What's new

Lantern Tech/Kombos

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
I wanted to make a thread specifically for those that play Li Mei with a major focus on Lantern pressure. When I play her, I like to maintain a no fly zone.

When Li Mei has a lantern up, she has pressure and more combo options for greater damage. I generally don't use Kameos yet, and I'm trying to decide what's best for her. I've been using Darrius and I'll upload clips of that tech in a different thread.

I'll update this thread periodically, I've delayed posting it for two days because I keep finding more optimal combo routes and at this point I'd rather include the community. I have more tech not based around lanterns to share but one post at a time. Videos to be uploaded as they're edited.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To setup a lantern your options are limited; The move list may make it appear you can safely get a lantern out but the frames don't seem to be accurate. As such, the most consistent way I get lanterns out is by ending a combo in a lantern setup. This loses me 5-7% damage each time I do it. Alternatively, you can also get a lantern out safely by cancelling into it from a B34 on hit. The issue therein being that it's difficult to hit confirm and you DO NOT want to do this on block. Perhaps we can find an option select to make this decision for us.

=====================================================================================================================================================

MIDSCREEN

=====================================================================================================================================================

If the lantern is behind the player character;
Your only option to utilize the lantern is:

1.) Low starter: F34 , ji 212 EX Nova Blast (opponent hits lantern) lantern (second lantern detonates) 4 bf4 - 39%

If the lantern is above the opponent;

You have a myriad of options, optimally you'd like to use moves that are + on block to pressure the opponent further.

1.) 124 * opponent hits lantern, dash forward, 43 bf4 - 31%
* You lose your turn on block if you don't cancel into something else

2.) 214 * opponent hits lantern, lantern, dash forward 4 bf4

*You're +6 on block and the lantern isn't too far to be convertible.
This string is not special cancelable on the third hit of 214.

insert video here

3.) B34 db2, * Opponent hits both lanterns, dash forward, 43 bf4 - 37.5%

* You are positive + 7 on block from the B34

4.) D1/D3/D4 * into db3 hits lantern dash in 43 bf4

* This is a gimmick and doesn't truly string until the db3. Requires conditioning

insert Video here

5.) F3, hits lantern *

* a follow up may be possible, particularly with Kameos

If the Lantern is significantly behind opponent;

434 * dash forward, 4 bf4 -28%

* Must be hit confirmed, this string is death on block
Anything into bf4 enhanced can combo opponent into lantern, will require kameo to further juggle

====================================================================================================================================================

In the Corner

====================================================================================================================================================

Same combos, often without a dash and sometimes with a second lantern.

Lantern above player or opponent:

B43, opponent hits lantern, 4, lantern 124 bf4 - 43%

F3, opponent hits lantern, 124 bf4

124 lantern, opponent hits both lanterns, 43 bf4

214 opponent hits lantern, 43 bf4

insert video here

D1/D3/D4 * into db3 hits lantern dash in 43 bf4

* insert video here*

* This is a gimmick and doesn't truly string until the db3. Requires conditioning.

Last edited: