What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

JeffX

Remove armor on fatal blows now
  • 321 should be +4 since it can be interrupted.
  • f112 maybe should leave at 0?
  • b12 could be -7 or -8
  • make df2 safer, able to amp on block and fix it since sometimes it doesn't hit.
  • depending on the string superman cancel should be +, why kabal can be plus? (lately I'm using d4-superman cancel and leaves + on hit
  • faster frames on bf1 it's terrible slow
make b2 cancelable, lol just kidding
Just give him the mkx b2 and make superman fly cancel not cost ny meter.

#BuffRaiden
This would fix him. Especially the fly cancel not costing meter.

Dude, just stop. You're not understanding a goddamn thing or you're just choosing not to. I just said they should come out on block.

You're trying to act like you're some Raiden expert, when you're clearly not.

Please just delete your recent posts here. We're trying to get the character some much needed tools. You're doing a great job fucking it up.
We really don't need posts like this. Stick to the character discussion, not mud slinging.
Or agree to disagree if you can't see eye to eye, just not this shit.

If they change anything, I'd think it'd be the frame data for some of his projectiles.
I agree with this, mainly since Lightning Rod directly interacts with his projectiles and it's pretty obvious to anyone who's messed around with this move that the rod doesn't exist on the field long enough for Raiden to actually make any real use of it. I could see the lifespan of the rod increased, but the other problem to this equation is of course how absurdly slow this character's projectiles are for reasons unknown.
We all love the zippy travel time but it's very deflating to have a projectile that not only takes almost half a second to come out, but also makes you die if it didn't hit.

You guys are asking for some ridiculous buffs

storm cell completely safe

LORD GOD
The big problem with this change is it won't actually solve any problems for Raiden and instead just brush things under the rug by reducing him to Mr. Storm Cell for the rest of time. It's a lazy bandaid change.

SparkySanders

Unga bunga dude
The recovery frames added to all far tp’s was pretty damn minuscule, I find it makes almost no difference when special canceling a blocked string to far tp anyways.

I’m a firm believer here too if you don’t have anything constructive to say, don’t post it to the thread. We don’t need that shit

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
My list of buffs:
1,2 - +0 block
1,2,,1 +3 block
b1 has the push back but not b1,2 because id make b1,2 a legit launcher
bf1 a couple of frames faster
make one of his kicks have faster recovery

Honestly, a lot of the more interesting changes to Raiden would be to simply revert him back a few patches to pre-release state:
Lightning Strike was much faster, could amp on block and whiff. (which we can still see evidence of this in the frame data on the move list, adv on block for the amp)
B2 could be canceled on the first hit.
Fly KB triggered from connecting on an airborne opponent with an air fly, etc

But they took that Raiden away from us before we ever got to try it.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
So with MB lightening Rod, what type of properties does it have on hit or block when the opponent tries to leave the bubble? Is this something that Raiden could potentially use to make a string safe, or even get a combo? I'm thinking something where the push back on blocking a move pushes them out and triggers the hit, something like that.

So with MB lightening Rod, what type of properties does it have on hit or block when they try and leave the bubble? Is this something that Raiden could potentially use to make a string safe, or even get a combo?
Seems to be like getting hit with a d1/d3/d4 poke, but I haven't done much labbing with it.
Like it creates a mixup opportunity or something? Hard to say at this point and I think I'll wait until the patch is known before spending time on it.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I was messing around with stuff just a bit last night. Not that I'm a lab monster at all or anything. B12 canceled into the MB rod seemed to put them right in the middle of the bubble, but I don't know yet what a good follow up would be other than maybe F2 or F4. Ideally there'd be something that puts the opponent in range that he could get some kind of high/low mixup and not need to worry about eating a full combo. The startup of Rod didn't seem too bad, only like 25-26 frames, so he should be able to get it off after most hard knockdowns, I would think.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
In that situation at least they wouldn't be able to jump over the f2/f4 attempt, so that's something I suppose.
Like I said yesterday It looks like amp LR at the end of a string would be ok. The placing of the rod is super negative on block, character dependent they cant punish with anything forward advancing.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
I was messing around with stuff just a bit last night. Not that I'm a lab monster at all or anything. B12 canceled into the MB rod seemed to put them right in the middle of the bubble, but I don't know yet what a good follow up would be other than maybe F2 or F4. Ideally there'd be something that puts the opponent in range that he could get some kind of high/low mixup and not need to worry about eating a full combo. The startup of Rod didn't seem too bad, only like 25-26 frames, so he should be able to get it off after most hard knockdowns, I would think.
How much hit advantage do you have after that?

Wizanski

Buff Raiden
Anyone else here when using Raijin constantly mistakenly do a whiffed DB2 instead of DF2 all the time when hit confirming the B12 when on block to make it safe, then get totally punished severely for it?

I do it so much in matches despite never screwing it up in practice. So annoying.

JeffX

Anyone else here when using Raijin constantly mistakenly do DB2 instead of DF2 all the time when hit confirming the B12 when on block to make it safe, then get totally punished severely for it?

I do it so much in matches despite never screwing it up in practice. So annoying.
Yeah... yeahhhhhhh :(

How many Raiden's do you guys encounter in the wild? No Joke in about 1000 matches I've bumped in to maybe 10? If that? Seems like a once a week occurrence for me.

I feel the lack of love towards Raiden from the dev team is an ego thing. Somebody high up made the premature call to nerf him down from the pre-release version we saw, which we now know turned out to be a horrible misjudgement. I'm guessing that same person/s is blocking buffs to Raiden as it broadcasts an admission within the team they got it terribly wrong. I'm clutching at straws here. If Raiden doesn't get a decent boost in the next patch despite every data point suggesting he is dying for it then I don't know what the hell is going on.

Last edited:

Wizanski

Buff Raiden
This is a pretty good breakdown, maybe a more in depth presentation could also be useful which puts forward the case for buffs that we can spam among the #BuffRaiden campaign that is building momentum on twitter. Buffs might not happen immediately but at least we can have fun trying to nudge some action along. All in all raiden is just a great character that deserves better than what he currently is in MK11. In my opinion he certainly in the bottom 3 right now.

Last edited:

JeffX

How many Raiden's do you guys encounter in the wild? No Joke in about 1000 matches I've bumped in to maybe 15 to 20? If that? Seems like a once a week occurrence for me.

I feel the lack of love towards Raiden from the dev team is an ego thing. Somebody high up made the premature call to nerf him down from the pre-release version we saw, which we now know turned out to be a horrible misjudgement. I'm guessing that same person/s is blocking buffs to Raiden as it broadcasts an admission within the team they got it terribly wrong. I'm clutching at straws here. If Raiden doesn't get a decent boost in the next patch despite every data point suggesting he is dying for it then I don't know what the hell is going on.
Yeah, I don't want to get conspiratorial either, I remember back in August after the patch the Raiden community was being pretty loud about the lack of buffs he received. So they basically redesign Kitana because of who? 16 bit?

I think you're right, that somebody made a judegement call to severely nerf him and it's flown under the radar for a while now, because frankly he's always been a more difficult to use character that doesn't see a lot of representation.

I remember in the pre release sonic/ rewind match, Rewind kept using lightning strike to check Sonic from advancing so maybe they wanted to tone that down.. Newsflash NRS, Sonic had 45 minutes of practice and had no problem closing the gap on Rewind. Change it back please!

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Like I've said before, NRS fucked raiden hard in this game....his 3rd variation is a joke. Heres hoping Fujin is better.

Also, wait which genius wanted Raiden nerfed? Lol

Last edited:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Lol nah They just made a powerful God a pathetic mortal tier wise in this game. Been using him since day one, hes fun but sadly not viable though I take great satisfaction when I beat Scorpions. But yeah variation wise Raiden blows, they do have loads of time to buff him though to where he can be viable but as of now hes arguably the worst character in the game.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Raiden is amazing i honestly dont know wtf but im not gonna troll or nothing.

Picked him up and i enjoy using him.