What's new

Mission Impossible: vs. Sonya

ELC

Scrublord McGee
Alright ... I honestly have no idea how to play this match-up at all. It's just ... wow: Sonya can really put it on ya. I have no clue how to deal with her pressure strings up close, and I'm hesitant to try zoning as it is very risky for him to do so in any matchup.

Any suggestions?

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
This is a tough match IMO (SO FAR). I was playing Riu48's sonya with scorp last night and it was a nightmare. The good thing is the hellfire trade with against her projectile is in scorps favor because he gets a free 2nd hellfire on trade. Up close is pretty tough, her d+4 out ranges scorpions and leads to much more pressure and block damage. She also has a safe way to get you off of her with EH cartwheel if you manage to get close. It's really hard to AA reliably because of her dive kick and I'm not even sure if he can punish a well placed low one. The fucked up thing about this match is that scorpion seems to have to keep that bitch out because her up close game seems a lot more affective. I'm really not sure how to play the match up yet though so I could be wrong about everything. I felt I had to take huge risks just to get anything going against her.

ELC

Scrublord McGee
The dude I played against said he beat Slips on Live using Sonya (along with a Jade in "very bad lag"). From what I remember of the convo (should've taken notes, d'oh!), he mentioned the following key aspects:

1. Slight to moderate lag.
2. Slips tried to start Vortexes, but the Sonya always had breaker (probably due to blockstrings).

Possibly get a confirmation from Slips himself? Anyhow: seems like zoning is the answer, but ... eh ... that air mobility really kills Spear/Teleport hits.

Justice

Noob
I'm not overly familliar with this matchup but as a Sonya main, I thought I'd try to give a little insight to her weaknesses.

General thought: never be predictible. Just goes without saying but it helps :D

Keep Sonya out. Kartwheel can hit almost from mid-screen.Almost all of her kombos aid in her mobility in a way few other characters do so keep her as far away as possible.

The majority of Sonya's meter build is MS spam and projectile trade. Sonya generally won't use Katwheel for meter build unless it's inside of a kombo.

Scorp's big advantage over Sonya is his mobility. Just don't be where she is throwing fists and feet. Scorpion is a high-risk kombatant anyway, may as well play him like one. Taking smart, calculated risks is key to Scorpion in general and this MU specifically. Try to bait a jump and punish with air-tele or something. Force Sonya on the ground. Also, MS f1 is jumpable along with MS throw.

That's all I got for now. I hope it helps a little :D

(this comes from a reptile player so my info might be a bit different..) From my experience... Sonya, if not, is a top tier character. She has Insane block strings, Crazy zoning, and she is able to get in on you very quick.. EX cart wheel makes for great wake ups. In my opinion the best way to fight Sonya players is to Zone the HELL out of her.. Now with scorpion that isn't exactly an Answer. My Suggestion is to try to bait her in for your hell fire, Spear, and try to bait her in for Anti air combos and hope your good on 50/50. Thats all I can say.

Alright ... I honestly have no idea how to play this match-up at all. It's just ... wow: Sonya can really put it on ya. I have no clue how to deal with her pressure strings up close, and I'm hesitant to try zoning as it is very risky for him to do so in any matchup.

Any suggestions?
D1 and D4 really fuck up her momentum. Use them and dont jump while she's attacking you. Let her jump and be destroyed by some AA. You can also outfight her with your safe attacks. Just mix it up and anticipate her reactions to keep her on the ground for more pressure. By the second round it shouldnt be much trouble. Oh and remember that you can cancel wake ups so dont let her or anyone breath. I recommend using safe attacks to put more pressure on her untill you know the safest way to put her in vortex. Just watch when she's blocking low and high during your mix ups.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
D1 and D3 really fuck up her momentum. Use them often and dont jump while she's attacking you. Let her jump and be destroyed by some anti air. You can also outfight her with your safe attacks. Just mix it up and anticipate her reactions to keep her on the ground for more pressure. By the second round it shouldnt be much trouble.
D1 and D3 are exactly what she wants you to do, thats a poke that could cost you 50% of your life. You'd have to be certain she isnt divekicking in the air to AA her, even then she doesnt ever need to jump because her D4 reaches further than any move scorp has. Shes also got a 7 frame standing jab, so Scorpions not gonna be winning up close in speed.

You can trade 1 ring with 2 hellfires which is good.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
No poke and I lose. I win with pokes. I win with safe mix ups/pressure, vortex and anti air. That's just my expereiences and Im not talking about garbage Sonyas.
No offense but you must be, the divekick is the perfect move to counter a poke, no player should ever not be fearful of poking her because of the threat of losing 50%. Even then like I said, she can poke further than you and take 3% chip/10% life every time or have +1 advantage on block or link into a Cartwheel etc.

Obviously a vortex will work, AA is risky + she never HAS to jump since she can just D4MSF1 Scorp all day.

No offense but you must be, the divekick is the perfect move to counter a poke, no player should ever not be fearful of poking her because of the threat of losing 50%. Even then like I said, she can poke further than you and take 3% chip/10% life every time or have +1 advantage on block or link into a Cartwheel etc.

Obviously a vortex will work, AA is risky + she never HAS to jump since she can just D4MSF1 Scorp all day.
It's interesting I never get poked when dealing pressure. 33, then d1, cuts it off I guess. You're right, she never has to jump but most do anyways. IF she does jump then she'll pay but it's not critical for winning the match. Yeah, the dive kick can get you when you poke but you have to stop her momentum sometimes so it's worth doing.

ELC

Scrublord McGee
Regarding Dive Kicks and Military Stance, I believe EN Spear becomes a necessity for this matchup since it can stop both DKs and MS cancels. The problem, however, is actually getting the meter to use it and preventing her from getting the meter to breaker once you do use it.

Vortex sounds like the only real solution lol.

I have trouble against Sonya too. Her mixup game is killer. To me it feels like fighting against a Johnny Cage on steroids with a set of boobs, that can zone better and get in/stay in easier. I feel cheap at times but I just counter pick that biatch with Noob Saibot and Kenshi. She seems to struggle a tiny bit against chars that can keep her ass out.

Regarding Dive Kicks and Military Stance, I believe EN Spear becomes a necessity for this matchup since it can stop both DKs and MS cancels. The problem, however, is actually getting the meter to use it and preventing her from getting the meter to breaker once you do use it.

Vortex sounds like the only real solution lol.
There's also an opening during her pressure attacks for a 33~spear as there is with Kitana. Im sure you'll find it when it happens. Actually, that opening is with a lot of fighters. It's real useful against Johnny Cage's frame trap but it can be difficult cause it may take a long time (a lot of chip damage) before you get an opportunity. I d1 and then 33~spear when I find it.

is there actually any scorpion right now that knows this matchups? I dont think any scorpion players have playedfoxy,riu48,mortyseinfeld and those guys

my goodness yall need to man up, after reading all these posts i almost feel ambarrised, not one single post of something positive, now look i'll admit i'm not a scorpion user but i had to take a look at this cause i honestly thought it was a joke when i read it, never heard of anyone having issues with sonya, i personally luv beating up blondy, its one of the few matches i actually look forward to.. now granted i've played quite a many who try to get all pms with her but mileena quickly takes care of that as she can punish on a level that blondy doesn't come close to, and ofcourse if i have shang i just play projectile basketball with the silly looking bitch till i hear *finish her* i can honestly say i've never lost to someone using blondy, the reason i'm commenting is cause aside from saibot and smoke, scorpion is the most irritating! almost all of the scorpions i've faced have either ripped me a new ass not even losing a round, or put in such a fight where if i did win it was by luck.. i fail to see how and why scorpion users would have an issue with sonya, u scorpion's are freakin bosses! i've seen it! man up jeez...

my goodness yall need to man up, after reading all these posts i almost feel ambarrised, not one single post of something positive, now look i'll admit i'm not a scorpion user but i had to take a look at this cause i honestly thought it was a joke when i read it, never heard of anyone having issues with sonya, i personally luv beating up blondy, its one of the few matches i actually look forward to.. now granted i've played quite a many who try to get all pms with her but mileena quickly takes care of that as she can punish on a level that blondy doesn't come close to, and ofcourse if i have shang i just play projectile basketball with the silly looking bitch till i hear *finish her* i can honestly say i've never lost to someone using blondy, the reason i'm commenting is cause aside from saibot and smoke, scorpion is the most irritating! almost all of the scorpions i've faced have either ripped me a new ass not even losing a round, or put in such a fight where if i did win it was by luck.. i fail to see how and why scorpion users would have an issue with sonya, u scorpion's are freakin bosses! i've seen it! man up jeez...
you havent met a decent sona yet in that case. that dive kick makes you think twice before antiairing her, the armor cartwheel and the fast normals are something scorpion has a very hard time with, and the damn onion rings are too fast. ou can't even jumpkick at her because that uppercut is so fast. the d4 footsies I usuall use dont work either, make one mistake and youre gonna eat a divekick combo.

i just love how whenever someone posts that they've pwn'ed a certin character whom others claim to have trouble against, the immediate response is *well u just haven't faced a good player with that character* lol

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Are we talking about the same character here lol?

Mileena punishing harder than Sonya?

Considering Sonya takes 50% of your life for 1 missed poke, and mileena can only counter poke.
I'd say she has at most 3 bad matchups Kabal Kenshi & Noob. Shang Scorp and Mileena arent any of those 3.

*sigh* anytime i've faced blondy with mileena i've made her look flat out stupid, and don't even get me started on what i've done to her with shang, lets just say it was mean... lol u sir are a sonya user so i'm not even gonna try to reason, besides if your on psn regularly with blondy i'm certin i've stomped u as well a time or 2 cause i've never lost to her, not saying its not gonna happen one day, *knocks on wood* just sayin it hasn't happened yet, and yes.. i've faced the bitch a bunch. for everyone else- damnit i so didn't wanna do this...lol ok here's how it works, when facing blondy its a lot like facing kitana only u don't have to be so cautious about jumping, u gotta stay on the bitch! this comes naturally to me cause i honestly just hate her, always have.. the trick is to be twice as aggressive as she is, basically return the favor 10 fold, start getting cautious, backing off to turtle, ect, and yes she'll rape you! u wanna pay attention while tossing combo strings but NOT to the point of being cautious, i'm not saying play reckless, don't attack like a psycho in the middle of her wakeup or dive in head first when she's got a full special bar, just play smart while punishing and use common sense, instead just remember to keep her user guessing, old school works wonders against her, they think your gonna hit high, hit low, they think low, hit high.. LOTS of mix up tactics! also some of her attacks u can go underneath which also helps, make sure your laying hits on her more than she's hitting u cause i dunno why but the bitch is way over powered in the sense she can take half a life bar in one long annoying combo, IMPORTANT also don't stop in your tracks laying on the block button when she does hit you, keep the pressure on even if u think your losing, throws work VERY well against her cause she loves to stay in mid range, so try a throw whenever possible, staying aggressive is the key thats always worked for me when facing ms.piggie, imo i think a lot of u are just *fearing* her too much and its causing u to be way too cautious.. her moves aren't as threatening as they look, in fact when u look at her move base it isn't hard to tell that when they designed her they clearly were trying to make her one of the most cheapest characters in the game, just look at how retarded that hand spring jump thingy shoot kick move that sails clear across the screen looks, by far definately the dumbest looking move on the entire game... but luckily they failed to make her as cheap as i beleave they were intending cause they abviously didn't take into account that some characters can be just as/ even more aggressive than her... so anyways, thats the best advice i can give, i'm sure i'll be bashed for this response by her fans but i hope i've also helped some of u who are tired of getting pwn'ed by her.. ;)

*sigh* anytime i've faced blondy with mileena i've made her look flat out stupid, and don't even get me started on what i've done to her with shang, lets just say it was mean... lol u sir are a sonya user so i'm not even gonna try to reason, besides if your on psn regularly with blondy i'm certin i've stomped u as well a time or 2 cause i've never lost to her, not saying its not gonna happen one day, *knocks on wood* just sayin it hasn't happened yet, and yes.. i've faced the bitch a bunch. for everyone else- damnit i so didn't wanna do this...lol ok here's how it works, when facing blondy its a lot like facing kitana only u don't have to be so cautious about jumping, u gotta stay on the bitch! this comes naturally to me cause i honestly just hate her, always have.. the trick is to be twice as aggressive as she is, basically return the favor 10 fold, start getting cautious, backing off to turtle, ect, and yes she'll rape you! u wanna pay attention while tossing combo strings but NOT to the point of being cautious, i'm not saying play reckless, don't attack like a psycho in the middle of her wakeup or dive in head first when she's got a full special bar, just play smart while punishing and use common sense, instead just remember to keep her user guessing, old school works wonders against her, they think your gonna hit high, hit low, they think low, hit high.. LOTS of mix up tactics! also some of her attacks u can go underneath which also helps, make sure your laying hits on her more than she's hitting u cause i dunno why but the bitch is way over powered in the sense she can take half a life bar in one long annoying combo, IMPORTANT also don't stop in your tracks laying on the block button when she does hit you, keep the pressure on even if u think your losing, throws work VERY well against her cause she loves to stay in mid range, so try a throw whenever possible, staying aggressive is the key thats always worked for me when facing ms.piggie, imo i think a lot of u are just *fearing* her too much and its causing u to be way too cautious.. her moves aren't as threatening as they look, in fact when u look at her move base it isn't hard to tell that when they designed her they clearly were trying to make her one of the most cheapest characters in the game, just look at how retarded that hand spring jump thingy shoot kick move that sails clear across the screen looks, by far definately the dumbest looking move on the entire game... but luckily they failed to make her as cheap as i beleave they were intending cause they abviously didn't take into account that some characters can be just as/ even more aggressive than her... so anyways, thats the best advice i can give, i'm sure i'll be bashed for this response by her fans but i hope i've also helped some of u who are tired of getting pwn'ed by her.. ;)
man ur in for a rude awakening

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
*NEVER ENDING WALL OF TEXT*. ;)
Considering you're not taking Sonya seriously i'd doubt you'd even come close to Foxy's Sonya.

You haven't fought a good Sonya yet,the pressure she dishes out is amazing,every single one of your mistakes is punished and reset,she can zone very easily,has armour,doesn't need to commit to a jump,can't be AA'd and can combo from divekick.

how about facing some good players before judging a character?So far from your posts i believe you're facing regular online scrubs,add some people from TYM and spar with them,you're definately gonna improve,it's what i did as well.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Wow are people ignorant of Sonya. Telling people to poke Sonya is like telling them to sign their own death warrant. Do not get into the habit of trying to poke Sonya. She will eat you alive if you do this. Lol at the person saying "be twice as aggressive as she is". That will get you blown up against a good Sonya.

the obvious answer is always *your just playing scrubs* look man i'm just tryin to help, i would post my psn name and say bring it but as u can see i haven't exactely made a lot of friends on this site, i even pissed off a mod last week on here from simple stating the truth about saibot spammers... right now i'm using a lot of mileena, kano, and sindel, i ain't ever hard to find on there... and i am officially done with this thread, sorry for disrupting yalls natural order of things.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
the obvious answer is always *your just playing scrubs* look man i'm just tryin to help, i would post my psn name and say bring it but as u can see i haven't exactely made a lot of friends on this site, i even pissed off a mod last week on here from simple stating the truth about saibot spammers... right now i'm using a lot of mileena, kano, and sindel, i ain't ever hard to find on there... and i am officially done with this thread, sorry for disrupting yalls natural order of things.
Just make a thread and ask for competition,i did when i was a nobody (still am,but have made friends) and i made good friends,learned alot and could finaly participate in well informed conversations about fighters,it's just that sometimes you judge a character by the tools they have and sometimes by the tools they don't have.

Online isn't a good source of character informations because it's filled with scrubs,the only way you'll ever get good is through organised fights with the community,i regret spending over 6 months in this shity online mode,i only MK when my friends are on and i've added so many that i play mk 50% of the time!

if you're on PS3 i'll gladly add you and introduce you to some good members of our little society,it's not hard!

About Saibot "spammers",well it's the only tool he has,he's the slowest character in the game with the lowest damage output,he's meant to be a zoner just like Sindel.

Are we talking about the same character here lol?

Mileena punishing harder than Sonya?

Considering Sonya takes 50% of your life for 1 missed poke, and mileena can only counter poke.
I'd say she has at most 3 bad matchups Kabal Kenshi & Noob. Shang Scorp and Mileena arent any of those 3.
uhmm so what the hell can we do?

Wow are people ignorant of Sonya. Telling people to poke Sonya is like telling them to sign their own death warrant. Do not get into the habit of trying to poke Sonya. She will eat you alive if you do this. Lol at the person saying "be twice as aggressive as she is". That will get you blown up against a good Sonya.
What the fuck man. You can pressure the bitch, especially if she doesnt have meter. She is not a god. She is not invulnerable to pressure. She can be poked. You have to know when to poke. This is fuckin stupid. People are talking about her as if she cant be damaged by Scorpion. Fuckin ridiculous. You are not going to be reduced to dust by beating on her.

In player matches I refuse to fight people with shitty records. I have plenty of experience with people who know how to use Sonya. She is not as hard as revolver's Kitana and we can take turns beating each other on a good day.

Btw, Foxy Grampa's record is up there with Forever King, and it's not due to Sonya being the ultimate power in the universe.

Edit: You know what people usually do when I beat their Sonya so many times in a row? They break out Kitana. If you dont know how to fight Sonya then you have ZERO chance against Kitana.