What's new

Mileena is fun but doesn't have what it takes to win a major, here's why

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
I love how a billion people thank you for this but when other people say exactly the same thing about these matchups, they're just whiners.

All you can do against KL is try to bait out a spin, block it, and punish it with roll, b1, 4, dash 1, 1, 2, bite. Good luck doing that when he's ALWAYS going to have a breaker against Mileena. The timing is so strict on punishing the enhanced spin with the overhead starter that I've decided it's not worth it, because a hair of miscalculation makes you eat a spin, and the B3 roll starter doesn't work because blocked spin knocks you out of range to do it.

Since you're only talking about majors, we don't have to talk about Kenshi... which imo is even worse than KL.

I've also been playing mileena mainly for about a month now, and I agree with these assessments. These are definitely the toughest matchups I've had to face with her (save Kenshi). My brother plays Raiden exclusively, so I get alot of practice against him. I have an easier time with Raiden than I do against KL, but I think that kidna goes without saying, because what you posted about the KL matchup is true for way more characters than just mileena.
I approve of everything stated here and completely agree. With one small, very minor change. The Roll combo can actually be:
Ball Roll, U+4, B+1, 4, dash, 1, 1, 2, *Bite (26%, 12 Hits)

And Kenshi is awful ... =-(

I think Ermac should be in front of Kung Lao actually. He's much safer and controls way more of the screen than he does. Also punishes her much harder (without using x-ray like KL has to)

I approve of everything stated here and completely agree. With one small, very minor change. The Roll combo can actually be:
Ball Roll, U+4, B+1, 4, dash, 1, 1, 2, *Bite (26%, 12 Hits)

And Kenshi is awful ... =-(

haha woops, that's actually the combo I meant to post. Thanks for the catch. :)

Mileena can punish the hell out of Ermac.

So I guess if Reo takes Evo this thread should be renamed huh...?

More like "Mileena is fun but doesn't have what it takes to win ANOTHER major, here's why"

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
So...was this an internet mind game weapon to make competitors sleep on REO's Mileena, and question who he mite come strong with?

Serious lolz if he wins with her now. Out of those matchups he listed there's only Raiden and KL being played in the top 8 now. Rep she's 7-3 against correct?

Also, his only loss was to Michelangelo I believe, he beat Aris's Smoke in a great match and mustve beat some of those other bad matchups on way to top 8. Just interesting it all seems.

CaliJokerstyle

Dies A Lot
So...was this an internet mind game weapon to make competitors sleep on REO's Mileena, and question who he mite come strong with?

Serious lolz if he wins with her now. Out of those matchups he listed there's only Raiden and KL being played in the top 8 now. Rep she's 7-3 against correct?

Also, his only loss was to Michelangelo I believe, he beat Aris's Smoke in a great match and mustve beat some of those other bad matchups on way to top 8. Just interesting it all seems.
The thing he was basing this on is if the player know the matchup. However most of the people at EVO haven't seen a true top tier mileena player so REO is able to utilize that and take some victories. On another note if anyone can win with a Char that shouldn't win its REO he plays a chess game style and manages his meter better than any player i have seen its nasty.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Let me ask a question.

Is it possible for someone to eat their own words? REO made it to top 8. He's about to eat his own words. I think he was lying to us.:D

VIDA

The thing he was basing this on is if the player know the matchup. However most of the people at EVO haven't seen a true top tier mileena player so REO is able to utilize that and take some victories. On another note if anyone can win with a Char that shouldn't win its REO he plays a chess game style and manages his meter better than any player i have seen its nasty.
Def makes sense what you are saying but lets say he genuinely meant what he stated with this matchup analysis...not that he didnt lets say for sure he did. Isnt wierd that he;d make a thread about how populr and semi-popular tourney chars beat mileena at high level play, like what a week before the Evo he made top 8 for, playing HER exclusively? I understand wanting to share knowledge but the timing is odd, esp given the present situation.

Im not accussing or saying it would be wrong or cheap for him to have done this thread as a throw off, just saying its all a lil peculiar you have to admit. Im just pondering the possibilities thats all.

I will say this, he abused the two versions of Telekick a lil bit, yet was almost never punished, since its a tricky punish you REALLY need practice for and it is true good-to-great Mileena players are hard to come by, and punishing that TK is def messy, esp without the practice.

I will say this, he abused the two versions of Telekick a lil bit, yet was almost never punished, since its a tricky punish you REALLY need practice for and it is true good-to-great Mileena players are hard to come by, and punishing that TK is def messy, esp without the practice.
This.... is the exact reason why I'm torn about wanting him to win. He's amazed me by how far he's taken Mileena and I'd normally wish him well. But when I see his Mileena I go... "How is this stuff working?" I'm hoping to see some new tech I could adopt. Guess there's still hope for Top 8.

VIDA

This.... is the exact reason why I'm torn about wanting him to win. He's amazed me by how far he's taken Mileena and I'd normally wish him well. But when I see his Mileena I go... "How is this stuff working?" I'm hoping to see some new tech I could adopt. Guess there's still hope for Top 8.
Hey if ANY1's saving tech for top 8, it would defintely be him and his scandalous, calculating mind. That boy's a schemer I tells ya. :)

lol I just got an image of REO with a Shang style goatee stroking it in his hotel room as he says: "it's all coming in to place, just like i planned" before letting out a treacherous laugh lol. I mean no disrespect at all, just cant help but think of this stuff.

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
All of his match-up data from the OP seems to support my experience, too though. I've had more success against Raiden, but I play more online and 9 times out of 10 Raiden Online = Scrub. I don't agree with Shang Tsung being a bad match-up either, but whatevs.

He's dead on with Kung Lao. He rapes her. Did you see those matches where Perfect Legend mounted the offensive and started rushing a bitch down? She can do nothing to him.

Also, to whomever said the top 8 was all Raiden and Lao. The top 8 is actually 8 different characters:
1. Chris G (Reptile) 2. JOP (Johnny Cage) 3. DMG Perfect Legend (Kung Lao) 4. Denzell (Sub-Zero) 5. Osu 16-bit (Kitana) 6. Online Tony (Kabal) 7. ATL Redd (Liu Kang) 8. REO (Mileena)

Unless I missed something.

Dark_Rob

Noob
LOL. I had to chuckle when you said of REO's Mileena "How is this stuff working?" Im not laughing at you, Im laughing with you because Ive seen player after player have the same reaction to him, which is basically "How the hell does he get away with this stuff??"
It really doesnt come down to Mileena, or Cage, or Reptile,Kabal,Quan Chi,Cyber Sub zero or any other character hes played.
Reo beats you with his mind. He understands better than most what people will do in any given situation. This is Reo's X-factor, the thing that seperates him from other great players. This is the same ability that has carried players like Daigo Umehara and Justin Wong to victory after victory. Reo is that type of player, Hes above good, hes above great, hes one of those few that are truly elite.
It isnt that hes going to show you guys anything with Mileena that you havent already seen. Reo doesnt need tricks or secrets to win. Hes going to show you how he invades his opponents mind, how he makes them do his bidding and then how he uses that to get away with everything that makes you guys say "How the hell is this stuff working?"

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
LOL. I had to chuckle when you said of REO's Mileena "How is this stuff working?" Im not laughing at you, Im laughing with you because Ive seen player after player have the same reaction to him, which is basically "How the hell does he get away with this stuff??"
It really doesnt come down to Mileena, or Cage, or Reptile,Kabal,Quan Chi,Cyber Sub zero or any other character hes played.
Reo beats you with his mind. He understands better than most what people will do in any given situation. This is Reo's X-factor, the thing that seperates him from other great players. This is the same ability that has carried players like Daigo Umehara and Justin Wong to victory after victory. Reo is that type of player, Hes above good, hes above great, hes one of those few that are truly elite.
It isnt that hes going to show you guys anything with Mileena that you havent already seen. Reo doesnt need tricks or secrets to win. Hes going to show you how he invades his opponents mind, how he makes them do his bidding and then how he uses that to get away with everything that makes you guys say "How the hell is this stuff working?"
Then why would he say his on main can't win a major while he's a few wins away from reaching that goal.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Then why would he say his on main can't win a major while he's a few wins away from reaching that goal.
Because at the highest level of play Mileena can not beat Kung Lao. If he has to face Perfect Legend I would bet Reo will ditch her and we will see a Kung Lao mirror match.
So far Reo has won because hes a better player. Perfect Legend is just as good, the matchup will be to much even for Reo to overcome. He will have to switch to Kung Lao.(Reo's Kung is ridiculous btw)

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
Because its true. Mileena can't win a tourney however REO can.
This.
Wanna know who else plays Mileena? Me.
Wanna know who gets punished like a dominatrix' whipping boy every time the teleport drop is blocked? Also me.
Who gets fuzzy guarded into oblivion? That's me, too.

He doesn't have any more tools than I do. I didn't see anything new while watching the stream today; and honestly, I do well for the most part with this game, but he was getting by with stuff today that made me say WTF!? ... I even thought I saw a few BLOCKED ROLLS go unpunished.

It's not the character. It's the player. Mad props to REO.

CaliJokerstyle

Dies A Lot
The Big thing everyone needs to remember is it's not the Character that makes th eplayer its the player that makes the character. I get flak all the time because i main Sindel and she is often said to be unable to compete at tourneys, but look at what happened at EVO today two Sindels made it out of pools. Any character can beat any other if the player is better. Now if the players are equally high level as Dark_Rob was pointing out that is when Character selection matters. Otherwise it means nothing.

Well what can I say? I saw Aris ducking into so many U+4s I actually said "Splits!" every time it hit.

It's true. There are guys like that in every competitive fighting game scene. I said the same thing to myself when I played Saibot MK online before. Not sure if he is on the same level as Reo or not, but the same thought crossed my mind. In my experience though, everyone has their patterns or rhythms to figure out. Including guys like him. It's just a matter of finding that and making them uncomfortable doing what they like to do. If I ever play Reo in a tourney, he might think my Mileena doesn't make sense to him either.

Well... my first MK tourney will be Summer Jam, here's hoping I can make half as good a showing with Mil.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
The Big thing everyone needs to remember is it's not the Character that makes th eplayer its the player that makes the character. I get flak all the time because i main Sindel and she is often said to be unable to compete at tourneys, but look at what happened at EVO today two Sindels made it out of pools. Any character can beat any other if the player is better. Now if the players are equally high level as Dark_Rob was pointing out that is when Character selection matters. Otherwise it means nothing.
Funny thing, people think the character is better all because they are beating characters they normally lose to.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
This.
Wanna know who else plays Mileena? Me.
Wanna know who gets punished like a dominatrix' whipping boy every time the teleport drop is blocked? Also me.
Who gets fuzzy guarded into oblivion? That's me, too.

He doesn't have any more tools than I do. I didn't see anything new while watching the stream today; and honestly, I do well for the most part with this game, but he was getting by with stuff today that made me say WTF!? ... I even thought I saw a few BLOCKED ROLLS go unpunished.

It's not the character. It's the player. Mad props to REO.
Honestly, it's REO's ability and people being unfamiliar with Mileena. I know how to fuzzy guard and punish her blocked roll, blocked telekick and even her bite on reaction; but that's due to me being familar with the character. People just give in to the D4 baits and get setup for her string. Really, it's a 5/5 for Rep to me, but REO is honestly a better player than I am so I can't dispute that he'd more than likely win.

Danno

Noob
With only 1 Kung Lao on the board I'd say REO will probably stick with mileena. If there is one thing I've learned about this game it's, Stick with what you know! If you're getting beat, adjust your shit. Don't switch to another character you haven't played all weekend. If your mind has been dialed into mileena then it'll be tough to transition to another player. (especially in top 8)

REO good luck and I hope you are eating these words come Monday!

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
First of all, people seem to be over reacting to 8/2, 9/1, and 10/0 match ups. These match ups are borderline impossible to win (10/0 being impossible). This game has a lot more 6/4's than people want to admit. Second; just because you have a hard time against X doesn't mean the character has a bad match up. It could very well be you! I would like to think I play against an awesome and diverse group of people in Philly, including a Mileena player that rivals REO any given day (in terms of using her to read the opponent). Mileena can on reaction teleport kick whenever Sektor throws any missile out. This sucks; I thought I was dealing with a 7/3 or more dramatic match up. Next week I come back with a new strategy and win 50% of the matches. While I still believe the on reaction teleports give the advantage to Mileena, it's not near as dramatic as I once thought. You have to adapt, and most likely play a way that you haven't before.

And lastly, Mileena is a great character because she gives you the tools needed to play mind games. Some character (even high tier ones) do not equip you with these calibur tools (Ermac is a great example). Not many people have combo starter lows,overheads, and a low to overhead. Mileena also lets you adapt to zoning as well as face to face combat on the fly. Her tools are not as obvious as say, Kung Lao's spin, but they are there. In my opinion, most of the roster can win a major; I have a good feeling we'll see a new character claim the throne Sunday.