What's new

Question - Mileena Mileena's weaknesses?

I'd imagine this is an issue, like, point blank lol. But then again, it's weird that her low sai is so negative when you have other low projectiles being pretty damn good.

Hopefully things pan out for you guys. I have hope for the character, but telekick being punishable on hit alone is dumb lmao.
Yep. Same with her teleport kick. Like Kung Lao would want to purposley get hit by regular teleport kicks cause that's a free spin punish LOL

One is a blockable mid. The other is an actual throw that only connects with crouching opponents. This gives the 50/50 of block the low poke or get caught by the command throw. It's unsafe if they avoid the throw (i.e. stand up) but that's Mileena all over. The important thing is that it unlike Ex Roll it doesn't require meter to use.
alright, so the statements about ravenous and the information i had was wrong. Thanks.

Yep. Same with her teleport kick. Like Kung Lao would want to purposley get hit by regular teleport kicks cause that's a free spin punish LOL
I have had this happen. Probably didnt let me hit him on purpose, but it doesnt really matter. Lol.. regular tk is only good if people are already in the air Or being juggled already.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
One is a blockable mid. The other is an actual throw that only connects with crouching opponents. This gives the 50/50 of block the low poke or get caught by the command throw. It's unsafe if they avoid the throw (i.e. stand up) but that's Mileena all over. The important thing is that it unlike Ex Roll it doesn't require meter to use.
Well, considering it's nearly just as punishable on whiff (-26) as a blocked EX Roll, but only grants a fraction of the damage and leaves your opponent far away from you, I don't think should be used as an alternative to EX Ball Roll, even if you don't have meter.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Ravenous doesnt give you more mixups. I have been told by several people that her command throws are blockable mids.
Do you even know what you're talking about? Why not see them for yourself?

That's a big problem going on. People go on hearsay rather than hitting the lab in the Mileena world.

I have no problem with Mileena not playing the bulldog playstyle like other rushdown characters. What I do have a problem with is that most of the tools she has to play her new playstyle (spacing/bait punishing) are not good enough on their own. Certain strings into roll baits are risky as hell, but that how she plays. Her teleport gives her no advantage and her projectiles are mediocre.

If she has to have a 50/50 game through the way of meter, the rest of her tools need to get changed to help her flesh out her new playstyle better, cause the way it's going right now the gap is getting wider between her and other better characters (which I might even think would be 2/3 of the roster).

Her tele-kick is fine if it stays slightly negative on block but on hit it should be neutral or better. Some strings being plus and having better frames would not hurt the character either. I personally think revamping her projectiles in a major way will allow her to play the game she was meant to play. Fast start up , fair recovery, plus on hit and fair on block so that their useable in strings. Making her projectile game better would greatly help Mileena. This game naturally encourages rushdown and doesn't assist most other playstyles. But if she had this her tools would be good enough to actually bait in a safe way.

Evil Tokens

RestNPxss
Ravenous is the best for dmg I've found.
43% 1bar anywhere on the screen and without bar in the 30's.

and no, she is def. not a rush down character, you have to train your opponents and then mix them accordingly. Takes a certian type of player to enjoy mileena.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
I'd imagine this is an issue, like, point blank lol. But then again, it's weird that her low sai is so negative when you have other low projectiles being pretty damn good.

Hopefully things pan out for you guys. I have hope for the character, but telekick being punishable on hit alone is dumb lmao.

Question for Ethereal. Is the EX sai teleport armored at all? And does it let her move any faster than the normal?
EX Teleport has no armour and to the naked eye it doesn't seem she moves faster than normal teleport, more or less the same speed

I honestly expect and hope for Telekick's bad frames on hit to be fixed at some point. Outside of that, I feel she doesn't need too much to be truly solid.
For now, I'd say...
- Have her be able to combo off of raw air sai. (As it is now, it's a pretty useless tool unless she's in mid combo).
- Have her meterless sai/low sai attacks be neutral or slight advantage on hit. (EN versions are both plus I believe)
- Maybe make F3 + on block

And of course, other known problems
- Fix D1 whiffing issue (I'm pretty sure this will be addressed)
- Fix X-ray whiffing issue (Not sure what causes it exactly, but this should be addressed also if possible)

Also, what is the true benefit to EN Fade? I was told some time ago she threw three sais to confuse your opponent as to where she reappears, but I don't remember seeing that last I played.

TheGabStandard

Also, what is the true benefit to EN Fade? I was told some time ago she threw three sais to confuse your opponent as to where she reappears, but I don't remember seeing that last I played.
There is no benefit apart from showing off the flash in the Fade, basically spending a bar of meter for aesthetics. Now if EX Fade worked like as you said that would be an improvement

There is no benefit apart from showing off the flash in the Fade, basically spending a bar of meter for aesthetics. Now if EX Fade worked like as you said that would be an improvement
If fade had a faster recovery so you could actually... you know... use it as an anti zoning tool and wiff punish people, ethereal would be kinda cool. It seems like that was the whole intention of the variation, but the startup and recovery make it suck for that.

@Johnny San

Dude I already said I was given misinformation. settle down. I still don't think high and low pounce make her good. If you do, that's fine. Mileena is a cool character and I'm glad people are going to stick with her, but for me, when I try literally like 2/3 of the other characters I feel like I've just taken off some ankle weights.

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
She's full of weaknesses... Not only that she doesn't have any good/fast 50/50s you can also easily read her. She also lacks options to open her opponents..

Oh and the wakeu...What wakeups?

If I had to name character that won't be "popular" amongst all the pro tourney players - it would be the punching bag, aka Mileena.

TheGabStandard

She's full of weaknesses... Not only that she doesn't have any good/fast 50/50s you can also easily read her. She also lacks options to open her opponents..

If I had to name character that won't be "popular" amongst all the pro tourney players - it would be the punching bag, aka Mileena.
I think its harsh to call her a punching bag. While she has issues its not like she can't do anything at all. I will say that meter is an important part of her game when she is on the offensive

While these are not true 50/50s, reacting to an 8 frame start up makes it essentially the same thing.

21 roll or 2 ex roll - overhead or low on hit 2
F12b4 or F12 ex roll - overhead or low on the3rd hit.
B21 or b2 ex roll - overhead or low on the 2nd hit.
F23b4 or f23 ex roll - overhead or low on the last hit.

She does have them. She just needs meter or shes never hitting anyone. And even with it, taking damage or dealing any damage is always a coin flip

I just refuse to get over the -8 low sai from point blank though. Could you imagine the Kung Lao whining if low hat was changed to -8 in buzz saw on hit and could be punished? People would complain to no end that the character is ruined eventhough he has other available mixups anyway.

Last edited:

iMileena

"I will cut a hole in you"
If you know what your dealing with opponent wise .i can say as a mileena main you have to know what your up against. I say her weakness is when characters block & turtle the whole match , so you must come with some good blocking cause she is highly punishable in mkx (thanks NRS) cuz i got beaten badly by some clown who couldn't even do a 10% combo but sure can block & jump -_-

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
A 33 frame overhead isn't bad when f344 itself is overhead-mid-low, has no gaps, f34 is neutral, and is special cancelable after each normal. Not to mention it causes certain wakeup attacks to whiff and creates the potential for wakeup reversals with correct timing.

You guys need to look for more than just startup to determine how good it is. In order for Mileena to get out a f3 safely, she needs to be at least +33. The good news is, Mileena has a ton of moves that grant her a ton of hit advantage.
  • j3, +50 on hit, techable
  • j4, +50 on hit, techable
  • nj1, +46 on hit, techable
  • nj2, +46 on hit, techable
  • f143, +36 on hit, techable
  • 21u4, +30 on hit, untechable
    • Doing f3 immediately after 21u4 on hit creates a wakeup reversal situation. Also, since roll is high crush, canceling f3 into roll will punish things like d'vorah's trident rush.
  • f343, +48 on hit, techable
    • One of the few of these strings that's not usable as a combo ender :(
  • f44, +52 on hit, techable
    • The 4 in f34 moves Mileena's hurtbox to the back and her hitbox waaaay in front, so f34 will actually punish some armored wakeup moves on tech roll.
  • roll (bd4), +58 on hit, techable
    • This is my go-to combo ender because it leaves the opponent close to you and lets you mix up between f3 and f4. The opponent has the ability to blow up both with an armored wakeup attack, but you're so plus that you can easily bait them and punish accordingly.
  • EX roll (bd4+blk), +59 on hit, techable
    • Obv same deal as regular roll.
I hope this encourages people to explore Mileena's slower moves more! These moves aren't just great for f3 setups – they're also great for knockdown pressure with 21u4, f4, d4, throw, etc.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
I disagree, sonicfox plays her. Idk if you'v heard of him though :rolleyes:

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
I disagree, sonicfox plays her. Idk if you'v heard of him though :rolleyes:
Yeah he did in his own stream (atleast that's where I saw him playing her) but not in any tournament. And im pretty sure we won't see her any time soon in any Majors untill she will get ATLEAST A LITTLE more buffed. IMO

P.S. SonicFox was the one who said that Mileena is one of the most (if not the most) unsafe char in MKX. I think that was before/after Fatal 8.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
Yeah he did in his own stream (atleast that's where I saw him playing her) but not in any tournament. And im pretty sure we won't see her any time soon in any Majors untill she will get ATLEAST A LITTLE more buffed. IMO

P.S. SonicFox was the one who said that Mileena is one of the most (if not the most) unsafe char in MKX. I think that was before/after Fatal 8.
Isn't Erron Black also mighty unsafe though?

Lulzlou

Noob
I think she is a solid character. I agree completely with how she has to fight an uphill battle most of the time.

Too me I feel like her walk back speed needs to be increased before changing anything of hers. Just because she can't really keep pressure and rush down doesn't mean thats her weakness.

IMO a simple increase of her walk back speed will help her with how I feel like she is meant to be played.

I think she is a solid character. I agree completely with how she has to fight an uphill battle most of the time.

Too me I feel like her walk back speed needs to be increased before changing anything of hers. Just because she can't really keep pressure and rush down doesn't mean thats her weakness.

IMO a simple increase of her walk back speed will help her with how I feel like she is meant to be played.
I don't necessarily disagree with this.

As I'm finding and as others have pointed out, she's one of those characters that seems to be meant as a footsie / bait and wiff type character. These types of characters are on most people's low tier list because that's not how the historically strong characters in recent MK games work.

That said, my opinion is that these kinds of characters simply are not as good in MK games, plus she has some tools that don't make sense when she's forced to play like that.

Lulzlou

Noob
I don't necessarily disagree with this.

As I'm finding and as others have pointed out, she's one of those characters that seems to be meant as a footsie / bait and wiff type character. These types of characters are on most people's low tier list because that's not how the historically strong characters in recent MK games work.

That said, my opinion is that these kinds of characters simply are not as good in MK games, plus she has some tools that don't make sense when she's forced to play like that.
Well I didn't say nothing should be changed about her. I do feel like stuff being negative on hit is ridiculous and should be changed. But other than that, before doing anything crazy with buffs, a simple walk back speed increase would help since a lot of characters have good normals and the run mechanic is a thing.

I do agree with you saying those types of characters aren't as good in MK games.

Just my opinion though. I'm not even good at the game. I even think her variations from best to worse are Ravenous, Ethereal then Piercing. Unless piercing gets changed, it will forever be last for me. I think Ravenous and Ethereal are almost even with the slight advantage to Ravenous.