What's new

Message to online players without Asus experience

If you're an online player looking to debut at a tournament but have no experience on an asus monitor, get some before you go if you want to do well! Or at least get there early for casuals. There is a huge difference between a regular tv, and an asus monitor. I just recently experienced an asus monitor, and was struggling to even cancel strings in to military stance, which is a fairly easy thing to do. So just a heads up to anyone whos never played on an asus; get experience. Its definitely NOT something you can get used to in five minutes.
I wish I could have played you earlier in the tournament while you were still adjusting to the Asus, then maybe I wouldn't have gotten bodied .__.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
From my experience the Ben-q monitors were just the tiniest bit slower than ASUS but still perfectly acceptable for tourney play. We had to set the ps3's for 1080p though.

The thing about ASUS that everyone needs to realize is that sometimes they DO become laggy and you need to power cycle them.

Also, don't be fooled if your tv has a "game mode" setting; that is normally NOT what you want it on.

I have a 50" Vizio that is nearly lag less. Just ask CD jr

It's set to standard with all processing of the picture turned off and a very high quality hdmi cable.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
From my experience the Ben-q monitors were just the tiniest bit slower than ASUS still perfectly acceptable for tourney play. We had to set the ps3's for 1080p though.

The thing about ASUS that everyone needs to realize is that sometimes they DO become laggy and you need to power cycle them.
Yeah, once they switched the Ben-Qs over to 1080p, it felt fine.

MaceWind

Crazy 88
Which brand or kind of TV would you reccomend to play MK on? And why? Thanks in advance.
Definitely the Asus monitors.

1) They are the FGC standard monitor and you will run into them at most local, regional and major tournaments.
2) They are pretty cheap at around $140-$165 depending on where you buy them.
3) They are gorgeous and also have built in speakers with an audio output jack to hook up headphones to.
4) 2ms lag response time.

So in a nutshell lets compare this to tennis. There are 4 types of courts: grass, clay, hard and carpet. Each surface has its own characteristic and affects game-play, speed and play style. The pro's will practice on the type of court they'll encounter at upcoming tournaments. Similarly, you will encounter tournament play on Asus monitors so it would be wise to practice on them.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
From my experience the Ben-q monitors were just the tiniest bit slower than ASUS still perfectly acceptable for tourney play. We had to set the ps3's for 1080p though.

Yeah, once they switched the Ben-Qs over to 1080p, it felt fine.

Isnt it standard to run mk9 at 720i game mode?

You sure they did 1080 to fix it or 720?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
When i won newegg.com online tourney i won a 3d LG tv i havent tried it out yet but interested to see what the MS is on it

3d mk sounds neat

imagine everyone at mlg w 3d glasses

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Online to offline is the same as playing a match online and then going to training mode is it not? Seeing as how you aren't on the internet once you're in single player modes, I would think so. I barely notice any difference there. I'm more concerned about this whole tv thing. lol
Yes and no. Its one thing doing your combos offline but I personally find after you're used to punished things like mileenas ex tele kick online after 1000 times it can be hard to adjust in the space of a few games and often do things too early. It takes me a good few hours to fully adjust.

Do you guys think that playing on an SD TV is good warm up before going on an Asus?

I remember the first time i went to EGP, i faced krazyie in casuals and I started doing f2+1 from like a mile away, i couldn't even jip krayzies cyrax, everything was off.

But from then on I stopped using the plasma tv and went back to my old sd tv.
Yes. I have played on both, I can't say which is faster really... if I were to guess though, I'd say standard is at least as fast as Asus. I have a 27 inch standard and 32 inch LG. My LG doesn't lag that much on 1080p, but there is still a massive difference compared to my standard def television. I will say standard def offline practice to asus offline matches is an easy transition.

LEGEND

YES!
Yea, I don't know if it was against you, but I dropped two njp combos on stream, and looked like a total doofus. Timing was off by a mile. I started feeling really good maybe 1hr in to casuals with Gnarly. Half of it was due to better timing, half was due to being eliminated and having no pressure to perform. I think I've finally come to the conclusion that I need to start hitting up EGP Wednesdays at Frank and Sons, missing out on a lot of mu exp. Nice Shang, help me with that mu bro!
that MU is weird, basically whoever is at + frames can zone while the - player has to either try and get in or hope they guess right with a random projectile to get back to+

overall your zoning is better, my rushdown is better and our footsies are even. 5-5 imo

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
For whatever reason I can adjust to a different TV way too easily... >_>

So this does not apply to me. :p
This is how I feel as well. It is much more important for online players to learn how to play offline before worrying about input lag.

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
I wish I could have played you earlier in the tournament while you were still adjusting to the Asus, then maybe I wouldn't have gotten bodied .__.
Are you discrediting my win against him sir? Lol

Actually playing this UK player who's pretty good with Sonya helped me out a lot. Some old guy.

aj1701

Noob
I don't see how it looks horrible really......it looks the same.

It's probably because I'm used to it by now.
You must be. Playing MK in SD vs 1080p is night and day. And if you don't have wide screen, it looks like a big portion of the picture is cut off.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Definitely the Asus monitors.

1) They are the FGC standard monitor and you will run into them at most local, regional and major tournaments.
2) They are pretty cheap at around $140-$165 depending on where you buy them.
3) They are gorgeous and also have built in speakers with an audio output jack to hook up headphones to.
4) 2ms lag response time.

So in a nutshell lets compare this to tennis. There are 4 types of courts: grass, clay, hard and carpet. Each surface has its own characteristic and affects game-play, speed and play style. The pro's will practice on the type of court they'll encounter at upcoming tournaments. Similarly, you will encounter tournament play on Asus monitors so it would be wise to practice on them.
I have ''Samsung'' LCD two years old model................is it good enought or could be better? I want the perffct one:less lag as possible........i am from Europe and we may have diffrend brands...

MaceWind

Crazy 88
I have ''Samsung'' LCD two years old model................is it good enought or could be better? I want the perffct one:less lag as possible........i am from Europe and we may have diffrend brands...
There are more reputable experts on video quality than me on this site. Check out Dark_Rob for his opinions on monitors to set yourself straight.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I feel like I fuck up online because I'm trying to go as fast as I would in regular time/on a lag-free battlefield.

I wonder what it's like to play MK on a toaster.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
I'm pretty sure that using a VGA connection is totally lagless. There are some issues with cheap 3rd party cables lagging but the official Microsoft ones are fine. Not even sure if its an option on ps3 though.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Edgar Inc I've heard that the transition from your standard home TV to the Asus isn't so bad. However I've heard that the transition from your standard TV to the lagless CRT is pretty difficult; which I can attest to. I drop a lot of shit on a lagless CRT.

Tim Static Correct me if I'm wrong but the CRTs are indeed 100% lagless with AV cables while the Asus HDMI is 2ms. 2ms is still technically a bit of lag.

I already use a LG monitor, model W2353V which is said to have zero lag. Are the Asus monitors better?? Is the difference so big?

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
shit, I have a UN55D Samsung 55".....definately noticed the difference when going to casuals last week....I was dropping combos all over the damn place...I wonder if I can change the settings on my tv to mediate the lag a bit...

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
If you're an online player looking to debut at a tournament but have no experience on an asus monitor, get some before you go if you want to do well! Or at least get there early for casuals. There is a huge difference between a regular tv, and an asus monitor. I just recently experienced an asus monitor, and was struggling to even cancel strings in to military stance, which is a fairly easy thing to do. So just a heads up to anyone whos never played on an asus; get experience. Its definitely NOT something you can get used to in five minutes.
OMG don't even talk to me about this. The Friday at MLG was a freaking nightmare when I started playing on a low latency computer monitor. Even pool play during Saturday was tough because I would get adjusted, get comfortable, and then kind of lose it again if I wasn't constantly playing. I bought a monitor literally as soon as I got home that weekend.