What's new

Kotaku Asks "The Big Question" ... Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter II?

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
well since i called it the true king of the fighters it damn well better be it would be kinda dumb to dub it the true king if it wasnt better than the rest but thats just my opinion on it to each his own
Well I mean it doesn't necessarily have to be the best. CoD is the king of shooters. It isn't the best. MK has some things that are fundamentally better. For instance the implementation of fatalities gave it a lot of personality.

Finish him! Safeties disabled, kombat mode engaged! Huh! You say that like it means somethin! You will learn respect! ;-)

Only way to resolve this is to take both parties lock them in, engage in, mortal kombaaat! Lets make it happen!

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I never really played the first MK like that, and I didn't really like it either compared to the latter games of the series I played while growing up.

SF II on the other hand is the very first fighting game i've ever played and is the game that got me interested in fighters.

I'm sorry MK.

I'm sure this is how most people decided their vote, one side or the other.

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
I never really played the first MK like that, and I didn't really like it either compared to the latter games of the series I played while growing up.

SF II on the other hand is the very first fighting game i've ever played and is the game that got me interested in fighters.

I'm sorry MK.

I'm sure this is how most people decided their vote, one side or the other.
Yeah... most likely. Nostalgia is the driving force.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
SFII, I'm afraid.

Felt like MK only really picked up steam at II, but even then I still play some casual matches of SFII every so often. I've considered doing the same for MKII (and/or UMK3), but still haven't picked up MKAK.

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
Well I mean it doesn't necessarily have to be the best. CoD is the king of shooters. It isn't the best. MK has some things that are fundamentally better. For instance the implementation of fatalities gave it a lot of personality.
Thats why i included the part about it being my opinion cause in my opinion you cant be the king if your not the best

Saffa

Noob
I would have to go for SF2.
My local little corner shop cafe had a SF2 machine and I remember climbing over the fance at school break time to go play a couple of games.

I discovered MK later and really fell in love when I went to my cousin's house for school holidays and he got MK2 on his PC.

Sasuga

Noob
SF is better. It's mechanics are more solid and it's not as match-up based as MK.

[EDIT] Oh,, i read that wrong. SF II vs MK... hmm, SF II then.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Doesn't help the fact that Midway kept progressing the MK franchise while Capcom spun their wheels regurgitating the same game release after release..few new characters here and there, but basically just balance and speed fixes.

And that's exactly what MK should have done. And they did do that with MK3 to UMK3 then to MKT. MKT had its problems with balance issues, broken characters and broken aspects, but it's still a great game and my personal favorite. You could even say they did that with MK1 to MK2, and MK2 to MK3. MK2 and MK3 don't play that much differently from one another, the addition of the run button and dial combos were the most significant changes.

And these games are known as the best MK games. The gameplay for the most part stayed consistent without changing too much from game to game. MK4 changed everything but MK4 was still a good game. But it was the catalyst for the garbage that followed. If they didn't go back to 2D for MK9 and at least attempt to go back to their roots, MK would have died off.

And a side note, I rally wish they would make an upgraded, HD version of UMK3 and MKT kinda like they were going to do with the HD Kollection. These games are dead but they don't deserve to be, they are by far the best MK games from a competitive stand point!