What's new

Looking for some general UMK3 help

Ok, so I've been playing a fair amount of UMK on Live, and I've done alright for myself. Not fantastic, but not awful. Here's the problem;

I've hit a wall. I don't seem to be getting any better, no matter how much I play/practice. Any helpful suggestions or tip would be greatly appreciated.

Ive hit a wall a few times. But after versing a former national title holder in UMK3 I myself have become a better player. He was cool too, he taught me what I was doing wrong and right. God bless you mr. UMK3 dude...

Honestly...take a break from it. Try not to touch it for a few days, that helps me sometimes.

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
the only thing that can help you improve is facing players that are better than you. playing scrubs or cpu will make u slow and too much self-confident. praticing combos doesn't help much overall. just face good players and see tactics ;)

NinjaGrinder said:
the only thing that can help you improve is facing players that are better than you. playing scrubs or cpu will make u slow and too much self-confident. praticing combos doesn't help much overall. just face good players and see tactics ;)
Bingo.

Knowing a Giant Human smoke juggle will only get you so far if you can never hit the guy because he knows just when to block. Good tactics will help you there.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
It's always a good idea to be able to do combos from any situation to extract the maximum amount of damage you can. That takes practice. When you get the basics down, the combo opportunities seem to fall into your lap 8)

dreemernj

Ambassador
There are probably a lot of people from these boards now that would be willing to play you in a serious match and give some constructive pointers during or afterwards. And if you can't find someone to help you that way, play but keep an eye on when you are getting hit, what tactics people are using to beat you, or if you are winning, look at when you are doing the damage and figure out how to make those things happen more and how to get more damage each time they do happen.

Kazlaz

Noob
if we all did this there would be way to many draws or a lot of run jabs
i would do that but im to impatience special with charge attacks like smokes tele or kabal spin etc

kazlaz said:
i would do that but im to impatience special with charge attacks like smokes tele or kabal spin etc
Both Smokes Tele and Kabals spin are easily punished. You can't rely on them. Don't rely on anything, because everything is easily countered.

NinjaGrinder

kazlaz said:
there's nothing wrong in "too many draws or a lot of run jabs" that would mean the level is rising, or, gamers got stuck lol
You indeed have to be patience playing a serious match, since the opp can be expecting everything you throw at him and counter.
tactics>combos

MKK hanzo

Tactics ARE > than Combos
BUT it makes a difference for example H.ASmoke mirror match, when you block a teleport and only uppercutt it other than aaHp, Spear, BnB.....

You MUST also train yourself in the good execution of combos because they can make the difference, but also a mistake doing them can lead you to your own defeat...

Battling the CPU is quite useful for me in that instance... It will give you the speed and hand execution for the sequences.

MKK hanzo_hasashi said:
Tactics ARE > than Combos
You MUST also train yourself in the good execution of combos because they can make the difference, but also a mistake doing them can lead you to your own defeat...
Yes sir, I mess up all the time with H Smokes Teleport Punch after the Popup to JK. I put it in to soon. You just need to cover every angle of your game.

I'm kinda slipping. I just played Crazy Dominican in a ranked match today and barely got a hit on him. If anyone wants to help me out with a constructive criticism match, send me a FR. And thank you to Sugar for teaching me how to relaunch.

Spooky

Banned
Crazy Domican O_O

I vsed him before and he disconnected all 3 games before I could "finish him"

I still got the wins tho :p

unless Crazy Dominican = one of the top 10 people (my friend's rank ain't that good enough to play those type of people)

but i swear to god that fool was the one who disconnected on me when i was playing on my friend's xbox :twisted:

NinjaGrinder

DAVE101 said:
Tactics includes combos silly :wink:
not necessarily IMO. a tactic can be something basic, easy to do, but still useful in vs matches. the games is full of both (combos&tactics) but I just think tactics are far more important than combos. Hanzo H. has a point, yeah. But how can you improve knowing only powerful combos, but not knowing how to make the opportunity to do them? A skilled player can beat you with only uppers, shk's, aarh's/hk's and not doing a single combo. he just knows when is the right moment to take the advantage.
obviously, the *perfect* player will develope/dominate tactics and will pull off massive damage combos with ease ;)

Combos would fall into tactics, I understand not always, but they aren't two different categories like people are saying. Part of your tactics can include combos.

DAVE101 said:
Combos would fall into tactics, I understand not always, but they aren't two different categories like people are saying. Part of your tactics can include combos.
A Strategy can include this.

As H Smoke, at the beggining of the match aaRH, Tp, Spear, Pop up, aahp, jk, aagrab.

The tactics were The aaRH at the beggining, which some people know to do and include it in their stragegy. It would be alot more effective with the combo though.

See what I mean?

Spooky

Banned
wtf is aaRH?

something roundhouse

i hate when yall post these fuckin abbreviations i dont know wtf they is

and how the hell you gonna say that combo shit works against a human player? L O L

Kah Ball said:
wtf is aaRH?

something roundhouse

i hate when yall post these fuckin abbreviations i dont know wtf they is

and how the hell you gonna say that combo shit works against a human player? L O L
Dude Hate to say it, But your an idiot. Started with the N64 thing back on that other topic and now you bitch and whine and don't know how to Seperate the words You and All. You just Piss me off period.

aa ANYTHING stands for anti air.

In case you don't know what ANTI AIR is, thats when your doing something to knock someone out of the air, and probably setting up for a bigger combo.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
ABC, as obvious as it is, no need to be a dick in return, leave that to me. :wink:

In any event, Kah Ball, abbreviations are important because it's less typing especially with how often we say things like "aaHP" instead of "Anti air High Punch" and it's just easier to read. There are some words and phrases I don't abbreviate on other boards but on here, everything I type in terms of tech is abbreviated. Depending on how knowledgable a board is I might not arrbeviate Jump Kick "JK" because people might not be aware of it. I always abbreviated "HP LP HK LK BL" etc because that should really be common knowledge. I rarely abbreviate "on/off the ground as" "otg" anywhere but here.

In any event, aaRH, TP, aaHP, step, aaHP, harpoon, is very possible on half the characters in the game at any given time.

I added an abbreviation guide to the general gameplay section at the top.