What's new

MK is Dead, right?

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
As far as MK9 being dead, I think it's in relation to the low entrants at ECT, which forced it into being a side tournament. What people said would happen, is happening. People are abandoning MK9 for Injustice. Can you blame them? At least with SF4 and Marvel, you know that a new version of the game or a patch will be coming around the corner at least once a year. With MK9, NRS abandoned the game long before the players did.

But to be fair to NRS, why would they update MK9? To appease like 200 people at most? I don't want to speak for NRS because I have no idea what they're doing or what their plans are, but if it were me, I'd be focusing on more important things. This is a BUSINESS for them, it's a hobby and passion for us. It may be all 3 for them, but business drives it all and what allows them to continue to follow their passion. Just sayin.
Well Capcom has been around for a long time, they can support Marvel AND AE. NRS is way younger than Capcom and probably doesn't have as much money, they cannot support Injustice AND MK9.

Trust me, if MK9 got balance changes and glitches fixed it would be just as popular as any other fighting game out there right now and there would still be alot of players playing it to this day

NRS is way younger than Capcom and probably doesn't have as much money, they cannot support Injustice AND MK9.
Warner Bros. >>> Japanese game devs in this regard, especially with how much the Japanese game industry in general has struggled as of late. Remember, Capcom has fallen short of its internal sales projections on some of its biggest games in recent years (e.g. vanilla MvC3, the new DMC). MK9 isn't getting support because it's old and the modern climate for FGs is one where no game will ever last close to 10 years again - there's far more money in revisions and new games than there is in longevity.

Trust me, if MK9 got balance changes and glitches fixed it would be just as popular as any other fighting game out there right now and there would still be alot of players playing it to this day
Rude awakening time: America has been Capcom country from the very beginning, and that isn't changing anytime soon. There are a lot of reasons for this, both historical and present, but that would be a whole thread in itself. Basically, in order for any other fighting game to challenge Capcom it would have to draw hundreds who never played FGs into the tournament scene, have GGPO-quality netcode, and *consistently* offer PDP tourney-level money. I do believe that could happen eventually, but nobody's ready for that yet.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I feel like this community is being torn in half but it really shouldn't be. Some people prefer Injustice over MK now and don't feel like playing the 2 games, whatever. Why is this even a problem..
Yeah i don't understand this either. I stopped playting mk9 because right now i have more fun in injustice, its new, its fun, its deeper.Who knows i might get bored from injustice, but being angry at people because they dropped mk9 for injustice is just absurd.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
The only reason I bought injustice was to support nrs in hopes of mk10
Me too. Injustice is good, but shitty wake up system and not possible to buffer during dash makes it not so fun for me. MK feels simple and natural.

haketh

Noob
Yeah i don't understand this either. I stopped playting mk9 because right now i have more fun in injustice, its new, its fun, its deeper.Who knows i might get bored from injustice, but being angry at people because they dropped mk9 for injustice is just absurd.
It's not the people dropping MK for Injustice, it's the people doing that and then going out of their way to bury the fuck out of MK when five weeks ago those bitches were loving it.

Fear_Me

Noob
This game is not dead and won't die until MK10 is around.
And I believe that this will be THE Mk, doesn't matter what comes after. It's the same with most FG series, they have that one game that everybody loved no matter how broken or stupid it was.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
MK will only die if we allow it to. Tonight at our regular casuals session, I'll be getting a bunch of games and probably getting bodied in MK while most everyone will probably focus on IGAU. I still find MK more fun...but that's just me.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
I'm officially going back to playing mk. I had a lot more fun with it than injustice so why not. And I've been placing higher in Injustice but the wins feel so empty.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
- there are no more MK tournaments in Mexico
When the TOs of Angola VSA (Virtual Sports Association) got our money and bought each one a nice car, they stopped caring about MK9 Tournaments, and supposedly died in 2011 in october after i've won 4 consecutive tournaments. So what we did?

We gather all Tournament players who were up to level up and play the game and we started run the tournaments ourselves, it was first know has MKCT (Mortal Kombat Casuals Tournaments). Now we have Natgil and JAM Lounge as sponsors of our tournaments, and with the release of MK9 for PC in August we will have a lot of MK players playing the game and wanting to compete as well.

We started with 8 players, now we even have a girl in the group and the scene keeps having increased numbers even if not every single avaliable player is able to make it, this last we almost had 2 pools.

As much as a lot of ppl here in TYM keeps saying, MK9 is dead, UMK3 is dead, whatever K is dead, Angola always was and to my eyes, will continue to be the place where MK Scene will never dies as long as is competitive as UMk3 and MK9 were.

MK is dead to who wants it to be, if there is ppl to play the game then play it.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
When the TOs of Angola VSA (Virtual Sports Association) got our money and bought each one a nice car, they stopped caring about MK9 Tournaments, and supposedly died in 2011 in october after i've won 4 consecutive tournaments. So what we did?

We gather all Tournament players who were up to level up and play the game and we started run the tournaments ourselves, it was first know has MKCT (Mortal Kombat Casuals Tournaments). Now we have Natgil and JAM Lounge as sponsors of our tournaments, and with the release of MK9 for PC in August we will have a lot of MK players playing the game and wanting to compete as well.

We started with 8 players, now we even have a girl in the group and the scene keeps having increased numbers even if not every single avaliable player is able to make it, this last we almost had 2 pools.

As much as a lot of ppl here in TYM keeps saying, MK9 is dead, UMK3 is dead, whatever K is dead, Angola always was and to my eyes, will continue to be the place where MK Scene will never dies as long as is competitive as UMk3 and MK9 were.

MK is dead to who wants it to be, if there is ppl to play the game then play it.
I don't really see what any of this has to do with there being no MK tournaments here. We had bigger numbers, but we're down to 2 players in Monterrey and 4 in Mexico City.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Actually, I just bought MK9 to get back into it. I'm going backwards but I'm ok w/that. I enjoy the game and will play it as long as other people do

As far as MK9 being dead, I think it's in relation to the low entrants at ECT, which forced it into being a side tournament. What people said would happen, is happening. People are abandoning MK9 for Injustice. Can you blame them? At least with SF4 and Marvel, you know that a new version of the game or a patch will be coming around the corner at least once a year. With MK9, NRS abandoned the game long before the players did.

But to be fair to NRS, why would they update MK9? To appease like 200 people at most? I don't want to speak for NRS because I have no idea what they're doing or what their plans are, but if it were me, I'd be focusing on more important things. This is a BUSINESS for them, it's a hobby and passion for us. It may be all 3 for them, but business drives it all and what allows them to continue to follow their passion. Just sayin.

Yes but how hard can it be to release a patch that costs like 50,000 dollars. I mean they are spending what, like 30-40 mill making a new MK movie? And hell, they don't have to put forth a ton of effort making a patch. They could just laze it up and adjust the frame data of each character if they wanted to and tons of people would still be happy.

I don't see how expending the extra effort to patch MK9 and revamp the life of that game would be a bad business move. It'd make NRS's public image look a lot better along with making MK9 a much better game.