What's new

General/Other - Kung Jin Kung Jin Buffs/Fixes

ImAura

Ironic Irony
Hi I'm Aura, and I've mained Kung Jin since day -1. I assumed he'd be the reincarnation of Green Arrow, but was happy to see he was actually viable. Then as soon as I was comfortable in my pressure oriented ranged footsie based character the nerf hammer struck with the power of Thor. The damage nerf didn't bother me even though other characters got much more meterless, but the added negative frames to every string he has without fixing bugs and problems he still has to deal with now didn't help. Along with being one of the few characters without any plus strings he still has consistent hitbox errors. Even if this thread does not bring life to a dying breed, I at least want to get some sort of fun out of my favorite MKX character with a few changes. Also this thread is for general buffs/fixes for Ancestral and Bojustu as I don't play Shaolin enough to know of any issues except for the 22(gap)1 that's Shaolin specific. I'll explain each needed buff/fix and the changes I personally just want because he's my main, of course there's an ounce of bias. Please actually be constructive and everyone can voice their opinion because this is just mine. BTW sorry that I couldn't post a 10 minute video summing this all up.

General
Needs:
A NJP fix - Before I get roasted for complaining about a possible top 5 NJP it has a ghost hitbox. If you and your opponent both jump at the same time Jin's NJP will whiff. I've been punished countless times for reading a crossover and not realizing that my NJP only hits people that are half screen. Yea I can S1/D1 most characters on cross-up, but there are certain charters where I have to take whatever they choose to do after cross-up which isn't a viable tactic against Subs or a Jax for example.

111 whiff issue fix - This mainly happens on wake up when going for a meaty or sometimes a female hitbox. If the opponent stands up as I'm doing the string it's possible for all 3 hits to become highs that whiff on block, leaving me susceptible to a punish, or if your Cassie mids don't matter anyway.

Wanted Needs:
Lunge Kick block stun - It's punishable, but I don't think it should have so much block stun making it harder for certain characters to get a sufficient punish.

Arrow damage - I believe this is the lowest damage projectile at 4%, most are between 5%-8% to my knowledge. I suggest 6% while maintaining its current chip damage as to not completely deter usage of the fire arrow in Ancestral.

Arrow hit advantage - It's +10 on hit and my options afterwards are limited to F3, B1, and B2 which can be armored through or S1 at 9 frames/S2 at 7 frames. Where I consistently get poked due to highs and this is something I've been looking at offline, the link is too tight. Arrow being +15 on hit would help maintain pressure, some form offense after the arrow, or help his ranged options in general.

EX Arrows damage - It only makes sense if the regular arrow gets buffed that the EX version gets the same treatment. 10% EX Arrows is more of a threat.

EX Arrows hit advantage - Same as the previous reason, it's only fair to buff both making these arrows +16 on hit.

EX Arrows hitbox - These whiff on every character in the game if they are too close or females even at more of a range when they are classified as mids. This is so frustrating considering the arrows are +7 on block and help enforce a pressure game.

EX Up Arrows - I honestly don't need these to be mids considering the +15 on block jails into S1, F3, and B1. Just classify them as highs because I don't like wrong information.

Wants:
EX Cartwheel - At one point this was his best special at +5, now it's -5. How about we just make that neutral, but I understand because it is still a safe 2-hitting overhead.

11 on block - Day 1 this was neutral on block, why is it -2 now. I'd be ecstatic to find on the release of the next patch this became +2, but I'd definitely settle for neutrality.

F3 on block - Another neutral on block move taken away and replaced by -3. I'd like for it to be neutral as to be returned to it's previous glory, but it does break armor with an overhead and can be canceled into a low combo starter. So I understand if we cannot allow this, but per my playstyle I'll gladly trade the 50-50 option for 0 on block.

F24 hitbox - Slightly further the hitbox on the 4 portion of the string or give F2 less pushback on hit so that when spacing out opponents I can hit confirm instead of being out of range. Though this is something I honestly do not need you never know if someone else has the same complaint.

Bojustu
Wanted Needs:
Bo Spin block stun - Less block stun on Bo Spin so that everyone can get a sufficient punish, similar to lunge kick.

Bo Swing hit advantage - On a standing opponent this is not the problem, but when ending combos on low to the ground opponents it feels negative, especially in the corner. Maybe just a little more stun so I'm not so afraid that the opponents poke will beat out my options and no I'm not asking for a hard knockdown, but a possible +10.

Wants:
Low Bo Swing hit advantage - Same concept as Bo swing except not as bad considering it actually feels +5, but +10 would be a bit much and that's why it's not really a strong want.

Ancestral
Needs:
Stun Arrow - This should be the only arrow that isn't on a timer considering you can't spam out a quick six shots like the other two arrow sets.

Wanted Needs:
Load cancel combos - Similar to Reptile's 34xxNoxious Gas combos, allow for Jin to do 34xxStun Arrow Load, S1 or F3 combos afterwards. This would help out with the scarcity of combo damage when he's without a stun arrow. Scale accordingly so that he's getting about 38% mid screen, 43% in the corner. A 9 frame punish capable of giving the variation a chance if his quiver isn't already loaded or confirming off of a JIP.

Wants:
Overhead Air Angle Arrow - As it stands he has a high, mid and overhead arrow when in the air. I think his further reaching arrow being an overhead would simply be a nice addition to his arsenal because it'd keep your opponent on their toes. Personally if I'm zoning with a life lead trying to play keep away, instant air arrows become very viable. Catching an opponent with a 9% fire arrow overhead full screen because they weren't reacting, but just blocking low seems fulfilling.

Thanks for your time; I never thought I'd make a thread, but this has been something I've been thinking about for quite some time. Now we wait for Kung Jin 2016!

@EMPEROR_CROOKED @EMPEROR_KNICKS @ArmedCalf

Last edited:

StealthyMuffin

Earth's Mightiest Knucklehead
Is removing the overhead/armor breaking property of f3 part of your suggestion? It's worded a bit weirdly.

Nice list, btw.

ImAura

Ironic Irony
I like everything youve said so far. Also idk if its just me but ex cartwheel will go over advancing strings and some crossovers making it whiff or only hit once leaving me open to a punish, i think that should be changed to always connecting.
Agreed with that fix, thanks for the reminder and yea it still has good whiff recovery though. Also yea I really tried to be reasonable with my requests.

Trustypatches

PSN: Boweeen, Twitch: rBoweeen
Great post! Some really good points there. As far as shaolin specific imo: 221 having a gap like you said and Ex chakram having a gap at close is something I'd personally really like to see go too.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Tbh no to everything.

He's fine the way it is. He has relatively safe 50/50s, amazing range and decent damage. Plus divekick is ridiculous. No idea why you're using arrow for frame advantage instead of 34. I have no idea how you can ask for a damage buff in ancestral when you can choose between having a vortex or doing max damage, which @RM NoBrows already found some incredible high damage combos with it. Also 11 being +2 is insane. You're forgetting insta jump ins and the dumb ginarmous hitbox that he has.

Why is no one criticizing this is beyond me.

RM NoBrows

Supah hawt fiyah
Kung jin gets the most meterless damage in ancestral so he doesn't need a damage buff at all. All he needs is:

Either take timers off the arrows and give him a count like green arrows trait

Remove autoblock from arrow load/have an enhancable arrow load that's faster and can combo into it.

I agree with most of these.
also have some to add.
I think the last hit of bo swing should be quicker to be able to hit confirm on some combos.
And honestly bo swat should be little safer because of long start up.
And arrows being 6% is where it should be considering reptile got a spit buff for 8% which I hate trading against.
*Also after looking at this thread, nrs is probably gonna be like "you know what?.. quan chi needs more buffs"

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
For Ancestral I think the only clear buff would be possibly giving him a count of arrows instead of the timer (like 3 arrows then reload like Sonya bombs, 1 for stun), and maybe more of the "cancel combos into arrows" ability. Pretty much what @RM NoBrows said lol.

Trustypatches

PSN: Boweeen, Twitch: rBoweeen
Tbh no to everything.

He's fine the way it is. He has relatively safe 50/50s, amazing range and decent damage. Plus divekick is ridiculous. No idea why you're using arrow for frame advantage instead of 34. I have no idea how you can ask for a damage buff in ancestral when you can choose between having a vortex or doing max damage, which @RM NoBrows already found some incredible high damage combos with it. Also 11 being +2 is insane. You're forgetting insta jump ins and the dumb ginarmous hitbox that he has.

"tbh no to everything" I see no reason why the mid in 111 whiffing on a lot of the cast is unreasonable, same with the njp whiff issue.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
"tbh no to everything" I see no reason why the mid in 111 whiffing on a lot of the cast is unreasonable, same with the njp whiff issue.
It whiffs if you're at a certain range, and it's a non-issue. Njp hitbox is designed to work like that, that's why it hits so low even at max height.

Renzokuken

Gay Hawkeye
He doesn't need a ton of buffs, but he could definitely use some help in Ancestral. Hell, I'd be happy even if they only fixed the timer on his stun arrows (duration is way too short) or removed the 221 gap in Shaolin.

ImAura

Ironic Irony
Tbh no to everything.

In response to this I respect your first two points, but you meant EX Divekick is ridiculous. 34 on block is -3 and on hit I believe is plus 22 which would make comboing into my special like Johnny and Reptile do acceptable. My point was that he gets low damage when he doesn't have an arrow already loaded. As for damage I said this combo would be scaled the same as Reptile's, he was a huge template for this buff request. By the way if you read 11 was a former neutral string and I knew reaching for +2 was a stretch, that's why it's a want that I say I'd be ecstatic about.

ImAura

Ironic Irony
Kung jin gets the most meterless damage in ancestral so he doesn't need a damage buff at all. All he needs is:

Either take timers off the arrows and give him a count like green arrows trait

Remove autoblock from arrow load/have an enhancable arrow load that's faster and can combo into it.
You agreed with me btw, just saying. Except that stun arrow is the only one that shouldn't be timed and you wanna use a bar to cancel into arrow load like Unbreakable Sub which I'd be ok with.

Last edited:

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
In response to this I respect your first two points, but you meant EX Divekick is ridiculous.
Normal dive kick is a ridiculously efficient whiff and projectile punishing tool. You can literally jump around like a fool and a lot of characters have to respect your options.
34 on block is -3 and on hit I believe is plus 22 which would make comboing into my special like Johnny and Reptile do acceptable.
This was a response to you using arrow for the vortex instead of 34. I don't get it though, you want to be able to just shoot an normal arrow and combo after that? Why? He already gets a ton of damage lol
My point was that he gets low damage when he doesn't have an arrow already loaded. As for damage I said this combo would be scaled the same as Reptile's, he was a huge template for this buff request. By the way if you read 11 was a former neutral string and I knew reaching for +2 was a stretch, that's why it's a want that I say I'd be ecstatic about.
But that's the whole point of the variation. Load an arrow and get either cray damage or a vortex. You compare with reptile but reptile never had neither crazy damage nor a vortex, nor the crazy footsie range or air options that KJ does. The 34 ball buff that reptile got was pretty worthless, the combo after ex invis was the big buff and he still needs meter to do it.