What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Premium Supporter
I don't apologize for being attacked, sorry you want respect you have to have mutual it's not a one way street. Simple request? lol dude you want respect you must give it as well...Ok, well I guess I got my answer. I guess Some folks just have to be right all the time shrugs

Also, [email protected] Sutter Pain dude gtfo you don't even Raiden troll....

Anyway, @Darth Mao lol what's up? Have you seen Raiden in the animated trailer? Looks cool. I hope they give him that move in future games flying around vertically with lightning.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Raiden Truth and Light questions:

What is my combo from B12~Jo Push Amp?

What's a BnB rod setup? What's the gameplan with the rod? Restricting movement? Zoning?

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning

What's a BnB rod setup? What's the gameplan with the rod? Restricting movement? Zoning?
Probably just F4~DB2 from B12~BF3 AMP

As for rod setups I don’t play that variation so I’ll refer you to @Marlow and his updated combo thread. Should be some tidbits in there. However, anything into rod on block is death.
Rod allows his projectiles to be reflected onto the opponent, granting an extra hit on top of the normal projectile. That extra hit is a mid and does around 4% on hit. However, due to the limitation in distance, the rod cannot be placed full screen, and if you shoot a projectile like this you will end up with only the extra hit making contact with the opponent.

Marlow

Premium
Premium Supporter

B12 BF3 AMP F4 DB2 = 265.61 dmg. Pretty much any Jo Push the standard ender is F4-DB2. After DB2 you can dash forward and place a rod (non amped) that should be right on top or right behind the opponent. It's optimal to have the rod slightly behind the opponent to maximize the hits. There's more combos over on the updated combo thread.

Personally I haven't found too many rod setups worth doing. Non-amped rod is mostly just harassment, and with how slow Raiden's projectiles are you're lucky to get much more than chip. Amped Rod costs a bar, but again all you're likely getting out of it is some chip, so I don't find it worth it. Even if the opponent gets hit by the bubble you're probably only getting a jailed string.

But I'll be the first to admit my execution and creativity isn't the best, and it's possible there's some good setups in the corner, or maybe some ok pressure to be found after B12-Amped Rod on hit.

The most mileage I've gotten out of the rod (Phrasing) is doing amped rod after F4 or F2 hits, which combos into the bubble hit and typically leaves the opponent point blank next to Raiden and Raiden something like +18 to +24, so Raiden can jail pretty much anything, even his S3 which is + on block.

I think the general gameplan on T&L is about going for plus frames and setting up frame traps. Somebody in the last page or two posted some great stuff about all the ways Raiden can be plus after a hit and lead to more jail/pressure. To me that's the best way to approach T&L.

just picked the game up again after months - is discharge still the fastest move in the game even though its 6f now (aka all others nerfed to 7)?
and is jo push considered to have hitbox issues or is it ok?

just picked the game up again after months - is discharge still the fastest move in the game even though its 6f now (aka all others nerfed to 7)?
and is jo push considered to have hitbox issues or is it ok?
Discharge is the fastest special in the game, yeah, and since Geras' U2 got nerfed it's now also the fastest wakeup reversal in the game too.

Jo Push is just all kinds of ass in general and needs revision.

Nevan_PTF

All your mains belong to me!
Fellas, I made it to Demi-God yesterday! I set my goals and feels good when you're able to achieve them!

Thank you guys for the help, optimal combos, match up knowledge and by constructive criticism on my gameplay.

@Braindead - your beatdowns, lol, were key to improve as well!

Last edited:

MKF30

Premium Supporter
Fellas, I made it to Demi-God yesterday! I set my goals and feels good when you're able to achieve them!

Thank you guys for the help, optimal combos, match up knowledge and by constructive criticism on my gameplay.

@Braindead - you beatdowns, lol, were key to improve as well!
Congrats, I too made DG a few days back so I've been enjoying a few days off lol.

Nevan_PTF

LOL Same, having to fight without that "pressure" feels nice ahah

Raiden is really something, some match ups are an uphill battle or types of players, even.

I fought so many Scorpion and Sub-Zero that I lost count.

MKF30

Premium Supporter
LOL Same, having to fight without that "pressure" feels nice ahah

Raiden is really something, some match ups are an uphill battle or types of players, even.

I fought so many Scorpion and Sub-Zero that I lost count.
I concur lol. Out of those two I think I'd rather face subby lol. Not that hes a walk in the park but I would take sub over scorp as a raiden player.

Nevan_PTF

I concur lol. Out of those two I think I'd rather face subby lol. Not that hes a walk in the park but I would take sub over scorp as a raiden player.
Same, I would pick Sub-Zero to play against, they are more nutty in general, with yolo slides and F2,4. The only good Sub-Zero I play against is Braindead, so he made it easier for to play vs other Subs.

Scorpion above a certain rank aren't bad and mixup their strings, I remember playing against a relentless Scorpion. No yolo TPs, smart spears and great staggers. Didn't adapt in time and lost the set.

I reached Demi God too with thunder wave ⚡
Woah! Damn! Congrats man! I can't see myself not playing Raijin, but its good to see TW getting work done.

MKF30

Premium Supporter
I reached Demi God too with thunder wave ⚡
Nice job, same here! On both Switch and Xbox, man it's hard to do it twice back to back seasons. I hope there's no costumes or gear I want next season. But with my luck they'll prob put Jade's outfit in DG lol....

Same, I would pick Sub-Zero to play against, they are more nutty in general, with yolo slides and F2,4. The only good Sub-Zero I play against is Braindead, so he made it easier for to play vs other Subs.

Scorpion above a certain rank aren't bad and mixup their strings, I remember playing against a relentless Scorpion. No yolo TPs, smart spears and great staggers. Didn't adapt in time and lost the set.

Woah! Damn! Congrats man! I can't see myself not playing Raijin, but its good to see TW getting work done.
Yes definitely not easy! I started out on TW, sticking with it. Raiden to me just isn't Raiden without his teleport. Yeah the slides you have to be ready for, though if they use his second variation no slide but he has super ice ball and shoulder. Scorpion players are just annoying with his staggers, mix ups and you can't really jump much with his teleport. Easier to move around vs Sub like you said spears too, staggers. Though Sub also has great mix ups. I think patience is key to beating both with Raiden.

MKF30

Premium Supporter
Guess we'll have to see if he actually wins any tourneys in the future. Think so far I've gotten about ehhh 2 Raijin's in KL past 3 seasons :D Imagine if he had the teleport in Raijin THEN you're talking real dumb tier lol. I still enjoy my TW, mobility>>>gimmicks.

Arqwart

Lean, mean, and +14
Guess we'll have to see if he actually wins any tourneys in the future. Think so far I've gotten about ehhh 2 Raijin's in KL past 3 seasons :D Imagine if he had the teleport in Raijin THEN you're talking real dumb tier lol. I still enjoy my TW, mobility>>>gimmicks.
How is having a gapless, always-safe special and the ability to punish strings you block a gimmick? Not to mention the variation has a popup so it does just the same damage as TW.

MKF30

Premium Supporter
How is having a gapless, always-safe special and the ability to punish strings you block a gimmick? Not to mention the variation has a popup so it does just the same damage as TW.
I'm referring to his buff moves that make him viable but regarding your question, referring to the first part especially. Gapless, always safe special? lol you just answered your own question. Because in his other 2 he has none of that and thus takes more skill to win. There are no gimmicks. I'm not saying it's bad, you're acting as if I said it's bad. Just saying a lot of people ride on Raijin but I would take his TW anyday over it. The main reason? Raijin gets zoned out BAD, unlike TW which can't be zoned out. I don't mind him having pop ups but he should have had that in the first place. Look at how many other characters have launchers in strings or normals? But yeah, not saying Rajin is bad I just prefer his TW overall and his third well...you need to say a prayer for that to work lol. I'm not telling you that Raijin sucks or not to use it, just saying it's not without it's flaws.