What's new

Question - Mileena Mileena's weaknesses?

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
I've played her for two days so far and she feels so powerful, what exactly are her weaknesses aside from having a very hard time escaping a corner? I haven't found any.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
If you want to call it a "weakness," she doesn't have a true 50/50. She has to spend meter for a overhead that leads to a combo. I don't think that's a weakness though.

She has a ton of mixups, but most of them aren't even safe.

EX roll is really good to mix up your opponents, but it's a 50/50. If her F3 was a viable option (32 frames kill me), she'd be very good. It's already neutral on block and her f4 is a low starter in which you can do f44 to make it a lot safer (-8)

Her normals are pretty sluggish and bad reach. It's kind of hard to keep pressure going with her when your only true overhead is 32 frames.

She's gonna be a very risky character who DOES get rewarded, but there are characters out there with crazy mixup games with a lot more safer options, not to mention godlike pokes and normals, who often leave them at + or at least neutral.
Mileena has an 11 frame d1 at -4 and like a 10 frame d3 (or 9 frames)

She's not bad, but she certainly is going to have an uphill battle keeping up, but it's important to note, she CAN keepup. It's just gonna be a tough hill to climb

Sulfur

Hard time opening people up. Everything is a huge risk for her. You can literally sit there holding block and just let her hang herself.

And her teleport is negative on hit. lol
How negative? If Lao's spin can't punish it that doesn't matter.
Not at the game right now, I'll figure this one out if no one responds.

Rodrigue

Spongerod
What's with the Mileena downplay? I believe she has to be played a certain way and can't just run up and 50/50 city like some characters. She has to bait and punish. I'm still learning how to use her tools properly. I just learned she can roll under projectiles lol.
Slight difference between downplaying and being real. Rolling under projectiles doesn't outweigh her moves being negative on block and her only overhead being slower than Batman's f3. 32 frames. Upplay that.

D

Deleted member 9158

-8 on HIT!
I'm sure this will get fixed eventually. That's pointlessly hurting the character, and probably an oversight.

I find she is not a rushdown character at all (like she was in mk9). I have the most success with her at mid-screen baiting whiffs and jumps by peppering them with Sai attacks. Mostly due to her lousy normals and terribly slow 32 frame overhead.

Sulfur

I find she is not a rushdown character at all (like she was in mk9). I have the most success with her at mid-screen baiting whiffs and jumps by peppering them with Sai attacks. Mostly due to her lousy normals and terribly slow 32 frame overhead.
Is that what you would call a weakness? or a playstyle?

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Slight difference between downplaying and being real. Rolling under projectiles doesn't outweigh her moves being negative on block and her only overhead being slower than Batman's f3. 32 frames. Upplay that.
My point is that she isn't a rush down character at all. She has a low projectile which can duck under other projectiles and a roll that goes under mid projectiles. Her roll is a fantastic anti air and her b12 is a solid whiff punisher. I just feel like people are trying to go ham with her when that's not how she was designed.

D

Deleted member 9158

Is that what you would call a weakness? or a playstyle?
The bad normals and 32 frame overhead I would definitely call a weakness. The way I play her is not a weakness, just how I play her.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Are you talking about her F3 or EX roll? I mean, I guess technically she does but in comparison to majority of the cast, it's a bit garbage.

She's far from worst in the game though. But, requires a lot of work.
She has a few strings that are cancelable that have a low so you have to guess between those. She also has her low starter or ex roll as a starter. Not the best 50/50's but imo the best 50/50's in this game shouldn't be how they are.

Mr Mileena's post has the best summary to answer your question
And to answer everyone's concern over "Mileena isn't a rushdown, in your face character."

Yes, she isn't. And those are the types of characters this game is favoring, for the most part.
Other character's who aren't have other dirt like vortexes and whatnot, safe mixups, etc.

Reactions: JDE

Sulfur

And to answer everyone's concern over "Mileena isn't a rushdown, in your face character."

Yes, she isn't. And those are the types of characters this game is favoring, for the most part.
Other character's who aren't have other dirt like vortexes and whatnot, safe mixups, etc.
The game is still young though, that might change.

She has a "ton of mixups"??

She needs meter to have any. Without meter, she has zero. she has like 4 with meter..

Every single thing she can do is blocked the exact same way when she has no meter. When she does have meter, she can put people in a coinflip situation at best. if she loses the coinflip, she eats what ever punish is available. If she wins, she gets mid 30%.

Her fastest poke is ten frame startup, and two of her variations are worthless.

Ravenous doesnt give you more mixups. I have been told by several people that her command throws are blockable mids.

-8 punishable low sai on hit.
Punishable regular tk on hit.

One meterless overhead that doesnt ever even need to be blocked ever.

ethereal is a variation based on punishable movement when back dashing and running are way better.

D1 randomly wiffs for no reason
Ex tk wiffs and gets punished on hit against certain opponents
Xray randomly acts like regular tk and gets you punished for using all of your precious meter.

Sami

Noob
Ravenous doesnt give you more mixups. I have been told by several people that her command throws are blockable mids.
One is a blockable mid. The other is an actual throw that only connects with crouching opponents. This gives the 50/50 of block the low poke or get caught by the command throw. It's unsafe if they avoid the throw (i.e. stand up) but that's Mileena all over. The important thing is that it unlike Ex Roll it doesn't require meter to use.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
-8 punishable low sai on hit.
I'd imagine this is an issue, like, point blank lol. But then again, it's weird that her low sai is so negative when you have other low projectiles being pretty damn good.

Hopefully things pan out for you guys. I have hope for the character, but telekick being punishable on hit alone is dumb lmao.

Question for Ethereal. Is the EX sai teleport armored at all? And does it let her move any faster than the normal?