What's new

Looks like we are rebooting the series (next MK game teaser trailer)

undergroundvgt

the salt shaker
I think it’s more possible the first few chapters of the story mode take place during the time of the Great Kung Lao, while the rest of the game is a retelling of MK1.

I just think it’s way too risky to pull a SF3 and leave out the majority of fan favorites for brand new characters.
they tried to leave Ryu out of street fighter 3 RYU for crying out loud! i dont think NRS is that risky!!!

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I feel like it could be leading up to the events of MK1

Remember Liu met up with the great kung lao after the end of aftermath, which is about 300 years before MK1 I believe. So we’ll see edenians, shao, Shang, raiden, goro, Scorp, sub and Liu at least

Might even see sindel before she dies and King Jared. The whole downfall of Edenia

Last edited:

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
I think it’s more possible the first few chapters of the story mode take place during the time of the Great Kung Lao, while the rest of the game is a retelling of MK1.

I just think it’s way too risky to pull a SF3 and leave out the majority of fan favorites for brand new characters.
Elder Gods help me. Not MK1 AGAIN. How many times do we gotta beat MK1-3 before that horse's corpse is done rotting?

What I really want is what someone else suggested in the other teaser thread: split timelines / universes where each game can tell its own story with its own set of characters. Means they could mix up the roster as freely as they want and tell whatever cool one-off stories they can come up with based on that roster (instead of the other way around). If anything sticks well enough, they could maybe do a sequel to a specific timeline every now and then.

undergroundvgt

the salt shaker
they already rebooted mk with mk 9 so it wont be that. i think it might be mortal kombat multiverses where you can jump to any timeline!

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
Elder Gods help me. Not MK1 AGAIN. How many times do we gotta beat MK1-3 before that horse's corpse is done rotting?

What I really want is what someone else suggested in the other teaser thread: split timelines / universes where each game can tell its own story with its own set of characters. Means they could mix up the roster as freely as they want and tell whatever cool one-off stories they can come up with based on that roster (instead of the other way around). If anything sticks well enough, they could maybe do a sequel to a specific timeline every now and then.
While I do think it’s likely we’ll get another MK1 retelling, I don’t think it’ll be the exact same thing. Since Liu is in charge I think he’ll try to banish all evil, so characters like Shang and Quan. He’ll want it to be the ideal universe, so maybe stuff like Mileena being Kitanas literal sister and they get along, stuff like that.

But maybe Shangs ending in Aftermath was also canon, in another timeline, and he comes in and you have a merger of the two timelines, and that’s where the MK1 tournament is retold. Idk I’m just spitballing, I’m excited lmao

Afumba

Noob
I really hope its not a reset to MK1 or even before MK1. Its probably the most disappointing and bad thing they can do.

And if so then i hope its a timeline where a lot of the events we have already seen have already happened before the original MK1 tournament ...
Meaning things like Jonny and Sonya are already a thing and Cassie is already there, Sub and Scorp plot is already resolved, characters like Ermac, Mileena, Noob, Reptilr have already developed, Quan/Shang/Goro/Shinnok storylines have already happened in some form or another etcetc

I am just not interested in "the past" being playable. King Jerod, old Edenia, Great Kung Lao etc are just nice backstory to me. I dont need to play those characters or those times.

I'd rather they keep developing the characters and the story instead of reseting it nonstop and retelling the same plots over and over. If they really reset we will see the same types of stories and arcs we have already had multiple times already... just with another new spin/twist...

What i would love to see is Liu reshaping the timeline from MK9 to MK10, canceling all deaths and changing the events so no one dies but the good guys still win. Erase MK11 plot completly. Start MK12 with Kotal as Emporer of united Outworld, Earthrealm and Outworld are allies and then tell a story from there that involves other realms. The game Intro starts with Liu Kang being called into an inbetween world by the Great Kung Lao who urges Liu to do what i wrote above in order to truely preseve the universe. (Can even be a bad guy disguised as the GKL)
Oh... and as a bonus gives several specific characters more character development and makes them less one dimensional. And as a special bonus, makes Outworld the main good guys... lil tired of earthrealm being the only/main good guys for no reason

Afumba

Noob

The one-of multi timeline idea would also be great, as long as they keep the timelines completly separate. But ppls expecting more diverse rosters from something like this would probably still end up being disappointed. Even in a scenario like this the biggest part of the cast will be returnees and not new ones. Changing to much of the roster in favor of new characters/less liked characters is extremly risky to say the least.

JINNOCIDE

I only show up when a new game's around
While I do think it’s likely we’ll get another MK1 retelling, I don’t think it’ll be the exact same thing. Since Liu is in charge I think he’ll try to banish all evil, so characters like Shang and Quan. He’ll want it to be the ideal universe, so maybe stuff like Mileena being Kitanas literal sister and they get along, stuff like that.

But maybe Shangs ending in Aftermath was also canon, in another timeline, and he comes in and you have a merger of the two timelines, and that’s where the MK1 tournament is retold. Idk I’m just spitballing, I’m excited lmao
watch Liu Kang trying to make a new timeline with only good guys and get something like Sonya Blade and Jade becoming the Quan Chi and Shinnok of this reality

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
MK now has it own multiverse stuff, so, yeah, this teaser just make pretty obvious that, for MK12, they will reboot all the time line, and produce more or less the MK1 events , with some stuff here and there a little different from the original one, with some events put differently, and with some fighters now that were not in the original one, but basically, following up the beggining of MK story :)

Very curious about the creative level this time, so holding up the anxiety , let's see if they finally show the real stuff trailer in the PS showcase event ! :D

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Honestly I love when Mortal Kombat is about the Mortal Kombat tournament. They can reboot this game every week if they want, I'm so over the MULTIREALM AVENGERS LEVEL THREAT stories
This, and like Jynks said (I think) they should make every game standalone. Without Tobias and/or Vogel actually involved they should just give up with the story, whatever they did was aimless and mediocre. Cianciolo is a disgrace.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
If this is "MK1 but Liu Kang meddling with events creates a fuck up timeline", I swear I just want Sub-zero to be an Ice Wraith and Scorpion to be Hanzo, accused of murdering Sub-zero's family. Hell, have Kuai Liang become the new Noob Saibot down the line while Bi-han is Ice Wraith-zero and show the different powers between them.

Just, for the love of GOD, don't reboot the franchise YET AGAIN in the next third game. If they make bad story decisions, just stick to it no matter what and fix it by making better stories taking those decisions into account. I'm tired of this "oops bad writing, lets press the reset time button hehe".