What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

ruthlezz997

YOU TASK A THUNDER GOD!
Can someone give me tips on how to beat Skarlet as Raiden? I am powerless when playing vs her,its like my worst matchup next to Geras and Liu Kang.

Zviko

Noob
They could make Raiden a lot better just with B14 and F32 strings. What are these right now anyway. Totally useless. B14 is not even a mix up. It's just a high risk, very low reward overhead. If they make it flawless blockable but + on block you get a mix up with B12 and + frames to get your mid/throw mix up game going and when conditioned, even low/oh.

And same with F32. F3 looks like a decent Scorpion-like stagger but Scorpion can get so much from it with a KB while all Raiden gets is a knock away. And 2 is a mid too. Either make it a KB that works the same as Scorpion's or make it in an overhead and a KB if only overhead hits.

So with that he gets + frames and much scarier F3 stagger with another, easier KB. He gets his mix up game after F3 and B14 which could even make his B2 a bit easier to get. Or just change that one too or at least make B2 special cancelable. Oh and why is it so hard to cancel into tp? It's so easy for any other special move but for tp it's so tight and specific timing. With cancelable B2 and better tp you could at least make yourself safe by spending a bar.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Can someone give me tips on how to beat Skarlet as Raiden? I am powerless when playing vs her,its like my worst matchup next to Geras and Liu Kang.
If you play TW she shouldnt be able to zone yoI because one correct read and she eats 29%. If I remember correctly she has lots of FB gaps so if you’re good at that you can exploit it. I haven’t had that much trouble with Skarlet. Is there a specific move or play style that’s getting you frustrated? We can discuss this further in the MU thread so information can be organised more neatly.

Mandolore1123

They could make Raiden a lot better just with B14 and F32 strings. What are these right now anyway. Totally useless. B14 is not even a mix up. It's just a high risk, very low reward overhead. If they make it flawless blockable but + on block you get a mix up with B12 and + frames to get your mid/throw mix up game going and when conditioned, even low/oh.

And same with F32. F3 looks like a decent Scorpion-like stagger but Scorpion can get so much from it with a KB while all Raiden gets is a knock away. And 2 is a mid too. Either make it a KB that works the same as Scorpion's or make it in an overhead and a KB if only overhead hits.

So with that he gets + frames and much scarier F3 stagger with another, easier KB. He gets his mix up game after F3 and B14 which could even make his B2 a bit easier to get. Or just change that one too or at least make B2 special cancelable. Oh and why is it so hard to cancel into tp? It's so easy for any other special move but for tp it's so tight and specific timing. With cancelable B2 and better tp you could at least make yourself safe by spending a bar.
I would make B14 safe but making it plus might be a bit much. Making it plus would make Raijin very strong with a plus overhead and a low that goes into full combo or a completely safe option and staggers all off B1. Not everything needs to solved with plus frames.
Also what is this meme that F32 is useless? Like I get that it’s -6 but it isn’t a bad string at all. You can time FB reversals and stuff. F3 is a great mid. F32 might not be an over head but it leaves you at +44 and you can dash up into oki. It also gives you safe jump setups in the corner off an airborne opponent. F3 on hit also jails into literally everything in Raiden’s arsenal except F4 or F2.

ruthlezz997

YOU TASK A THUNDER GOD!
If you play TW she shouldnt be able to zone yoI because one correct read and she eats 29%. If I remember correctly she has lots of FB gaps so if you’re good at that you can exploit it. I haven’t had that much trouble with Skarlet. Is there a specific move or play style that’s getting you frustrated? We can discuss this further in the MU thread so information can be organised more neatly.
Never had problem with zoning,more with the fact that everything she does besides zoning is safe. Is the only way to beat her by literally flawless blocking? Her strings dont seem to be punishable at all.

Mandolore1123

Never had problem with zoning,more with the fact that everything she does besides zoning is safe. Is the only way to beat her by literally flawless blocking? Her strings dont seem to be punishable at all.
I don’t remember the exact frame data for her strings but you can look them up in training mode. I know that 212 is definitely unsafe at -11 so it‘s a free punish with S1 every single time you block it. Otherwise, always try to poke or take your turn when she’s minus. You can also dance around at half screen and try to whiff punish her with F11 or F4. I haven’t played against too many Skarlets so maybe other Raiden players can help you out more

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I play patient for her, and punish her teleport the one that's like his but when it's right behind you. If you're fast enough from full screen you can actually stuff out her start up animations on her projectiles and claw if you hit her with the lightning strike, I always buffer it fast one after the other and tends to stop her so they rethink doing it and wind up teleporting to get in and then I punish them. Her 212 is not safe and has gaps, most Skarlet players will use her kick low staggers. I like to stop her teleports with D1 or 121. I've had success utilizing these tactics.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
lol. Super Bolt + floaty stance + silly cloud is my preferred Raiden build.

It's not good, but it is really fun.
I would, theoretically, also take rods instead of bolt there, but with one huge caveat - all those moves must quit sucking ass.