What's new

Looks like we are rebooting the series (next MK game teaser trailer)

Benlo

PrayforSareena
Got the feeling the story will bring us to Great Kung Lao era, but then events are modified then we'll jump to the "present" with the consequences of that different past.

This way they can keep Sonya, Johnny, Cassie etc.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
we may not get the classic roster from MK1,
what if this new game picks up with the ending where Liu meets the Great Kung Lao

what if we got Liu, Goro, and a bunch of new characters???
yeah that's what I'm thinking, but maybe we're gonna get a bunch of different timelines and multiverses

Afumba

Noob
we may not get the classic roster from MK1,
what if this new game picks up with the ending where Liu meets the Great Kung Lao

what if we got Liu, Goro, and a bunch of new characters???
If we get like Liu, Goro and a bunch of new characters... we will have most new characters using moves from existing characters. I would bet this would be true for at least 50% of the moves. Leading the charge would be Great Kung Lao as he would be KL just with "great" addrd to his name. :D

Also the game would most likely become irrelevant very fast. Upset and disappointed ppls screaming everywhere,.. it will be a ragestorm that will sink the game. Also lots of fans would just not stick around long with a mostly new cast, especially if existing moves are used for new characters.

If you are trying to save a failing franchise... sure, go with it. But for a franchise like MK i would not risk opening pandoras box and i doubt WB will. Especially after covid and in the type of economy we are in atm.

undergroundvgt

the salt shaker
what if its not a reboot at all and they are skipping mortal kombat entirely and going back to the order when NRS releases games? Next game should be injustice 3!

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
Report: 'Mortal Kombat 1' is a reboot, with a full reveal and launch date imminent
By Alexander Cope
Contributions from
Jez Corden
published about 2 hours ago
Reported leaks and official teases hint at the return of Mortal Kombat.
Mortal Kombat 1 Teaser

(Image credit: NetherRealm Studios)

What you need to know
  • Ed Boon, the co-creator of the iconic fighting franchise Mortal Kombat, has released a teaser for the next entry in the series.
  • This was followed up by a leak from Twitter user @billbil-kun stating this new game will be called Mortal Kombat 1 and it will be launching on Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch, and PC.
  • Mortal Kombat is a long-running series of fighting games that was controversial back in the 1990s for its gory, violent gameplay that sparked the creation of the ESRB classification system for video games.
On May 10, 2023, Ed Boon, the co-creator of the long-running Mortal Kombat franchise and chief creative officer for NetherRealm Studios, uploaded a mysterious video on his Twitter account with the hashtag #MortalKombat.

See more
It shows a clock moving forward in time, stopping at 11:00 before skipping to 1:00. This video was hinting that the next entry in the Mortal Kombat series wouldn't be Mortal Kombat 12, but a remake of the original Mortal Kombat or possibly a reboot of the series.
Not long after, noted Twitter leakster billbil-kun revealed the game's name, which hints that the next Mortal Kombat title will indeed be a reboot of the series.
We at Windows Central have confirmed through our sources that the information provided by billbil-kun is indeed legitimate. The post says that the next Mortal Kombat from NetherRealm Studios and Warner Bros. Games will be called "Mortal Kombat 1." It is scheduled to be released for Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch, and PC. Our sourcing suggests the game will be revealed in full in the next couple of weeks.
The Twitter post also lists the retail prices for each version of the game:
  • The Standard edition will cost $69.99 on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S, while the Nintendo Switch version will cost $59.99
  • The Premium edition will cost $109.99.
  • The Kollector's edition will cost $249.99 on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.
Our sourcing suggests that Mortal Kombat 1 is targeting a September 2023 launch window, although plans may be in flux. We've heard that the MK1 character pass will feature various properties owned by Warner Brothers, including Peacemaker from the DC Universe, and possibly even Homelander from comic book series The Boys, amongst others we have yet to confirm.
With the Summer Games Fest marketing season rolling in, with events for Xbox, PlayStation, and others on the horizon, you can fully expect to see the full official reveal for Mortal Kombat 1 and its release date by then.
Mortal Kombat is a fighting game franchise that has been around since 1992. It is an over-the-top and grim series known for its gory and violent gameplay, where you murder your opponents using brutal finishing moves dubbed "Fatalities". Back in the 1990s, the "Fatalities" mechanic sparked so much controversy that it contributed to the creation of the ERSB rating system to regulate mature content in video games.
Windows Central's take
Scorpion Mortal Kombat 11

(Image credit: WB Interactive Entertainment)
Spoiler warning for Mortal Kombat 11: The next Mortal Kombat being a reboot of the franchise does make sense considering how the storyline of the previous game, Mortal Kombat 11 panned out.
Mortal Kombat 11's story mode was about a villain named Kronika who attempted to remake the Mortal Kombat universe in her image. She ultimately failed as the series' long-time protagonist, Liu Kang, managed to defeat her and undid the damage she wrought by resetting the Mortal Kombat universe to how it used to be but with new details.
Going off from the previous game and the leak, Mortal Kombat 1 may be a retelling of the original Mortal Kombat game. On the other hand, it may also be more likely to be a new prequel story that tells the tale of the very first Mortal Kombat tournament and the rise of The Great Kung Lao — an important background character in Mortal Kombat lore that has yet to make a playable appearance in any of the games.
It is exciting news to see Mortal Kombat returning after being gone for nearly four years and we can't wait to see what this new upcoming Xbox game has in store for fighting game fans.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
My theory is that the main story will take place before the events of MK1, but will involve other characters from the future (and possibly even the past). This will allow Great Kung Lao to finally be playable but also allow mega popular characters like Cyrax and Sektor to appear without it making no sense at all.

I'm sort of done with the story in MK, honestly. I'm just thinking of ways they can include other characters that kinda have to be included and make it "make sense."

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
My theory is that the main story will take place before the events of MK1, but will involve other characters from the future (and possibly even the past). This will allow Great Kung Lao to finally be playable but also allow mega popular characters like Cyrax and Sektor to appear without it making no sense at all.

I'm sort of done with the story in MK, honestly. I'm just thinking of ways they can include other characters that kinda have to be included and make it "make sense."
Yeah, unless they want to exclude a bunch of fan favorites, having differing timelines of the tournament in one big multiverse would make the most sense.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
Man I can't stand leakers.

Just make up a bunch of educated guesses, claim you have "sources", and then throw in some generic disclaimers, and boom, you're leaker.
I 100% agree, but seemingly both these guys have really good track records at least. Still not believing it til I see it, but I can see how this one is actually worth a discussion.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
In general it seems like a fighting game is tough to craft a satisfying story around. Just too many characters to try and include, but also hard to balance out the stakes. Especially in Mortal Kombat, where characters are supposed to be taking part in lethal combat frequently. A story with no character death would seem absurb, but at the same time the writers need to find a way to bring characters back from the dead so that they can justify putting the character in the next game.

I'm a little fatigued of timelines, resets, and multiverse stuff, but maybe it's just a necessary evil?

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I 100% agree, but seemingly both these guys have really good track records at least. Still not believing it til I see it, but I can see how this one is actually worth a discussion.
It's certainly worth discussing. It just annoys me how people present it as if they have dead set insider info, when usually they're just making educated guesses, or have barely more inside info. They set themselves up as Insiders with Special Information, when they barely know more than anyone else.

We at Windows Central have confirmed through our sources that the information provided by billbil-kun is indeed legitimate.
That is such a bonkers statement. Unverified sources confirming an unverified leak. Hilarious.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
In general it seems like a fighting game is tough to craft a satisfying story around. Just too many characters to try and include, but also hard to balance out the stakes. Especially in Mortal Kombat, where characters are supposed to be taking part in lethal combat frequently. A story with no character death would seem absurb, but at the same time the writers need to find a way to bring characters back from the dead so that they can justify putting the character in the next game.

I'm a little fatigued of timelines, resets, and multiverse stuff, but maybe it's just a necessary evil?
Might be necessary when you want to have an infinitely running story, but I'm definitely over it.
Fundamentally it feels like bad story telling. It is how writers try and do a couple of things. One, like here, you have too much to try and reconcile so you need to start over in some way while trying to hold on to what you've already done. It makes the most sense when you have to have 100 years of Batman stories to write or whatever.

The other scenario is far worse where you try and use it for a "have your cake and eat it too" situation. You want to have all the drama of killing your characters, or have an epic event, but you don't actually want to pay the price of what that means. So you kill your iconic character, but it's some version from another universe you aren't as attached to, or you reach back and yank young Sonya from an earlier timeline after you just had your drama moment pretending to kill her off.

I don't really get it. It cheap slide of hand that undercuts the power of those moments you are trying to create. If I don't care about other-verse character, then when you kill them off, I can't feel the same emotion as if you killed off mainline-verse character. If you just bring someone back from the dead then death has no power, and it undercuts all drama going forward. There is basically nothing to really fear or believe in and all drama starts to feel hard to invest in.

It's MK, so a lot of that stuff is baked into the lore and long running traditions, so it's not as weird as it could be, but is anyone really worried we won't see Scorpion again? Anyone?

Timeline changes also functionally delete events that the audience has investment in. That one is a big problem for me personally.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader

Honestly with MK I'm at the point of where they just do a dragonball and wish everyone that died on the planet back to life

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Whatever it is hopefully the support policy has changed and the game gets more attention and care it deserves.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
Actually with it being a reboot, I would like to see the 'main event' focus on the tournament where killing isn't a necessity, but all that stuff and the real danger goes on in the lead up to it. Something like where the protag can't participate in the tourney so they don't become champion but they take care of the greater immediate threat, and allow other characters some relevance of holding the MK champion title