What's new

General/Other - Tempest Kung Lao Tempest Variation General Discussion

coolwhip

Noob
4~hat spin 44 is a stance specific combo. I haven't tested it out against all characters but against the few characters I tested this on, the first 4 in the 44 was whiffing in one stance.

mrtom

Noob
You can do spin 4 xx hat spin anywhere on screen, you just need to step forward first. Pretty nice reversal punish:

-spin step forward, 4 xx db1, b321 xx df1(ex), njp, d2 (38%) might need to run after njp for d2 to connect

-spin step forward, 4 xx db1, b321 xx df1(ex), njp, jk-dk (37%)

GS_Zodiac

Determined to make a name for the mid-west
What's the largest damage anyone has ever found in the corner with tempest for 1 meter?

You can do spin 4 xx hat spin anywhere on screen, you just need to step forward first. Pretty nice reversal punish:

-spin step forward, 4 xx db1, b321 xx df1(ex), njp, d2 (38%) might need to run after njp for d2 to connect

Oh step forward, that was what I was missing to make this work. Good find!

GS_Zodiac

Determined to make a name for the mid-west

I looked around and I didn't see it so I'm just gonna go ahead and post it. 50% corner combo into a hard knockdown so you can get a hat setup afterwards. Not sure how viable it is since it starts with a high and can be ducked.

Notation in the description

coolwhip

Noob

I looked around and I didn't see it so I'm just gonna go ahead and post it. 50% corner combo into a hard knockdown so you can get a hat setup afterwards. Not sure how viable it is since it starts with a high and can be ducked.

Notation in the description
Keep in mind 4~hat spin is stance specific. The hat spin will whiff (even on hit) if you're not both in the same stance.

mrtom

Noob
Only grief I have is connecting that 4 after the orbiting hat. It's sooo painful getting it blocked and then getting punished with armor. Not only do you miss a 50% combo but then you lose some life yourself
After hat spin yoy can also use f23 xx df1 for 35-40%. Still nice damage and much easier, especially online.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
When you do a d4 in the neutral, most decent players will try and counter poke with a string or poke. The orbiting hat will hit them and you will get a free combo
thx. I dont see an organized living guide. Does he have any lows in tempest to get u to duck besides f23?

EOTL

thx. I dont see an organized living guide. Does he have any lows in tempest to get u to duck besides f23?
You shouldn't be using f23 except to punish. f23 can't be hit confirmed and has a space between the two hits to be armored. If you really want them to duck then you'll have to d3. Its an ok d3 from range but not the best.

Imo Kung Lao is more about clever neutral. You can use hats tosses sparingly to encourage approaching. Cyclone is a completely unbeatable anti air. Teleport and divekick can help against zoning. Divekick and f23 can whiff punish. b321 is a great rekka string which is safe at every hit and can be used to do tick throws. 11212 starts high but has a similar purpose. Both strings are hit confirmable and you can frame trap people with cancels into hatspin for a combo.

You shouldn't be using f23 except to punish. f23 can't be hit confirmed and has a space between the two hits to be armored. If you really want them to duck then you'll have to d3. Its an ok d3 from range but not the best.

Imo Kung Lao is more about clever neutral. You can use hats tosses sparingly to encourage approaching. Cyclone is a completely unbeatable anti air. Teleport and divekick can help against zoning. Divekick and f23 can whiff punish. b321 is a great rekka string which is safe at every hit and can be used to do tick throws. 11212 starts high but has a similar purpose. Both strings are hit confirmable and you can frame trap people with cancels into hatspin for a combo.[/QUOTE
f23 is hitconfirmable

EOTL

I don't think you can hit confirm f23.

In the context of what he was saying as a low option you can't hit confirm the second hit. You also can't hitconfirm the first hit alone which you'll need to do if they meter for armour.

I suppose in tempest if they have no meter you can f23~db1 on either hit block but I don't believe you can hit confirm different options on hit on block I.e in buzz saw spin on hit and low hat on block.

I don't think you can hit confirm f23.

In the context of what he was saying as a low option you can't hit confirm the second hit. You also can't hitconfirm the first hit alone which you'll need to do if they meter for armour.

I suppose in tempest if they have no meter you can f23~db1 on either hit block but I don't believe you can hit confirm different options on hit on block I.e in buzz saw spin on hit and low hat on block.
You won't be hitting good people with just the second hit of f23. F23 is pretty fast and has crazy range and is the reason why people would get hit by it and not because of the low.

Kung Lmao

The Great Kung Lmao of Rofl Land

Wow awesome combo :) I still didn't knew how to do a proper spin punish! I love this one 10/10, something I will be using a lot from now on.

Kung Lmao

The Great Kung Lmao of Rofl Land
JP, B12 HSpin, B12 Spin, Jk-Dk, B321 EX Spin, NJP, Jk-Dk 38%
F21 HSpin, B12 Spin,Jk-Dk, B321 EX Spin, NJP, Jk-Dk 38%

Ok guys, why I post this vid is.. cause I think the first combo with JP is a very very easy to do Hat Spin combo for beginners (like myself :)). Doing Iron Broom (B12) after Hat Spin is 100% easier than anything else I have tried so far.

IMO it's a good combo to begin practicing Hat Spin moves with but for complete beginners

Last edited: