What's new

Microsoft Purchases Activision-Blizzard

They’re aggressively mediocre compared to previous Halo games. I like the infinite campaign and game mechanics a TON, but there’s a reason the player counts took a dive, and why Halo 3 was played for years. Did you see the video of that 343 dev reacting to the terrible shot registration on the battle rifle in halo 3 MCC and just laughing about it, and still not fixing it.

The coalition is a good developer, I agree. I hope microsoft shuts down 343 and has id software make the next halo game, they’ve had way too many chances.
They're really not, but your opinion is your opinion.

They're Campaign's at least (as I don't play versus modes much) are absolutely excellent. As we've discussed before in other threads, people dump on them hard, yet give Bungie's games a pass for the same issues. Your own response to this for Halo 2, for example, was that you were too young to remember/understand that at the time so it doesn't matter; a statement that clearly shows your bias. That bias isn't yours alone, but is held by much of the modern Halo community, and shows the age/experience disparity.

Bungie's games had a ton of issues and problems:

• Unfinished Campaigns
  • Inconsistent story telling (including heavy, unnecessary retcons)
  • Recycled level design
  • Poor character development
  • Inconsistent frame pacing and performance
  • Imbalanced competative design
I could go on, but these are all things people now turn a blind eye to with Bungie yet slam 343 Industries with constantly. I'm not saying 343 Industries is golden, they're very clearly not and there's significant room for improvement, but they're not the dumpster fire that everyone makes them out to be.

Halo 3's Campaign is one of the most problematic, uninspired, and boring Halo Campaign's ever released (though like all Halo Campaign's, it's still good). Halo 3's multiplayer is widely considered one of the franchise's best, I even played it a good bit as it was that good, and as I mentioned I don't normally play versus (I played Halo: Reach's as well). Bungie themselves was unable to replicate that multiplayer success with Halo: Reach, who's competitive Multiplayer loadouts and Armour Abilities were so heavily criticized, when 343 Industries took over, they adjusted and "fixed" things to players expectations. They also reworked the weapon bloom system as people hated that.

While anything is possible, I expect 343 Industries will be overhauled (they're management has already departed and changed up mostly) and id Software will continue making id titles.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
They're really not, but your opinion is your opinion.

They're Campaign's at least (as I don't play versus modes much) are absolutely excellent. As we've discussed before in other threads, people dump on them hard, yet give Bungie's games a pass for the same issues. Your own response to this for Halo 2, for example, was that you were too young to remember/understand that at the time so it doesn't matter; a statement that clearly shows your bias. That bias isn't yours alone, but is held by much of the modern Halo community, and shows the age/experience disparity.

Bungie's games had a ton of issues and problems:

• Unfinished Campaigns
  • Inconsistent story telling (including heavy, unnecessary retcons)
  • Recycled level design
  • Poor character development
  • Inconsistent frame pacing and performance
  • Imbalanced competative design
I could go on, but these are all things people now turn a blind eye to with Bungie yet slam 343 Industries with constantly. I'm not saying 343 Industries is golden, they're very clearly not and there's significant room for improvement, but they're not the dumpster fire that everyone makes them out to be.

Halo 3's Campaign is one of the most problematic, uninspired, and boring Halo Campaign's ever released (though like all Halo Campaign's, it's still good). Halo 3's multiplayer is widely considered one of the franchise's best, I even played it a good bit as it was that good, and as I mentioned I don't normally play versus (I played Halo: Reach's as well). Bungie themselves was unable to replicate that multiplayer success with Halo: Reach, who's competitive Multiplayer loadouts and Armour Abilities were so heavily criticized, when 343 Industries took over, they adjusted and "fixed" things to players expectations. They also reworked the weapon bloom system as people hated that.

While anything is possible, I expect 343 Industries will be overhauled (they're management has already departed and changed up mostly) and id Software will continue making id titles.
I agree 343 will probably be overhauled, but if the games are as good as bungie’s games, why did they all die right after launch?
Halo 3’s campaign kicks ass, it has several sections that can be tackled in a multitude of ways, every level is distinct, the sandbox is amazing. Only issues with halo 3 is a weaker story than 2, could have been 1 level or so longer, and the Arbiter getting sidelined. Halo 4 is turning 11 this year, I don’t buy that nostalgia is the only reason the Bungie games are looked upon more fondly. The Halo community has a ton of copium and they’re dying to love a game from 343, they are always extremely hyped for each one, enthusiastic at launch, but miserable when they see the game for what it is or in infinites case, a great game that isn’t supported.

... why did they all die right after launch?
They didn't, don't know where you're getting that from. Halo 4 did very well and people played it, both competitively and cooperatively, for a while. Same with Halo Infinite. I know people who are actively still playing it competitively. I just fired up Campaign today with my father, we're doing another Co-Op run (our second). This'll be my 6th time playing the Campaign overall.

I didn't play Halo 5: Guardians at launch, I picked it up about 5 years after it launched, and people were still playing it at the time, and on the official forums I still saw people playing it.

Halo 3’s campaign kicks ass,
If you say so...

Only issues with halo 3 is a weaker story than 2, could have been 1 level or so longer, and the Arbiter getting sidelined.
  • And Miranda and Truth being completely different characters.
  • And having half a game that was supposed to be the end of Halo 2, but wasn't because Bungie fowled up development so bad.
  • And having graphics that were considered "last gen" for it's time.
  • And having no major gameplay improvements over Halo 2 (Equipment was disappointing, Scarab battles were buggy, etc).
  • And being unable to maintain it's 30 FPS target.
  • And having bad frame pacing, making it feel less smooth even when it was on FPS target.
I don’t buy that nostalgia is the only reason the Bungie games are looked upon more fondly.
It's not the only reason, but it is a big reason.

... and they’re dying to love a game from 343, they are always extremely hyped for each one, enthusiastic at launch, but miserable when they see the game for what it is or in infinites case, a great game that isn’t supported.
And they never will because they won't let themselves. Everyone here wants to love what NetherRealm Studios puts out, but every game most people just shit on it and consider it absolute garbage while looking back on past titles with their rose coloured glasses. It's not a Halo thing, it's not a Mortal Kombat thing, it's a modern gamer thing. And it's such a shame. So much fun the modern generation is not letting yourselves have.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
They didn't, don't know where you're getting that from. Halo 4 did very well and people played it, both competitively and cooperatively, for a while. Same with Halo Infinite. I know people who are actively still playing it competitively. I just fired up Campaign today with my father, we're doing another Co-Op run (our second). This'll be my 6th time playing the Campaign overall.

I didn't play Halo 5: Guardians at launch, I picked it up about 5 years after it launched, and people were still playing it at the time, and on the official forums I still saw people playing it.

If you say so...

• And Miranda and Truth being completely different characters.
  • And having half a game that was supposed to be the end of Halo 2, but wasn't because Bungie fowled up development so bad.
  • And having graphics that were considered "last gen" for it's time.
  • And having no major gameplay improvements over Halo 2 (Equipment was disappointing, Scarab battles were buggy, etc).
  • And being unable to maintain it's 30 FPS target.
  • And having bad frame pacing, making it feel less smooth even when it was on FPS target.

It's not the only reason, but it is a big reason.

And they never will because they won't let themselves. Everyone here wants to love what NetherRealm Studios puts out, but every game most people just shit on it and consider it absolute garbage while looking back on past titles with their rose coloured glasses. It's not a Halo thing, it's not a Mortal Kombat thing, it's a modern gamer thing. And it's such a shame. So much fun the modern generation is not letting yourselves have.
Story was a big downgrade for Halo 3 and maybe I'm showing my age since I was 8 in 2007 when it launched so II don't remember things like the frame rate since and it runs great on MCC now. I had no issues with the scarab encounters, I loved equipment and a lot of other people did too so I don't see that as an objective knock against the game. I wish Bungie themselves would have expanded or improved on the scarabs for Reach and am surprised 343 hasn't with more powerful hardware. The graphics are bad in terms of fidelity and some of those human faces just look awful, but the art style is timeless and the sky boxes are beautiful. I'd much rather play a game like Halo 3 and find it much more pleasing to look at than some modern games with insane graphical fidelity but ugly, generic art styles like several of these playstation exclusives. Halo CE and Resident Evil 4 are some of my favorite games that I replay often so graphics don't bother me, but I can respect it as a legitimate knock against the game.

As for the player count though... here is the Halo Infinite steam charts. https://steamcharts.com/app/1240440
Infinite has maybe the best combat in the entire series, I'm not biased against 343, they did a great job building the core game of Infinite. But nobody is playing it because it has no content. They took years to come up with a game that is still lacking and I and many others are tired of waiting. Look how big the peak player base was and how they wasted it. Reach was incredibly divisive to the Halo community (I love the campaign but I hate armor abilities), but it was such a content rich game from day 1 that it kept a lot of people coming back. I know you don't play multiplayer and that's fine, but it is likely part of the reason you're more forgiving to these games, since their single players are good. 5 has great mechanics, 4 has a good albeit melodramatic story, and Infinite is one of my favorite campaigns with poor location variety being my only big complaint. I love Halo but I'm done hoping that 343 will put Halo on top again, and I'm content with doing my Halo 1, 2, 3, Reach, and Infinite play through once a year.

Also on a side note, it's awesome you get to play with your dad. It's definitely a blessing to share a hobby with your father. He doesn't like gaming but we do other stuff together and my dad's still my best friend, glad you guys are enjoying Halo. I guilt tripped my wife to play through all the halo games that have split screen co op campaigns with me, so there's that. Not just a Halo problem but I wish split screen co op was still better supported now, since I probably never would have got into gaming if it weren't for split screen halo 2 / 3 and COD WAW with older cousins.

... so II don't remember things like the frame rate since and it runs great on MCC now.
Yeah, the MCC as a whole is just great. I know it took some work and patching, but 343 Industries put together a compilation that's overall far better than the original Bungie releases.

As for the player count though... here is the Halo Infinite steam charts. https://steamcharts.com/app/1240440
One thing to keep in mind, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Steam data does not show the player data on console or PC - Microsoft Store, so it's not a complete picture or the full player-base.

I know you don't play multiplayer and that's fine, but it is likely part of the reason you're more forgiving to these games,
And that is a very valid comment. That's why I always specifcy I'm referring specifically to the Campaign's (as they also get dumped on constantly). It wouldn't be right for me to comment on multi since I don't play it. They could be great, good, or a dumpster fire for all I know. All I can say is I do know people are still playing it, but obvioulsy the sample size of my own Friend's List isn't the best data to go on.

Also on a side note, it's awesome you get to play with your dad.
Absolutely. He's a senior and I'm immunocompromised, so the MCC hitting PC right at the start of the pandemic was a godsend. It's how we spent time together when we couldn't see one another. We also play Firefight, and it blows my mind that he's better than some of my buddies in their 20's! He's no tourney player or anything, but still, impressive for his age.

We try to play through all the Campaign's (except for Halo 5 since it's not on PC) about once a year now.

I'm also glad you get to do some cool hobbies with your dad, even if it's not gaming.

I guilt tripped my wife to play through all the halo games that have split screen co op campaigns with me
Nice! My fiancee gets motion sick with the camera movements, so she can't play with me. She digs Mortal Kombat and also mains Kitana though, so we have that to enjoy... except she's too self conscious to let me watch her play :laughing:.

Wow. I saw an article on Globe and Mail yesterday about it. Apparently the primary reason the CMA is stopping this is because of concerns over the fledgling streaming market for games, of which Game Pass is technically a small part of.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Wow. I saw an article on Globe and Mail yesterday about it. Apparently the primary reason the CMA is stopping this is because of concerns over the fledgling streaming market for games, of which Game Pass is technically a small part of.
Apparently all Microsoft has to do is tell the CMA that they won't raise the price of Game Pass.

Apparently all Microsoft has to do is tell the CMA that they won't raise the price of Game Pass.
Neat. Digital Foundry was discussing the CMA's decision this week. They don't think it's squashed and that Microsoft will still be able to salvage the deal.

We'll see what happens.