What's new

Let’s be real about Combo Breaker

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
It was a very good tourney to watch , Combo Breaker has much credibility as a serious event and a very good one ! lots of top notch competitors, great organization, and many matches super hype stuff material .... cannot wait for Evo 2019 , come already !! :D

Props to SonicFox, he is a warrior, coming againt very hard competitors .... a lot of respect to him as player. ;)

Well deserved to Scar, the guy is a skill monster, very smart, patience and it's always amusing and entertainment to see him playing any NRS game .... he came hunger for this victory and deserved ! :)

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
I mean, whenever people are convinced through public opinion that certain characters are supposed to be good, they will play those characters when competiting. Which is part of the problem with people trying to force Week 2 tier lists in the first place.
I agree, that was sorta the point of my last sentence. I believe a lot was due to the early tier lists, for sure. Sheeple doing what Sonic says is best, and he made it to GF, and he has a resume to believe in, but you cant be YOUR best with a char that doesnt vibe with you. THATS why we saw Foxy take those games of Fox. THATS why Honeybee also went down swinging with Dvorah.

People really are misconstruing how much player skill overrides the tiers. And placement isnt a reflection of character strength. Otherwise, KP and semiij would have BOTH went that far with Kitana.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I agree, that was sorta the point of my last sentence. I believe a lot was due to the early tier lists, for sure. Sheeple doing what Sonic says is best, and he made it to GF, and he has a resume to believe in, but you cant be YOUR best with a char that doesnt vibe with you. THATS why we saw Foxy take those games of Fox. THATS why Honeybee also went down swinging with Dvorah.
It's not just Sonic -- there were former top players on this site as well (and Twitter) claiming that they knew who was far too good already less than 2 weeks after the game game out. It was ridiculous.

Sonic will always just play whoever he thinks is necessary to get the job done, as evidenced by him playing Skarlet and Jaqcui when he needed to pull out the wins.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Everyone’s going to have an opinion on MK11’s first major. And yes, there was a lot of “top tiers” being used through out the weekend, but that comes with any fighting game. Some people will definitely use what they thinks strong to give them a better edge. That’s fair. But all in all, I really enjoyed the tournament all weekend. A lot of fun and hype matches, and a decent display of characters through out. Even in top 8.....
If memory serves me correct, (AND I COULD BE WRONG,) here’s the list of characters used in top 8 :
Erron Black
Cassie
Sonya
Kitana
Kung Lao
Jade
Geras
Cetrion
Skarlet
Scorpion
Baraka
Jacqui
A couple of these characters have been deemed unusable in this game on this goofy site, yet somehow were used in top 8.

All I’m saying, is that this past weekend was good for mk11, and we may have a good game on our hands. And don’t @ me with “my character wasnt in top 8, that’s why I’m losing.” No, level up or pick a different character. No need to be a whining Nancy.
Congrats to Scar !
you forgot Raiden !

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
It's not just Sonic -- there were former top players on this site as well (and Twitter) claiming that they knew who was far too good already less than 2 weeks after the game game out. It was ridiculous.

Sonic will always just play whoever he thinks is necessary to get the job done, as evidenced by him playing Skarlet and Jaqcui when he needed to pull out the wins.
To be fair though, he played Skarlet one time, in a match up that he played against that same Kitana player the night before.

Also, just because its on my mind, is there a character in this game that requires very high execution?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
All I know is, I've been hearing for weeks about how the Top 8 at Combo Breaker was supposed to be Erron and Geras, but both of those characters have been utterly destroyed in every tournament Top 8 thus far.

This doesn't mean they aren't too good or don't need fixes, but for all those "They don't play the same game everyone else is playing" people, it's clearly not that simple.

Sonya might be too good, but right now (just like MKX) Scar is the only person making her look that way.

I'm a big proponent of the fact that you can't determine a lot from early tournament results, as it takes the meta time to gel. Both those characters could possibly be S tier. But I also think people need to learn to have patience instead of literally bashing the testers from Day 1. No one knows enough about the game in the first month.
There is a lot of nerf-fright and hostility on these boards and I think those attitudes need to go.

For example, when I say Jade has this or that problem, I legit just look at the move in terms of raw data and its straight uses.
i28. -44. Those are bad numbers.

But I love my main character and I've been saying it from day one:

Nobody but NRS knows this game best.
My guess is as good as anybody's.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
The story goes that he was playing Foxy's Kang in casuals and was getting bodied but had a winning streak with Scarlet. So in a way Foxy taught him how to counter. If they didn't play those games, he wouldn't have had the counter pick on deck.

Lokheit

Noob
inb4 subzero players use this as a reason his vortex doesn't exist:p

jokes aside this tournament was AMAZING,
scar beating fox after almost getting 3-0d first game in top 8
tweedy sending fox to loosers before top 8
just AMAZING!!!

i definitely don't feel any character is unviable or unbeatable, it didn't seem like anyone was getting carried by abusing something overly oppressive
I know that's just a joke but out of curiosity, was he even in top 24? I don't recall it and I don't think I even saw any SZ winning anything in pools, the only spotlight he got was SonicFox in the auction tournament. I was really looking forward to see how pros used him to take notes and I got nada :(

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
I'm not whining about balance man, I play Baraka.
View attachment 14774
I just don't think that complaints about Jade and Lao had any water.
To be fair, I complained about Lao week1-2 because I completely wrote Hat Tricks off. Lotus Fist DOES need some attention, likely just the cost of orbitting hat and a lil more hit advantage off of it.

Z Hats is solid.

Here is a list of the character usage of the top 96, according to Eventhubs.

In order from most used to least used, the top 10 characters were as following.

1st - Geras
2nd - Jacqui
3rd - Scorpion
4th - Erron Black, Jade, Sub Zero
5th - Kabal
6th - Noob Saibot
7th - Sonya
8th - Cassie Cage
9th - Baraka, Cetrion
10th - Liu Kang

The characters that were not used at all were D'Vorah, Kotal Kahn, and Shao Kahn.

However, 15 players are unaccounted for.
Well honeybee used d’vorah in top 24 so those above are probably just mains not characters used.

Except for the love of God fix D'Vorrah Kotal and Frost hitboxes. Make the obvious KB adjustments (e.g. Geras' should be harder to trigger KBs, Johnny's should be easier). Give me one good reason why this shouldn't be done ASAP.

haketh

Noob
:/ So, were gonna pretend that Geras didnt carry some folks?

The best PLAYERS placed. It didnt really matter what character they used, theyre better at the yomi aspect and the game in general.

But youre tripping if you didnt see a whole lotta no ones making it deep in pools with Geras. Some even made it out. Its kinda nutty.
Who? This is such a wack post on so many different levels. No one in this game is OD enough to carry someone who's truly not skilled out of pools.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Who? This is such a wack post on so many different levels. No one in this game is OD enough to carry someone who's truly not skilled out of pools.
In a first to 2 you think its impossible to beat someone slightly more skilled than you based on character strength?

Ill rewatch pools when I have a chance and pull some names. Notably, the guy that bopped Curbo’s Kabal.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Also, how many levels is it whack? Im going to tentatively enter a discussion with you, assuming youre not just attempting to be insulting or stubborn like 90% of this forum.