What's new

Kustom Variation Math: Refuting Popular Claims

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Stfu, this community goes bust before there’s even a sequel.
This community is never bust. The Marvel community has no representation in tournament right now, and none for the forseable future. You can't compare that to people taking a couple months off from competiting before going full in when the next game comes out.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Maybe that's something for the TO to work out. Large icons on the loading screen would probably be best, however. I don't think it needs to be displayed over the whole match.

Two other points.

1. It was kind of cheap for NRS to tease all these cool moves during the Kombat Kasts and then most of them aren't even tournament legal.

2. We wouldn't even be having these discussions if NRS just ditched the variation system and gave us complete characters with full move lists. Or at the very least, each character had two good variations (and there were no left over casual only moves) that fulfilled different purposes. The problem is the vast majority of the cast only has one good variation, if that. Hell, does anyone really have two good variations? Maybe Jax, Baraka, and Kabal?
They can definitely work something out, being able to select moves right on the char select screen would be the most efficient way of doing it.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
This community is never bust. The Marvel community has no representation in tournament right now, and none for the forseable future. You can't compare that to people taking a couple months off from competiting before going full in when the next game comes out.
That’s because they don’t have a game now, bud. Capcom putting out a trash sequel after that long and then giving up on it entirely is no fault of the community’s, you shill.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
That’s because they don’t have a game now, bud. Capcom putting out a trash sequel after that long and then giving up on it entirely is no fault of the community’s, you shill.
They do have a game -- they just don't like it. And Capcom gave up on their previous game too -- notoriously so -- so that's not really a good excuse.

You have communities like Smash that pushed through when Brawl wasn't everyone's cup of tea. And then you have the Marvel community. Which might be dead for good, or close to it.

I’m surprised that nobody has pointed this out yet, but UMvC3 doesn’t have a reputation as being all that well balanced.

I want customs to be made tourney legal, and I believe that customisation could help to balance character out as different combinations could be used to counterpick the dominant builds that arise, but it’s not accurate to say that ‘if Capcom balanced 100k combinations, NRS can balance 2.5k combinations’, because as I understand it, Capcom failed at balancing that particular roster.
MK11 variations have a lot of tools for balance. The way they are configured, it will be very obvious via NRS' analytics if a particular ability is causing problems, a combination of abilities is causing problems, whatever. Then they can target either specific properties of a ability or have that ability exclude another that is causing issues. I feel like the balance concerns are really not going to be as big of a problem as some might think. In fact more access to variation abilities should help some characters who are under-performing.

It feels so inevitable that NRS is going to make this change EVENTUALLY but it reads like they wanted to keep tournament variations for the first hectic couple months of release, one less potential problem to deal with.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Only concerns about kustom variations becoming standard:

1. Balance - It's a pretty well balanced game, how much will opening up kustom variations change?

2. Counter picking - Will the system encourage players to counter pick with different variation loadouts, in an undesirable way? Will certain loadouts be so optimal as to actually reduce character variety in some cases?

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Nice argument, although I wonder if there's a difference in balance expectations for a game like UMvC3 which came out in late 2011 compared to a game that comes out in 2019. It's possible Marvel was a unique situation.

I think the pro's outweigh the con's when it comes to letting customs rock in tournament, but if people really want this then they're going to have to be ok with OP variations popping up from time to time, and with Top 8's that end up featuring a lot of the same character using the same move selections.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
They do have a game -- they just don't like it. And Capcom gave up on their previous game too -- notoriously so -- so that's not really a good excuse.

You have communities like Smash that pushed through when Brawl wasn't everyone's cup of tea. And then you have the Marvel community. Which might be dead for good, or close to it.
If you think they wouldn't still be playing MvC3 had that whole MvCi debacle not occurred I don't know what to tell you. And it's besides the point anyway, MvC3 was as popular as a game gets and lasted years and years, as did MvC2 before it, so your whole argument is baseless. Especially when you claim they were only as popular as they were because they're Capcom games in one breath while acknowledging how MvCi didn't last at all despite being a Capcom game of the same series in the next breath.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I’m surprised that nobody has pointed this out yet, but UMvC3 doesn’t have a reputation as being all that well balanced.

I want customs to be made tourney legal, and I believe that customisation could help to balance character out as different combinations could be used to counterpick the dominant builds that arise, but it’s not accurate to say that ‘if Capcom balanced 100k combinations, NRS can balance 2.5k combinations’, because as I understand it, Capcom failed at balancing that particular roster.
People have. It was one of my arguments in favor of Kustom variations pre-release. But it was in response to the time concerns, saying Kustoms would take too long for tournaments. I didn’t make the argument in relation to balance because most people against Kustoms reasoning was time constraints.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Only concerns about kustom variations becoming standard:

1. Balance - It's a pretty well balanced game, how much will opening up kustom variations change?

2. Counter picking - Will the system encourage players to counter pick with different variation loadouts, in an undesirable way? Will certain loadouts be so optimal as to actually reduce character variety in some cases?
Here we go with the weak ass BALANCE argument again....

1) NRS already proved through the beta that Custom variations had a great balance for each character by giving risks and slots to moves. Risks as in taking out one of each character's main move for the custom move. And with some taking more than 1 slot, it became more strategic to what to add. Playing the beta and stress test proved that plan was genius and it worked beautifully!

2) Countpicking....Ummm have you played online yet? PEOPLE ALREADY COUNTERPICK LIKE CRAZY! People are gonna do that shit anyways regardless w/ customs or not. Thats just how ppl play NRS games apparently.

Point blank....this current system we have is already stale as fuck w/ these whack ass tournament variations. Customs will bring so much more depth in learning each character and making EVERYBODY viable. If you want to keep these tournament variations, then be prepared for a game that will burn out before its 2 year mark. We're ONLY in week 3 and im just about burned out w/ these current variations my damn self. Just keeping it all the way live.

Matix218

Get over here!
Maybe that's something for the TO to work out. Large icons on the loading screen would probably be best, however. I don't think it needs to be displayed over the whole match.

Two other points.

1. It was kind of cheap for NRS to tease all these cool moves during the Kombat Kasts and then most of them aren't even tournament legal.

2. We wouldn't even be having these discussions if NRS just ditched the variation system and gave us complete characters with full move lists. Or at the very least, each character had two good variations (and there were no left over casual only moves) that fulfilled different purposes. The problem is the vast majority of the cast only has one good variation, if that. Hell, does anyone really have two good variations? Maybe Jax, Baraka, and Kabal?
Scorpion has 2 good variations as well

People have. It was one of my arguments in favor of Kustom variations pre-release. But it was in response to the time concerns, saying Kustoms would take too long for tournaments. I didn’t make the argument in relation to balance because most people against Kustoms reasoning was time constraints.
I meant in this thread

I think this is actually a positive -- almost like a CCG or a strategy game, adds another meta layer to the choice being made. There are already characters who counter other characters. Different loadouts for different types of matchups in the same way. If there appears to be oppressive abilities against certain characters it will manifest very quickly and be addressed.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Here we go with the weak ass BALANCE argument again....

1) NRS already proved through the beta that Custom variations had a great balance for each character by giving risks and slots to moves. Risks as in taking out one of each character's main move for the custom move. And with some taking more than 1 slot, it became more strategic to what to add. Playing the beta and stress test proved that plan was genius and it worked beautifully!

2) Countpicking....Ummm have you played online yet? PEOPLE ALREADY COUNTERPICK LIKE CRAZY! People are gonna do that shit anyways regardless w/ customs or not. Thats just how ppl play NRS games apparently.

Point blank....this current system we have is already stale as fuck w/ these whack ass tournament variations. Customs will bring so much more depth in learning each character and making EVERYBODY viable. If you want to keep these tournament variations, then be prepared for a game that will burn out before its 2 year mark. We're ONLY in week 3 and im just about burned out w/ these current variations my damn self. Just keeping it all the way live.
1. The beta had 5 characters so it could only be so unbalanced but we saw ridiculous loadouts from Kabal and Scorpion do a ton of work with Misery Blade. Parse that out over the whole game and no man, the balance will be dramatically different. The argument doesn't need to be made, it's obvious that this creates balance concerns compared to the tournament variations. It was the whole point of tourney variations in the first place.

2. That's not my experience playing MK11 at all. People will counterpick regardless, but if I can change one move in my loadout then you will see more people changing loadouts after losses.

You might not know this Beezy but but I'm one of the biggest advocates for kustom variations and have been since a day into the beta. I'm just being real.

I think this is actually a positive -- almost like a CCG or a strategy game, adds another meta layer to the choice being made. There are already characters who counter other characters. Different loadouts for different types of matchups in the same way. If there appears to be oppressive abilities against certain characters it will manifest very quickly and be addressed.
I can't say it would be bad without actually playing it but I like to feel like I have one character and not have to switch loadouts or supers to adjust for matchups, I'd rather just try to make what they give us work. I really like Frost-Byte Frost's Cryo Crown, and in Kustom variations I might constantly switch the third move slot with a move that benefits my matchup instead of just dealing with it. That said, with kustom variations, the mind set may become less, "I have to switch characters to another variation" and more, "I'm going to slightly adjust my main's loadout" which could be cool.

Last edited:

MK9

Noob
Sorry but I will never see it fair that you can add a move to counter my characters strong point , plus I still have to deal with that characters strong point.

Example kabal should never be allowed to add an air projectile.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.

I'm starting to think balance is a pipe dream anyway. I'm ok with low and high tiers. And I don't want to sacrifice creativity for the mythos of balance.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
1. The beta had 5 characters so it could only be so unbalanced but we saw ridiculous loadouts from Kabal and Scorpion do a ton of work with Misery Blade. Parse that out over the whole game and no man, the balance will be dramatically different. The argument doesn't need to be made, it's obvious that this creates balance concerns compared to the tournament variations. It was the whole point of tourney variations in the first place.

2. That's not my experience playing MK11 at all. People will counterpick regardless, but if I can change one move in my loadout then you will see more people changing loadouts after losses.

You might not know this Beezy but but I'm one of the biggest advocates for kustom variations and have been since a day into the beta. I'm just being real.
First off, Scorpion and Kabal are already ridiculous characters as it is. But i did not consider them being super OP due to the Custom variation because theres always an answer with complete creativity on making ANY character fit your archetype. If your problem is counterpicking another loadout, thats a minor price to pay for everybody being GREAT w/ Custom Variations. I appreciate you being real, but i keeps it ALL THE WAY LIVE and imma tell you, there's ways to making this work. Instead of finding problems, find solutions to this greater cause because this game NEEDS Custom Variations BADLY!

I'm starting to think balance is a pipe dream anyway. I'm ok with low and high tiers. And I don't want to sacrifice creativity for the mythos of balance.
I think the best you can hope for is something along the lines of Tekken 7 or SFV:AE, where the characters are divided into tiers, but the gaps between the tiers are much closer than other games. Both of those games have their top tiers, but there’s a wide variety of characters in tournaments compared to some older games, like the aforementioned UMVC3 or 3S.

It's not a pipe dream, but it depends on your goals. Generally video game players at large seem to think that "balance" is where everything fits into a very narrow band of power (or basically "equal" as players like to demand). This isn't always realistic or possible depending on the design/genre. There's enough intrinsic asymmetry in fighting games, and MK in particular, that it's not possible to achieve without severely homogenizing character design. That's why tier lists are a popular tool for understanding fighting games in the community.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I think the best you can hope for is something along the lines of Tekken 7 or SFV:AE, where the characters are divided into tiers, but the gaps between the tiers are much closer than other games. Both of those games have their top tiers, but there’s a wide variety of characters in tournaments compared to some older games, like the aforementioned UMVC3 or 3S.
Tekken 7 is more accurate. SFV is a horrible comparison lol

Tekken 7 is more accurate. SFV is a horrible comparison lol
I’ve got a lot of experience with SFV. Despite a few outliers, the game is very well balanced in its current iteration. I’ve found that most characters can find answers to most situations if labbed, and a lot of moves that seem overpowered have built in weaknesses. The issue is often that you need to look at the notes in frame data apps to find these weaknesses, you’re not likely to stumble across the answers mid match.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
We should never, ever, use UMvC3 as an argument for game balance.

That game was as broken and wildly unbalanced as it gets. If it wasn't a Capcom game it'd have died far sooner than it did. As soon as there was a sequel, that community completely went bust.

We already had a game in this community that was balanced like that (IGAU) and we know exactly what happens when that takes place. The Marvel 2/3 method of balance ("Ehh it's broke, who cares") absolutely will not work for us.

By making this thread you're ironically helping the argument of the people you were trying to argue against.
Ironic considering you constantly bitch about NRS players dropping the old title for the new one when Umvc3 is still being run in tournaments over MVCI like 7 years later. I dislike the everyone's broke philosophy, but UMVC3 proves that people will still play those types of games for a very long time. If you go to any tournament that doesn't have UMVC3 as a main game there is a side tournament for it. Can't say the same about Injustice 2, which was supposedly the most balanced NRS game yet.

My problem with Kustom Variations right now is logistics. There is currently no way to create kustom variations on the character select screen so every match would have to have people going back to the menu which could add up with all the NRS button check shenanigans. Plus there have to be rules in place to prevent stalling or trying to create a variation for 10 minutes off the cuff. Will there be a time limit? How will that be enforced over 7-8 different setups? What will be the rules if someone wins a match, will they be able to change their variation? With the UMVC3 example the characters were still all on the character select screen and the team building system was quick and easy, kustom variations are not. That is the biggest obstacle to kustom variations, not balance.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Ironic considering you constantly bitch about NRS players dropping the old title for the new one when Umvc3 is still being run in tournaments over MVCI like 7 years later. I dislike the everyone's broke philosophy, but UMVC3 proves that people will still play those types of games for a very long time. If you go to any tournament that doesn't have UMVC3 as a main game there is a side tournament for it. Can't say the same about Injustice 2, which was supposedly the most balanced NRS game yet.
I think you've confused me with someone else. Can you quote where I bitch about dropping our game for a new title? I'm the one who always said it was a natural part of the release cycle of NRS games.

And by 'always' I mean at least 6-7 continuous years, from the end of MK9 through now.