What's new

Kung Lao Competitive Discussion

KutlessMyth

mental and fundamental
is it just me or is the 21212 df1 input require you to be way too fast to possibly hit confirm for df1?

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
is it just me or is the 21212 df1 input require you to be way too fast to possibly hit confirm for df1?
No way, you have like a year to hit confirm that string. Just input 21212 as fast as possible then wait. Don't press ANY other buttons. By the time Lao is doing the last 5 rapid punches you can confirm if they are hitting and press df1.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Kung Lao is better then most ppl think, especially hattrick variation. Even tough he doesnt have to big dmg combos he still can do alot of dmg. Every hit is +300 dmg, F1 is godlike. His strings arent as bad as they tend to be. Even his so called bad 21212 string is really good, just have to know how to use it, dont just use it everytime ur close, use it from sweepdistance if u dont want to get mashed in the face with d2.

Even his so called bad 21212 string is really good, just have to know how to use it, dont just use it everytime ur close, use it from sweepdistance if u dont want to get mashed in the face with d2.
interesting

so far i've only used this string for punishing, fearing to get d2 krushing blow'd into a 40% combo in any other situation

gonna try that, thanks

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
Kung Lao is better then most ppl think, especially hattrick variation. Even tough he doesnt have to big dmg combos he still can do alot of dmg. Every hit is +300 dmg, F1 is godlike. His strings arent as bad as they tend to be. Even his so called bad 21212 string is really good, just have to know how to use it, dont just use it everytime ur close, use it from sweepdistance if u dont want to get mashed in the face with d2.
Shhhh

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I just use the Erron Black method since he has a similar notation with his double overhead string.

211,1+2
I'm surprised that worked!

Did some quick tests and 21,1+2,1+2 also works. (Nevermind, this method doesn't let you cancel into specials)

Personally, I have zero issues inputting this string but I play on stick so I imagine it's much easier than pad.

And remember, you can't do the string unless KL has his hat on his head.

The first 21 has to be input pretty fast, the rest you have a decent amount of time to input.

KutlessMyth

mental and fundamental
No way, you have like a year to hit confirm that string. Just input 21212 as fast as possible then wait. Don't press ANY other buttons. By the time Lao is doing the last 5 rapid punches you can confirm if they are hitting and press df1.
Really? My Df1 only comes out if I input it before he throws the hat in the string. What's your timing? You press df1 after the plus rapid punches?

kcd117

Noob
Can you pls post that combo’s notation? Finally back home after a week+ away from MK and looking to dive in with this variation, thanks!
I have three routes I like after oki Z hat.

If I'm midscreen against a character that is hard to keep momentum on I do a micro dash up F1xxSpin F12 dash up Z-hat again. If I'm against a character that has to come at me I end in jump kick dive kick after the spin to keep the threat of my dive KB on deck. If I wanna squeeze some decent dmg I'll do F21 amplified spin into either the dive ender or the F21 for the setup.

KutlessMyth

mental and fundamental
I just use the Erron Black method since he has a similar notation with his double overhead string.

211,1+2
I press df1 early in the rapid punches but definitely after the hat comes back.
I tried it in the lab, the tight input requirements I was experiencing were due to me mistaking there being another 1 in the string. I feel stupid asf. Thanks for the help though, everything works and is easily hit-comfirmable now

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I tried it in the lab, the tight input requirements I was experiencing were due to me mistaking there being another 1 in the string. I feel stupid asf. Thanks for the help though, everything works and is easily hit-comfirmable now
Glad you figured it out!

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I feel like Lao is lacking in many ways. One of which is only having a couple safe strings one being a knockdown. Compared to the top tiers he is lackluster, they do what he does but better and safley.
Yeah he has damage, but if everything is unsafe especially his 21212 tripple high starter and only plus on block string is that unsafe then I feel he is useless when facing characters like Geras, Erron, Sub Zero, Sonya and Scorpion.

I really hope Lao gets his strings adjusted:

21212 to his 2 jailing to the 1 after blocked or make it a high mid, mid.

His F13 should be safe.

F12 should be safe.

And with that I'd think he would be fine if not great. I love this character but I am forced to not use him until it's fixed. I'll be competitively at a disadvantage.

Honestly if he was safer he would be among the best while being honest.

KutlessMyth

mental and fundamental
I feel like Lao is lacking in many ways. One of which is only having a couple safe strings one being a knockdown. Compared to the top tiers he is lackluster, they do what he does but better and safley.
Yeah he has damage, but if everything is unsafe especially his 21212 tripple high starter and only plus on block string is that unsafe then I feel he is useless when facing characters like Geras, Erron, Sub Zero, Sonya and Scorpion.

I really hope Lao gets his strings adjusted:

21212 to his 2 jailing to the 1 after blocked or make it a high mid, mid.

His F13 should be safe.

F12 should be safe.

And with that I'd think he would be fine if not great. I love this character but I am forced to not use him until it's fixed. I'll be competitively at a disadvantage.

Honestly if he was safer he would be among the best while being honest.
F13 is kindof safe due to spacing midscreen, but for the most part you should just use F1 and then hit confirm it into other buttons

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
I'm trying to lab combo enders into tele for oki setups. I was able to test F4xxtele this morning before work and what I found is this:

1) his 1 off tele is garbage on the way down (wiffs or not fast enough to punish wakeups) and if you land it on the way up you can't combo.

2) 2 is 7% damage which I can beat by just finishing the original combo with a j3 dk.

3) 4 is super slow and doesn't punish wakeups even after amplifying tele.

I'll try other normals into tele tomorrow. What do you guys think could work as a combo ender into tele?

mn_tercercine

you can call me blue cheese, because I am DRESSING
What do you guys think could work as a combo ender into tele?
essentially the only time i use it is after f12 unless there's some specific read i'm making

teleport 2 (overhead) as soon as you can after f12 will beat any normal other than a perfectly timed d1 and is safe on block but loses to meter burn wakeup attack so if you read it you can meter burn the tele to bait wakeup

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
essentially the only time i use it is after f12 unless there's some specific read i'm making

teleport 2 (overhead) as soon as you can after f12 will beat any normal other than a perfectly timed d1 and is safe on block but loses to meter burn wakeup attack so if you read it you can meter burn the tele to bait wakeup
I'm looking for a normal at the end of combos with either a hard knockdown or a long animation that will allow a tele 1 into a full string.

mn_tercercine

you can call me blue cheese, because I am DRESSING
I'm looking for a normal at the end of combos with either a hard knockdown or a long animation that will allow a tele 1 into a full string.
f12 is hard knockdown.

no matter what ender you use though they can just duck your tele 1? Maybe use orbital hat shenanigans?

KutlessMyth

mental and fundamental
I'm trying to lab combo enders into tele for oki setups. I was able to test F4xxtele this morning before work and what I found is this:

1) his 1 off tele is garbage on the way down (wiffs or not fast enough to punish wakeups) and if you land it on the way up you can't combo.

2) 2 is 7% damage which I can beat by just finishing the original combo with a j3 dk.

3) 4 is super slow and doesn't punish wakeups even after amplifying tele.

I'll try other normals into tele tomorrow. What do you guys think could work as a combo ender into tele?
If you're playing hat tricks you can j3 into air tele