What's new

Microsoft Respond To Concerns Over Xbox1

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
You are sold a licence to a game. The terms to that licence can change at any time.

Think of it like renting a game.
I know what it is. You are still owning the game though. Even if the circumstance are different. You are sold the right to use it. It is pretty much the same thing. I mean I cant really think of any differences that would occur under that system.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
I know what it is. You are still owning the game though. Even if the circumstance are different. You are sold the right to use it. It is pretty much the same thing. I mean I cant really think of any differences that would occur under that system.

Well, think of it this way. You are sold the rights to use a game, but digital rights are more sketchy than physical rights.

All games on xbone fall under digital rights, as opposed to the classic 'the disc plays the game' rights.

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
Well, think of it this way. You are sold the rights to use a game, but digital rights are more sketchy than physical rights.

All games on xbone fall under digital rights, as opposed to the classic 'the disc plays the game' rights.
I understand that... what I am having trouble understanding is what would possible changes be? I am under the impression that the experience would be very similar.

JaredL

I understand that... what I am having trouble understanding is what would possible changes be? I am under the impression that the experience would be very similar.

Publishers have a lot more rights to fuck you over.
No street date breaking.
Possibility of losing your games forever and ever if servers go down.
Limited harddrive space.

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
Publishers have a lot more rights to fuck you over.
No street date breaking.
Possibility of losing your games forever and ever if servers go down.
Limited harddrive space.
Thank you. I think I have a better understanding now. Although the street date breaking one is hardly a restriction. :p

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82

He can't see me, but I just want to point out that he didn't answer the original question. Why is it anti-consumer?

Oh... you can ignore. Nice! It's not anti-consumer. A disc is just a medium for the data, you can give someone a piece of plastic and still require the game be connected online to play which makes that disk just as valuable or worthless as a digital medium. The disk argument is really stupid this day and age. People keep complaining about the "what if the server gets shut off rendering my property useless". There have been countless games already that have gone through such things, and nobody cares because they are old and no longer played. Floppy disk games anyone? Old/Failed MMOs and yet people move on. It's extremely rare that I've seen a game that requires an internet connection to play get shut down when it still had people playing it. True ownership is actually quite rare. Most people don't know this fun tidbit but if you live in the states even after you are done paying off your car you still don't actually own it

You own the right to drive it. You get a certificate of title and not the actual title: "The certificate of title is a piece of paper that only represents the title of the car. Each car that is manufactured has an MCO, or “manufacturer’s certificate of origin,” that is the true title for the car. Because most cars are purchased on a payment plan, the dealer sends the MCO to the state agency that controls the registration of vehicles. The MCO is microfilmed and then shredded to make it much more difficult for you to obtain the actual title."

Well they didn't seem very willing to reverse the X1 limitations at E3. In all interviews they gave the same arrogant and generic answers, not to mention the insulting attitude of people like Mattrick, so I doubt this set of rumors is true.

However, even with all those limitations off PS4 is still the better console, both specs-wise and feature wise. Unless you're interested in a giant tv remote and a spy cam watching you 24/7

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
You were the one praising always online DRM and used game DRM , as well as region locking.
Yea, those are good ideas and neither feature will bother me in any way as my console stays connected now. There's nothing for you to argue anymore.

JaredL

Yea, those are good ideas and neither feature will bother me in any way as my console stays connected now. There's nothing for you to argue anymore.

Price and performance are still in Sonys favour of course.

And, they revealed their intentions well enough, defended them multiple times and so... they showed their true face. I don't like it and I won't pay for it.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
You get what you pay for. And PS4 doesn't out perform anything, neither console has been released.

They have shown their true face, catering to the customer wants.

JaredL

You get what you pay for. And PS4 doesn't out perform anything, neither console has been released.

They have shown their true face, catering to the customer wants.

Hardware specs are out. Where do you live? A cave?