What's new

Kustom Variations and Tournaments

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Get rid of the variation system all together and just have it so you select your moves on the character select screen for offline play and then have it on there so the other player knows what moves the other person has.

I truly love the kustomize slots. I just made three posts about it before I saw this. I hope they have a user interface built for tournament mode already and trust nrs has has already for seen this.

As far as discussing balance there will always exist a meta regardless of the choices presented.
It is just the kustomize option would be way more expansive and allow nrs to possibly prolong the game life easier. Could you imagine if season 2 or Kombat pack 2 added some new slots for the cast? That would be sick and keep the game going fresh with out having to bloat the roster.

I really look forward to an nrs title that stays relevant for a longer duration than the last couple titles.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Kustom variations should be the tournament standard.
Unlike I2, whose additional special moves were not balanced for competitive play (some of them were insane), none of the moves in MK11 feel particularly apocalyptic to the state of the game. All they do is serve to enhance a character's base options, with the added side-effect of making the gameplay feel more personal.

Imagine if there were three pre-made variations per character set up by NRS, but none of Scorpion's had the misery blade.

I need to see all the abilities first before I'll know how I feel. Like Liu Kang having an overhead/low mixup of a teleport seemed crazy to me. If some abilities are broken will they be ruled out of competitive?

Agilaz

It has begun
In favour of allowing custom variations in ranked.

Aa for tournaments, unless NRS decides to go all-in and add the necessary infrastructure for it, it'll probably end up being at the TO's discretion.

I'd prefer preset variations although I dislike the entire system and prefer individual complete characters with a bunch of moves at their disposal.
Regards of preference we should wait for the competitive announcement. Their obviously working on some kind answer

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
Does anybody know how many abilities characters will have? I really don’t think balancing the game would be difficult at all with the selection available in the beta. Perhaps if there are 100s of ability option, but since the game is so neutral based the abilities don’t seem to affect balance that much. JMO

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Does anybody know how many abilities characters will have? I really don’t think balancing the game would be difficult at all with the selection available in the beta. Perhaps if there are 100s of ability option, but since the game is so neutral based the abilities don’t seem to affect balance that much. JMO
10-11. And they are not locked. What characters have in the beta is almost certainly what will be available in the final product.

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
10-11. And they are not locked. What characters have in the beta is almost certainly what will be available in the final product.
Well geez I’d think that’s doable. Although I will say that I was able to find a midscreen 1-bar combo w Kabal that does up to 400 without any Krushing blows. (j2 or j3) (starter)xxdb2MB (juggle)xxbf3 (juggle)xxdb3. I’d imagine that probably isn’t what they’d want, but he is a generally unsafe character so maybe it’s ok. I’m very interested tho as they have avoided discussing competitive so they must be cooking something up

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Having played the stress test and beta, I can honestly say that this game will feel gutted without custom variations.

They're at the heart of the experience. Taking them out would be as much of a blow to mk11 as reducing every character to 1 variation from 3 would have been in MKX.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Same. I thought Custom Variations would never work, but after seeing it AND playing around with it, I think it really could. I wouldn't mind it being competitively legal.

I doubt it will happen, though. Ed mentioned how the system wouldn't interest competitive players and they will be making "three regulated variations" for them instead. NRS hasn't officially announced how competitive play will work at all, and while I could be wrong, I'm not really getting a good feeling from that. I wouldn't be surprised if there are certain moves in custom variations that will not be in competitive variations at all.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I fully believe it's what they are going for, they just don't have the UI ready to show yet.
The way they all talk about custom variations on stream and the way everything is balanced, it just absolutely feels like it's the intended way to play the game.

I will be shocked if they don't allow it.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Having played the stress test and beta, I can honestly say that this game will feel gutted without custom variations.

They're at the heart of the experience. Taking them out would be as much of a blow to mk11 as reducing every character to 1 variation from 3 would have been in MKX.
Plus, how would customizing characters work? Skins, gear, etc, are tied to custom variations. You have to create or edit a loadout to be able to use them.

The whole point of MK11 is being able to make YOUR version of your favorite MK fighters. They have said this multiple times. Not being able to choose your moves, or maybe even your cosmetics, when that's the very thing they have been pushing would be such a let down. I don't want this to be like Injustice 2 where there were loadouts you couldn't even use in competitive play. I'm really tired of that shit.

Based off of things said in the past, it seems there will be competitively regulated variations, though. I'm kinda worried and wish NRS would address this already CONSIDERING THE GAME IS OUT IN LESS THAN A MONTH AND I PRE-ORDERED AND I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT'S UP.

NRS' silence is getting frustrating, to be honest.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Really hope customs make it in to ranked/tourny, be disappointed if they didnt, it so cool. So many more layers to a character with it. Plus be cool for future if new moves got added or whatever cough baraka spin cough ;p

In tournament mode, a mini layout with picture icons of the abilities you want to equip should pop up after selecting a character. I think it'd be nice if the announcer pronounce the name of each abilities the same way they do with the characters.

I think adding the picture icons under the health bar would either take to much space or be too small for them to be noticeable but it would be an added bonus if NRS can make it work.

All of this and a one minute timer for the player who chose to go to the character select screen at the end of a match would fix most issues, if they don't choose the character and its abilities during that time then the character they were using previously gets chosen automatically and they're not allowed to go back.

If a minute feels like it's too long then make it 45 or 30 seconds, allow the timer to be customizable in the option menu tournament mode tab.

Last edited:
What about a little 3 digit number selector where you select 1st digit, move dpad up or down to change the number, then move to 2nd digit and 3rd. All kustom moves should get an id. Each subsequent digit needs to be a higher number.

Let's say Misery Blade is 4, Demon Dash is 2. You would select Scorpion then the little dial will come up and you dial in 2,4. After you dial each digit, the icon and maybe the name of the move should be displayed for your confirmation AND so your opponent knows what they're dealing with. It wouldn't take long at all. Plus, it would make for easy communication. "Tom Brady is going with Sub Zero two six, versus ForeverKing's Kung Lao one three".

At this point I hope custom variations are the official standard, which can be balanced easily enough via move compatibility or cost. Plus, with how much NRS's promotional material is touting the "all new custom variation system," it would be kind of bullshit if this weren't the case.