What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Liu Kang Liu Kang Matchup Discussion

I think Liu might lose to Scorpion Hellfire, probably Inferno as well. I find that Scorpion has great jumping attacks that allow him to almost jump at Liu for free. The only thing he can really do is trip guard but that is not easy in this game. I find his d4 is a nightmare to deal with because of it's range, speed and safety and it makes the ground game very tricky. He makes zoning risky and he has great footises and a knockdown game to contend with Liu.

Any thoughts?
Use F3 and b2 more. If he jumps in you can walk back and trip guard it.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Use F3 and b2 more. If he jumps in you can walk back and trip guard it.
F3 is overrated. It doesn't have much more range than f44 and can't be hit confirmed, and I don't want to do f3~db2 and knock him full screen anyway because Liu has to be in on him in this MU. I was using b2 after his d4 on block but on hit doesn't give me that much in this MU because ex tele stops any zoning, so I have to run up and pressure but I don't have any stamina left for his best block strings.

And trip guarding only works from a good distance away, and relies on the opponent spacing it badly from max range, but he still has a big generous range to jump at me from. So close up we're playing footsies but he has the added ability to jump at me when it's not a risk if he's actually thinking about the spacing, but Liu can't really jump because his jump attacks suck.

AssassiN

Noob
F3 is overrated. It doesn't have much more range than f44 and can't be hit confirmed, and I don't want to do f3~db2 and knock him full screen anyway because Liu has to be in on him in this MU. I was using b2 after his d4 on block but on hit doesn't give me that much in this MU because ex tele stops any zoning, so I have to run up and pressure but I don't have any stamina left for his best block strings.

And trip guarding only works from a good distance away, and relies on the opponent spacing it badly from max range, but he still has a big generous range to jump at me from. So close up we're playing footsies but he has the added ability to jump at me when it's not a risk if he's actually thinking about the spacing, but Liu can't really jump because his jump attacks suck.
I need to check what F3~FB cancel is on block, but on hit you have more than enough time to confirm into 113.
It's good when people start learning that outside of F4 range block overhead because of B2.

I haven't fought a good Scorpion yet, can you recommend someone from PS4 EU?

F3 still has better range than F4 though. And you don't have to run in and pressure. Get in range so that F3 and b2 will both hit. Mix it up from there. Then he will either guess or wake up.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
F3 still has better range than F4 though. And you don't have to run in and pressure. Get in range so that F3 and b2 will both hit. Mix it up from there. Then he will either guess or wake up.
Realistically f3 isn't great and in the range that he can use f3 is the range that Scorpion jumps for free.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I need to check what F3~FB cancel is on block, but on hit you have more than enough time to confirm into 113.
It's good when people start learning that outside of F4 range block overhead because of B2.

I haven't fought a good Scorpion yet, can you recommend someone from PS4 EU?
Does f3 fb rc combo into 113?

What is the best way to deal with Quan Chi(Summoner)?
His wakeup game seems poor so just keep pressuring him with b1 and f4 on knockdown. Try to keep him close and force him to the corner.

I'm no pro but I seemed to be doing okay from the second game, from about 4:00 minute in:

The Liu vs Ermac MU I feel we are at disadvantage, ermac out footsies liu with his 5Frame D1 6Frame D3 and his D4 is one of the best AA in the game that lowers his hitbox a lot makes crossing him up a bitch or trying to ji on him, we cant really trade if he is using his soul variation if he is stacked with all 3 which is usually always and 1 ball hits you that's free 30%+ meterless and that shits is also fast way faster than subs ice ball making trades with him risky. his backdash is The best in the game, has a solid string that leaves him @ neutral with his D1 @5frames liu cant do anything. if blocked he can just backdash has 50/50 mixups into combos and has a special that pushes back and safe on block. Ermac is solid ppl are sleeping on him
why would you play footsies with ermac when you can just meter burn in and start your dumb ass pressure game right there? also, as soon as you burn the meter to start your pressure you automatically regain that meter anyway.

Gurimmjaw

Earthrealm
do not let him get away from you... just smother his ass with pressure
Thanks I have been trying to play a zoning game against Quan Chi than found out that a bad idea.

His wakeup game seems poor so just keep pressuring him with b1 and f4 on knockdown. Try to keep him close and force him to the corner.

I'm no pro but I seemed to be doing okay from the second game, from about 4:00 minute in:
I know his wake up game isn't too good though I do believe db2 is decent enough. So it seems like against Quan Chi it best to be mostly up close against him as he has a good zoning game. If im far away I do like to use his flying kick.

You did well in that match.

Is it me or is kitana a really hard and annoying ass match up any one can help with this would be greatly appreciated
Kitana outzones liu kang. He can counter zone though. It's better played zoning for a while. Then rushing in.. When you rush in, use allot of plus strings and grabs. On knockdown use b1 everytime to stuff her wakeup

Shtutik

Noob
Cant Liu just outzone grandmaster Sub ? if you throw low fireball right after he uses clone you break the clone and can throw another one and block the iceball , if youre to late just block/duck iceball you can throw low fb again and block iceball

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
Cant Liu just outzone grandmaster Sub ? if you throw low fireball right after he uses clone you break the clone and can throw another one and block the iceball , if youre to late just block/duck iceball you can throw low fb again and block iceball
ex freeze gotta watchout for to m8

His NJP is so mehhh though. :/ I wonder if he has some post knockdown setups to better deal with her.
After the patch it might be more doable. But as of now the mu sucks.
This is a mu where his orbs really shine. A air orb or standing orb can be a lifesaver. I haven't bought the dlc pack yet so I don't know. Also you got Xbox ?

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
The have still overlooked the orb destruction in the corner, which, although the buff has shined some new hope on him for me, greatly detracts from his tournament viability due to the random nature of stage selection.

Mpizz10

Liu Kang and The Flash mains
I need some help with ermac. Im good with rest of cast but I feel like my personal mu against him is 9-1 not kidding lol not saying that's the real mu I just constantly lose to good ermacs. His footsies and that jump kick make it hard to punish and zoning him can be nightmare because if he touches you with soul ball or teleport full combo for big damage. I feel like I'll outplay them for 80 percent of match and still lose. How do you guys deal with him? I play all three variations of liu