What's new

General/Other - Liu Kang Liu Kang Dragon's Fire & Flame Fist General Discussion

freerf245

11 11 11 11
How do you deal with people jumping/poking after windmill punch? Any decent poke interrupts it and people tend to jump out. Surely theres another option besides low fireball right?

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
How do you deal with people jumping/poking after windmill punch? Any decent poke interrupts it and people tend to jump out. Surely theres another option besides low fireball right?
EX DB2 beats most pokes, most armors and some jumps;
EX Fireball beats all jumps and does a good trade for Liu Kang (especially if Liu Kang has Shaolin-Flame ON).

;)

You have take mental notes on what they do after wp. If the keep jumping out do ex fireball. If they keep low poking do low fb. If they keep back dashing do dragons roar. After a couple good reads they won't push anything. If the decide to armor that's a plus for you since most armor doesn't launch anymore.

Parasurama

Dragon
You have take mental notes on what they do after wp. If the keep jumping out do ex fireball. If they keep low poking do low fb. If they keep back dashing do dragons roar. After a couple good reads they won't push anything. If the decide to armor that's a plus for you since most armor doesn't launch anymore.
The parry is also a meterless but risky option that we should keep, especially for armored moves. I also notice that some armored moves ppl try are quite slow and just blocking instead of special cancel, is also viable at times. I usually open with an ex dragon roar if playing someone I don't know and decide based on what they do as the match progresses .

Parasurama

Dragon
Ok guys I play ff, how do i deal with and or beat cybernetic? And what range should I play from?
Hey, I have not played this match up much but theoretically, your buffed fireballs are going to hurt and win the trade. I also play Kano and air ball will punish LK's low fireball, so be careful zoning.... rather pressure him with the flame on- stay close to him or at a distance, he will win the footsies.

Bruno-NeoSpace

Guys, if you want to play to win using Liu Kang, play Flame Fist because it's where the candy is now. Dualist is still not MKX viable and Dragon's Fire is good but not over powered.

Dualist = B tier
Dragon's Fire = A tier
Flame Fist = A+ tier

Wigy

There it is...
I was doing some testing. Prepatch after wmp there was a 8 frame gap to low fireball. Its still an 8 frame gap?

Prepatch kotal could d4 after wmp and interrupt the fireball meaning after patch it should be at the very minimum -11 with the 5 frame gap added. And its not. Lol

Did they actually just lie in the patch notes.

If they added 5 frames more characters could jump out.

Not checked discussion so not sure if this is already known?

Bruno-NeoSpace

I was doing some testing. Prepatch after wmp there was a 8 frame gap to low fireball. Its still an 8 frame gap?

Prepatch kotal could d4 after wmp and interrupt the fireball meaning after patch it should be at the very minimum -11 with the 5 frame gap added. And its not. Lol

Did they actually just lie in the patch notes.

If they added 5 frames more characters could jump out.

Not checked discussion so not sure if this is already known?
The gap is added on EX WMP.

I just got into trying out flame fist (more of a df guy) and can someone help me with regard to cancelling Shaolin flame into windmill punches? I can't seem to do it no matter how fast I input the move.

Wigy

There it is...
I just got into trying out flame fist (more of a df guy) and can someone help me with regard to cancelling Shaolin flame into windmill punches? I can't seem to do it no matter how fast I input the move.
You dont really do it asap, kinda time it for just after he claps his hands

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
So u start inputting it when he claps his hands or finishing inputting it when he claps his hands?
I find it really difficult too, when I used to play him I try to time it so I press 4 in fbf4 as soon as his hands touch, so start the input a bit before the actual hand clap.

Parasurama

Dragon
I find it really difficult too, when I used to play him I try to time it so I press 4 in fbf4 as soon as his hands touch, so start the input a bit before the actual hand clap.

I do it consistently now. I think you have to do entire input in that time. I begin it with inputting the shaolin flame early and just as the string or punches end for the cancel, I input the fbf input, so we get it as the hands clap.

Last edited:
i'm having trouble dealing with liu kangs poking game in that MU, between d3,d1, canceling either into spin fist, and if i block both a d3 and d1, his f44 beats out my advancing mid attemps.
If he does a down poke into bf2 you have to hold that. You can armor though.
And you can d1 after any of his d3/d1 block pressure. Just don't respect him mash d2

mk_mamood77

Liu/JohnnyKenshi main
And you can d1 after any of his d3/d1 block pressure. Just don't respect him mash d2
I think he is asking about d1 to db2 not d1 fly kick, in which you can interrupt with s1 after you block d1.
@invincible-salads

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
i can't d1 after i block his d3 because its plus on block tho, and i get beat by his d1. its a dumb guessing game because even if i decide to block both pokes, it pushes me back to where i can't counter poke, and the weird hit boxes of his moves will allow him to beat my advancing mids. do i just back dash after some of these pokes on a read or what?

i can't d1 after i block his d3 because its plus on block tho, and i get beat by his d1. its a dumb guessing game because even if i decide to block both pokes, it pushes me back to where i can't counter poke, and the weird hit boxes of his moves will allow him to beat my advancing mids. do i just back dash after some of these pokes on a read or what?
Takeda must choose to either block both d3, d1 before getting his turn, or do an instant njp. You can also backdash to get out of Liu's range and use your whip normals.