What's new

MK1 Gameplay World Premier - June 8TH [Summer Game Fest]

Zviko

Noob
Sorry, this is Edenia. No Zaterrans allowed...
You are wrong, this game was developed during covid so “Zaterra” is obviously a virus now in this new era that turns creatures into reptiles or so called “Saurians”. Syzoth, the leader of Edenia, also got infected and Kitana is his queen. The story point is how they fight against the virus. Virus affects everyone differently. Mileena’s teeth are in fact reptile teeth etc.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Looking at Kenshi's moves in the trailer, I see lots of MKX strings.
4D4
Kenjutsu 111
and then of course Tele-Flurry + Shoulder.

The might be some legacy in this game after all!

Cicada 5

Noob
What’s your point?
I see a character who has powers, something MK is known for

He’s a mortal now. Doesn’t mean he would lose his powers
It's not a big deal. I was just wondering why he has them in a new era where he isn't a god. Yes, I'm aware powers in MK are nothing new. I was just making an observation.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
So in the stage convo after the trailer, Ed mentions that Kameo calls depend on a meter "up on top" and he points toward the Kameo portrait. Do you suppose it's the ring around the portrait? It doesn't deplete, but infinite meter is on for this footage, so that's my guess.

For reference, it's around the 3:00 mark...

It's not a big deal. I was just wondering why he has them in a new era where he isn't a god. Yes, I'm aware powers in MK are nothing new. I was just making an observation.
Liu had fireballs in MK1 when he was only a monk. They've just reversed it and now Raiden is a monk with electricity powers.

Also Johnny threw out green fireballs in MK1 which was never explained until MKX.

Of all the people who had random mystical powers, the monks make the most sense, at least to me.

Don't like his new lightning bolt though, but it makes sense as he's no longer a god and doesn't have that awesome looking one from MK11.

Him

Noob
As far as movesets go, Liu Kang, Kitana and Mileena stole the show for me. Everyone looks really good though.

Liu had fireballs in MK1 when he was only a monk. They've just reversed it and now Raiden is a monk with electricity powers.

Also Johnny threw out green fireballs in MK1 which was never explained until MKX.

Of all the people who had random mystical powers, the monks make the most sense, at least to me.

Don't like his new lightning bolt though, but it makes sense as he's no longer a god and doesn't have that awesome looking one from MK11.
Raiden's eye balls become blue and he flies

subzert

Frozen Soul
Loving the new transition from character select to fight. Fighters coming in close like clash and saying their intro lines and the game loads up in background and it starts. The new health bars and super meter also look slick. Even the tiny character portraits near health bar is something I missed for MKX & MK11. Loving the presentation.

Last edited:

Mr.Khen

I am you
I am... on the fence. A new MK is always fun and exciting (-MK11)
However idk how can nrs be 4 years into developing the game and we're still seeing unfinished renders this close to release?
Not sure if I am a huge fan of Kameos.. it was borderline Kringe to me...aside the amazing looking supers, I think the classic look of older characters is looking a bit plasticy and dated . Gameplay wise I can see that balancing is going to be around top tier Kameos and this.. might annoy me... why would we want to fight alongside old timeline Kameos in the new timeline? is classic 1-1 dead? Kano playing alongside KungLao is weird. Having the same character twice one as main other as Kameo is.... no.
I hope they spent the 4 years to wow us with a gameplay that will make us not care about the graphics as much.
once we'll see the streamers and hear their feedback I might change my mind, but I've learned from MK11
and I am not preordering until I know more about mechanics, combos and.. them Kameos

Last edited:

Skybox

Noob
I am... on the fence. A new MK is always fun and exciting (-MK11)
However idk how can nrs be 4 years into developing the game and we're still seeing unfinished renders this close to release?
Not sure if I am a huge fan of Kameos.. it was borderline Cringe to me...aside the amazing looking supers, I think the classic look of older characters is looking a bit plasticy and dated . Gameplay wise I can see that balancing is going to be around top tier Kameos and this.. might annoy me... why would we want to fight alongside old timeline Kameos in the new timeline? is classic 1-1 dead? Kano playing alongside KungLao is weird. Having the same character twice one as main other as Kameo is.... no.
I hope they spent the 4 years to wow us with a gameplay that will make us not care about the graphics as much.
once we'll see the streamers and hear their feedback I might change my mind, but I've learned from MK11
and I am not preordering until I know more about mechanics, combos and.. them Kameos
They are showing us a previous build most likely. One that doesn't have the whole roster and such

Him

Noob
My problem with the whole Raiden "demotion", is that Liu Kang could turn into a whole damn dragon without being an Elder God. Raiden can be a mortal without them diminishing his grand stature and capabilities. We just witnessed a Shining Raichu devolve into a Pikachu.

no I don't think I will

they picked those 3 characters for a reason why would NRS intentionally debut the first 3 Kameos who are all also base characters as Kameos?
Will you ever get over this? You've been saying the same shit now for 1000 messages. You don't even know if your wet dream Sonya is a playable character but here you are spamming your bullshit nonstop. Please, fucking get a grip and have some goddamn patience or gtfo.

No way we’re getting 10 women launch roster if Sonya isn’t playable, Cassie and Jacqui are already gone why get rid of Sonya too?

Will you ever get over this? You've been saying the same shit now for 1000 messages. You don't even know if your wet dream Sonya is a playable character but here you are spamming your bullshit nonstop. Please, fucking get a grip and have some goddamn patience or gtfo.
No I don’t think I will

I'm gonna need a full Kitana breakdown this weekend because she looks awesome. I hope we can see if she has some good air mobility, but her air combos are probably going to be insane.
Funny, I thought she was the least interesting in the trailer

Him

Noob
I'm gonna need a full Kitana breakdown this weekend because she looks awesome. I hope we can see if she has some good air mobility, but her air combos are probably going to be insane.
I was mostly impressed with her, Mileena and Liu Kang.

RainMK

Noob
Pros:

1. Stages. They all looked fantastic.
  2. Gameplay felt slower but with longer combos. Could still become faster by the release of the game.
  3. Some visuals seemed like a downgrade but they always polish this by release so I'm not worried about it.
  4. Liu Kang's gameplay looked fantastic and I'm not even a fan of his.
  5. Story. The short bits of it made me interested to know more.
  6. Loved the simplicity of the skins. I think gear is back or some kind of customization.
  7. Callbacks like Liu Kang's 'enough' line or having Liu Kang with Scorpion and Subzero behind him as his warriors, similar to Shang Tsung having them too in the movie but as his 'slaves'.
  8. Seems like they will focus on supernatural characters instead of a copfiesta, more on that in my predictions.
  9. Scorpion / Subzero default outfits feel like a re-imagined version of their classic skins.
  10. I absolutely love how Scorpion and Subzero are brothers now. Maybe not literally but still, all those years it's like 'you killed my family and clan rawwwr' and they are finally taking a new direction.
  11. Kung Lao's kick in Scorpion's face during the story bits reminded me of Kung Lao's fight vs Scorpion in MK: Conquest at some point.
  12. Loved the comedy elements like Kung Lao's straw hat in the back of Subzero's head.
  13. Loved Subzero's voice a LOT.
  14. Loved the facial animations, especially when Kung Lao talked to Subzero.
  15. Liked the xrays. I think fatal blows are also back. It was hard to tell though.
  16. Not a fan of his but Goro looked fantastic when Mileena called him as her Kameo. He also reminded me of original movie Goro looks-wise.
  17. Seems like we get day and time versions of the stages. If daytime / nighttime are two different stages this is automatically a con instead.
  18. If Kameos can have fatalities, that's a step up when it comes to providing fan service for characters who won't make it in.
Cons:
  1. For some reason, the scenes between Johnny Cage and Kenshi reminded me of GTA a lot. Overall it seems more cartoony on some level but MK's style has always been one of the things that made it different from SF, Tekken etc. Also, I hated that they used the same sound effect of a clash in Injustice when Kenshi called Subzero up as his Kameo, it felt very lazy.
  2. Kameos were overly hyped. They're not bad themselves but I do hope they're tied to certain game modes and not in all fights. Also, I get that some may miss their favourites and only see them as Kameos but they can't bring everyone back and we have to acknowledge they try to find ways to do it to satisfy more fans (e.g. in MK 11 they had the ninjas in Shang Tsung's gameplay).
  3. No interactibles anymore?
  4. 24 characters on the base roster with 2 more years of development is just underwhelming to say the least.
  5. The intros feel like an Injustice clash.
  6. I didn't get why the whole stage was gray when we see Scorpion and Kung Lao vs Subzero. I didn't like that at all.
  7. The finish him voice felt really off. However, it could point to a new character or an old character who's back and has the Emperor's role. Maybe Reiko? Though the voice felt like a monster to me, it could have been Goro's for example.
Predictions:
  1. Seems like Kenshi starts off as a force of good and training at the academy or being a trainer actually, but messes things up later in this timeline. Maybe he becomes a Red or Black dragon member, too.
  2. Mileena is either Kahnum or was going to be before her 'disease'. My take is that she got bitten by Nitara.
  3. Big bad is a combination of Reiko/Havik or someone new and Reiko/Havik.
  4. Animalities will be back.
  5. More fatalities per character.
  6. We have 10 confirmed ones (Shang Tsung included) and I guess at least a couple new characters. That leaves 12 slots open. My prediction is: Reptile, Smoke, Havik, Nitara, Fujin, Reiko, Sindel, Rain, Jax, Kano, Sonya, Li Mei.

Does any notice how the Shang Tsung in game render for the pre order after the CGI reveal looks better than all the character models in the trailer we got today? Im thinking what we saw was earlier build, anywhere from 1-3 years old. They probably figured showing the more recent builds would reveal more than what they wouldve liked. Im only sharing this theory because of the clueless tendrils complaining about the graphics.
No possible way this is a 3 year old build.
At the very best this is a build from a few months ago.

Why couldn't it be?
They usually start the next game before releasing their current one. Assuming Inj3 was never on the table, the footage we see has many many things put together (most of them at their final stages as wee see). Kind of impossible for all these systems and visuals to be on synergy in a build from 2020.
That said, we'll sure see some improvement on visuals anyway.

Reactions: Him