What's new

Let’s be real about Combo Breaker

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
Everyone’s going to have an opinion on MK11’s first major. And yes, there was a lot of “top tiers” being used through out the weekend, but that comes with any fighting game. Some people will definitely use what they thinks strong to give them a better edge. That’s fair. But all in all, I really enjoyed the tournament all weekend. A lot of fun and hype matches, and a decent display of characters through out. Even in top 8.....
If memory serves me correct, (AND I COULD BE WRONG,) here’s the list of characters used in top 8 :
Erron Black
Cassie
Sonya
Kitana
Kung Lao
Jade
Geras
Cetrion
Skarlet
Scorpion
Baraka
Jacqui
A couple of these characters have been deemed unusable in this game on this goofy site, yet somehow were used in top 8.

All I’m saying, is that this past weekend was good for mk11, and we may have a good game on our hands. And don’t @ me with “my character wasnt in top 8, that’s why I’m losing.” No, level up or pick a different character. No need to be a whining Nancy.
Congrats to Scar !

Last edited:

omooba

fear the moobs
inb4 subzero players use this as a reason his vortex doesn't exist:p

jokes aside this tournament was AMAZING,
scar beating fox after almost getting 3-0d first game in top 8
tweedy sending fox to loosers before top 8
just AMAZING!!!

i definitely don't feel any character is unviable or unbeatable, it didn't seem like anyone was getting carried by abusing something overly oppressive

Kavereus

Noob
I think the top-8 illustrates that the tier-lists are not the end-all-be-all.

This game is pretty balanced when so many distinct characters are being used by top players. I remember when it wasn't unusual to see 4 Charlies or Cammy's in finals when SFV came out. Thankfully that's not the case here.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
The whole argument of whether the character was used or not in this tournament is disingenuity at its finest.
The only thing we can deduct from this is that player skill matters, characters less so, and that MK11 is pretty okay in game balance right now despite some glaring issues with advancing mid combo starters.
The game has been out for a bloody month, everyone just played who they thought was best suited for them.
Stop with the agendas, stay calm and wait for patches.

projectzero00

nomnomnom
I think people haven't been complaining about how unbalanced the game is. The issue is how some characters are a bit overpowered and have way more tools than others. In that sense looking at their usability and success, Sonya, Geras, Erron definitely need to be brought down a bit and DVorah, Forst, Kotal need serious fixing to be able to compete. The rest of the roster seems pretty balanced right now.

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
I think people haven't been complaining about how unbalanced the game is. The issue is how some characters are a bit overpowered and have way more tools than others. In that sense looking at their usability and success, Sonya, Geras, Erron definitely need to be brought down a bit and DVorah, Forst, Kotal need serious fixing to be able to compete. The rest of the roster seems pretty balanced right now.
I get that to an extent. Sure

There was 1 Sonya, 1 Geras, and 1 Erron Black in top 8.

2 cetrions.

Wigy

There it is...
Kung lao and jade were the only ones considered bad there

Wasnt jade used vs cetrion, I could be entirely wrong but read that somewhere (didn't see the game) if so that entirely makes sense.

Honestly watching foxy grandpa play lao I don't know why he bothers. 90% of his damage is grabs. He's doing it out of character loyalty more than anything it seems. Not to say lao is bad.

Wasn't a huge majority of the entrants playing Sonya and geras?

Lack of erron black was very surprising.

This early into the game player skill means more than tier lists.

D

Deleted member 59910

I get that to an extent. Sure

There was 1 Sonya, 1 Geras, and 1 Erron Black in top 8.

2 cetrions.
Add the fact: Geras and Erron were destroyed in top 8. F0xy Grampa's Kung Lao gives a shit about "nerf Erron" bandwagon.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
:/ So, were gonna pretend that Geras didnt carry some folks?

The best PLAYERS placed. It didnt really matter what character they used, theyre better at the yomi aspect and the game in general.

But youre tripping if you didnt see a whole lotta no ones making it deep in pools with Geras. Some even made it out. Its kinda nutty.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Here is a list of the character usage of the top 96, according to Eventhubs.

In order from most used to least used, the top 10 characters were as following.

1st - Geras
2nd - Jacqui
3rd - Scorpion
4th - Erron Black, Jade, Sub Zero
5th - Kabal
6th - Noob Saibot
7th - Sonya
8th - Cassie Cage
9th - Baraka, Cetrion
10th - Liu Kang

The characters that were not used at all were D'Vorah, Kotal Kahn, and Shao Kahn.

However, 15 players are unaccounted for.

Last edited:

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
:/ So, were gonna pretend that Geras didnt carry some folks?

The best PLAYERS placed. It didnt really matter what character they used, theyre better at the yomi aspect and the game in general.

But youre tripping if you didnt see a whole lotta no ones making it deep in pools with Geras. Some even made it out. Its kinda nutty.
I don’t look down on others as “nobody’s.” If they paid and entered a tourney, good for them.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Here is a list of the character usage of the top 96, according to Eventhubs.

In order from most used to least used, the top 10 were as following.

1st - Geras
2nd - Jacqui
3rd - Scorpion
4th - Erron Black, Jade, Sub Zero
5th - Kabal
6th - Noob Saibot
7th - Sonya
8th - Cassie Cage
9th - Baraka
t9th - Cetrion
10th - Liu Kang

The characters that were not used at all were D'Vorah, Kotal Kahn, and Shao Kahn.

However, 15 players are unaccounted for.
This of course being data that more than HALF of top 96 was filled with the characters regarded as S or S+ by MANY top players and scrubs alike.

The argument now is simply, chicken or egg?

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
I don’t look down on others as “nobody’s.” If they paid and entered a tourney, good for them.
Well, “nobodys” is a bad term to use perhaps. I pay to enter tournaments, didnt make CB, but i attend locals often and majors when life lets me. Id put myself in my claimed “nobody” category.

Unknown, lesser skilled players than the very well known top players. Sure, there are super skilled unknown players, but out of 800+ itd be wild to think there werent some people who signed up that arent THAT great. I saw a few. I saw them use Geras and sure, they ended up getting beaten by very good players without or with geras, but MANY players counter picked that MU or straight went Geras mirror.

Tiers are goofy, I dont think they mean a lot, but please tell me what Geras or Scorpions weakness is.

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
Well, “nobodys” is a bad term to use perhaps. I pay to enter tournaments, didnt make CB, but i attend locals often and majors when life lets me. Id put myself in my claimed “nobody” category.

Unknown, lesser skilled players than the very well known top players. Sure, there are super skilled unknown players, but out of 800+ itd be wild to think there werent some people who signed up that arent THAT great. I saw a few. I saw them use Geras and sure, they ended up getting beaten by very good players without or with geras, but MANY players counter picked that MU or straight went Geras mirror.

Tiers are goofy, I dont think they mean a lot, but please tell me what Geras or Scorpions weakness is.
:)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This of course being data that more than HALF of top 96 was filled with the characters regarded as S or S+ by MANY top players and scrubs alike.

The argument now is simply, chicken or egg?
I mean, whenever people are convinced through public opinion that certain characters are supposed to be good, they will play those characters when competiting. Which is part of the problem with people trying to force Week 2 tier lists in the first place.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
All I know is, I've been hearing for weeks about how the Top 8 at Combo Breaker was supposed to be Erron and Geras, but both of those characters have been utterly destroyed in every tournament Top 8 thus far.

This doesn't mean they aren't too good or don't need fixes, but for all those "They don't play the same game everyone else is playing" people, it's clearly not that simple.

Sonya might be too good, but right now (just like MKX) Scar is the only person making her look that way.

I'm a big proponent of the fact that you can't determine a lot from early tournament results, as it takes the meta time to gel. Both those characters could possibly be S tier. But I also think people need to learn to have patience instead of literally bashing the testers from Day 1. No one knows enough about the game in the first month.