What's new

Video/Tutorial - Dragon Breath Meterless Corner Vortex, +30 Fart Set-Ups, Psuedo Block Vortexes, Guaranteed Unblockables, ETC. ETC.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Instead of all this lab theory I'd actually like to see results. King already tried Bo Rai Cho and decided it wasn't worth it, go right ahead and prove him and the rest of the community wrong if you like. I actually want you to, I want to see what this character in general is capable of in a tournament setting. Back up the talk.

Because the options from this "vortex" have 23 and 26 frames of startup...

Have you seen his run speed though? It's not great. He does have F3 cancels however but you can get hit out of those before the cancel.

These overexaggerations by people who don't even play the character are the reason communities get called downplayers. Noone has said that they want him to have the fastest walkspeeds nor a teleport, come on now.
He doesn't have to have godlike mobility to get in. If someone is content to chuck high projectiles at him, all they're doing is cornering themselves.

Ducking and patiently working your way in isn't out of this world and Bo can do it just like anyone else.

If he had all these mids and mobility on top of his strong setplay and damage he would be ridiculous.

A character can have weaknesses and still function well.

Cosmos

Noob
He doesn't have to have godlike mobility to get in. If someone is content to chuck high projectiles at him, all they're doing is cornering themselves.

Ducking and patiently working your way in isn't out of this world and Bo can do it just like anyone else.

If he had all these mids and mobility on top of his strong setplay and damage he would be ridiculous.

No they are also building meter and due to his slow walkspeed they can build a fair amount of it as he neutral crouches his way in. Not to mention no good player is going to corner themselves, once they have built a lot of meter and pushed themselves back they can very easily run in and throw to swap sides or start applying pressure.

Everybody can walk their way in sure but it's how effectively some characters can do it that is the issue. Don't get me wrong I don't think he struggles that badly against zoning outside of a few matchups. It's just when Bo gets in he doesn't have normals like other characters do to play footsies due to them all being high's. Unless he is directly on top of you the first hit of f1 will whiff so will get low profiled along with all of his other normals.

Personally I want him to have one 13f mid that is literally it and I don't think that is asking for too much at all when you take into consideration his frame data and gaps.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
No they are also building meter and due to his slow walkspeed they can build a fair amount of it as he neutral crouches his way in. Not to mention no good player is going to corner themselves, once they have built a lot of meter and pushed themselves back they can very easily run in and throw to swap sides or start applying pressure.

Everybody can walk their way in but how effectively some characters can do it is the issue. When Bo gets in he doesn't have normals like other characters do to play footsies due to them all being high's. Unless he is directly on top of you the first hit of f1 will whiff so will get low profiled along with all of his other normals.

Personally I want him to have one 13f mid that is literally it and I don't think that is asking for too much at all when you take into consideration his frame data and gaps.
If they run in to apply pressure, then they're running into Bo's threat range. You can start playing footsies then or check their run with a poke.

Look, a character can't have everything. That's how you end up with problem characters. If you have great mobility and big damage, you shouldn't also have fast mids and strong setplay.

That is how balance works. Nerfing weaknesses is how you get characters propelled to the point where they're over the top.

No one is going to mash downpokes all round and if they do in an attempt to low profile you, start walking back and making their pokes whiff.

You can't have strong mix ups, 50/50s, fast mids and a fast run. You can't have everything.

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
Every character looks good when beating down a dummy with a bit of corner tech. His problem is midscreen. How can I apply pressure with minus frames and gaps? How can I open an opponent up with easily telegraphed 20+ frame mix ups? How can I get near an opponent without eating 20 projectiles on the way in? How can I whiff punish with 12+ frame mids? How can I get the to the corner to apply his corner game?

How comes Forever King, amongst others, have specifically said BRC does nothing but harm their tournament chances. You pick BRC and you instantly handicap yourself.

Can anyone give me one winning match up he has? With reasons? Because the way I see it, he doesn't have any.

You're all looking at his corner game going "ooooo I told you Bo was really good" when the corner was never the problem.

To quote Tom Brady "people must be afraid of his 20 frame mids"

Know what you're talking about before trying to call us downplayers.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
This character will never win anything in the long sad history of his time in this game.
You're forgetting what waits at the top of the tier list if you think this is op or even viable. ROFL.

This is some funny stuff I bet half the people arguing that bo is good have never played the character in a real match try getting in on mileena with bo its not as easy as just neutral ducking high projectiles and walking your way in with bos slow ass normals that mu is stupid hard

If they run in to apply pressure, then they're running into Bo's threat range. You can start playing footsies then or check their run with a poke.

Look, a character can't have everything. That's how you end up with problem characters. If you have great mobility and big damage, you shouldn't also have fast mids and strong setplay.

That is how balance works. Nerfing weaknesses is how you get characters propelled to the point where they're over the top.

No one is going to mash downpokes all round and if they do in an attempt to low profile you, start walking back and making their pokes whiff.

You can't have strong mix ups, 50/50s, fast mids and a fast run. You can't have everything.
lol who's gonna run into his 20 frame mid while running in you can see that coming from a mile away and we aren't asking for Boraicho 2 have crazy walk speed fast normals with good range I just want people 2 see the character for what he really is and he's not nearly as good as reo says have you ever even played the character in a actual match instead of in practice all his tech sounds really good on paper but try applying it in a match much harder then you think most of his strings are high can be punished on block have gaps have horrible start up I woudk gladly give up some of this so called broke corner game for better buttons 2 press

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
@ImAura Ha, your character's turn

Edit: On an actual note, I think Bartitsu is where it's at. While all this is great, the true damage comes from the mixups. Which are slow and even someone with an average reaction time can learn the tells and begin to block consistently with a little lab time. But then just start grabbing! I think anyone from a defensive standpoint would rather take a 12-14% grab (fire unblockable) than a 25-32% meter less combo into the same situation. While in bartitsu the player can hit much harder into big safe chip. Just an outside opinion from playing against BRC.
Big safe chip? I hope you're not talking about DB1 since it's -8 :p

I never said he did have to have godlike mobility to get in, but when he has worse mobility than most of, if not all of, the rest of the cast it's extremely difficult to keep someone where you want them with this character. If someone is content to throw projectiles at him they will be building meter which is a problem because if Bo does somehow manage to catch them then they don't have to deal with these amazing 23+ frame mixups he has. Have you ever played Bartitsu vs Smoke for example? It's pretty dire.

What do you mean "all these mids"? Who has asked for more than one? And define he. Bo Rai Cho overall? A specific variation? I mainly play Bartitsu. Bartitsu's fastest mid is 14 frames and it only reaches about D1/D3 distance. His fastest starter is 11 frames (I don't count standing 4 because who the hell is going to start with that? Lol). ELEVEN frames. AND it becomes a high in Bartitsu. Even Goro has always had his B1. If Bartitsu had a decent mid he'd be normal, not ridiculous. I mean seriously, is there anyone else in the cast without a starter faster than 10 frames? D'Vorah has her 11 frame F1 as a mid, why can't we? Hers leads to more too. It doesn't even have to start combos, just as long as we've got something relatively fast to check people with. People really like to overreact to the strong points before they've discovered a character's weaknesses. Bo's turning into the new Jacqui.

As for mobility I don't think a slight walkspeed/dash increase would be the worst thing in the world. You're doing what the others are doing by overexaggerating what the people who actually spend time on the character are saying. Noone is asking for "great" mobility necessarily, just not a combination of probably the slowest walkspeed in the game and two of the worst/most useless dashes. Why is this such a horrifying request? Is it because the community hasn't labbed the variation yet but this video has proven enough for them to warrant complaints as per usual? Is it because they're afraid of getting caught with 23+ frame mixups? I don't understand this mentality and I think people should just take time to lab everything he has and play out the matchups first instead of just focussing on this one thing he can do if he gets you to the corner and manages to open you up. Give it time before people who don't play him come to hasty conclusions.

You're right, they can still function, but (Bartitsu at least) has more weaknesses than pros compared to the rest of the cast. He's unsafe on almost everything, lacks good mids (which is extremely important in this game), lacks a fast punisher, is slow in terms of both movement and normals and has mostly fuzziable mixups. All he has going for him is range and damage, both of which he can't take advantage of when everyone else can just walk away from him and build meter which they can then use to get out of the corner if they somehow get outplayed in neutral to the point they get pushed there. It says a lot when his best tool in neutral is monkey flips.

Generalbit

The blade of osh-tekk is stale.
Lemme correct that, @Youphemism , not full combo punishable chip. But at the point when your turn is over you have already done 50+%. Yes there are some characters with 6-8 frame moves that can punish for combo but most of the time you will be punished by a slide or poke if any punish occurs at all.

And sorry if I seem ignorant. I don't play BRC, just against them

Cosmos

Noob

What threat range? How is he playing footsies when his fastest ranged normal is a 13f high? His poke (s1) is 11f so he can't check runs too well and a run into a low poke beats a lot of his options outside of d1 which would have to be done pre-emptively otherwise it gets blocked and he's minus.

I haven't asked for everything, just a 13f mid so he can actually play footsies so he holds some presence, as at the moment all he has is strong setplay in the corner and good damage.

Yes people will abuse low pokes all game if they know it beats most of his options look at pre-patch Jason-Johnny. You can't whiff punish a low poke with a high so that leaves a no range f1 which can't punish and a 24f b2 which means they have time to whiff a poke and either block or poke you out of b2.

I'm literally asking for one mid as he needs it.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
He was the only character with set play designed that way which made it hype as fuck and fun to watch. Bo rai cho set play is soft as fuck once you learn the animations and how to block.
This. There is almost no reason to block high. All the overheads are completely telegraphed and easy to block. The only X-Factor is when BRC decides to toss in a Monkey Flip. A move that's all risk, and dick for reward.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Had a conversation about this character yesterday.

He seems to be designed as a High Risk High Reward character.

He has mixups on top of mixups, and yes they mostly rely on the monkey flip. Problem is, the monkey flip does about 17% or something (forgive me if I don't have the exact number), and provides no combo. So, you start to throw out monkey flips, because no one wants to get hit by the low into 40+ percent.

Problem is, when the opponent guesses right, you eat 30+ percent. When you guess right, they only eat 17%.
Thats basically a 1:2 ratio in favour of the opponent.

This of course is all contingent on actually being able to get in and utilize the mixups in the first place. He looks so good in the training lab. Hell, I was going to main him in the lab lol, but then I started taking him into sparring matches, and was left scratching my head. If ex monkey flip popped up for a combo, even THEN i would feel he was a complete character. Then his high risk/high reward style comes into effect where the ratio for you and the opponent would be evenly scaled.

Those of you who think this character can actually play decent footsies really need to try and use him in a few matches. Play against a good kitanna or smoke and tell me how it goes.

I think I eventually broke him down into this set of pros and cons:

Pros: Excellent corner carry
Rediculous Damage
Good Mixups

Cons: Always Negative
Piss Poor Mids
Life on the Line at all times.
No stagger pressure.
Piss Poor neutral.

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
If they buff his mobility and make it easier for him to get in, then some of his mix-ups and setplay needs to be toned down a notch.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too.
I'd prefer Bo to have better buttons / mids and reliable punishers + better mobility rather than 70% unblockable resets or vortex (although it's kinda slow and reactable)...

so i'm cool if they make his neutral better and tone down his corner game

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Had a conversation about this character yesterday.

He seems to be designed as a High Risk High Reward character.

He has mixups on top of mixups, and yes they mostly rely on the monkey flip. Problem is, the monkey flip does about 17% or something (forgive me if I don't have the exact number), and provides no combo. So, you start to throw out monkey flips, because no one wants to get hit by the low into 40+ percent.

Problem is, when the opponent guesses right, you eat 30+ percent. When you guess right, they only eat 17%.
Thats basically a 1:2 ratio in favour of the opponent.

This of course is all contingent on actually being able to get in and utilize the mixups in the first place. He looks so good in the training lab. Hell, I was going to main him in the lab lol, but then I started taking him into sparring matches, and was left scratching my head. If ex monkey flip popped up for a combo, even THEN i would feel he was a complete character. Then his high risk/high reward style comes into effect where the ratio for you and the opponent would be evenly scaled.

Those of you who think this character can actually play decent footsies really need to try and use him in a few matches. Play against a good kitanna or smoke and tell me how it goes.

I think I eventually broke him down into this set of pros and cons:

Pros: Excellent corner carry
Rediculous Damage
Good Mixups

Cons: Always Negative
Piss Poor Mids
Life on the Line at all times.
No stagger pressure.
Piss Poor neutral.
For it to be fair, Money flip would probably need to be -18 or something instead of -12. Even then, his mix up game would be god like if it popped up. Not sure that would actually be fair at all. Haha.

One thing people forget is that after Monkey Flip hits you can OTG with EX Sumo Stomp making the whole thing something like 26% damage. Problem there is BRC has trouble building meter. It's always a trade off with this character, and it doesnt ever seem to be in his favor.