boop sound effects.

Not a single one.

So no one should be pulling that card just because their tolerance for what is okay to change, remove, retcon and swap is lower than other peoples...cuz that bar still exists and pretending it doesn't to prop up a bad argument is just goofy.

In the same way changing elements of a character that are part of their identity as a character is not universally okay because of peoples different investment in them. If Ryu was suddenly a coward afraid to fight people and Akuma was a 3 foot tall rabbit that just wanted to pick flowers while Scorpion became the cowboy line-dancer wielding his trusty lasso and saying "Come on down, pardner", I'd like to see how many people would defend that stuff. Probably not many... And, again, ,it's because people have different tolerance for changes stuff and different levels of investment in stuff. Saying "Hurr hurr this character you like is insignificant because I don't care about them so these changes are fine, deal with it" is pretty self-centered and ignorant. I don't give a DAMN about Ashrah as a character, for instance, but I still wouldn't want her changed because I assume she has fans and they're fans of Ashrah...not the name 'Ashrah' slapped on whatever. I don't see how that is hard to understand.

Last edited:

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
Im picturing the intro to the 6 million dollar man where they have cyrax on the operating table , we can make him better , stronger , faster than he was before.. all the theme song plays while they operate and at the end its a robot with a pair of tits

Im picturing the intro to the 6 million dollar man where they have cyrax on the operating table , we can make him better , stronger , faster than he was before.. all the theme song plays while they operate and at the end its a robot with a pair of tits
"RELEASE THE FEMBOTS!"

People REALLY showing they don't know anything about Cyrax or his lore when they're just citing stuff like MK9.

Dunno how to tell you this, but some people actually give a damn about lore and characters beyond "Oh that guy looks cool" and get invested for their history, backstory and personalities. Saying "Whatever, just deal with it and we'll maybe retcon it later by destroying more of the integrity of what is left of this story by using more overused bullshit multiverse stuff later" is just dumping more shit on the shit we were just served and pretending it helps.

Honestly A LOT of this seems like what upset people about Magneto being called essentially just 'a set of functions' to dismiss the MvC community when they wanted him back.

Not a single person would say "Oh this is fine" if MK2Again (or whatever the hell they're going to call it) released with "Moveset 1", "Moveset 2" and so on through "Moveset 24" all slapped onto gray mannequins without any distinguishing features and they were the entirety of "Character choice". What's the problem though? Gameplay is what matters, right?

Not a single person would go "It's the gameplay that matters" if there were no backgrounds except for training stage and no music and stock beep boop sound effects.

Not a single one.

So no one should be pulling that card just because their tolerance for what is okay to change, remove, retcon and swap is lower than other peoples...cuz that bar still exists and pretending it doesn't to prop up a bad argument is just goofy.

In the same way changing elements of a character that are part of their identity as a character is not universally okay because of peoples different investment in them. If Ryu was suddenly a coward afraid to fight people and Akuma was a 3 foot tall rabbit that just wanted to pick flowers while Scorpion became the cowboy line-dancer wielding his trusty lasso and saying "Come on down, pardner", I'd like to see how many people would defend that stuff. Probably not many... And, again, ,it's because people have different tolerance for changes stuff and different levels of investment in stuff. Saying "Hurr hurr this character you like is insignificant because I don't care about them so these changes are fine, deal with it" is pretty self-centered and ignorant. I don't give a DAMN about Ashrah as a character, for instance, but I still wouldn't want her changed because I assume she has fans and they're fans of Ashrah...not the name 'Ashrah' slapped on whatever. I don't see how that is hard to understand.
very well said!

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile

Not a single one.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but oh boy, you are in for a ride if you think NRS is not gonna fundamentally change characters and their backstories for fear of upsetting the "people who actually give a damn about lore and characters". This has been a pattern since MK9 and has only gotten more extreme with each game. Don't shoot the messenger. By all means, you are in your right to dislike what they've been doing with the lore (I am certainly not a fan of most of it in the NRS era), but be aware it's not changing a single bit because of fan outcry online.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia

Not a single one.

Facts.

After the new Tanya (that is old Jade), and the new Jade that is coming (watch it be old Tanya) I'm not surprised anymore with those things.

It's kinda weird having a character that fans already love and change it so drasticaly (Hello, Tanya; my old friend). They could easily pick up Frost, and follow the MK11 story with cyborg Frost; and keep Cyrax with his metal penis.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what we all want. And, it's probably gonna be forgotten when the next game launches. It's NRS. They change characters every single game; so we could easily have a female cyrax in Mk1 and a male one in MK2 because of reasons.

And, being honest, I dont like that part of the small % of female characters in the DLC is given to Cyrax. Well, at least both Jade and Cassie were on the same leak. RIP Sonya and Sareena, tho.

After the new Tanya (that is old Jade), and the new Jade that is coming (watch it be old Tanya) I'm not surprised anymore with those things.

It's kinda weird having a character that fans already love and change it so drasticaly (Hello, Tanya; my old friend). They could easily pick up Frost, and follow the MK11 story with cyborg Frost; and keep Cyrax with his metal penis.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what we all want. And, it's probably gonna be forgotten when the next game launches. It's NRS. They change characters every single game; so we could easily have a female cyrax in Mk1 and a male one in MK2 because of reasons.

And, being honest, I dont like that part of the small % of female characters in the DLC is given to Cyrax. Well, at least both Jade and Cassie were on the same leak. RIP Sonya and Sareena, tho.
I mean is it sad that this is the first game I want them to just reset all the shit next game?

They can’t though because this game’s whole schtick was “New Era”. Then Dom was interviewed and said this game will set up a basis for MANY games. Oof! Yeah no I do not want that.

Although what I want will probably never happen. I want stories that ideally pick up around the time of Deception and to continue the story since we all know why Armageddon happened back in the day.

Hell at this point I’d take a full on reboot though. Connected to zero of this. Just back to MK1 (with the characters we know) and rebuild from the ground up with new graphics.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
A missed oportunity for NRS was not using the multiverse bullshit to bring characters from the midway era. Can you imagine how insane would be to have MK4 Quan Chi troll everyone as he did back then? And original Ermac (after being free from Shao Kahn by Kenshi) making the zombie Jerrod look even MORE stupid by comparison? MKD Mileena and Baraka conspiring against their new era counterparts... the possibilities are endless.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but oh boy, you are in for a ride if you think NRS is not gonna fundamentally change characters and their backstories for fear of upsetting the "people who actually give a damn about lore and characters". This has been a pattern since MK9 and has only gotten more extreme with each game. Don't shoot the messenger. By all means, you are in your right to dislike what they've been doing with the lore (I am certainly not a fan of most of it in the NRS era), but be aware it's not changing a single bit because of fan outcry online.
Oh by all means I'm not saying I don't expect it. The thing about me is that I'm a lifelong comic reader. I've had to put up with years now of hack writers with no storytelling capability, no imagination, no respect for what came before and, often, an active disdain for the material they're working on absolutely destroying DECADES of characters and their history. I'm basically immune to it by now. I thoroughly understand how people feel and why they feel it though. I also know why NRS is doing it...and it's all the stuff I just mentioned as to the qualities of the 'creatives' in comics. Same symptoms. Same illness. Same problems.

That said, I still think it should be denounced and called out for the lazy garbage it is at every opportunity. Like I said before, I do not care about a character like Ashrah. Never have. I do care about Ashrah's fans though. I care about their investment in her character because I too have investment in MK characters (and characters from other media) and I do not think they should be just a skin to be worn like Buffalo Bill flaying a woman to parade around in her flesh. It's disingenuous, lazy and a disservice to fans of that character or thing. It callously trades on their appreciation for something and desire to see it come back.

We should similarly denounce genderswapping (and swapping of any kind really) because of the above. Same problem. A problem compounded by the fact that it also essentially says "Oh we need more female characters? Whatever. Here just make this one a girl. Who cares about the character? Who cares about making something new that's good? NAH! We don't need to put effort in. Just say X is a girl now". Sorry but I'm not a fan of being given half-assed character concepts. Imagine if in SF they said "Hey we're going to have a Middle Eastern rep now" and instead of Rashid they just brought in Eagle, darkened the RGB of his skin and said "Oh he's Middle Eastern now. There ya go". Same difference.

I like to think I'm a creative person...but, in terms of pure financial transaction, I shouldn't be putting in more effort to make good characters for any given NPC in my Pathfinder games than these 'professional creators' are putting into characters for their multimillion dollar projects.

ItsYaBoi

Noob

Facts.

People writing essays crying about this, when all that is seemingly changing is swapping a cyborgs gender loooool. The horror. For all we know, all the other, actual KEY parts of their character remain (what little there was with Cyrax, long term fan here but he’s barely ever been an in-depth character, don’t lie). Again, none of those elements had to do with him being male anyway.

But people gotta find the next thing to be mad about online, always the case.