What's new

MK is Dead, right?

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Okay, listen up because I've officially gotten tired of hearing about "MK is dead" now.

How long since Mortal Kombat received an update?
Without the hard work and support of the community, MK9 would not be at Evo this year...
MK9 is going to Evo for a third year in a row.

Other games like SF4 and SKxTK have received updates and continue to get updates to extend their life.

HOW LONG SINCE MK9 HAD AN UPDATE AGAIN?

STFU.

evo.png
plevo.jpg
Want him to embarrass your asses again?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
MK9 is as dead to me as Damian Wayne is dead to Bruce Wayne. Buuuuuuut, that's just me not playing the damn game and liking Injustice too much to want to play.

Game's still in there and not dead, though.

Yinze

"Tell me, do you bleed?...You will."
I wouldn't go as far to say its "dead" but more people are realizing the in-balance of the characters since injustice has come out. Reo gives great examples in his post he just had

Tim Static

Adminerator
Is this directed to NRS? I love those guys, but why this game is dead to them is beyond me. Why the PSP Vita port got exclusive skins & the consoles haven't gotten them is beyond me. Why the game hasn't gotten any patched/hotfixes in a long long time is beyond me.

But they did make a really, really fun game called IGAU that has taken a lot attention from MK9 too.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Is this directed to NRS? I love those guys, but why this game is dead to them is beyond me. Why the PSP Vita port got exclusive skins & the consoles haven't gotten them is beyond me. Why the game hasn't gotten any patched/hotfixes in a long long time is beyond me.

But they did make a really, really fun game called IGAU that has taken a lot attention from MK9 too.
Exactly...game was too well-supported still to not bother with that stuff.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
well, MK9 is only oficially dead, when the main goal focus point, the major interested people who play it at competitive level, top pro players, just get the point they are fed up and bored with the game, not recognizing it anymore as a cool game to spend time training and improving for competitive scene.

when the main MK9 community stop supporting competitive scene for MK9, the game can be considered dead and just gonna fade away, simple like that.

IF and WHEN this day comes, we can surely consider MK9, as competitive fighting game, as done and dead, and so, not worth such amount of attention.

fact is, nowadays, some technical fixes are necessary to try to balance a fg what major goal is to be competitive and bring attention for people who enjoy to watch competition at high level skill, so, since NRS seems to have abandoned MK9 at its own luck, so, people are tired to see the same more or less characters winning from time to time, with lack of surprising variation in the top 8 , normally .....

anyway, it's obvious , and we cannot deny, that the major game , at the moment, that is on the spotlight, and being the highlight for competitive scene, it's IGAU ..... IGAU brings fresh air, new blood, and some interesting elements that MK9 lacks , and so, it's time for IGAU shines, and MK9 is nothing, but a secondary game at this moment ...... I really doubt that MK9 can be able possible to participate a 4th Evo, and so, the MK9 time, at least for Evo, after 2013, is passed .... the same will happen to IGAU, when MK10 come out, it's just a natural step : a new game from the same developer, just bring the present attention, and turn it into the main focus for gameplay and questions discussions

MK9 is cool and fun, but, IGAU is better in some areas and aspects. It's truth and deny it, it's just pointless.

AssassiN

Noob

What I've read is that if you port a game to the PS Vita from the PS3, you gotta include some exclusive stuff.
So I'm guessing they legally can't release those skins on the consoles.
Paulo said in a stream that there are so many different versions of MK9, patching it would be hard and take up a lot of time.

MK9 aint dead, IGAU is a new game filled with a lot of stuff yet to be discovered. So it's logical that IGAU is getting a lot of attention right now + a lot of new players from different communities.
I expect MK9 getting some love again in 2 months or so, right before EVO.

Courtney

Burn in my Light
Not enough Entrants at ECT so its a side tourney, Id say this game is pretty dead and tbh wish it wasn't at EVO so more games could get more time focused on them

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
As far as MK9 being dead, I think it's in relation to the low entrants at ECT, which forced it into being a side tournament. What people said would happen, is happening. People are abandoning MK9 for Injustice. Can you blame them? At least with SF4 and Marvel, you know that a new version of the game or a patch will be coming around the corner at least once a year. With MK9, NRS abandoned the game long before the players did.

But to be fair to NRS, why would they update MK9? To appease like 200 people at most? I don't want to speak for NRS because I have no idea what they're doing or what their plans are, but if it were me, I'd be focusing on more important things. This is a BUSINESS for them, it's a hobby and passion for us. It may be all 3 for them, but business drives it all and what allows them to continue to follow their passion. Just sayin.

Enenra

Go to hell.
I just can't deal with the netcode anymore. I don't want to just deal with the glitches like meter drain. I can't put up with MUs like Sub Zero vs Kabal, Kenshi, or KL. I'm just ready for something new, where the game can change and my character hasn't been nerfed to oblivion. MK9 is fun, and I love the universe and characters, but I'm ready to give Injustice an honest go.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I've just been so knee deep in Injustice...at about the 5 week mark I'll go back in to train...I'm scared I've forgotten all my setups...

Glass Sword

Nobody
Man I have been having an MK itch ever since Injustice has come out. Sure the game has its faults... OK a lot of faults, but it is fun damn it. I still practice my resets.