What's new

Microsoft Purchases Activision-Blizzard

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★

I’ve noticed that there’s a lot of happiness coming from people who’re just glad that it’s Microsoft & not Tencent. Honestly, I don’t blame them especially when it comes to NFTs & privacy concerns. With Microsoft, Phil Spencer has been vocal about being against NFTs which is great.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
On Google News I just read that Bandai Namco are rumoured to be making a new Killer Instinct...

Also...
Here’s something that I just realized...

I believe Activision still has the James Bond license, Rare Ltd made 007 GoldenEye & soon both are owned by Microsoft also Rare an Xbox Studio released Banjo-Kazooie on Nintendo Switch after 24 years since it was released on the Nintendo 64 & their first appearance on an Nintendo console in coming up 22 years (Banjo-Tooie, 2000).

From what I have read, Microsoft needed Activision (James Bond License), Rare Ltd (Developer) & Nintendo (Publisher & owner of the game) to legally make 007 GoldenEye on Xbox. Could this be connected in a way?

Or am I think too much about it?

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
On Google News I just read that Bandai Namco are rumoured to be making a new Killer Instinct...

Also...
Here’s something that I just realized...

I believe Activision still has the James Bond license, Rare Ltd made 007 GoldenEye & soon both are owned by Microsoft also Rare an Xbox Studio released Banjo-Kazooie on Nintendo Switch after 24 years since it was released on the Nintendo 64 & their first appearance on an Nintendo console in coming up 22 years (Banjo-Tooie, 2000).

From what I have read, Microsoft needed Activision (James Bond License), Rare Ltd (Developer) & Nintendo (Publisher & owner of the game) to legally make 007 GoldenEye on Xbox. Could this be connected in a way?

Or am I think too much about it?
View attachment 18505
I don't know much about the Bond license, but I guess that would explain all the rumors about Golden Eye coming back.

KI being made by Namco would be interesting. Not sure how it would come out in the end, but having a Japanese company putting their stamp on an American made fighter would be cool. That being said, if they were to make KI I see them delivering a FULL gaming experience upon launch rather than the seasonal rollout that was KI 2013. While I LOVED the community around KI back then, and I LOVED the hype surrounding each season and character announcement, I would like to see KI release as a complete game with Ultras, Ultimates (for each character), and a legit story mode. A story that pick up after the comic!

I don't know much about the Bond license, but I guess that would explain all the rumors about Golden Eye coming back.

KI being made by Namco would be interesting. Not sure how it would come out in the end, but having a Japanese company putting their stamp on an American made fighter would be cool. That being said, if they were to make KI I see them delivering a FULL gaming experience upon launch rather than the seasonal rollout that was KI 2013. While I LOVED the community around KI back then, and I LOVED the hype surrounding each season and character announcement, I would like to see KI release as a complete game with Ultras, Ultimates (for each character), and a legit story mode. A story that pick up after the comic!
bandai namco is very reliable when it comes to quality games. but i understand this news as if theyd only assist another dev (like iron galaxy maybe)

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
bandai namco is very reliable when it comes to quality games. but i understand this news as if theyd only assist another dev (like iron galaxy maybe)
If MS goes the "assist" route with Namco, then we know this is another budget title like was done in 2013...which could be fine, but I'd like to see KI get some AAA treatment. Who knows if the KI brand could produce the right returns to support that type of investment, but I still want to see a KI given it's proper due. ESPECIALLY with all the new guest characters they could put in there.

While I'm not one for guest characters overall (I like my FGs to be more about the core characters), I realize that guests are what bring in the dollars, and allow for the game to hit a wider audience.

I've never been a fan of Japanese fighting games, personally. If a Japanese developer was brought on I'd personally be more cautious about it.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
I would have been surprised had it not.
For awhile now it looked like it wasn't unless Call of Duty was seperate from Activision-Blizzard as the CMA was firmly against it for awhile now then suddenly in the end:
"Having considered the additional evidence provided, we have now provisionally concluded that the merger will not result in a substantial lessening of competition in console gaming services because the cost to Microsoft of withholding Call of Duty from PlayStation would outweigh any gains from taking such action."
Now the CMA have to talk about Cloud Gaming & GamePass next month before Microsoft/Xbox finally get the okay. I think they have to talk to the FTC next before it finally happens.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/24/23654728/microsoft-activision-blizzard-deal-uk-cma-call-of-duty-playstation

According the Activision-Blizzard EVP, Jim Ryan of SIE is pissed & straight up told her, "I don't want a new Call of Duty deal. I just want to block your meager."

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Bureaucrats who have never played a video game in their lives tried to stop the merger because they thought they needed to protect the innovation of Call of Duty

For awhile now it looked like it wasn't unless Call of Duty was seperate from Activision-Blizzard as the CMA was firmly against it for awhile now then suddenly in the end:

Now the CMA have to talk about Cloud Gaming & GamePass next month before Microsoft/Xbox finally get the okay. I think they have to talk to the FTC next before it finally happens.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/24/23654728/microsoft-activision-blizzard-deal-uk-cma-call-of-duty-playstation

According the Activision-Blizzard EVP, Jim Ryan of SIE is pissed & straight up told her, "I don't want a new Call of Duty deal. I just want to block your meager."
All not surprising. Again, while the Xbox brand is still in "last place," it's a far cry from the rock bottom they were in earlier last generation. They took the time to broaden out, secure studios, and offer great services while Sony stuck with the "eggs in one basket" strategy. Sony's worried for the future and waning dominance and they should be.

The next decade will be very interesting, I think, and time will tell if Xbox grows and re-surges or not.

Bureaucrats who have never played a video game in their lives tried to stop the merger because they thought they needed to protect the innovation of Call of Duty
Sony has been protesting and pressuring against the merger for several months now. Digital Foundry was talking about it around the holidays, and the BS that both Sony's lawyers and Microsoft's lawyers were saying.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Folks need to remember, Call of Duty wasn't always the top of the FPS-chain & wasn't always the best FPS game during its lifetime. I still remember a time where Medal of Honor, Rainbow Six, Halo & Quake pretty much ruled the online FPS genre before Call of Duty. There's been plenty of multiplayer games to have iterations that surpassed Call of Duty or at least gave them a run for its money such as some Halo Reach, Brothers In Arms, Counter-Strike, Titanfall 2, Battlefield (pre-1), ARMA & Overwatch. When it comes to single-player campaigns, Call of Duty has been surpassed years ago.

There's a ton of potential indie games that could easily surpass Call of Duty with enough support that Sony could give them like Crossfire, Black Squad, Ground Branch, Insurgency, Squad, Ready or Not & Zero Hour. Also Sony pretty much self-sabotaged every in-house FPS they ever had: Killzone (Bad after Killzone 2 & Guerrilla Games only makes Horizon now), MAG (Closed Zipper Interactive) & Resistance (Abandoned by Insomniac Games & SIE).

The only reason CoD is the standard it's because it's braindead and easy to play for anyone whether casually or 'pro'.
Yup. A lot of casuals prefer Call of Duty over Halo, for example, because they get confused by the concept of energy shields in Halo and don't understand you have to knock out their shields before you can properly kill your target.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
I re-bought Titanfall 2 & got the Northstar server so I mostly play that now along with Paladins or an older singleplayer FPS like FEAR & RAGE sometimes Postal 2 if I need a FPS fix. Going to re-buy Rainbow Six Siege (& Extraction), Ghost Recon: Wildlands & a few other games for PC though.

Yup. A lot of casuals prefer Call of Duty over Halo, for example, because they get confused by the concept of energy shields in Halo and don't understand you have to knock out their shields before you can properly kill your target.
Then there’s Apex Legends who put too emphasis with shields which turned even me off & having different strengths of shields. Also the hit detection system is fucking ridiculous. I love the guns in Apex Legends though (because I love Titanfall).

Speaking of shooters and Microsoft franchises, I started playing through the modern Gears franchise recently and am having a great time. Played through Gears of War 4 and that was excellent, very nostalgic and it simply felt so good to play. The game was also a great showpiece title for the Xbox One X.

Just started up Gears 5 and the game is gorgeous so far. Playing on my Xbox One X first, then I'll do another playthrough on my Xbox Series X.

Also excited for Gears Tactics.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Hey Modern Warfare 2 is great at what it does. I think Apex and Fortnite aren’t any less degenerate than COD right now. I’ll always be a Halo guy but god damn 343 is incompetent. Hopefully Microsoft doesn’t interfere too much with good developers like id.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
My favorite FPS ever was Global Operations. Yes, it was a blatant Counter Strike ripoff, but it was MY blatant counter strike ripoff, damnit!

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
I'm happy that after decades of Microsoft being incompetent for decades they're finally getting their act together after missing out on about a dozen developers over the past couple decades. Mind you, there's been rumours for years since Phil Spencer took over Xbox that Crytek & IO Interactive have been in the talks to being acquired by Microsoft, that should be interesting if that were to ever come into fruition.

but god damn 343 is incompetent.
They're really not and they've done some very cool things under challenging circumstances. While there's obviously room for improvement, they're games are not dumpster fires. The problems the studio faced, a studio that seemed to have more contractors than full timers, seem more management/publisher related.

There are parallels with the challenges I see between 343 Industries and Xbox Studios and NetherRealm Studios and WB Games. People are so quick to anger today, and to believe sensationalism and slam the developers without actually knowing the roots of the issues.

Having said all that, I'm quickly coming to believe that The Coalition is the strongest of Xbox Studios game developers not from recent acquisitions, and that they're right up there with the likes of Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, and Insomniac.

Microsoft being incompetent for decades they're finally getting their act together after missing out on about a dozen developers over the past couple decades.
They weren't incompetent for decades. A decade ago today the Xbox 360 was still going strong and dominating over the PlayStation 3, but it was beginning to wain and we were coming up on the disastrous Xbox One reveal.

After that, and E3 2013, Xbox leadership thankfully resigned and Spencer was put into place to save the brand (after he convinced Microsoft's CEO that the brand was worth saving. He had to fight for that, apparently). Knowing they had already dug such a deep hole that it would take many, many years to even begin to properly recover and rebuild customer trust, they took the 8th generation to build up new services and business models to prepare for the now current generation and beyond.

And they've done an excellent job there, continuing to innovate through the last generation in ways Sony only caught up to this generation, and still possessing many services and features that Sony simply has no adequate answer for.

Xbox consoles sales are doing really well and while still lagging behind PlayStation 5, is a far cry from the poor performing Xbox One line. The brand as a whole is also continuing to grow into new markets and becoming more and more accessible.

People still carry a negative perception of Xbox though, it's a mentality ingrained into an entire generation of gamers now, and this generation will always shit on Xbox while giving PlayStation a pass because of that bias.

Interestingly I'm seeing more and more of the next generation of gamers, late childhood to early teens, choosing Xbox over PlayStation now. That, combined with the brand's significantly more diverse market strategy and recent studio acquisitions, we'll, I've already said my predictions elsewhere and we'll find out over time if I'm correct or not.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
They're really not and they've done some very cool things under challenging circumstances. While there's obviously room for improvement, they're games are not dumpster fires. The problems the studio faced, a studio that seemed to have more contractors than full timers, seem more management/publisher related.

There are parallels with the challenges I see between 343 Industries and Xbox Studios and NetherRealm Studios and WB Games. People are so quick to anger today, and to believe sensationalism and slam the developers without actually knowing the roots of the issues.

Having said all that, I'm quickly coming to believe that The Coalition is the strongest of Xbox Studios game developers not from recent acquisitions, and that they're right up there with the likes of Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, and Insomniac.
They’re aggressively mediocre compared to previous Halo games. I like the infinite campaign and game mechanics a TON, but there’s a reason the player counts took a dive, and why Halo 3 was played for years. Did you see the video of that 343 dev reacting to the terrible shot registration on the battle rifle in halo 3 MCC and just laughing about it, and still not fixing it.

The coalition is a good developer, I agree. I hope microsoft shuts down 343 and has id software make the next halo game, they’ve had way too many chances.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
The only reason CoD is the standard it's because it's braindead and easy to play for anyone whether casually or 'pro'. but Rainbow Six Siege and Apex Legends are way better FPS games in all aspects. They're just really hard games and people are lazy mfs.
I'm know really late to the party on this, but that is also EXACTLY why the FGC is so small. No one wants to learn match-ups, frame data, etc. No one wants to take their lumps. And when they inevitably lose, they have no teammates to pass blame to. That's simply too much for the average gamer to handle nowadays.

It's pretty sad when you think about it.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I'm know really late to the party on this, but that is also EXACTLY why the FGC is so small. No one wants to learn match-ups, frame data, etc. No one wants to take their lumps. And when they inevitably lose, they have no teammates to pass blame to. That's simply too much for the average gamer to handle nowadays.

It's pretty sad when you think about it.
Exactly lmao, people want to make 0 effort and feel like pros when playing games.