What's new

Kung Lao Competitive Discussion

Which variation does everyone consider the best so far, or rather which one does what better? I feel like learning the one with the angled hat personally. Don't really care for the orbiting hat.

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie
Which variation does everyone consider the best so far, or rather which one does what better? I feel like learning the one with the angled hat personally. Don't really care for the orbiting hat.
Seems like the majority are messing with orbiting hat lao because its what everybodys familiar with

Seems like the majority are messing with orbiting hat lao because its what everybodys familiar with
Yeah that makes sense. So far most combos posted are for that variation. I dunno. I'm not feeling it. Good thing is the other variation has most of the same combos.

has anyone found a use for the vacuum move in his second variation? I am thinking about trying it just for the air teleport. The orbiting hat doesnt seem very useful. It costs less meter and does more damage to use spin and amplify spin in a combo than it does to use orb hat and spin lol. Still messing around in practice mode tho

How do ya guys use 21212? If they're crouch blocking beforehand they can just let go of block to duck the hat and punish

Death By Nines

Catharsis
How do ya guys use 21212? If they're crouch blocking beforehand they can just let go of block to duck the hat and punish
Against a player with half a brain, you don't use it really unless it's to punish. Doing it raw is asking to eat an uppercut or a D1 to interrupt your "pressure". I say 'pressure" because it's becoming increasingly obvious that Lao in this game is really not a character that can lock his opponent down like he could in older games.

I find a lot more success turtling hard and whiff punishing than any other strat.

Grape Juice City

Shaolin boyz
Popping in real quick to preach the s34 gospel. Has anybody been using this in the neutral? So far it's been a pretty reliable tool to get in. Just whiff the s3 and and let the 4 follow through; 12f of startup and the sweep has enough reach to close a gap just outside the starting position range. If they're not watching their feet they'll take the sweep. If they do block but aren't reacting you can follow it up with f1 staggers. If they start reacting to it you can just d4 and space them out and possibly bait out a whiff punish. Will experiment with it some more, but I just wanted to share this before I went off to work.

v0n

Noob
Try holding jump and remembering when he jumps. Then just try getting that timing down. It'll take a few tries but you should be able to get it eventually. Hope that helps
I'm having the same problem! What do you mean "holding jump" - like spin then immediately hold Up? I'm struggling with this one bad haha.

v0n

Noob
Popping in real quick to preach the s34 gospel. Has anybody been using this in the neutral? So far it's been a pretty reliable tool to get in. Just whiff the s3 and and let the 4 follow through; 12f of startup and the sweep has enough reach to close a gap just outside the starting position range. If they're not watching their feet they'll take the sweep. If they do block but aren't reacting you can follow it up with f1 staggers. If they start reacting to it you can just d4 and space them out and possibly bait out a whiff punish. Will experiment with it some more, but I just wanted to share this before I went off to work.
n00b question: what does the "s" in s34 and s3 stand for?

Byites

Wilson
I don't see any use in spending offensive meter outside of using ex spin In combos. I have not used orbital hat yet but that video above looks really cool thanks for posting it @HiddenSelectCounterPick ! I was using the z hat variation. I pulled off this basic interactable combo in a match tonight though I would share it.

I'm having the same problem! What do you mean "holding jump" - like spin then immediately hold Up? I'm struggling with this one bad haha.
Basically do spin then hold up (jump) and try to remember at what point KL jumps after the spin's animation ends. This should give you a good visual que as to when you have to input the jump attack.