What's new

Microsoft Respond To Concerns Over Xbox1

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
OK so here is a positive article on the XB1, that talks about what the 300,000 servers on the cloud will do for the system and its games. I have to absolutely admit this would be one of the most impressive things to see if it actually works the way this MS engineer is describing it. Basically take a game like Skyrim and imagine it literally being living breathing world because of how much more power that the cloud would add to it. I may be opposed to the policies in place, but coming from a tech geek and gamer's stand point this could be impressive and it could trully bring technology into a very intresting future.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-19-microsoft-makes-the-case-for-xbox-ones-300-000-server-cloud-but-what-do-developers-think

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
OK so here is a positive article on the XB1, that talks about what the 300,000 servers on the cloud will do for the system and its games. I have to absolutely admit this would be one of the most impressive things to see if it actually works the way this MS engineer is describing it. Basically take a game like Skyrim and imagine it literally being living breathing world because of how much more power that the cloud would add to it. I may be opposed to the policies in place, but coming from a tech geek and gamer's stand point this could be impressive and it could trully bring technology into a very intresting future.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-19-microsoft-makes-the-case-for-xbox-ones-300-000-server-cloud-but-what-do-developers-think

Power of the cloud is always something I take with a pinch of salt.

Cloud computing has yet to prove itself. See simcity.

Plus 300,000 servers is iffy, there was a game developer who accused microsoft of them being 'virtual servers' and misleading the public. I don't know how true it is, but if it sounds too good to be true, it might be.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
I have been away doing some research.. talking to some LEVEL headed Sony fans... reading some Sony boards.. and before the Sony loyalists come here preaching the good word.. they may want to take a step back and do more research on their beloved PS4.. instead of bashing the XB1...

In regards to possible issues with the PS4...
"Well specs don’t really have much to do with anything.. Both consoles have a 500GB HDD, the problem is the blu-rays. Blue-rays contain a lot of memory, so it takes longer to read this information. I don’t know if you remember, but back when blu-ray players first came out, the majority of them took several minutes just to load a movie. MS already has a solution to this problem, their 3 operating systems. Sonys Solution to this problem? “buy a 500GB SSD HDD”.. So in short, if you want to have your PS4 loading games as fast as your XB1 does (or at least nearly as fast) you are going to have to spend another $300-500 on a 500 GB SSD HDD."
"If you are a Sony fan like me, and you've been following the PS4, like me. Then you know the biggest concern right now is going to be the actual speed of the PS4. How fast it loads games, how fast it starts up, how fast it starts applications, etc... If you want your PS4 to have the speed of a next gen console, unfortunately you are going to have to buy an SSD HDD which go for around $300-$500. Making the total cost of your PS4 going from $400, to $600-$900 (NOT including PS+). This will mainly affect the load screens, load times and general things of that nature... Not too much for in game, game play."

"Ultimately think of the PS4 as having only the one "PS OS" when the user loads up the game, so that one OS is going to have to do EVERYTHING.. On the XB1, you have two OS's working with each other for every single game you play.. That coupled with cloud, means SUPER SPEED!
"This will be the main system OS used to run apps such as Skype and other non-game titles downloaded from the XBOX storefront. At the same time, virtualization technology similar to Microsoft's HYPER-V will be used to allocate the bulk of system resources to a second, dedicated "Xbox OS" when the user loads up a game. Finally, the third OS sounds like a small layer to assist with the virtualization, allowing the two main personalities of the console to talk to each other" http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-runs-three-operating-systems/

Further real life Sony concerns..and speculation from the Sony community….
The PS4 has to be careful not to step on the same landmine as MS did with the initial launch of the Xbox360 (concerning the RRD issue), Look at the size difference of the consoles, the 360’s problem was too much in too small of an area, stuff melted. The PS4 is very tiny, and its hard to notice ventilation holes (though Im sure they are there)… Also, since Im not a follower of MS, I think it was either the CPU or the GPU or one of the two components linked to those that melted on the 360. It was basically because they chose a part that wasn’t on the market long enough to determine its long term reliability.. Which sounds EXACTLY like the GDDr5 Sony is using in their PS4.

Sony is all gumdrops and rainbows and puppy dogs now... but just wait til the Systems launch... I have a feeling it is going to be Microsoft having the last laugh...
If that be the case... we should order a suicide watch for JaredL

I bid you all to take your blinders off and start researching the pros and cons to EACH system... Education is our best resource and could end up saving us money in the end

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
I have been away doing some research.. talking to some LEVEL headed Sony fans... reading some Sony boards.. and before the Sony loyalists come here preaching the good word.. they may want to take a step back and do more research on their beloved PS4.. instead of bashing the XB1...

"Well specs don’t really have much to do with anything.. Both consoles have a 500GB HDD, the problem is the blu-rays. Blue-rays contain a lot of memory, so it takes longer to read this information. I don’t know if you remember, but back when blu-ray players first came out, the majority of them took several minutes just to load a movie. MS already has a solution to this problem, their 3 operating systems. Sonys Solution to this problem? “buy a 500GB SSD HDD”.. So in short, if you want to have your PS4 loading games as fast as your XB1 does (or at least nearly as fast) you are going to have to spend another $300-500 on a 500 GB SSD HDD."
"If you are a Sony fan like me, and you've been following the PS4, like me. Then you know the biggest concern right now is going to be the actual speed of the PS4. How fast it loads games, how fast it starts up, how fast it starts applications, etc... If you want your PS4 to have the speed of a next gen console, unfortunately you are going to have to buy an SSD HDD which go for around $300-$500. Making the total cost of your PS4 going from $400, to $600-$900 (NOT including PS+). This will mainly affect the load screens, load times and general things of that nature... Not too much for in game, game play."

"Ultimately think of the PS4 as having only the one "PS OS" when the user loads up the game, so that one OS is going to have to do EVERYTHING.. On the XB1, you have two OS's working with each other for every single game you play.. That coupled with cloud, means SUPER SPEED!
"This will be the main system OS used to run apps such as Skype and other non-game titles downloaded from the XBOX storefront. At the same time, virtualization technology similar to Microsoft's HYPER-V will be used to allocate the bulk of system resources to a second, dedicated "Xbox OS" when the user loads up a game. Finally, the third OS sounds like a small layer to assist with the virtualization, allowing the two main personalities of the console to talk to each other" http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-runs-three-operating-systems/

The PS4 has to be careful not to step on the same landmine as MS did with the initial launch of the Xbox360 (concerning the RRD issue), Look at the size difference of the consoles, the 360’s problem was too much in too small of an area, stuff melted.The PS4 is very tiny, and its hard to notice ventilation holes (though Im sure they are there)… Also, since Im not a follower of MS, I think it was either the CPU or the GPU or one of the two components linked to those that melted on the 360.It was basically because they chose a part that wasn’t on the market long enough to determine its long term reliability.. Which sounds EXACTLY like the GDDr5 Sony is using in their PS4.

Sony is all gumdrops and rainbows and puppy dogs now... but just wait til the Systems launch... I have a feeling it is going to be Microsoft having the last laugh...

I bid you all to take your blinders off and start researching the pros and cons to EACH system... Education is our best resource and could end up saving us money in the end
This is why you never ever buy a system on day one you wait at least 6 months to iron out the issues in the system.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
This is why you never ever buy a system on day one you wait at least 6 months to iron out the issues in the system.
That is correct sir...

However I did feel the need to spread this info due to all the "lacking" info on Sony's behalf in the interest of keeping things neutral

I read yesterday that Respawn is not counting out Titanfall for the PS4, because Microsoft payed them 50 million dollars and gave them a studio so they could work on it, and they received a timed exclusive. Hello so after a year looks like PS4 will be getting some Xbone games. Man screw Killer Instinct I just want to play Fantasia! Over! Viva-La Playstation 4!

Here it is in simplest terms possible. . . When a developer builds a game on PS4 with Gaikai Vita/Galaxy Stream support . . that means the developer's MAIN PRIORITY is to make the game run perfectly on the PS4. THATS IT. The developer builds the game for PS4 and then AFTER the game is complete they can add support for Gaikai streaming service which for most part is up to Sony themselves to build. THe developers do very little work on actually Gaikai support and do not have to worry about ANYTHING but making the game run perfect on the PS4 hardware.
The Xbox "Cloud" bullshit is that Microsoft thinks that developers will take the INSANE risk of having graphic assets on the Xbox Hardware and then somehow do some insane work-around to add Internet provided "Cloud" Graphical assets to mix in flawlessly with the Xbox Hardware. . . so Microsoft wants developers to somehow not just make the game run perfect on an isolated Xbox One console but somehow do the impossible task of mixing in "Cloud" Graphic assets on top of XBox One graphic assets and make it run perfect. THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE, No developer will EVER take the risk of doing that because that means they have to build these imaginary scenarios like Xbox One + Perfect High-Speed Internet + Xbox Live + CLoud + Mixing in X1/Cloud graphics etc instead of the PS4 approach of just making the game run perfect on the BOX ITSELF, which is by far the simplest and most logical way to build a game.
SO basically Gaikai = Dev's build game on PS4. Gaikai may/may not be added AFTER GAME IS COMPLETE and running perfectly on PS4 itself with no other worries.
Xbox "cloud" graphcis = Dev's building half of game on X1 and creating theoritical scenarios of perfect internet connections to add graphic assest MIXED IN with X1 GRAPHIC ASSESTS. . .
If you had any idea of how insanely difficult it is to create and build Next-Gen games you would understand.
Not to mention that Sony has the superior hardware! You x-box fan boys can make make believe with you online fairies and sprites, but I will stick to whats real.....The system that has better hardware, don't have to be connected, doesn't have a spy camera, can sell used games, cheaper, don't need an engine jack to put it on my entertainment center, and less restrictions.

The PS4 has to be careful not to step on the same landmine as MS did with the initial launch of the Xbox360 (concerning the RRD issue), Look at the size difference of the consoles, the 360’s problem was too much in too small of an area, stuff melted. The PS4 is very tiny, and its hard to notice ventilation holes (though Im sure they are there)… Also, since Im not a follower of MS, I think it was either the CPU or the GPU or one of the two components linked to those that melted on the 360. It was basically because they chose a part that wasn’t on the market long enough to determine its long term reliability.. Which sounds EXACTLY like the GDDr5 Sony is using in their PS4.

Well said, all this Xbox talk I haven't even researched the ps4 but to be fair I'm not getting it day one, no backwards compatibly means I could wait years or until the next gen MK game comes out then ill buy it

What did microsoft expect when they announced those policies though? People to just accept them?
For the most part, yes. They anticipated a little heat with the reveal, but not to this extent. It's the blunders that Microsoft has made from a public relations standpoint that have undoubtedly perpetuated this massive level of resistance, which has snowballed faster than ever thanks to social media. Before things like Facebook and Youtube, there wouldn't be an issue, and Microsoft's vision would get more "well, I guess that's where they're going" rather than "HELL NO! YOU HEAR ME MICROSOFT!? I'm going to Sony and taking all my friends with me! I'm also going to make a video showcasing your missteps! #notgettingxboned#ps4eva#fuckhalo."

It's the fact that people can now speak as loud as they want on the Internet and feel more entitled to free progress and making demands. On top of that, the vast majority of people behave like a herd--following trending ideas. Even though there are plenty of capable, savvy thinkers, many others can now visibly identify how unfavored something is, and simply follow suit regardless of whether it's the right, better, or even their informed decision.

With that being said, Microsoft SHOULD have realized the Internet's reaction would be flat out terrible. Again, poor PR not having more defense and clarification.

JaredL

For the most part, yes. They anticipated a little heat with the reveal, but not to this extent. It's the blunders that Microsoft has made from a public relations standpoint that have undoubtedly perpetuated this massive level of resistance, which has snowballed faster than ever thanks to social media. Before things like Facebook and Youtube, there wouldn't be an issue, and Microsoft's vision would get more "well, I guess that's where they're going" rather than "HELL NO! YOU HEAR ME MICROSOFT!? I'm going to Sony and taking all my friends with me! I'm also going to make a video showcasing your missteps! #notgettingxboned#ps4eva#fuckhalo."

It's the fact that people can now speak as loud as they want on the Internet and feel more entitled to free progress and making demands. On top of that, the vast majority of people behave like a herd--following trending ideas. Even though there are plenty of capable, savvy thinkers, many others can now visibly identify how unfavored something is, and simply follow suit regardless of whether it's the right, better, or even their informed decision.

With that being said, Microsoft SHOULD have realized the Internet's reaction would be flat out terrible. Again, poor PR not having more defense and clarification.

People could have accepted it, if Sony wasn't offering a better deal. If all you could taste was shit, it stops tasting like it.

Omg PSN is down currently in Canada!! I can't play what will I do!!! Oh wait I can play my games offline... Crisis averted carry on back to the Xbox bashing

windsagio

Unique flower
Not really consumers fault. Its more Xbones fault for pursuing an anti consumer, pro foot in mouth agenda.
Foot in mouth to some degree yes, anti-consumer not so much.

The problem is more that many consumers tend to not even know what they like, let alone be able to articulate it effectively.

The whole point of MS' strategy is that they're doing what all the numbers say consumers actually want, not what internet yellers claim the consumers want.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I'm so lucky I insta-downloaded it without thinking and then I remember there was a patch a long time ago that turned PS3's into bricks. My PS3 is fine so I'm one of the lucky first adopters of patch 4.45 lol
Out of curiosity have you changed the HDD that came with your PS3? Nothing's concrete but it seems to be the main source of where the online problem is coming from.

JaredL

Foot in mouth to some degree yes, anti-consumer not so much.

The problem is more that many consumers tend to not even know what they like, let alone be able to articulate it effectively.

The whole point of MS' strategy is that they're doing what all the numbers say consumers actually want, not what internet yellers claim the consumers want.

Who wanted to give publishers so much rights? Who wanted an always online connection?

Who wanted a kinect? Some did. But mandatory kinect? That's not listening to consumers.

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
I don't know. I mean I know this guy is a tool. I don't really watch him very often... but he knows why Kinect is mandatory. His reasoning is pretty solid. Essentially he says it is because they can focus on more Kinect related content because everyone will own one as opposed to only like 4/10 people. That number was pulled out of my ass. Whatever. Maybe give the video a shot. He elaborates the point better. :p

People could have accepted it, if Sony wasn't offering a better deal. If all you could taste was shit, it stops tasting like it.
Okay, but Solomon Asch's my point is Sony could offer a device made out of cardboard and Popsicle sticks and some people would still pre-order if the masses told them it's the best system ever invented.

The dominating opinion is PS4 is better. Less than 20%* of those opinions derived from completely informed buyers, especially since Microsoft is sucking at getting the right information out there, and not all of the information has even been released yet for both consoles.

* I made up the percentage... accurate facts are overrated here anyways.

JaredL

Okay, but Solomon Asch's my point is Sony could offer a device made out of cardboard and Popsicle sticks and some people would still pre-order if the masses told them it's the best system ever invented.

The dominating opinion is PS4 is better. Less than 20%* of those opinions derived from completely informed buyers, especially since Microsoft is sucking at getting the right information out there, and not all of the information has even been released yet for both consoles.

Except people aren't liking sony because its cool to, its cheaper, has better consumer policies and hardware.

windsagio

Unique flower
Who wanted to give publishers so much rights? Who wanted an always online connection?

Who wanted a kinect? Some did. But mandatory kinect? That's not listening to consumers.

On the former, I don't know, I'd presume the logic goes something like 'working closely with publishers means more exclusives", but that's the geuss.

As to the latter, that's easy. The insane number of kinects sold is the main thing there.

But, even if I don't know personally, just by the way a company like MS works (one of the biggest money companies in the world), they have to had done an absolutely absurd amount of market research and data analysis to build the device they ended up with.

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!

I see your point. There are so many uneducated buyers. I mean here on TYM there was such an outrage because people didn't realize NRS developed the game... hence we got Scorpion and people were flipping out. They thought DC was developing the game or something crazy like that. They also got pretty mad because the mystery content (season pass) wasn't what they expected. It is funny how that happens. Personally I look into stuff before I buy it. So I can say I am one of the educated people that thinks the Ps4 will be better (for me). I have absolutely nothing against the Xbox One. I actually want one. I just think that once these consoles launch I will personally prefer the Ps4. I know I like Playstation Plus more than Live. I know I would prefer paying 100 dollars less. I have looked at the specs. Ps4 seems slightly better at the moment. I am keeping in mind past experiences along with what the future entails. The Xbox has a lot going for it though. The cloud and exclusives just to name the obvious ones. :)

Except people aren't liking sony because its cool to, its cheaper, has better consumer policies and hardware.
You're right, not because it's cool to favor PS4 (I want one too, don't forget) but because it's cool NOT to even consider the X1 or investigate the features fully, with an open mind, or even at all. Just look on Youtube. People who make neutral comments such as "I don't know, maybe the X1 could be good. I want to get both." gets downvoted and hidden.

You think Microsoft might know what they're doing? WHAT A LOSER LOL

JaredL

You're right, not because it's cool to favor PS4 (I want one too, don't forget) but because it's cool NOT to even consider the X1 or investigate the features fully, with an open mind, or even at all. Just look on Youtube. People who make neutral comments such as "I don't know, maybe the X1 could be good. I want to get both." gets downvoted and hidden.

You think Microsoft might know what they're doing? WHAT A LOSER LOL

The reason sony looks good, is because they look better in comparison to microsoft who are doing anti consumer things.

Honestly, if you're a big sports fan who wants to skype people while playing games... it might be for you, but every other gaming feature seems to be in sonys favour.

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
The reason sony looks good, is because they look better in comparison to microsoft who are doing anti consumer things.

Honestly, if you're a big sports fan who wants to skype people while playing games... it might be for you, but every other gaming feature seems to be in sonys favour.
What are they doing that is anti-consumer by the way? I hear that thrown around a lot. I don't really know what anyone is getting at. Is it the DRM or the used games thing? When I think anti-consumer I think of it in WAY more extreme ways than little Billy cant resell his disc.

JaredL

What are they doing that is anti-consumer by the way? I hear that thrown around a lot. I don't really know what anyone is getting at. Is it the DRM or the used games thing? When I think anti-consumer I think of it in WAY more extreme ways than little Billy cant resell his disc.

You no longer own your games.
Always online connection.

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
You no longer own your games.
Always online connection.
What do you mean by that? I mean I am under the impression that you do own the game once you purchase it. The always online connection is required for online games anyways. That isn't a significant change. I mean checking in once every 24 hours seems pretty easy for offline games. Currently my console logs in online once I turn it on anyways. A condition for having the cloud. I am fine with it.

I am the consumer they are marketing to. It isn't anti-consumer. If you don't have a good online connection the system isn't for you. I don't go around claiming that Lamborghinis are anti-consumer because I cant afford one. I don't go around claiming rubix cubes are anti-consumer because I don't know how to use it. I don't call the internet anti-consumer because I have to be online to use it.

JaredL

What do you mean by that? I mean I am under the impression that you do own the game once you purchase it. The always online connection is required for online games anyways. That isn't a significant change. I mean checking in once every 24 hours seems pretty easy for offline games. Currently my console logs in online once I turn it on anyways. A condition for having the cloud. I am fine with it.

I am the consumer they are marketing to. It isn't anti-consumer. If you don't have a good online connection the system isn't for you. I don't go around claiming that Lamborghinis are anti-consumer because I cant afford one. I don't go around claiming rubix cubes are anti-consumer because I don't know how to use it. I don't call the internet anti-consumer because I have to be online to use it.

You are sold a licence to a game. The terms to that licence can change at any time.

Think of it like renting a game.