What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Liu Kang Liu Kang Matchup Discussion

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
First MU I want to talk about is Kotal Khan War God. He out footsies Kang and has a great 50/50 game to match it that launches into huge damage. I know there are some gaps in strings but they are tough to armor thorough with damage that matters vs his huge damage attacks.

armored damage isn't cut in half like it was in injustice.

Does anyone have a good gameplan here?

Last edited:

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
To that note on Kotal...

All strings that end in -1 or more force Kang to guess a 50/50 again...Any gap in pressure greater than 5 frames lets him get his d1 in which again makes you block a 50/50. All of the 50/50's lead to 30%+ which can end your life super quick.

Superi0rMagik

You only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent
How does he out footsie liu? you can armor or back dash btw also liu D+3 is +4 and he has a special Db2 which makes him safe because of the pushback which after that you can do a D3 after and apply pressure. not to mention he cant even be hit out of any fireball cancel strings. You just cant let him start the guessing game. if you run in after a knock and press D3 it duck mostly everything considering how low his hitbox actually is in this game.

kaseyk

Noob
I use flame fist . You can parry almost everything and fireball bust him up .
I have only played 1 decent kotal and i swarmed him then got him frustrated with fireball rushed in swarmed him cornered and killed .
He isn't as fast as kang and in footsie range his moves are easy to parry .
early analysis of course but we get nice chunk damage on touch also .

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
How does he out footsie liu? you can armor or back dash btw also liu D+3 is +4 and he has a special Db2 which makes him safe because of the pushback which after that you can do a D3 after and apply pressure. not to mention he cant even be hit out of any fireball cancel strings. You just cant let him start the guessing game. if you run in after a knock and press D3 it duck mostly everything considering how low his hitbox actually is in this game.
his f1 out ranges anything kang has in the normal department. His D3 frame data is wrong. Its neutral on block. Test it for your self. His wargod stance gives him an armored 2 hit overhead launcher that leads to 40%. You also can't backdash any of his followups. Not his f1 his b1 or his raw overhead...not even his b14 which is a high low string.

First MU I want to talk about is Kotal Khan War God. He out footsies Kang and has a great 50/50 game to match it that launches into huge damage. I know there are some gaps in strings but they are tough to armor thorough with damage that matters vs his huge damage attacks.

armored damage isn't cut in half like it was in injustice.

Does anyone have a good gameplan here?
Okay, first of all, I despise the (Shirai Ryu) Takeda MU. He completely dominates us midscreen and as far as I see it you're left with very few options. The only thing I could do was play flame fists and try to stop his spacing a little to respect my parry. Then try to zone... I have a lot of trouble playing footsies with Liu in general. Any tips?

FREEJ4Y

waiting for the balance patch
Need help dealing with Grandmaster Sub Zero.

I'm about to drop the game until he gets nerfed at this point.

Can't escape ice klone in corner.

Neutral is nasty because ice klone eats 1 projectile.

Zoning is very tedious because any trade with ice ball is a free combo.

Having a hard time figuring out where LK beats Scrub Zero.

bettyswallaux

XBOXLive: BettySwallaux

Good lord the quit until nerf threats have begun early.

XAlcarazX

"Death will reveal the truth"
man liu vs jaqui gotta be atleast 3-7 her zone game is too strong, reminds me a lot of the kabal/johnny MU in mk9 getting in is the hard part unless u wanna MB flying kick into safe bicycle kicks but that's 2 meters other than that gotta be real patient ducking under her machine guns

man liu vs jaqui gotta be atleast 3-7 her zone game is too strong, reminds me a lot of the kabal/johnny MU in mk9 getting in is the hard part unless u wanna MB flying kick into safe bicycle kicks but that's 2 meters other than that gotta be real patient ducking under her machine guns
3-7 my ass, lmao. Kang has great zoning and can counterzone well. I usually will throw two or three low fireballs then do a insta air when they try to jump. Then when they get impatient you can FK at them and if you want mb for BK pressure

Update: firgured out Takeda MU after extensive sets with several Takeda mains. Basically play far range when he doesn't have meter and pressure the shit out of him. i can pressure once I really get on them, but footsies is still tough

Yea its a tough one but heres how i play the mu. I use the dragon fire variation. I play the zoning/footies game in this mu. Meter management is a key against subzero. I use my meter mostly for the enhanced high fireball after subzero activates his ice clone which helps in the trade. Bait the slide. Kangs b2 is also useful against subzero when playing that type of strategy. Im still messing with the mu but so far what i said is really useful for that frost bitten ninja.

Hope it helps man

Also:
11 + low fireball is a good mixup that leaves you either +6 or 7.
Flying Kick in flame dragon blows up armoured wakeups
And on a jump in if they respect your low do a B2 for a HKD

Can anyone help with the Cassie Cage MU? I feel like she out footsies the hell out of me with that one annoying ass string... also her jumping attacks are stupid.

Liu's zoning is quite underrated, especially in flame fist. That powerup boost he gets can end games early if you mix up his low fireballs and IAF. He can easily out zone a good number of the cast.

Liu's zoning is quite underrated, especially in flame fist. That powerup boost he gets can end games early if you mix up his low fireballs and IAF. He can easily out zone a good number of the cast.
Woah woah woah... the flame fist trait buffs fireballs???

Woah woah woah... the flame fist trait buffs fireballs???
Yes. Where normally it does 7% damage, with the buff it gets around 10.5% I think?

This whole variation is quite ridiculous. With the buff his B2,1 into Windmill punch does so much chip it basically eats away at the opponents life bar. You can even mix it up with B2,1 low fireball and go in for more pressure from there. This is just one of many options that have yet to be explored. I'm really digging this variation.

Yes. Where normally it does 7% damage, with the buff it gets around 10.5% I think?

This whole variation is quite ridiculous. With the buff his B2,1 into Windmill punch does so much chip it basically eats away at the opponents life bar. You can even mix it up with B2,1 low fireball and go in for more pressure from there. This is just one of many options that have yet to be explored. I'm really digging this variation.
That's crazy. I'm gonna have to hit the lab with it more. Plus it has a 3 frame parry. Duelist is very intriguing as well, i few weeks from now I know I'll have some nasty shit with it.

FREEJ4Y

Yea its a tough one but heres how i play the mu. I use the dragon fire variation. I play the zoning/footies game in this mu. Meter management is a key against subzero. I use my meter mostly for the enhanced high fireball after subzero activates his ice clone which helps in the trade. Bait the slide. Kangs b2 is also useful against subzero when playing that type of strategy. Im still messing with the mu but so far what i said is really useful for that frost bitten ninja.

Hope it helps man
I hate using meter in neutral, but I haven't been given a choice here. My friend's sub is not stupid. No random slides, just good klone pressure and zoning.

Seems very difficult to not be in the corner. It was an online set tho.

Everything suggested I have already done or am currently doing.

The match just makes me play a way I haven't had to against most of the cast. I might try flame fist and see if that can get me the edge. I just hate flame fist because i am in love with the damage from Dragon Flame.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Can anyone help with the Cassie Cage MU? I feel like she out footsies the hell out of me with that one annoying ass string... also her jumping attacks are stupid.
I footsie hard till i get a knockdown. Then I let her wakeup and punish it and when she respects that, I either keep her on the ground or standing for the 50/50.

Work hard not to get cornered and you will be fine.

I use duelist so I get more frame traps into 50/50 than the other variations. I think zoning her in the other variations might go well.

Make sure you know how to counter poke with his d1

ZOOM

Noob
What in the world Can Liu Kang do vs Subzeros Ice clone Variation?

This MU felt So unbalanced. He ice clones, yes I have to break it. I'm okay with it. But he can do that, throw a MB ice ball, Absorbing all projectiles..

Once you're in the corner. Full Combo, Ice clones, You try to armor through, armor through the clone, then his B2 or B3 hits you. Destroying your armor
This MU feels frustrating. You can't Poke him after you block his over head too, Its just a guessing game till Subzero gets his Pressure off. Its like he controls the match.

FREEJ4Y

What in the world Can Liu Kang do vs Subzeros Ice clone Variation?

This MU felt So unbalanced. He ice clones, yes I have to break it. I'm okay with it. But he can do that, throw a MB ice ball, Absorbing all projectiles..

Once you're in the corner. Full Combo, Ice clones, You try to armor through, armor through the clone, then his B2 or B3 hits you. Destroying your armor
This MU feels frustrating. You can't Poke him after you block his over head too, Its just a guessing game till Subzero gets his Pressure off. Its like he controls the match.
feels like a 7-3.

requires a lot of patience. There's nothing you can do in the corner. You have to pick a stage with an escape/wall jump interactable in the corner.

Sub controls the neutral free, his wake up isn't the greatest because all he has is slide so if you catch him w/o meter you can go in. The problem is getting your opponent to that point requires a great amount of skill.

Once you're knocked down you can't back dash any of his pressure. I forget which string it is, but it's a mid low mid string that will catch your backdash free and i think it might beat armored reversal except for maybe xray. The string is negative on block, but not punishable. i believe -2ish although the in game frame data said -35. String also has no gap.

I've given up on the match and refuse to play it. You either have to be a lot better than your opponent or just counterpick with like quan chi, kung lao, or another teleport character.

XAlcarazX

"Death will reveal the truth"
The Liu vs Ermac MU I feel we are at disadvantage, ermac out footsies liu with his 5Frame D1 6Frame D3 and his D4 is one of the best AA in the game that lowers his hitbox a lot makes crossing him up a bitch or trying to ji on him, we cant really trade if he is using his soul variation if he is stacked with all 3 which is usually always and 1 ball hits you that's free 30%+ meterless and that shits is also fast way faster than subs ice ball making trades with him risky. his backdash is The best in the game, has a solid string that leaves him @ neutral with his D1 @5frames liu cant do anything. if blocked he can just backdash has 50/50 mixups into combos and has a special that pushes back and safe on block. Ermac is solid ppl are sleeping on him