What's new

Kryptonite Council Podcast Episode 11: $1000 MM Answer,Pig's $100 MM, Tom's Nuclear War Ensues

Justice

Noob
Well first off, I just want to thank Pig for blowing me up. I really appreciate it dood. All you had to do was send me a message over psn and say something to the effect of "Dood, if you want my help, prove that you want it". You were totally right but I would have respected that a lot more than being blown up anonymously on a podcast.

@TRASH OF TYM, you had a similar experience as the one I had going to EVO except I wasn't walking into "enemy territory". All I wanted was to meet new people, totally geek out for a weekend, see some sights I'll probably never see again, possibly make some new friends and get bodied by some of the best in the business. That didn't exactly happen for me, just like what you're experiencing now with the SoCal guys. Whether it's personal opinions or the East/West coast thing or whatever, you aren't always going to be able to walk in the room and say "Hey. I'm Tom Brady. Drop what you're doing and play me". I totally agree with you that the world and the community should be like that (excited to play someone they don't normally get to play) but as I found out at EVO, reality isn't always what we want it to be.

Flip side of the coin speaking of EVO, do you remember meeting me? Of course you don't. I probably wouldn't either. But when I introduced myself to you, you gave me this look that said "How dare you talk to me" or "Who the fuck is this piece of trailer park trash talking to me?". If I misread that look you gave me, I apologize. There's no hard feelings either way. I only mention it as a comparison for you and hopefully some insight.

@EMPEROR_THEO, you sir are a fucking moron. Online, offline, however it happened you had one of the best players in this scene (and arguably the best with one of your mains) sit down for a session with you and you bail after 10 games? I don't care how many mains you have to use against Tom in tournament. Play him until your fingers fall off. Both of you are good enough players that if one is sandbagging to download the other, you'll know it and adjust accordingly. It can only help both of you level up your games. Remember too that you and Tom are two different people. You won't see the same things in each other's play and you'll adapt differently as well. And let's face it, realistically how many tournaments are you going to face Tom when you live on opposite sides of the country? There really isn't many reasons to fear Tom downloading you anyway.

Now about this whole respect thing. I've been hearing that word thrown around for a little over a year now. People quitting because they don't get respect. People feeling slighted because they don't get respect. Shut the fuck up. This is a competitive environment. The only respect you get is what you earn at the console or being a "community leader". In addition to that is the whole "What have you done for us lately" mentality. "Sure you won EVO but that was like 4 months ago. What have you won since?" And let's not forget how much us North Americans love to watch our heroes fall. Tiger Woods being a good example. The only thing we love than a good self-destruct story is a good back into grace story. I know I'm wandering now but hopefully this helps Tom understand a little bit of the reactions he gets sometimes.

I did want to say something about the whole Pig/Tom thing, but that's really no one's business other than theirs.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Flip side of the coin speaking of EVO, do you remember meeting me? Of course you don't. I probably wouldn't either. But when I introduced myself to you, you gave me this look that said "How dare you talk to me" or "Who the fuck is this piece of trailer park trash talking to me?". If I misread that look you gave me, I apologize. There's no hard feelings either way. I only mention it as a comparison for you and hopefully some insight.
That's the trademark Tom Brady look. Tom Brady always seems to treat people with contempt.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
If you want to play against Theo you have to earn your right and play through all of us first. West Coast reigns supreme. Kneel worms.

zaf

professor
Added the link to the main post.
Link can be seen directly under the youtube video.
Checked and confirmed the link works. People can go ham now.
Feel free to ask me for similar requests in the future. I am always on. I have a rare condition where I am unable to sleep. So I wait.

I gotta say I find Tom Brady entertaining most of the time. Winning Tom, Emo Tom, Raging Tom, Normal Tom, they're all awesome. But maaaaannn Nuclear Paranoid Tom "No no no you don't understand here let me repeat myself for the 30th time" is unbearable lol.

The problem is not Tom seeing Theo as a threat or anything like that. The problem is Tom being a little too paranoid I think. For example Pig says a couple of good things about Theo then Tom interprets that as a disrespect or insult. It's like everything said on a podcast must always be related to him in his mind.

I haven't finished watching, but I hope he doesn't really quit. Tom is a great player, a great commentator and a great figure for the NRS community. It would really suck to lose him on top of REO.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Yeah, Carl and CD Jr also used Scorp in the top 8 and lost. That talking point is simply not true.
I said this at the time, but I think it's worth repeating here:

The reason I don't like using CEO results as proof of anything is that those were maximum 2-week representations of a character.

Hardly anyone makes Top 8 at a major with a 2-week version of a character; and when that happens, it's usually because that character has enough MU knowledge, established history and tech in the game that whoever picks that char up is building upon weeks and months worth of accumulated experience.

So when someone playing a brand new character makes Top 8 and then loses to some of the best players in the game, who have been playing their characters since close to release, or at least for some months, and have been grinding out matchups and accumulating experience, formulating tech day after day, its not a relevant evaluation to say "well player X lost".

Most of the characters that are now most dangerous took some time to hit their full potential. DLC is no exception.

So I don't think that's fair and I wish people would look at it in a more balanced light.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I said this at the time, but I think it's worth repeating here:

The reason I don't like using CEO results as proof of anything is that those were maximum 2-week representations of a character.

Hardly anyone makes Top 8 at a major with a 2-week version of a character; and when that happens, it's usually because that character has enough MU knowledge, established history and tech in the game that whoever picks that char up is building upon weeks and months worth of accumulated experience.

So when someone playing a brand new character loses to some of the best players in the game, who have been playing their characters since close to release, or at least for some months, and have been grinding out matchups and accumulating experience, formulating tech day after day, its not a relevant evaluation to say "well player X lost".

Most of the characters that are now most dangerous took some time to hit their full potential. DLC is no exception.

So I don't think that's fair and I wish people would look at it in a more balanced light.

I only bring it up because we were told it did not happen.

You can debate the meaning but you cannot debate the reality of what happened.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I only bring it up because we were told it did not happen.

You can debate the meaning but you cannot debate the reality of what happened.
You're up early! Haha.

I know what you mean. Usually when people bring it up, it's in the context of evaluating the character's performance. But if you're just stating it for the sake of clarifying history, that's fine.

coolwhip

Noob

Agreed. CEO does not prove much, but it's still more of a proof than any of the "evidence" presented that Scorpion "breaks the rules of the game" and needed to be banned.

coolwhip

Noob
Also, I'll add that CEO DOES proof that this silly idea of being able to pick up Scorpion and bodying the best players in the world right off the bat -- one that Tom repeated on this podcast -- is simply untrue, and is just another in the long line of false narratives regarding Scorpion.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Also, I'll add that CEO DOES proof that this silly idea of being able to pick up Scorpion and bodying the best players in the world right off the bat -- one that Tom repeated on this podcast -- is simply false, and is just another in the long line of false narratives regarding Scorpion.
Well, it's only false if you count the losses and not the wins. I'd say to be realistic it was 'up in the air' and you'd have to have some more validation.

However, the end result of the coin toss was that the game's credibility was at stake; and I think that more than anything, people were drawing lines in the sand to defend the game's rep.

Remember that Superman didn't make grand finals of CEO either, and Green Arrow won. And just as little was proved by those things at that point in time.

It's a tough issue with multiple layers, and it's hard to look at it honestly if you oversimplify the factors involved.

coolwhip

Noob
Well, it's only false if you count the losses and not the wins. I'd say to be realistic it was 'up in the air' and you'd have to have some more validation.

The narrative before CEO was that Scorpion was broken, broke the rules of the game, anyone can pick up Scorpion and body top players, and that the Grand Finals would be Scorpion mirrors (with REO vs. PL too). You also had promises that CD Jr's 4 day Scorpion was going to body everyone.

I am neither making up the above, nor exaggerating in any way. Those WERE the talking points.

So no, I'm not only looking at Scorpion's losses and disregarding his wins. I'm looking at his wins and losses together and drawing the logical conclusion that his results in that particular tournament DO NOT back up the above claims. It was claimed that players will pick him up and body anyone, and when you look at both his wins and losses at CEO together, that surely did not happen. I'm not sure how anyone could argue otherwise.

Now yes, as far as the general picture goes, you could claim that everything was "up in the air" and that one tournament is not enough to draw definitive conclusions, and I'd agree.

However, the premise is simple: innocent until proven guilty. In other words, we needed proof that he was as broken as most claimed. If everyone is going to run around and claim that he broke the rules of the game because a top player got bodied in an online set when he still had no idea how to approach the match-up, then it is up to them to find more definitive proof, due to the extremely weak nature of the evidence they were basing their assumptions on.

I hope that make sense. I'm tired of talking about Scorpion.

Breaker

~AKUMA~
The respect Tom is referring to is the genuine kind of respect that 90% of this community didn't learn growing up. Talk about momma raised you all fucked up. It's sad really, you're kids are gonna be some rude ass walking robots sometime near the future.

RIF

Noob
Tom is an incredibly likable person. Community needs him.

Edit: Scorpion is criminally underrated right now.

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
That's the trademark Tom Brady look. Tom Brady always seems to treat people with contempt.
Justice
Gonna call horseshit here.

EVO was my first major. I had only been playing fighting games competitively for as long as Injustice had been released. I met everyone you could think of - Tom Brady included. He was cool. Ranting about Sub Zero and how unsafe Aquaman's Scoop changed his game - but he was cool.

If you got a look of contempt from Tom Brady it's because either 1. You're a fucking weirdo or 2. You want to believe Tom Brady gave you shit.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
The narrative before CEO was that Scorpion was broken, broke the rules of the game, anyone can pick up Scorpion and body top players, and that the Grand Finals would be Scorpion mirrors (with REO vs. PL too). You also had promises that CD Jr's 4 day Scorpion was going to body everyone.

I am neither making up the above, nor exaggerating in any way. Those WERE the talking points.

So no, I'm not only looking at Scorpion's losses and disregarding his wins. I'm looking at his wins and losses together and drawing the logical conclusion that his results in that particular tournament DO NOT back up the above claims. It was claimed that players will pick him up and body anyone, and when you look at both his wins and losses at CEO together, that surely did not happen. I'm not sure how anyone could argue otherwise.

Now yes, as far as the general picture goes, you could claim that everything was "up in the air" and that one tournament is not enough to draw definitive conclusions, and I'd agree.

However, the premise is simple: innocent until proven guilty. In other words, we needed proof that he was as broken as most claimed. If everyone is going to run around and claim that he broke the rules of the game because a top player got bodied in an online set when he still had no idea how to approach the match-up, then it is up to them to find more definitive proof, due to the extremely weak nature of the evidence they were basing their assumptions on.

I hope that make sense. I'm tired of talking about Scorpion.
Then why was vanilla Deathstroke normalized?

If I recall correctly, the highest placing vanilla Deathstroke player was J360, who placed 13th, in one of the early east coast tournaments.

Placing 13th means the character has to fall from top 5 to mid tier?

coolwhip

Noob
Then why was vanilla Deathstroke normalized?

If I recall correctly, the highest placing vanilla Deathstroke player was J360, who placed 13th, in one of the early east coast tournaments.

Placing 13th means the character has to fall from top 5 to mid tier?

What does that have to do with anything?