What's new

Microsoft Purchases Activision-Blizzard

Microsoft has announced they've just bought Activision-Blizzard, so Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Overwatch etc. are now first party Xbox titles:

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
So, are they going to do anything about Bobby Kotick or nah?
They have been really vocal about that actually:

Bobby Kotick will continue to serve as CEO of Activision Blizzard, and he and his team will maintain their focus on driving efforts to further strengthen the company’s culture and accelerate business growth. Once the deal closes, the Activision Blizzard business will report to Phil Spencer, CEO, Microsoft Gaming.
So he’ll stay in charge of Activision Blizzard until the deal closes which is predicted to be in May 2023.

Good day to be an Xbox owner?
And PC. Blizzard Entertainment's reputation hasn't been the greatest, lately, and I think this will help them overall.

Xbox has been killing it.
Massive difference from the start of the 8th gen and now.

So, are they going to do anything about Bobby Kotick or nah?
As @Revy pointed out, he's still in charge for a little over a year-ish. After that, he'll be in charge of the Activision-Blizzard division, but he'll be answerable to someone (Spencer). Spencer seems like an excellent guy/business exec who gets gamers and gaming communities, so I'm optimistic there.

Why do you get that impression?
There's no Killer Instinct pictured. However that pic shows of the developers and their core/big development title, and keep in mind Killer Instinct doesn't have a dedicated developer, sadly.

Lots of rumours that a sequel is in dev, but only rumours.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
There's no Killer Instinct pictured. However that pic shows of the developers and their core/big development title, and keep in mind Killer Instinct doesn't have a dedicated developer, sadly.

Lots of rumours that a sequel is in dev, but only rumours.
@Swindle

The original KI developer Rare Ltd. is busy making a Battletoads reboot & a new IP called Everwild. I would like to assume that they are assisting The initiative & Square Enix on Perfect Dark.

Double Helix the first Killer Instinct 2013 developer was bought by Amazon just after the game was released.

When Double Helix got replaced by Iron Galaxy, they were never owned by Xbox either (besides Divekick what else did they have?) after KI they have made one game called Extinction in 2018 but mostly they just create ports most notably Overwatch for the Nintendo Switch & Fortnite for Xbox One & PlayStation 4.

@Swindle

The original KI developer Rare Ltd. is busy making a Battletoads reboot & a new IP called Everwild. I would like to assume that they are assisting The initiative & Square Enix on Perfect Dark.

Double Helix the first Killer Instinct 2013 developer was bought by Amazon just after the game was released.

When Double Helix got replaced by Iron Galaxy, they were never owned by Xbox either (besides Divekick what else did they have?) after KI they have made one game called Extinction in 2018 but mostly they just create ports most notably Overwatch for the Nintendo Switch & Fortnite for Xbox One & PlayStation 4.
facts (publicly stated):

• Mirosoft wants a new KI and is searching for a dev
  • iron galaxy wants to make a new KI
  • iron galaxy has put out a job offer that says theyre working with a valuable partner on their triple A franchise

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
I just hope that after the deal is final that we get a really good exclusive cartoon racing game with all the properties they have like Conker, Banjo-Kazooie, Battletoads, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot & Minecraft. Similar to Diddy Kong Racing that Rare made for Nintendo back in 1996 (I think) & the multiple Crash Racing games.

facts (publicly stated):

• Mirosoft wants a new KI and is searching for a dev
  • iron galaxy wants to make a new KI
  • iron galaxy has put out a job offer that says theyre working with a valuable partner on their triple A franchise
I’m surprised that Microsoft didn’t just buy them then Xbox would have an exclusive fighting game released on quintennial basis & a developer that can port or remaster games the Xbox Series.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I'm surprised that Microsoft didn’t just buy them then Xbox would have an exclusive fighting game released on quintennial basis & a developer that can port or remaster games the Xbox Series.
Back when KI was being developed, I don't think MS was in aquisition mode. I think they would do it now if they could, but 1) IG isn't interested in KI at the moment, and 2) IG isn't for sale anyway as far as I've heard.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Well with Bethesda they completed their contracts with PlayStation like Deathloop & Ghostwire: Tokyo but Elder Scrolls 6 is confirmed to be exclusive to Xbox even when Skyrim is tied as the 19th best selling game of all time (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019 the best selling Call of Duty is one of games tied with it).