What's new

Match-up Discussion Martian Manhunter Match Up Discussion

Zero-Shift

B-List Hero
so ive been getting a looot more mu experience against a looot of good players and i still havnt found a bad mu for him.. not bladam, superman, aquaman, killerfrost, batman, or wonderwoman.
this character is scary good.. imo easily top 7 probably top 5
Care to share some wisdom against the big 5 for those of us struggling?

Zero-Shift

B-List Hero
I really wish people would start giving more specifics about match-ups. MMH has so many tools to realistically compete with everybody but nobody seems to be giving many examples of use or how to actually fight these match-ups. I'm sure it'll help out everybody better than trial and error.

Espio

Kokomo
I really wish people would start giving more specifics about match-ups. MMH has so many tools to realistically compete with everybody but nobody seems to be giving many examples of use or how to actually fight these match-ups. I'm sure it'll help out everybody better than trial and error.

I agree, I want to eventually start updating the OP once we get a general consensus going on him.

I posted some of my impressions on Hawkgirl and Doomsday here so far. I have some thoughts on other match ups, but I feel like I'm still trying to get a handle on him and I don't understand him on that level to really breakdown his other match ups particularly well. I was able to get those match ups quicker because of maining Hawkgirl and tons of Doomsday experience.

I also personally haven't fought like half the cast with him yet lol. I'm gonna start doing breakdowns and collaborating with everyone as I get him down.

As you said, he has so many tools, sometimes it's hard to think of what's most applicable for each match up, it seems like every match is very different.

Zero-Shift

B-List Hero
I agree, I want to eventually start updating the OP once we get a general consensus going on him.

I posted some of my impressions on Hawkgirl and Doomsday here so far. I have some thoughts on other match ups, but I feel like I'm still trying to get a handle on him and I don't understand him on that level to really breakdown his other match ups particularly well. I was able to get those match ups quicker because of maining Hawkgirl and tons of Doomsday experience.

I also personally haven't fought like half the cast with him yet lol. I'm gonna start doing breakdowns and collaborating with everyone as I get him down.

As you said, he has so many tools, sometimes it's hard to think of what's most applicable for each match up, it seems like every match is very different.
It's the same with me and my Green Lantern breakdown on the previous page. It's only because he was my alt before MMH came out. Thus far I've only had one GL I couldn't handle because the player was 25 lvls higher than me and whipping out left/right shenanigans I'd never seen before. I consistently get obliterated by Jokers because I have no idea what his game plan is. Everybody is so insistent he's crap they never bother to tell you why or how to deal with his "apparently" bad tools.

If you don't have a training buddy it's really hard to figure out a match. Having some baseline information will help tremendously. Discussing/debating specifics will be a hell of a lot more constructive for this thread and sub-forum than just saying something to the effect of "this match feels like x-x" and letting others figure out for themselves how.

And every match is absolutely different. J'onn isn't straightforward like Superman or Green Lantern or whoever. His strategy is grossly different depending on the character which is why I hope everybody pitches in to make this a solid, comprehensive match-up primer. :)

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
Me and my brother just ran around 100 games, his mmh vs my batman. He ran me over. I was kinda rusty from not playing for awhile and no mmh experience but enough excuses lol, how do you guys feel about this mu?

Espio

Kokomo
It's the same with me and my Green Lantern breakdown on the previous page. It's only because he was my alt before MMH came out. Thus far I've only had one GL I couldn't handle because the player was 25 lvls higher than me and whipping out left/right shenanigans I'd never seen before. I consistently get obliterated by Jokers because I have no idea what his game plan is. Everybody is so insistent he's crap they never bother to tell you why or how to deal with his "apparently" bad tools.

If you don't have a training buddy it's really hard to figure out a match. Having some baseline information will help tremendously. Discussing/debating specifics will be a hell of a lot more constructive for this thread and sub-forum than just saying something to the effect of "this match feels like x-x" and letting others figure out for themselves how.

And every match is absolutely different. J'onn isn't straightforward like Superman or Green Lantern or whoever. His strategy is grossly different depending on the character which is why I hope everybody pitches in to make this a solid, comprehensive match-up primer. :)

Funny you mention Joker, I'm uploading a set of me getting blown up by a really good Joker player today or tomorrow, I felt so confused on how to play that match up and the footage was filmed week one of Martian Manhunter dropping so I don't really use pillars or much of anything, it's pretty bad lol. Although guns seem to stuff start up of orbs at least for me.

If it's just numbers, it doesn't tell you "what are my counters and their counters?" or " can I stop them from playing their game or do they limit my game?" etc.

We'll get there as the months go by and we get to really hammer out match ups.

He's what I hoped for in a new character, he reinvigorated my interest in Injustice because he's not a flow chart character in the least and on the plus side, he's actually incredibly fun.

vs Flash punishing his charge is inconsistent because of where he lands.

BUT!

If you trait after block (or before obviously) you can punish with 22,11, or d1 into combos. Everytime, no matter the range.

Zero-Shift

B-List Hero
Other than Martian Manhunter the other characters I've put a lot of time into are Green Lantern, Bane, and Black Adam. I've talked about GL. I want to talk about Bane and Black Adam but I barely fight any so I don't feel I have a firm grasp on the match-ups. Tempted to do some theory fighting and make educated guesses but I'm not sure that would even be useful at all and I don't want to waste people's time with bad ideas. What do you guys think?

Can someone tell me what seem to be MMHs best and worst MUs so far?
It's honestly too soon to say with any certainty. All anybody really has right now are hunches and because we're still trying to figure out the match-ups. J'onn has a pretty high learning curve so we're still experimenting. There's no consensus and not a lot of information available to come to any serious conclusions.

Though just for the hell of it, here is where I stand on his match-ups. Now keep in mind I suck on the whole so take this with a grain of salt. I have yet to fight any match-ups here I feel MMH dominates. Some feel a bit more manageable but I've yet to be in a fight that feels like J'onn curb-stomps the other guy.

On the other hand I'm having a more difficult time against big guys with Super Armor (Doomsday, Grundy, Bane) or anybody who has a projectile that covers the ground (Superman, Black Adam, Aquaman, Nightwing). The big guys give me problems because when they're close they don't have to respect MMH's mix-ups quite so much and zoning them to death is hard since they can steamroll through J'onn's somewhat laggy zoning, especially since he has no multi-hitting projectiles. Guys with ground projectiles give me fits because MMH can be hit while phasing into the ground so unless you make a good read and guess right, you're anti-zoning gets stuffed by their zoning. :confused:

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
played close to 70 games yesterday vs pig and the mmh vs zod mu is verryyy even.. It might be a sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiight advantage to mmh because he dictates the beginning of each match.. still kinda early to tell though

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
played close to 70 games yesterday vs pig and the mmh vs zod mu is verryyy even.. It might be a sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiight advantage to mmh because he dictates the beginning of each match.. still kinda early to tell though
I agree 100%, feels extremely 5-5 if we used decimal system id be inclined to say 4.5-5-5 MMH favor

Really impressed w your MMH and went and looked up all his frame data, that was my first exp w him ever and you really opened my eyes on him. Great stuff man and VGGS
Look forward to exploring the MU w you more

zuurrkk

World's worst GL
Only match-up I currently feel comfortable commenting on is Green Lantern and I think it's an advantageous match-up for MMH. How advantageous remains to be seen but it's at least 6-4.

GL has trouble against good zoning thanks to his crappy mobility. The only way he can close fast is turbine which is risky as hell. MB orbs shut that down completely. His other option is inching forward with air Oa Rockets which are just begging to be hit with a teleport uppercut. Basically if you get Lantern full screen you're forcing him to slowly run a gauntlet just to get to his sweet spot where B1 and Lift are his ideal options and all it takes is one combo ending in B1,3 or Push to force that gauntlet again. Hell, if he uses minigun for safety he risks putting himself back in that situation.

Up close it feels more even so long as you don't really jump. I need to test it but I hear MMH's F2 low crushes. If true this could clinch it for MMH since it would beat GL's best footsie tool and combo starter.

Beyond GL I only really have hunches and first impressions.
I agree. Midrange and further MMH has the advantage by far. Better zoning, which gl struggles with. And gl can't even zone himself because of the threat of the safe teleport. Footsie range, a properly timed f2 owns gls best normal free. Lifts have to be spaced properly. Like max range. (Which you should be doing anyway if you want to do a lift check.) because of trained normals, this makes gl nervous where he's most comfy. MMH controls the flow of the match. Gl has to play super solid. Can't yolo anything. Which sucks because sometimes, as a gl main, you just have to say fuckit and do a lift or mash b1.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I agree 100%, feels extremely 5-5 if we used decimal system id be inclined to say 4.5-5-5 MMH favor

Really impressed w your MMH and went and looked up all his frame data, that was my first exp w him ever and you really opened my eyes on him. Great stuff man and VGGS
Look forward to exploring the MU w you more
thanks man actually taking the game serious now because of this character. BTW best zod I've played. got sooo annoyed by your laser cancel mixups. well def play some more in the future. might even come out to a tourny once I def feel I have a good shot to make top 8

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
thanks man actually taking the game serious now because of this character. BTW best zod I've played. got sooo annoyed by your laser cancel mixups. well def play some more in the future. might even come out to a tourny once I def feel I have a good shot to make top 8
Next time you play with MMH try uploading the video? I'm starved for new Martian Man Handler footage...

Rickyraws

Yup I saw it twice, thanks. I look forward to your matches. Kompetition between kombatants using kharacters I use is always kool to ksee. ;)

Also, since I don't have the character, can anyone say what MMH can do to punish both a MB and non tele from Scorpion? b1 and b2 always do the trick for me, but I don't know if it's because the opponent didn't block or couldn't. MMH or not I find the character embarrassingly free, but think for the sake of consistency, I think I should know the true punish with MMH, as I do with just about every other character. Can't test for myself.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Yup I saw it twice, thanks. I look forward to your matches. Kompetition between kombatants using kharacters I use is always kool to ksee. ;)

Also, since I don't have the character, can anyone say what MMH can do to punish both a MB and non tele from Scorpion? b1 and b2 always do the trick for me, but I don't know if it's because the opponent didn't block or couldn't. MMH or not I find the character embarrassingly free, but think for the sake of consistency, I think I should know the true punish with MMH, as I do with just about every other character. Can't test for myself.

MB tele is only -8 so you kan d1~martian grab MB for a kombo.

Regular tele I usually 223....

Rickyraws

Anyone know how to deal with Doomsday's trait?

With Arrow it was easy but with this guy it's not....
MB orb +regular orb shenanigans seem to work wonders at keeping him out, and if he decides to retaliate with Supernova (which can be dashed anyway) you can litter the screen with orbs to catch him, while you dash, or put one close to you to trade in case you aren't going to dash.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
MB orb +regular orb shenanigans seem to work wonders at keeping him out, and if he decides to retaliate with Supernova (which can be dashed anyway) you can litter the screen with orbs to catch him, while you dash, or put one close to you to trade in case you aren't going to dash.

Hmmm... I'll test it out. See how efficient trait vs orbs is...