What's new

Match-up Discussion Kung Lao Matchup Discussion Thread

gr8one06

STB Black Belt
Kung lao vs cage is 4-6?

LOL. What a joke. Kung lao is the only character in the game than can punish cages block strings without some sort of armor. Kung lao forces cage to jump with his safe low hat strings that are not only safe, but build retarded amounts of meter for his xray which punishes you into a 50%+ combo, which happens to be un-punishable on block. If you block, you're eating hardcore chip and letting him build hardcore meter, if you jump, you get spun on reaction into a 30%+ combo that knocks you away from him so you're forced to try to get in again. One guess spin completely destroys your pressure. One wrong guess on a d1 and you're eating spin or x-ray. Your best wakeup is punished for free against lao, one of the few characters that can.

Granted, johnny cage is good up close, and it can give kung lao SOME problems, but oh no, god forbid that happens! I swear, the MK community wants a win button, they don't want to level up their game at all. If you have an unfavorable matchup or a matchup you don't know, kung lao is automatically not high tier or the other character is broken? Lmao...Honestly, Kung lao has no bad matchups as far as I am concerned. Safe strings into low hat for a bar of meter, completely safe pressure into guessing situations, he has every single option available to him, a 6 frame "get out of jail free" punisher, great low attacks, low starters, half screen roll thats safe and can be canceled into a special Herp a derp combos into over 30% each. Best xray in the game. Yet people wanna nerf mileena for down fucking 4? Lmao....I swear this community is a joke. Thats why you guys get laughed at all the time, and thats why its considered a joke to most outside the community. Its not the game, there have been shitter games taken more seriously, its the community.

Teleport isn't that useful of a tool from what I can tell, he doesn't even fucking need it, zoners are scared to zone him, rushers are scared to rush, turtlers are scared to turtle. You are afraid to do really anything because he has every option available to him, and probably out preforms you at said area. Don't jump, don't crouch, don't stand block, don't low block, don't zone, don't rush, don't wakeup. He has the best answers in the game for every single one of those options, and out plays the entire cast on almost every entire level. Kitana and Kabal are not a bad matchup for him.

Kitana- She can punish spin hard, big deal, good laos aren't going to throw out spin like that, they use it to AA more than anything. She throws fans all day and you can't get in? ... bullshit, just because you try to spam teleport and and lose doesn't mean he can't get in. Same situation with kabal. God forbid kung lao has to play normal for once and actually think to get in...wowwww must be a bad matchup. I give it 5-5 at best.

I see all this shit about nerfing this and buffing that, but you're keeping this piece of crap character the same, which is more or less completely ruining the game and INTELLIGENT peoples outlook on it. I'm not talking about casual players who know nothing about fighting game mechanics at all, and are just mk fans who happen to play the game online/offline. I'm talking about people who know how shitty that crap is, and how absurd it is compared to the rest of the casts options, then sit here on Testyourscrub.com and look at posts enabling kung lao, by people with fucking kung lao avatars...are you serious??

I would be happy as hell if my character was broken too, but lets get real for fucking once, and stand up against shit like this instead of crying about mileenas d4 which you can't jump punch and when it hits you leads to 3%. Uh...you can't jump in on lao or you're eating a 6 frame reaction spin into 30%+ but thats fine? Seriously, remove the head from your asses.
this > 1 frame link means Cage = Kung Lao

- gr8one06, STB

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
@Sao:

._.

4-button plink.

???

PROFITZ! >:|

And it's fierce, not strong. :D

Theme

Noob
Okay another dumb question from THEME!

I dont understand the charts and what the numbers mean. What does 8-2 mean etc?? Like Im not really understanding it, can someone explain? :( Fail on my part I know.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
@Sao:

._.

4-button plink.

???

PROFITZ! >:|

And it's fierce, not strong. :D
Lol, you are right. I definitely plink.

Wow you saw JOP do the knee, slap, jab pressure into 3rd place at Evo. I don't know why you guys think this shit is impossible. Hit training mode and after an hour you will change your minds.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Okay another dumb question from THEME!

I dont understand the charts and what the numbers mean. What does 8-2 mean etc?? Like Im not really understanding it, can someone explain? :( Fail on my part I know.
It means if x char vs x char were to play ten matches and both characters were played to the best of their ability the outcome would look like x-x. At least thats the theory behind match up charts. The harder the scale tips in a characters favor the more likely they are to win.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Where was this confirmed that crouch blocking leads to recovering more quickly?
I give up... Just hit training mode, and do some self discovery. Do we really need Reo or Tom Brady to stroll into every thread and confirm things before people accept the truth.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
ssf4 abel, step kick to standing strong is a one frame link and you can't use the character without being able to link that.
wait ...i though Standing weak into cr.FK was 1 framer :S....or far range Jab into step kick is a 1 framer :S

step kick into close fierce is not a 1 framer!! as far as i remember. or else, it's so easy that u dont even need to plink/paino input! :S

am so rusty with my knowledge in SF4 that i have to get back to the game. though, i am pretty sure step kick into standing fierce is aint a 1 framer...it's so easy.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Either way, Vega c.LP links >>>>>>>> any other link in SFIV. 1-frame unplinkable, unchainable links for hitconfirms ftw!

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
wait ...i though Standing weak into cr.FK was 1 framer :S....or far range Jab into step kick is a 1 framer :S

step kick into close fierce is not a 1 framer!! as far as i remember. or else, it's so easy that u dont even need to plink/paino input! :S

am so rusty with my knowledge in SF4 that i have to get back to the game. though, i am pretty sure step kick into standing fierce is aint a 1 framer...it's so easy.
Not to derail the thread but Juice Box taught me how to play Abel personally, It's definitely a one frame link. If that link is easy for you then maybe you should think about playing Cage who also has easy 1 frame links!

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Not to derail the thread but Juice Box taught me how to play Abel personally, It's definitely a one frame link. If that link is easy for you then maybe you should think about playing Cage who also has easy 1 frame links!
Is this a part of sarcasm? alright so you show off that your been TRAINED by a known figure and then mock me?
seriously this is the third time u act like a fuckin dep shit to me for no reason :S, ON MKU chat and on stream! so dont think your something that much cause beside the bracket of forums or games, u are seriously nothing but a pure Amusement and fun to my use to spend my free time...

anyways, i've been playing Fighting games and competing in fighting games all over the world since i was 14....now i am turning 27!
so before you even grew pair, i was already surpassing you with my fighting game/video games skills and knowledge....i shall remind myself to always put you on ignore from now on

dont miss with Fighting game masters, stick to ur faceroll kung and cage, and dont forget to go cry more about how OP reptile is.
Shame if your in Crazy 88 as well....Awsm personality i shall say!

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
no not just Kung lao. basically the whole forum. these forums are ruined by teenagers. anybody like to say any shit, every kid think he's the shit...a lot of endless possibilities. a fucked up childish generation i swear.it's wrong of me to be a part of this, and that i become a part of a childish acts like responding to childish acts and flames, meaningless insults, show off, Pure curse and swearing just for the amusement of the writer JUST because his momy and dady doesnt know what he does in his life on a CPU....etc. Seriously....get a life if you dont have one.

and yet, i still dont know why i keep on tryin to participate or help in such a Community.so it's partially my fault for not controlling my self and still insisting in joining a group of people who doesnt even fit my age or mentality.Degrading my life standard and video game knowledge to join such talks and write ups, that at the end leads to nothing but stupid Fucked up childish new generation mentality...so ya their ya go! i am actually backing out from the forums here again! i dont know why i did put myself back into this in the first place AGAIN. not cool

PS: BEHOLD the trolls who will mock this post!! over and over... endless hail

EDIT: tyrant rave....Guilty gear huh? i like your BB icon too :p

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Lol, you are right. I definitely plink.

Wow you saw JOP do the knee, slap, jab pressure into 3rd place at Evo. I don't know why you guys think this shit is impossible. Hit training mode and after an hour you will change your minds.
No one thinks that is impossible.
Problem is that Kung Lao has tons of weapons he can use against Cage that you are not listing. No way this matchup is 4-6.

1 mistake from Kung Lao vs Mileena -20% or something like that averagely to Kung Lao but if Kung Lao gets mileena she is lucky to get out alive of the continous hits/pressure and often leads to a 40% combos... not mentioning at wall...

DanCock

Cock Master!!
also im not sure if this is how i should be doing this but idk LOL

ill edit this post if there are any buffs or nerfs to either character in the future.

VS Kung Lao

to me this match up is anything she can do HE CAN DO BETTER.

1 = Kung Lao
2 = Sindel

Anti air
1 ~ no timing required from behind, front everywhere else.
2 ~ many anti air options, but each require perfect timing and perfect distance, which if missed causes her to get smacked around by full combos

+1 to lao

Armor

1 ~ he has one armor move
2 ~ no armor

+1 to lao

safe jump

1 ~ low hat hit
2 ~ none

+1 to lao

Combo into pop up/ stun special on the ground

1 ~ many ways to combo into spin
2 ~ one way to combo into scream 2 then :en scream. this burns one meter and doesnt lead into good damage so the meter waste isnt worth it. theres no reason why he can do a low attack into a spin move and she cant.. example 2,1 ~ scream

+1 to lao

:Xray

1 ~ hits in the mid area and is a great anti air
2 ~ hits low, but can be low poked out of.. and wont hit a person if they are cross jumping. so hers works like jax and kanos but theirs are guaranteed hits on the ground where hers is just a 50/50

+1 to lao

:xray part 2

1 ~ can be comboed into and out of leading to easy damage over 40%. and a simple naked xray and uppercut =40% so his xrayis a guaranteed 40% xray
2 ~ a low hitting xray that may or may not hit depending on what her foe is doing and only does 31% damage. on top of that if its in a combo it adds maybe 10% to that combo.. ON top of that if a combo is started with b+1,2 then b+1 into xray it ONLY DOES 27 % THE XRAY COMBO DOES LESS THEN A NAKED XRAY WHAT THE FUCK ?????????? :confused:

+1 to lao

upclose pressure

1 ~ 2,4 low hat or 2,4 1+2. good upclose pressure thats very hard to poke him out of because of the + frames he gets. or the 21212 whatever combo that does like 10% chip WTF ???? 11 low hat. b+33 low hat or spin. he has all kinds of options.
2 ~ 1 and 1,1 hmmm 1 some times whiffs, so if 1 whiffs the 2nd 1 can be poked out of. this pressure leads to +1 frame but her foe can still get away and not worry about much pressure upclose or they can start their upclose pressure AND she doesnt want to be upclose to begin with LOL 2,1 and 4,4 the second hits of both she can be poked out of. however if they dont poke she gets 50/50/scream mix up especially with Blocked 4,4 into fireball.

hmmmmmmmm i guess we'll call it even -_- 0

wake up

1 ~ spin = best wake up punish upclose. teleport
2 ~ 50/50 wake up option and scream HOWEVER each attack can be cross over jump punched out of. you have to burn meter for the low fireball since the regular low fireball wake up is sketchy i cant say for sure but im guessing the :en low fireball has more invincibilty frames. :en low fireball = arguably the best full screen wake up punish???

even

full screen punish

1 ~ dive kick or teleport + 1,2,3,4
2 ~ flight ~ IAF this area she is better but her punish is just 8 % where his can lead to over 25%.. but hers is pretty much safe where he can be punished.

+1 sindel

Ok heres the main issue with this match up which puts it in Laos favor not only is he better at doing everything then her but her best tool the full screen zoning fireball pressure he CAN punish her hardcore with his teleport due to his teleport going upwards while her fireballs goes diagonally down. so if Sindel even tries to use her best tool he can freely punish her with full combos that lead to well over 25% add xray and were talking over 40%. so sindel doing a 2% chip damage=8% if it hits fireball could then lead to her being punished with over 25% combos.. O_O so then this makes the sindel player have to try her other options BUT HE CAN DO ANYTHING SHE CAN DO BETTER.

thats why this match up is 8-2 in Kung laos favor..

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Why is the Baraka match up so far in Lao's favor? Enlighten me cause I just got zoned by a Baraka player.
How is it possible for baraka to zone any character? He's a rush down character. Does he have any good zoning abilities ?? His fireball is as weak as jax's.

Weird.

---
- Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

How is it possible for baraka to zone any character? He's a rush down character. Does he have any good zoning abilities ?? His fireball is as weak as jax's.

Weird.

---

I'm glad you asked ok this is how the match went.

I dive Kick he blocks and punishes I obviously deserved that for having such Laosy Hubris

Then I step back and begin throwing hats. He trades the 7 damage hats for his surprisingly fast 8 damage projectile

So I go for another timed dive kick I eat a chop chop for 19%

I get in and mix him up, He armors through with Ex bladecharge

Then he tosses a spark as I get up.

So the match went as such, Teleporting was met with him Chop chopping me for a 19% trade

Hat tosses were traded with a Blade spark whenever he had zoning advantage.

He would pop me with well timed random blade charges which would stop teleport attempts, hat tosses, roll, punishes spin, and have my antsy in anticipation for his next move! Also he refused jump ins a la Milenna with D4 and when he could anti air chop chop for 19 damage.

You aren't giving Baraka enough credit is all I'm trying to point out. It seems this is how to beat Lao.

You have to keep trades in your favor and punish the low hat however you can.

Kung Lao vs Baraka

6-4 at worse no where near a 7-3. If you say otherwise you just haven't met a good Baraka.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Interesting, I'll have to check baraka out more. I have no clue about the actual baraka vs Lao match up. I just know the sindel vs baraka. He can't zone her at all.

Good info though. I wonder does his chop chop track?

---

xTHUGx

Noob
Funny because I met this dude on xbox live who's gamertag had the name "Baraka" in it and also had some really good w/l so I immediately thought that was his main and I chose kung lao and was just in his face not letting him do anything. Sadly, he declined the next game after he lost 1 time.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
I no longer think Kung Lao beats Sub-Zero. I think it's a 5-5. Considering some of Sub's toughest matchups are only 4-6 or close to 5-5 (Kitana for example), there's no way Kung Lao is as bad as that. Kung Lao is much easier to play against as Sub-Zero than Kitana.

I cant believe someone got zoned by Baraka using Kung Lao. Barakas normals are sloooooow, all you have to do it get in his face and he's dead LOL.