What's new

MK1 Invasions Mode: (It Sucks)

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
Havik in MKD was a mysterious agent with religious undertones in a strange realm of chaos. Havik in MK1 is a freshman in university who read bakunin for the first time and got carried away.
Well, MK1 Havik is apparently...

intro quote
Syzoth: "Return to Seido, Dairou."
Havik: "Where did you learn my real name?"

and the Havik that is from the old timeline is the Havik in the credits

Last edited:

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Near the end of this season's invasion and I'm struggling to care to continue. It's just an absolute SLOG of the same things over.. and over.. and over.. and over. A piss easy TYM, a two-combo fight win, or a chain of two-hitting a few enemies in a row all with braindead easy AI that mashes super armor. Just that. Repeated ad nauseam. Is this supposed to be exciting or fun in any way? At all?

For me, I think I would just like regular ass fights with opponents that are buffed, and then I can choose to apply modifiers to do elemental damage or whatever. I don't mind managing all the talismans and relics and shit, I just want to be able to still play regular Mortal Kombat. No stupid flying bullshit that makes me stop my combo, no super armor, and most of all, no changing my fucking button inputs. Just a fight against a hard opponent.

I like the idea of buying stuff from the seasonal store in theory, but the downside is it makes it feel like I rarely get anything worthwhile in Invasions. I'd almost just rather get random cosmetics so that I get that little bit of excitement when I finish a tower of secret fight or whatever.

Invasions has no replay value whatsoever. I have no inclination to play the mode again after beating Scorpion and completing the Netherstone areas.

I had fun grinding Towers of Time for the most part; it's actually where I spent most of my time in MK11. I was an offline warrior, lol. But this time around, I'm definitely going to spend more time online on M1K unless Invasions actually gets an substantial improvement or overhaul

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
The fact that you need to grind out this mode over and over seems way too much.

They need more variety to get your unlocks than just straight invasion mode. Imagine if you could play modes like Chess or puzzle Kombat, test your sight, kombo challenges in practice mode and the MK 1 and 2 arcades which are sitting in Johnny's mansion to contribute to levels. That way you could just log in an play how you want to play.

SpiceWeasel

Nothing personal mate!
That you don´t get any Char. EXP from casual Games with a friend is even more infuriating, so i need to play this moist Turd of a Gamemode or get suizidal in the Kombat League where you get paired with the same Person 10x times in a row...

Even though i dont really like this mode and would rather have a classic or mk11 style krypt+another single player mode,invasion could have been so much better but their implementation of it is awfull.

I mean for starters they should have had different types of actuall generic npcs with unique models and movsets that you fight working your way through the map,with then different types of modifires to creat novelty and challange while playing that particular mesa,and then save the actual roster characters for mini boss fights,secret encounters and boss fight of each mesa.This would actually make it feel like a mode you progress through and make the fights with roster characters feel unique and fresh.
Right now,depending on the mesa,you are fighting the same characters over and over again with near identical modifires and all of them always have super armor,with a different whacky color palatte and some random name on the health bar.It doesnt feel special or interesting fighting boss kitana at the end of the mesa if i have already fought her 50 times during the mesa haha.

Thats plus the poor reward system is what just kills this mode,if it wasnt for the scorpion skin i would not have played past the seconde mesa.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
My main problem is that it's supposed to be single-player content for people with ranked anxiety. But in that mode every enemy has super armor and there are bats and dogs flying and running across the screen. It's impossible to properly learn to play the game that way and then move on to ranked play where the actual meat is.

My main problem is that it's supposed to be single-player content for people with ranked anxiety. But in that mode every enemy has super armor and there are bats and dogs flying and running across the screen. It's impossible to properly learn to play the game that way and then move on to ranked play where the actual meat is.
Not only is it impossible to properly learn, it actively creates bad habits.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
I want to like this mode, I really do.

But I really, really feel they need to change some things about it. I don't see a point in the board game-esque exploration if there's barely anything to explore. This mode just feels like a gigantic gimmick tower with extra steps. There's barely anything except for fight after fight after fight. I feel like it needs more minigames, more dialogue/lore tidbits, more fun things to discover.

What's even the point of a "hidden fight" if it's pretty much just a regular ass fight with no interesting reward behind it? What's the point of the ambushes if they're also just regular fights in a sea of fights?

I've seen people say that the navigation is "simple" and the game tells you where to go anyway, but that's NOT an excuse not to have a map. It really isn't. This isn't one of those games where it's fun and interesting to explore without a map.

This mode has the potential to be good, but it needs a lot of work. Overall it just reinforces to me that this game was rushed. I'm glad that the gameplay is by far the best they've ever done. If you have to finish the game fast, the core gameplay is a great place to focus your work on. But if Invasions doesn't get some love quickI don't see many people engaging with and enjoying the mode for too long. This is supposed to be the main selling point for people who want to play the game for a long time but don't enjoy online that much, and it falls short at the moment.

Last edited:

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Something that was so cool about the challenge tower was they were catered to whatever character was used on that stage. This would have been much better. Maybe a Mileena stage, she has to ball roll under fireballs, Nitara has to fly around in a floor is lava type scenario, anything would be better than this.
You also HAD to play ALL characters, so you inevitably ended up knowing at least the basics of everyone - while having fun.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
You also HAD to play ALL characters, so you inevitably ended up knowing at least the basics of everyone - while having fun.
Exactly, it made me want to try people I had no intention of playing. Similar to most other younger guys, it was my first MK game and it helped introduce me to the entire cast.

This game is also intended to be a new jumping on point for casuals, and it encourages you to do absolutely nothing else other than play ranked aside from story mode. It gets old fast, you will know your character and whatever degenerate flavor of the week character combo that everyone saw x pro player using on YouTube. If this game weren’t as fun as it is I’d be done, but luckily the gameplay keeps me coming back as much as I can fit into my schedule. If this played like MK11 with this level of content, I’d already be done

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Yea they really fucked up with Invasion. I put most of my points in damage and health so Im essentially never losing any battle. Oh cool I got a Talisman! My inventory is full of them. On nice I got another syringe I dont use! Awesome. The SURVIVE mini game is the same constantly and TYM is just TYM.

I don't know why they thought having subsequent fights your character runs to would be fun. If I could control the character and explore the map while encountering fights (ala MK Deception konquest RPG mode), it would be much more appealing. As it stands, Im forced to look at my character run from node to node to have the same boring fight over and over again.

Bring back something more interesting, like Motor Kombat, Konquest or hell, even Chess Kombat. Something more varied than just fights. We get enough of that in the rest of the game.

I feel bad for people who got the game for the single player experience. It feels incomplete

Art Lean

Noob
As a self-confessed terrible player I completely concur. I’m XP level 100 and I absolutely suck at the game thanks to Invasions being what I’ve played the most. The endless armor and annoying modifiers has meant I’ve resorted to just jump kicks most of the time as it’s the main move the AI can’t ever seem to anticipate, with the occasional uppercut, and just been using my kameos like basic MK11 tag assists for when the CPU is doing my head in. But it’s the easiest way to unlock all the cosmetics for everyone.

I’m playing MK1 literally like it’s MK1 ('92). And that’s pretty much all thanks to Invasions :confused:

Last edited:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
As a self-confessed terrible player I completely concur. I’m XP level 100 and I absolutely suck at the game thanks to Invasions being what I’ve played the most. The endless armor and annoying modifiers has meant I’ve resorted to just jump kicks most of the time as it’s the main move the AI can’t ever seem to anticipate, with the occasional uppercut, and just been using my kameos like basic MK11 tag assists for when the CPU is doing my head in. But it’s the easiest way to unlock all the cosmetics for everyone.

I’m playing MK1 literally like it’s MK1 (1993). And that’s pretty much all thanks to Invasions :confused:
See even basic towers are at least useful in practicing not dropping combos and general execution around your character in a scenario other than simple practice mode. This actively makes you worse at the game and detracts from the fun because not only do you not get to practice your practical BNBs, but you don’t get to pop off and do your goofy impractical combos that you wouldn’t waste resources on in a real match.

If they made basic towers give size-able XP, especially a streak and difficulty multiplier on the tower for where you have to kill as many enemies as you can with one health bar. Would be actual fun offline content you can challenge yourself to improve in

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
Man, everything you guys and gals are describing sounds just awful. I'm very happy with my decision to get to the second mesa, then stop and never touch the mode again... at least unless it gets a SERIOUS overhaul. I feel really bad for you single player people :(

Man, everything you guys and gals are describing sounds just awful. I'm very happy with my decision to get to the second mesa, then stop and never touch the mode again... at least unless it gets a SERIOUS overhaul. I feel really bad for you single player people :(
So, one thing you should know is completing Invasions gives you one of the sickest Scorpion skins of all time. Completing the post-Invasions content gives you a bunch of palettes for that skin.

Ultimately I think Invasions is going to get better. It's obvious they're trying to make MK a little more live-service-y and I don't see people continuing to play based on how it is. It's a cool concept for a mode, they just need to change some things. If they increased my map walk speed immensely, removed all the modifiers that make me unable to play MK, made the fights more challenging, and gave me cosmetics more often, I'd personally enjoy it.

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
So, one thing you should know is completing Invasions gives you one of the sickest Scorpion skins of all time. Completing the post-Invasions content gives you a bunch of palettes for that skin.
More power to the Scorpion mains who can make it through that slog to get the skin. It's just not my cup of tea. Getting too old to be wasting time playing game modes that I don't find the least bit entertaining! I really hope NRS listen to all the feedback and somehow make the mode fun in the future

okhuskerfan

PSN: B1G-Husker
I don't think it's nostalgia, but MKX really did the character perk thing well in the Krypt. You played through to open all areas. Then some random person (da real VIP type person) would go and collect all of your damn coordinates to all the cool shit for your character. Please bring this type of thing back. I want a fighting game not a forced, unfun grind. Let me get my shit and get back to fighting. Hell, even MK11's system would've been better if everything wasn't fucking random.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
As annoying as 11's Krypt was for its random rewards, it had so much flavor. On top of being drop dead gorgeous it was full of actual easter eggs (they tried to say that Invasions was full of them, but legit the only one I remember was Blanche's poster in the first Mesa), Shang Tsung narrated almost every room & point of interest there was and you could even go into Goro's Lair and read about some of the war trophies he had.

There's just nothing in Invasions. The little piss droplets of "lore" we get are just for noncannon what-if scenarios. So its useless for story, its tedious for gameplay, and it sucks for rewards. It was a massive miss all around.

xRantex

Rante Inferno
Anybody know how to get the festival key in the sun do? I need it to unlock the door, I have no clue how to find it. Thx

Anybody know how to get the festival key in the sun do? I need it to unlock the door, I have no clue how to find it. Thx
You get it from another fight, but I can't recall which one. Keep going around following green lines and you'll eventually get it as a Reward.

I completed the first Season of Invasions earlier this week. I know most people are crapping on it but I did enjoy it for what it was. Generally the modifiers weren't too difficult to deal with at all, and most fights are not that difficult. I used Auto-Level up, barely touched Talisman's, and generally kept the same "Not Junk" Relic for the entire thing.

Secret Fights are nothing special and happen too often and Ambushes happen way too often ( I did start buying the Konsumable that prevents them for a time) and the skins and stuff you get are okay, though nothing to generally write home about save for the Order of Darkness Scorpion skin at the tend.

Also seemed the fastest way to level up your character and unlock Mastery items.

What I can't stand though, is the Gateway, with 5 or so modifiers on a time. That annoys me greatly so I won't be playing this much, and not at all after I get that High Score Achievement.