What's new

MK1 (2023) Gameplay Mechanics Discussion

Alex95

Noob
Someone help me understand how does upblock work midstring.I guess it takes some frames to go from normal to up so for example I can up cage's f34 but not the last hit of baraka's special but somehow the CPU is able to do it in practice.

Benlo

PrayforSareena
I think it's a good thing not being able to change character between each fight in ranked.

-> people won't change after every lost
-> people won't wait for the timer to end before choosing another character, on purpose.

Sets are this way faster.

I think it's a good thing not being able to change character between each fight in ranked.

-> people won't change after every lost
-> people won't wait for the timer to end before choosing another character, on purpose.

Sets are this way faster.
Abou the timer,in kasual games there is no timer,so people can wait on purpose and if you exit during chr select you get a loss on your record and they get a win.Yeah its kasual so who cares but still the fact that there is no protection from someone just waiting on char select and esnuring the match happens is hilarious.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Someone help me understand how does upblock work midstring.I guess it takes some frames to go from normal to up so for example I can up cage's f34 but not the last hit of baraka's special but somehow the CPU is able to do it in practice.
You can't Upblock Baraka if he calls Cyrax at the same time, if he does the special on his own then you can upblock it but you don't need to in order to get the punish.

Alex95

Noob
You can't Upblock Baraka if he calls Cyrax at the same time, if he does the special on his own then you can upblock it but you don't need to in order to get the punish.
First You can't upblock the special even without the cameo and second the CPU does upblock even with the cameo.Could it be something only the computer can do in practice mode?

you will also auto-block the overhead even if you're low. theres some kind of safeguard mechanic at work.

Roosta

Noob
What flawless block exactly does? I mean you don't get any chip dmg but anything beside that?
Stops chip and stops their meter build which is huge. With the current state of the game (Cyrax kameo lol) I think it's going to be as important as flawless block in MK11.

Kyu

CHOO CHOO BANE TRAIN
How do you have the kameo character start a fatal blow? I just lost a rank up set because I tried to dodge the hit but was punched by motaro - never seen this before.
Someone please explain.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
How do you have the kameo character start a fatal blow? I just lost a rank up set because I tried to dodge the hit but was punched by motaro - never seen this before.
Someone please explain.
Motaro is the only kameo so far that starts the fatal blows instead of your character. This actually allows some characters (General Shao, for example) to make kombos that are otherwise not possible.

Kyu

CHOO CHOO BANE TRAIN
Motaro is the only kameo so far that starts the fatal blows instead of your character. This actually allows some characters (General Shao, for example) to make kombos that are otherwise not possible.
So I got cheesed due to unfamiliarity. Great.

So I got cheesed due to unfamiliarity. Great.
I have mained Motaro since launch and I just figured out how to do it. With characters like Nitara that have a different startup (flying up and over in this case) it can wiff over if you just try to do it from close neutral, however, if you spam R1 on startup, Motaro initiates the first hit, with what I assume is a close mid.

darklightjg1

Lost Street Fighter Player
I have NEVER fundamentally disagreed with a mechanic in a fighting game more than this one (the lower cost than breaker, him getting health back while any meter I burn as the attacker is lost, the lack of a persistent indicator that he has it stocked, so half the time I don't even know if I should TRY to bait it when I'm punishing, that it swaps sides in the corner and leaves the attacker in a bad position, and even when it is "baited" the window to punish it is... well, see the video). OF COURSE I had to stand up and grab a sip of my drink and contemplate life after this happened.

I'm not a fan or bursts in general, but even most games that have them have better info on the HUD to tell when you can do them, they're universal so the whole roster can use them, and there are easier ways to bait and punish if looking for it. Oh... and they don't heal you. FML.