What's new

Mission Impossible: vs. Sonya

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
*sigh* anytime i've faced blondy with mileena i've made her look flat out stupid, and don't even get me started on what i've done to her with shang, lets just say it was mean... lol u sir are a sonya user so i'm not even gonna try to reason, besides if your on psn regularly with blondy i'm certin i've stomped u as well a time or 2 cause i've never lost to her, not saying its not gonna happen one day, *knocks on wood* just sayin it hasn't happened yet, and yes.. i've faced the bitch a bunch. for everyone else- damnit i so didn't wanna do this...lol ok here's how it works, when facing blondy its a lot like facing kitana only u don't have to be so cautious about jumping, u gotta stay on the bitch! this comes naturally to me cause i honestly just hate her, always have.. the trick is to be twice as aggressive as she is, basically return the favor 10 fold, start getting cautious, backing off to turtle, ect, and yes she'll rape you! u wanna pay attention while tossing combo strings but NOT to the point of being cautious, i'm not saying play reckless, don't attack like a psycho in the middle of her wakeup or dive in head first when she's got a full special bar, just play smart while punishing and use common sense, instead just remember to keep her user guessing, old school works wonders against her, they think your gonna hit high, hit low, they think low, hit high.. LOTS of mix up tactics! also some of her attacks u can go underneath which also helps, make sure your laying hits on her more than she's hitting u cause i dunno why but the bitch is way over powered in the sense she can take half a life bar in one long annoying combo, IMPORTANT also don't stop in your tracks laying on the block button when she does hit you, keep the pressure on even if u think your losing, throws work VERY well against her cause she loves to stay in mid range, so try a throw whenever possible, staying aggressive is the key thats always worked for me when facing ms.piggie, imo i think a lot of u are just *fearing* her too much and its causing u to be way too cautious.. her moves aren't as threatening as they look, in fact when u look at her move base it isn't hard to tell that when they designed her they clearly were trying to make her one of the most cheapest characters in the game, just look at how retarded that hand spring jump thingy shoot kick move that sails clear across the screen looks, by far definately the dumbest looking move on the entire game... but luckily they failed to make her as cheap as i beleave they were intending cause they abviously didn't take into account that some characters can be just as/ even more aggressive than her... so anyways, thats the best advice i can give, i'm sure i'll be bashed for this response by her fans but i hope i've also helped some of u who are tired of getting pwn'ed by her.. ;)

This is a wall of retardation.

I'd love to play you, but I aint a PS3 player.

Why on earth would a Mileena player want to get close to Sonya? Just zone her out. It's your best chance. And it's not that bad up close either when Mileena has the advantage. Sonya can be pressured, but only when you are at advantage. If you try to beat up Sonya without waiting and being careful, you're gonna get screwed.

you havent met a decent sona yet in that case. that dive kick makes you think twice before antiairing her, the armor cartwheel and the fast normals are something scorpion has a very hard time with, and the damn onion rings are too fast. ou can't even jumpkick at her because that uppercut is so fast. the d4 footsies I usuall use dont work either, make one mistake and youre gonna eat a divekick combo.
Both the dive kick and cartwheel are punishable. Punish the dive kick with b2, and the cartwheel with 33~spear. Pay attention to their patterns and send her to the vortex. Besides when AAing your jumps, a smart Sonya is gonna wait to do the dive kick untill they stagger you during pressure which is when they expect you to retaliate, so dont. Block instead and then punish.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
What the fuck man. You can pressure the bitch, especially if she doesnt have meter. She is not a god. She is not invulnerable to pressure. She can be poked. You have to know when to poke. This is fuckin stupid. People are talking about her as if she cant be damaged by Scorpion. Fuckin ridiculous. You are not going to be reduced to dust by beating on her.

In player matches I refuse to fight people with shitty records. I have plenty of experience with people who know how to use Sonya. She is not as hard as revolver's Kitana and we can take turns beating each other on a good day.

Btw, Foxy Grampa's record is up there with Forever King, and it's not due to Sonya being the ultimate power in the universe.

Edit: You know what people usually do when I beat their Sonya so many times in a row? They break out Kitana. If you dont know how to fight Sonya then you have ZERO chance against Kitana.
What has Kitana got to do with approaching a matchup against Sonya? I main Sub-Zero and they are completely different matchups from my perspective. Can you explain why Scorpion has to play the same way against both and why Kitana is just a harder version for him, please?

I never said you couldn't pressure Sonya. What I said is that you can't get into a pattern of poking her so winning against her xcannot be achieved with pokes as the foundation of your strategy. Saying you have to know when to poke is just fundamental to the game.

What has Kitana got to do with approaching a matchup against Sonya? I main Sub-Zero and they are completely different matchups from my perspective. Can you explain why Scorpion has to play the same way against both and why Kitana is just a harder version for him, please?

I never said you couldn't pressure Sonya. What I said is that you can't get into a pattern of poking her so winning against her xcannot be achieved with pokes as the foundation of your strategy. Saying you have to know when to poke is just fundamental to the game.
I wasnt just talking to you. Kitana and Sonya can both disrupt Scorpion's air game, but Kitana is just better at it.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Both the dive kick and cartwheel are punishable. Punish the dive kick with b2, and the cartwheel with 33~spear. Pay attention to their patterns and send her to the vortex. Besides when AAing your jumps, a smart Sonya is gonna wait to do the dive kick untill they stagger you during pressure which is when they expect you to retaliate, so dont. Block instead and then punish.
Since you are on XBL, you should play F0xy Grampa's Sonya. I'm not sure if you did but he will show you her better than any Sonya player on there that you've played online with that high level of play. I never saw F0xy Grampa's Sonya lose to any character when he does King of the Hill from time to time except Kabal once (supposedly her only 1 true bad match up).

Since you are on XBL, you should play F0xy Grampa's Sonya. I'm not sure if you did but he will show you her better than any Sonya player on there that you've played online with that high level of play. I never saw F0xy Grampa's Sonya lose to any character when he does King of the Hill from time to time except Kabal once (supposedly her only 1 true bad match up).
Im sure he will. He's one of the best players online, but you can say that about several other people who main other fighters. You should give the credit to Foxy Grampa rather than Sonya. She's really good but she's not OP.

why would you use b2 to punish? its hella slow, is there some special purpose to it?. and the blocked cartwheel is -3 according to somberness, so its not punishable unless I miss something.

and yes ofcourse you can poke her, u have to guess, but I dont want to risk the pokes for some 40%combo so...

ryublaze

Noob
I just stay back since her projectile is one of those that let Scorpion use a 2nd hellfire if the 1st hellfire is interrupted.

why would you use b2 to punish? its hella slow, is there some special purpose to it?
Cause it works. 33~Spear or 11~ Spear works too.

and the blocked cartwheel is -3 according to somberness, so its not punishable unless I miss something.
33~Spear works for me. Call it a punish or opening, whatever. It works. Why dont you try it instead of just staying stationary while your health gets chipped away. So after the cartwheel what do you do? Jump? Keep blocking? What? You already said you dont poke or jump so what do you do? Throw the spear and hope for the best? What?

and yes ofcourse you can poke her, u have to guess, but I dont want to risk the pokes for some 40%combo so...
Ok, then just stand there and let her beat on you and hope she does a cartwheel. There are times when you shouldnt poke and there are times when you should.

You know what man? You seem to be convinced that this girl is just impenatrable and that there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. If that's the case then every one that Slips beat at the tournament should've picked Sonya and then he would'nt have gotten past Dizzy.

The End.

Cause it works. 33~Spear or 11~ Spear works too.

33~Spear works for me. Call it a punish or opening, whatever. It works. Why dont you try it instead of just staying stationary while your health gets chipped away. So after the cartwheel what do you do? Jump? Keep blocking? What? You already said you dont poke or jump so what do you do? Throw the spear and hope for the best? What?

Ok, then just stand there and let her beat on you and hope she does a cartwheel. There are times when you shouldnt poke and there are times when you should.

You know what man? You seem to be convinced that this girl is just impenatrable and that there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. If that's the case then every one that Slips beat at the tournament should've picked Sonya and then he would'nt have gotten past Dizzy.

The End.
No its not that she is unbeatable I think but I just don't have a clue yet, but after a cartwheel, I sometimes grab and I sometimes jump back. I could poke but it I dont think it will stop her from doing what she usually does. maybe I will go into the lab and go and see what sonya's capable of and what I can use to counter her.

This is a wall of retardation.

I'd love to play you, but I aint a PS3 player.
sorry but after reading this yesterday i just had to comment.. lol 1. beleave whatever makes u feel better, i suppose all those times where i defeated sonya online was just merely a figment of my imagination right?
2. judging by how butt hurt u are at the very thought of someone beating your beloved sonya, no.. u most definately would not wanna play me, cause if u were this upset, playing me would have u flinging your controller, possibly smashing your console, and i don't want that on my conscience.. if i could give u some advice, try getting out of your room every once in awhile, it helps, trust me. :p

No its not that she is unbeatable I think but I just don't have a clue yet, but after a cartwheel, I sometimes grab and I sometimes jump back. I could poke but it I dont think it will stop her from doing what she usually does. maybe I will go into the lab and go and see what sonya's capable of and what I can use to counter her.
It seems that if I dont 33 fast enough after the cartwheel she can keep going with her pressure. Kinda like if you dont 33~spear Reptile fast enough when you block his dash. It's not a punish though. Just an opening for you to counter attack. Try 33, 4 before you 33~spear first.

Also, b2 can punish the dive kick if you start it before she lands just like CSZ's dive kick. But yea, there are faster ways to punish it. It just depends on if you want to send her to the void or vortex. You have more options with the vortex.

But even if she's in the vortex you're not safe if she has meter and if you dont go for the reset right away. For example, if you mix pressure with the resets, like 11, f4~spear or 11, 2, 1+2~TP her X-Ray can get you after 11. If she has meter it's probobly best to follow up 11 with 33 or D1 if you dont reset right away.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
This is a hard match for scorpion. Really what you want to do is stay out. The whole match boils down to you using hellfire from range (like I mentioned earlier if she trades rings with hellfire you get another hellfire free, she cannot zone scorp, she has to get in) and trying to land an AA spear/JK (or an aa normal if you want to risk eating a dive kick) then put her in the vortex and keep that bitch in it, IMO that is your best bet. You have to play risky against her because her pressure is just too good. If she manages to get in on you it is a very bad guessing game in sonya's favor.

Run away, hellfire and spear lol. Armor takedown works well against her down 4 and can get you a nice little guessing game, just watch out for armor cartwheel on her wake up. B+2 at range also beats the d+4 but its very risky and you basically have to predict it.

Her carthwheel cannot be punished on block. If you try to pressure her after a blocked cartwheel she has the option to do an armor CW right after for a full combo at pretty much no risk. I'm not sure if you can jump out if she follows up with another CW but it might be an option. IMO you're better off not trying to jump out because you can end up eating an AA into all types of shit.

The best way to punish the CW would probably be to bait it after 111 and jump back whiff punish. You can do 111 and follow up with some pressure to condition her to try to CW so that you can bait it after your next 111 string.Also 111 take down can get the knockdown for a mix up and is safe on block. If she tries to pressure after the take down you can EX spear if she's not doing a crouching normal or EX take down as a safer option that hits low. I didn't have a lot of time to test the takedown shit out against Riu48 though so I'm not sure if her armor CW option beats out scorps armor moves after a blocked take down.

Sorry I'm a bit all over the place with this but I'm theory fighting and thinking of new ideas based on the last few times I played Riu's sonya.

Scoot Magee

sorry but after reading this yesterday i just had to comment.. lol 1. beleave whatever makes u feel better, i suppose all those times where i defeated sonya online was just merely a figment of my imagination right?
2. judging by how butt hurt u are at the very thought of someone beating your beloved sonya, no.. u most definately would not wanna play me, cause if u were this upset, playing me would have u flinging your controller, possibly smashing your console, and i don't want that on my conscience.. if i could give u some advice, try getting out of your room every once in awhile, it helps, trust me. :p
1. You play mileena online
2. You're beating online sonya's that probably aren't that good. If they are good see point 1.

the frame data says -3 so she should have still have time for a d1 to interrupt your 33 since its 10 frames and sonya's d1 is 6 frames(6+3=9).
Well, it's been working. Maybe the people Im fighting arent being fast enough or maybe they never try to D1. I'll keep that in mind. Jumping should be kept to a minimum. 33 is apparently flawed. What is else is there? Block untill all your health is chipped away? That cant be. Let me think. All it takes is one opening. Let me go find a Sonya.

Scoot Magee

She can just armor through anything you try to do afterwards, even d+1. It works the same for scorpion when he get's his take down blocked. Trying the pressure after her cartwheel is a guessing game that gets you chip damage/meter/pressure or you eat a full combo if she carthweels.

Scoot Magee

Regarding Dive Kicks and Military Stance, I believe EN Spear becomes a necessity for this matchup since it can stop both DKs and MS cancels. The problem, however, is actually getting the meter to use it and preventing her from getting the meter to breaker once you do use it.

Vortex sounds like the only real solution lol.
I didn't see this post. This can be very useful, I didn't know EX sper could hit her out of MS.

Well, it's been working. Maybe the people Im fighting arent being fast enough or maybe they never try to D1. I'll keep that in mind. Jumping should be kept to a minimum. 33 is apparently flawed. What is else is there? Block untill all your health is chipped away? That cant be. Let me think. All it takes is one opening. Let me go find a Sonya.
LOL, just dont let that bitch get out ofyour vortex until she dies. the great void has been a great find it takes 3 guesses:D

LOL, just dont let that bitch get out ofyour vortex until she dies. the great void has been a great find it takes 3 guesses:D
If I can handle my friend Null3yte's Johnny Cage I can handle this broad. It can be exausting though. He goes into KOTH around 9 or 10 and literally stays King all night untill 6 am. He get's everyone in the frame trap and they never leave.. Never! Enough Babalities for everybody.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Cartwheel isnt punishable, its -3 on block