What's new

Let's Just Discuss This...Roster Thing Civilly

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
Why people still thinking the roster has 25 slots only? NRS show us early builds of the game instead of a final select screen with black spots. Ed Boon said a long time ago "It will be around 30 characters" (not talking about DLC).
They just dont fit on the screen. Of course they could always make the boxes smaller or have them start creeping up the sides of the screen.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Uhhh, Shinnok is confirmed in and playable guys... He has a variant called "Imposter."

Jax as well, has a variant called "Pumped up."

I think the not yet revealed/announced characters are Liu Kang, Erron Black, and Fujin. There are also apparently more spots available so who knows who could fill those... (Smoke? Reiko? Havik?)

Well... how many slots are left??

If we're going with the 25 slot roster screen we've been seeing... I think we have

Confirmed:

1. Cassie
2. Dvorah
3. Ermac
4. Ferra/Torr
5. Goro
6. Kano
7. Kitana
8. Kotal Kahn
9. Kung Lao
10. Quan Chi
11. Raiden
12. Reptile
13. Scorpion
14. Sub Zero
15. Mileena
16. Jax
17. Takeda
18. Jacqui
19. Kung Jin
20. Johnny
21. Sonya

So that leaves four spots??

I'm thinking

Liu Kang and Erron Black get in for sure.

The other two spots IMO are up in the air... they've only showed Shinnock in cutscenes fighting so far. Even Jax made it in to gameplay for a few seconds. So I'm not entirely sold on Shinnock.

Could be Shinnock/Kenshi/Shang

or any popular characters like Smoke/Noob/Cyrax/Sektor

Not Sure lol
With that level of character design on Kenshi in the trailer, I have a pretty strong feeling that he is playable.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Kang, Black, Jax, Kenshi, and Shinnok are the characters left to reveal. DLC is the big mystery to me. There are too many people complaining about Fujin and Reiko to be ignored at this point. Also, I highly doubt this game will not have at least 1 cyborg.

To the people complaining about the Cage family; You have to think of this whole situation from a business perspective. NRS is smart enough to know that lots of people wanted new characters to be in the game. Creating new characters that are related to the iconic cast can be a incentive for players to care about them. Just throwing out random new characters like they have in the past didn't exactly pan out the way they hoped. Outside of the game play, the cast is why those MK games are referred to as the "dark ages." No one cared. Now some people have a reason to care about these new characters.

Lets say, Fujin, Reiko, and a cyborg is DLC. Wouldn't that please most people? If they do that, this could be the best cast of any MK game imo. I still want cyber smoke, but I doubt it will happen.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Most likely:
Erron Black
Lui Kang
Shinnok
Fujin
Kenshi
Jax

Possible:
Tanya
Reiko
Rain
Tremor
Sindel
Shang Tsung
Frost
Baraka

Unlikely:
Havok
Smoke
Skarlet
Noob
Serana
Cyrax
Sektor
Stryker

Never happening:
Chameleon
Meat
-any others I didnt mention

I actually like the roster. There are certainly enough veterans for the general audience to recognize that this is a Mortal Kombat game. And there are just enough newcomers that make it a fresh for die hard fans. Boon said to expect the amount of new characters to be around the lines of what Deception had, which was around 8 or 9. And they followed through on that. We have D'Vorah, Ferra/Torr, Kotal, Cassie, Takeda, Jacqui, Kung Jin, and Erron Black. That's 8 fresh faces (I could use more cause I'm selfish). But if this is the roster we're getting then good.

Last edited:

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Weren't there at least 2 characters that were NEVER shown in MK9?

I suspect that'll happen here. Maybe 4?

everyone keeps suspecting Reiko... Havik.... Fujin.... etc.

Who's to say Reiko makes it out of the comics alive? Same for Havik? Who's to say they won't?

Rain in the trailer looked pretty detailed (comparative to Fujin in that shot).

We might be looking at like... "YOU UNLOCKED RAIN" type deal... similar to SZ

Maybe unlock Fujin for completing story mode.

those reviews also mentioned cameo's.... and we KNOW we've seen Sindel, Jax, Kitana all in that "rage" form. The reviews also mention Smoke and Stryker.

I would never hold out hope for some of these characters.

We were given Cyber Sub Zero after all.

The only characters I really want are Fujin, Shinnok, Bo' Rai Cho, and Havik

All four would be well-served by a modern day revamp. Unlike other characters like Jarek or Tanya, they're not mostly blank slates and have relatively unique traits that need fine tuning and expansion. I mean, "Wind god", "Fallen god dwelling in hell", " Sadomasochist agent of chaos", and "Comical drunken master" have so many possibilities for cool moves and likeable quirks.

Most importantly, MK needs a fat guy. All the other big name FG franchises have fat guys. MK will not get a pass...

Spletty

Grandmaster
since i joined like a couple months after mk9 came out, could anyone here confirm if that whole roster was revealed early? including quan chi and Cyber sub?

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
After today we only have a few character slot left and a slew of characters who have not yet made the cut. There is a lot of disappointment floating around with the Cage family reveal today. I'm not super excited about the characters and probably won't touch them much, but I'm also still hype because they do still look fantastic. What are you guys hoping for at this point? What characters are you hoping to see fill in those last slots, and how do you feel about the current roster?
Smoke & Tremor!!!

cfw

Toys can't save you!
All I'm missing is a female villain (not M*l**n*). I hope the Edenian traitor is in this.

Not mad @ the roster even though there is no Sindel (or Tanya) but her child is there and everybody looks cool as hell. I'm good.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Kang, Black, Jax, Kenshi, and Shinnok are the characters left to reveal. DLC is the big mystery to me. There are too many people complaining about Fujin and Reiko to be ignored at this point. Also, I highly doubt this game will not have at least 1 cyborg.

To the people complaining about the Cage family; You have to think of this whole situation from a business perspective. NRS is smart enough to know that lots of people wanted new characters to be in the game. Creating new characters that are related to the iconic cast can be a incentive for players to care about them. Just throwing out random new characters like they have in the past didn't exactly pan out the way they hoped. Outside of the game play, the cast is why those MK games are referred to as the "dark ages." No one cared. Now some people have a reason to care about these new characters.

Lets say, Fujin, Reiko, and a cyborg is DLC. Wouldn't that please most people? If they do that, this could be the best cast of any MK game imo. I still want cyber smoke, but I doubt it will happen.
Exactly, they're getting people used to the new characters by having the style or hints of their family members... that way, in the next game when Johnny, Sonya, Jax, etc aren't present... it will hurt a lot less, because now ppl we love the new characters too.

Pretty good idea actually.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Uhhh, Shinnok is confirmed in and playable guys... He has a variant called "Imposter."

Jax as well, has a variant called "Pumped up."

I think the not yet revealed/announced characters are Liu Kang, Erron Black, and Fujin. There are also apparently more spots available so who knows who could fill those... (Smoke? Reiko? Havik?)
Where did you read about this "Imposter" Variation? Link?

did they confirm the question mark in the middle is random select... it makes more sense for it to be an unlockable character... 25 characters ... + pre order bonus Goro = 26 + 4 DLC = 30...

Jordy

Noob
i'm really pissed off they didnt put robos - noob - reiko - tanya. wtf thre cages family trailer shows cool stuff but i mean... puttin in jax cage sonya is a waste