What's new

MK is Dead, right?

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
I love mortal kombat sooooo much. By far my favorite game of all time tbh. I can play it forever and not get tired of it lol. Every game has their faults. The fact that everyone picks out mortal kombat as being a broken game that's horrible in every aspect compared to others really bother me. TBH the game wasn't fully played at the highest level. We only had a handful of players playing the game at the highest level. Some characters only had 1 high level representative playing them and some had none! If we had a shit load of people playing our game like SF to the point where we have multiple people on REO's level playing the same character with different playstyles then our game would be the best. Its just unfortunate that we didn't have a surplus of great players to play all the characters and exploit them 110%

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I love mortal kombat sooooo much. By far my favorite game of all time tbh. I can play it forever and not get tired of it lol. Every game has their faults. The fact that everyone picks out mortal kombat as being a broken game that's horrible in every aspect compared to others really bother me. TBH the game wasn't fully played at the highest level. We only had a handful of players playing the game at the highest level. Some characters only had 1 high level representative playing them and some had none! If we had a shit load of people playing our game like SF to the point where we have multiple people on REO's level playing the same character with different playstyles then our game would be the best. Its just unfortunate that we didn't have a surplus of great players to play all the characters and exploit them 110%
Post of the Year.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
I'm off tomorrow, so sometime tonight or in the morning I'll play. It wasn't a lot of people online last time I checked though. Its one of my favorite games of all time. Plus I'm really good at it. I'll never stop playing permanently.

Okay, listen up because I've officially gotten tired of hearing about "MK is dead" now.

How long since Mortal Kombat received an update?
Without the hard work and support of the community, MK9 would not be at Evo this year...
MK9 is going to Evo for a third year in a row.

Other games like SF4 and SKxTK have received updates and continue to get updates to extend their life.

HOW LONG SINCE MK9 HAD AN UPDATE AGAIN?

STFU.

Want him to embarrass your asses again?
when I said it was dead, it was because of the entrants numbers i'm seeing, but I said it was dying, not it was dead, second thing, that man has never embarrassed me lmao, and he won't either, #REAL TALK, no offense to you tho, I get what you are saying haha.

Didn't read.

All I'm going to say is you gotta a lotta ground to cover before you gain any respect back from me.

Also, to everyone else... my post was to attempt to hype MK9 up again. I know I'm not Tom Brady or REO, but both of our games are at Evo again... and we need to send MK9 off with one last big event. Don't take me saying "STFU" or the embarrass part personally, I just don't want Carl to win AGAIN. Beat dat bitch! ;)

#luvyoupl
vegas crew on the job :)!!!!!!, also GGA, EGP, and etc. Also REO has been on a tear, so he can do it as well.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
vegas crew on the job :)!!!!!!, also GGA, EGP, and etc. Also REO has been on a tear, so he can do it as well.
I must say... I was worried about REO since he's been playing Injustice but that worry kinda went away during the OTE3 finals at VSM..

But yeah, you and your bro will do work and I am extremely anxious to see everyone playing their prime at EVO.

I must say... I was worried about REO since he's been playing Injustice but that worry kinda went away during the OTE3 finals at VSM..

But yeah, you and your bro will do work and I am extremely anxious to see everyone playing their prime at EVO.
indeed, idc what anyone says, i'm going to keep training hard in MK9, I want to be an evo champ, hard work and dedication is the only way to get that. And for all others, keep playing mk9, we still haven't even explored some chars fully and plus we got another evo, so definitely dnt just drop it because IGAU is out, play both.

haketh

Noob
People who keep talking about how they won't play MK9 anymore because it won't get updated are the same who will drop Injustice when it stops getting updated and the same characters run Top 4. Those people are, as my old friend Anakron used to say Zero Potential Players. MK9 doesn't need them and IGAU won't either. They can just move on to the next flavor of the month.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
And PL isn't entering MK at EVO, he's focusing mainly on Injustice. At least that's what he told me directly.
What about when he said not to use Injustice as an excuse for mk9? Injustice gets announced for Evo so he drops mk9? I don't believe that, but like you said, as far as you know. We will see then. I hope he's in mk though.

STORMS to commemorate MK9 at Evo 2013, I thought I'd get the signatures of every MK player present as well as Ed Boon's/anyone from NRS who happens to be there signed on my LBSH, MK is dead t-shirt. After evo maybe we can work out a raffle or something like with the disc/cover. Remind me to get over my social awkwardness and I can hopefully accomplish this task. :)

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
What about when he said not to use Injustice as an excuse for mk9? Injustice gets announced for Evo so he drops mk9? I don't believe that, but like you said, as far as you know. We will see then. I hope he's in mk though.

STORMS to commemorate MK9 at Evo 2013, I thought I'd get the signatures of every MK player present as well as Ed Boon's/anyone from NRS who happens to be there signed on my LBSH, MK is dead t-shirt. After evo maybe we can work out a raffle or something like with the disc/cover. Remind me to get over my social awkwardness and I can hopefully accomplish this task. :)
That's a great idea! Have Ed Boon sign it, "Ed Boon - 3 years at Evo!"

not bodying vegas, just saying, PL dnt body us, dnt make me pull up them results of him vs vegas players haha.
You better make me eat my words homie. if there's anyone that can it's you and your brother... and maybe Dab... but remember, Carl goes legendary super saiyan5 with kaio-ken X20 for evo. Can you handle that? lol

You better make me eat my words homie. if there's anyone that can it's you and your brother... and maybe Dab... but remember, Carl goes legendary super saiyan5 with kaio-ken X20 for evo. Can you handle that? lol
definitely, plus if we look at things statistically, who has ever won 3 straight evos in a game? think that has never happened actually. Winning 2 has only been done by a very few.

Honestly, it would have been nice if NRS had promised one final revision that undid unnecessary character nerfs and finally stopped the terrible trio from breaking the game. Always the chance new issues would crop up but it would still be worth it.

And Tim is right that the DLC characters not getting extra skins except for the Vita version, which almost nobody is going to play, is a disappointment.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Honestly, it would have been nice if NRS had promised one final revision that undid unnecessary character nerfs and finally stopped the terrible trio from breaking the game. Always the chance new issues would crop up but it would still be worth it.

And Tim is right that the DLC characters not getting extra skins except for the Vita version, which almost nobody is going to play, is a disappointment.
Which is, exactly why NRS never patched it again. MK9 did go out (from a casual standpoint) feeling incomplete, but from a business/shareholder standpoint, they probably figured it was for the best that they ducked out after 6 months of nerfing characters distastefully and unproductively rather than do it all over again with Kabal. Not to mention the amount of people that were so desperate for a patch that they started exaggerating shit with Kenshi but Freddy somehow got a free pass. We could've had one more patch with the right community spokesmen in place, but nobody has given a rational argument.

Also, after the inexplicable, baffling, mind-boggling, instinct-defying chunder that was the previous retro costumes and their issues (which NRS still hasn't given any kind of explanation as to how it happened), I don't think they were up for the prospect of porting the Vita-exclusive retro costumes over knowing it would probably result in more cons than pros. Think about it, if it was just for consumer incentive to buy the Vita version, why didn't they let you link your Vita to the PS3 and transfer them accordingly?

Don't get me wrong, it's kinda disheartening to admit it, but this is probably the best possible state MK9 could've been left in.

Reactions: RYX
Which is, exactly why NRS never patched it again. MK9 did go out (from a casual standpoint) feeling incomplete, but from a business/shareholder standpoint, they probably figured it was for the best that they ducked out after 6 months of nerfing characters distastefully and unproductively rather than do it all over again with Kabal. Not to mention the amount of people that were so desperate for a patch that they started exaggerating shit with Kenshi but Freddy somehow got a free pass.

Also, after the inexplicable, baffling, mind-boggling, instinct-defying chunder that was the previous retro costumes and their issues (which NRS still hasn't given any kind of explanation as to how it happened), I don't think they were up for the prospect of porting the Vita-exclusive retro costumes over knowing it would probably result in more cons than pros. Think about it, if it was just for consumer incentive to buy the Vita version, why didn't they let you link your Vita to the PS3 and transfer them accordingly?

Don't get me wrong, it's kinda disheartening to admit it, but this is probably the best possible state MK9 could've been left in.
I get all that, but still feel NRS could have learned from their past mistakes and been conservative about it. If they only looked at the best tools of the most broken characters and tweak those, not ruin those characters, along with undoing some of their previous bad decisions for the lower tier characters and restore their luster.

That to me would have been enough without messing with the overall balance of every character's mechanics too much. The game is fundamentally broken and that can't be fixed but from a moment to moment gameplay perspective there is plenty of room for improvement.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
The abrupt drop in interest in MK it's pretty simple to explain:

1. You have a fresh new game that happened to fullfill or surpass expectations of the majority.
2. This new game managed to bring a big influx of new players from other FG communities.
3. This community's leaders keep reminding how this new game is better than the other.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
I call bullshit on us letting it die.

NRS has 85 to 90% of the blame, but ironically WE can't blame them. MK9 was their first GOOD game in over 10 years...TEN YEARS people , a game that could compete with the other games in the FGC, we can't expect them get it right from the get go. As i've been saying for all this time, they've learned from MK9 and are supporting Injustice like MK9 should have, we can expect MK10 to be as big of bigger than Injustice. I mean I know they sure as hell didn't expect MK9 to be as successful as it was...

But then again, having top players drop MK9 for SFXT (lol), dropping it all together and bashing MK9 for being inferior to Injustice doesn't help either.