What's new

Kung Lao Competitive Discussion

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Here's some tele oki I've been labbing. Timing and spacing changes with each character and their wakeup options but it's nice to know I can punish some.

Nice! I don't know if will affect your setups at all but you can get an extra spin after the 12 for some extra damage.

21212~spin, dash, 12~spin, f12 does 275 dmg

Byites

Wilson
I have no idea how to approach the erron black match up. What are you guys doing to win vs him ? I find it unwinnable. I just don't know how to open him up or even space him out.

Please help :coffee:

Byites

Wilson
I need to go into the lab myself. I have not tried the flawless block uppercut punish vs him yet. I feel like I cannot play neutral vs him. All I can do is stay mid screen and neutral jump hoping he will throw out a random drop kick or slide and then punish him with a jump kick or a dive kick. I noticed that if he makes you block his d+4 and you try and jump away he can just throw out a string and anti air you and get a combo off of it. I think I need to use my D+4 more to go under his triple overhead string.

Suntory

Suntory
What worked for me is labbing my defensive options against him.

I recorded loops of his strings/mix and I practiced punishing/kountering him.

Good stuff. So from what I can see, a good go to punish would be f4? Also, you did an uppercut during some of the strings, so were those because the strings of his had gaps? Idk if my question makes sense or not lol

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
Good stuff. So from what I can see, a good go to punish would be f4? Also, you did an uppercut during some of the strings, so were those because the strings of his had gaps? Idk if my question makes sense or not lol
Thanks! The uppercuts you mentioned are probably the U2s after flawless blocking his strings that have gaps.

F4 leads to the most damage without using a krushing blow. It can be done in certain gaps or as a punish for moves with a lot of recovery. Here is a video of me using it to punish Raiden's Storm Cell which can be ducked on the 3rd hit. It's in the 2nd round.

Last edited:

KutlessMyth

mental and fundamental
I don't know if everyone else has been doing this but by canceling into teleport off of F21 and F13 you can make yourself safer. (teleport 2 is recommended because it comes out the fastest and is the least minus imo) (12 frame or less advancing attacks will beat you out, but you can threaten with forbidden enders)

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
I don't know if everyone else has been doing this but by canceling into teleport off of F21 and F13 you can make yourself safer. (teleport 2 is recommended because it comes out the fastest and is the least minus imo) (12 frame or less advancing attacks will beat you out, but you can threaten with forbidden enders)
You can hit KL before he goes into the ground to teleport.

DeftMonk

Noob
Having some trouble with Lao once I’m cornered... if the opponent is afraid of f roll but isn’t willing to commit to grab they kinda back up to this range where f roll is useless and any Wu gets stuffed by some advancing whiff punish. Where as with cage there’s numerous ways to go for plus frames and push ur way out... what do you guys do here with Lao?

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Having some trouble with Lao once I’m cornered... if the opponent is afraid of f roll but isn’t willing to commit to grab they kinda back up to this range where f roll is useless and any Wu gets stuffed by some advancing whiff punish. Where as with cage there’s numerous ways to go for plus frames and push ur way out... what do you guys do here with Lao?
The things you could try more often are wakeup jump, a forward advancing string to catch the start of their whiff punish, and delayed wakeup. If they stay close and try to block your u2 or u3 you can wakeup grab, should you want to just be a huge jerk, and I think we all do.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
So you're the one who's cornered right?

If they just wanna back up and you see that they're doing that then you can just get up safely and maybe poke at their attempts to reengage. Just see what they wanna do afterwards and try and address that. You could dash up on wakeup while they're hanging back and F1 or throw them. It catches people off guard

Ultimately their strategy is to do nothing and wait for you to do something they can punish. Look up Machabo's neutral guide for Guilty Gear, he has a good philosophy for beating this sort of option

DeftMonk

Noob
The things you could try more often are wakeup jump, a forward advancing string to catch the start of their whiff punish, and delayed wakeup. If they stay close and try to block your u2 or u3 you can wakeup grab, should you want to just be a huge jerk, and I think we all do.
I’m more referring to someone that isn’t committing to oki gets slightly inside jump kick distance and just reacts to what u do. No matter what option I pick it either results in getting AAd or losing my turn and back to where we started. I use orbital hat cuz <3 etc mcfly haha maybe if I didn’t could wake up ex z hat. Really wish lao had a tp away option like some others to just get out and create some space to work with.

Nutz

Noob
I don't think you can cancel these two strings into teleport. Everytime I get the teleport there's no cancel advantage. If anyone has an example of this I would love to see it as it sounds sneaky.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I don't think you can cancel these two strings into teleport. Everytime I get the teleport there's no cancel advantage. If anyone has an example of this I would love to see it as it sounds sneaky.
Every single string cancelled into teleport is punishable, u get hit out of it before teleport goes in ground. And even If u dont get hit out of it its still very punishable.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
His teleport isnt really useless, just gotta know how to use it. For example you can end combo with f4-teleport, you can use it in strings on certain reads, you can use it to get in against zoning or punish projectile. You can meterburn it if u expect them to mash d2 or d1 for free full combo. If you use teleport too much or predictable ofcourse u gonna get blown up.

DeftMonk

Noob
Honestly when I play against people I lab with regularly I rarely teleport. They all know how to blow it up in every situation. So I was labbing last night and noticed some things.... noticeably4and f4 are throw immune after first few frames. (Dunno if this is common knowledge since hes airborne). Played a set vs one of my friends after finding this out and after every d1 I knew he was gonna throw I just f4 oribiting hat. Any other normal would have resulted in "throw counter" or something like that given to my opponent and I got thrown.