What's new

Konquer menu guy (Who is he?)

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Remember when somebody asked if Fujin would be in MKX and Ed responded with "Well it is getting pretty windy . . ."

His tweets mean nothing.
yeah, Ed is a professional troll, and a very good one ! sometimes he is serious, sometimes, all completed out of mind when teasing MK info, so .... always keep your guard up when overanalizying Ed's twitters, rsrsr :p :cool:

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
The whole "This isn't Rain thing" isn't intended to just spit on Rain fans.

It was meant to clear up the question of "Who is This" that has been circulating for so long.
Are the jokes doubling as jabs to Rain fans? Sure, apparently, but really he's just clearing something up.

We should have known that Rain wasn't in by the reveal event anyway.
His assist was in the tower mode with Cyrax and Reptile who are definitely not in.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
Way I see it's there's two scenarios.

1. Rain is definitely going to be in the game at least as DLC and has been planned for a couple years now.

2. Boon really hates Rain.

Well, sort of. From the several dozens of tweets we've seen from him after all those years we can at least sumrise that he considers Rain to be nothing more than an utter joke, much like the character's very inception.
Noob Saibot was created in a much similiar way. Just a black figure with boon and tobias's names backwards. Ermac just literally being Error Macro. Their inception doesnt really matter once the character is given an actual background. Plus Prince is one of boons favorite artists, so more of a homage to him. He also wouldnt of played that big a role in the story if boon truly hated him.

Last edited:

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Well if Boon does honestly, sincerely hate Rain, but he felt compelled to add him to MK11 for whatever reason... why wouldn't he just redesign him first, into a character that he wouldn't hate?

I mean, they've completely overhauled multiple existing characters for MKX and MK11 already, who are objectively more iconic than Rain. Overhauling Rain to make him more palatable to the designers (but still meet his fans halfway) seems like a no-brainer in that case, no?

So I'm inclined to agree with OP on this. Unless Ed's hatred for Rain is like some deeply ingrained, irrational thing that's tied to some behind-the-scenes creative shit or real life shit. Maybe Ed's neighbor told him his favorite character was Rain before he stole Ed's cable or keyed his car, back in 2001, or something. That's the only way I could explain Ed hating the character but adding him but not just redesigning him into a character he likes.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Well if Boon does honestly, sincerely hate Rain, but he felt compelled to add him to MK11 for whatever reason... why wouldn't he just redesign him first, into a character that he wouldn't hate?

I mean, they've completely overhauled multiple existing characters for MKX and MK11 already, who are objectively more iconic than Rain. Overhauling Rain to make him more palatable to the designers (but still meet his fans halfway) seems like a no-brainer in that case, no?

So I'm inclined to agree with OP on this. Unless Ed's hatred for Rain is like some deeply ingrained, irrational thing that's tied to some behind-the-scenes creative shit or real life shit. Maybe Ed's neighbor told him his favorite character was Rain before he stole Ed's cable or keyed his car, back in 2001, or something. That's the only way I could explain Ed hating the character but adding him but not just redesigning him into a character he likes.
yep, kinda strange, almost as : "god, I hate this fucking meme purple ninja Prince homage alike we created, but I'm compeled to include this dude in some games, because this fucker just grew up into a huge fan base, and that shit sells !!" :rolleyes:

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
I like rain, but just curious as to what about his move set people find badass. He puts you in a bubble. Reminds me more of my childhood than a vicious MK attack

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Young Shao Kahn. Kronika talks to him and he agrees to work with her. Likely he gets rejuvenated.

Reactions: Zev

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
I don't understand why many people seem to want Rain. He brings nothing new to the table.
Edenian royalty? We already have Kitana. Ninja warrior? We have plenty. Weather powers? Hello Raiden and Fujin. Watery powers? Sub-Zero and Frost.

He's useless. Heck, Jacqui brings more new stuff to the fighting table than him.
Time to put the crack pipe down

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
Noob Saibot was created in a much similiar way. Just a black figure with boon and tobias's names backwards. Ermac just literally being Error Macro. Their inception doesnt really matter once the character is given an actual background. Plus Prince is one of boons favorite artists, so more of a homage to him. He also wouldnt of played that big a role in the story if boon truly hated him.
Sure. Except, Noob's first appearance was as a secret boss fight and Ermac's as a hidden playable character. Rain was never meant to become a real character (I'm pretty sure Boon has actually explicitly said this before) and only ever got lucky to be added to the home versions of UMK3 and MKT.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
Sure. Except, Noob's first appearance was as a secret boss fight and Ermac's as a hidden playable character. Rain was never meant to become a real character (I'm pretty sure Boon has actually explicitly said this before) and only ever got lucky to be added to the home versions of UMK3 and MKT.
From the wiki:
"A huge fan of Prince, Boon's inspiration for the character was the 1984 track Purple Rain, coupled with his jokingly wondering what color palette had not yet been used in the games. In another nod to the singer, Rain addresses himself as "Prince of Edenia" in Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. By the time Boon had decided to include him as a selectable in UMK3, the game was already completed, so due to time constraints he had to hack into the attract mode to insert a snippet of the character as an unplayable red herring who was a purple palette swap of Scorpion, while creating a new font for displaying his name in his power bar; therefore, it is the only one in the game that is not italicized.

Rain was made a playable character with his own backstory and distinct set of moves for the home versions of UMK3 and the 1996 home-release compilation title Mortal Kombat Trilogy."

His first appearance was a tease(HA) but he was always meant to be playable, they just didnt get him into the arcade version in time. A normal thing to happen in MK games. Tremor was suppose to be in Trilogy also but was axed.

If he was never meant to be a real character, he wouldnt have been made a character at all.

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
From the wiki:
"A huge fan of Prince, Boon's inspiration for the character was the 1984 track Purple Rain, coupled with his jokingly wondering what color palette had not yet been used in the games. In another nod to the singer, Rain addresses himself as "Prince of Edenia" in Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. By the time Boon had decided to include him as a selectable in UMK3, the game was already completed, so due to time constraints he had to hack into the attract mode to insert a snippet of the character as an unplayable red herring who was a purple palette swap of Scorpion, while creating a new font for displaying his name in his power bar; therefore, it is the only one in the game that is not italicized.

Rain was made a playable character with his own backstory and distinct set of moves for the home versions of UMK3 and the 1996 home-release compilation title Mortal Kombat Trilogy."

His first appearance was a tease(HA) but he was always meant to be playable, they just didnt get him into the arcade version in time. A normal thing to happen in MK games. Tremor was suppose to be in Trilogy also but was axed.

If he was never meant to be a real character, he wouldnt have been made a character at all.
lol, its amazing how wrong wikis can be. Midway created Rain for the intro goof, but his entire backstory, movelist and design was created by either Avalanche or Acclaim.

Rain was never added to arcade UMK3 (the only one Midway made in house) despite numerous revisions.

RothVI

d2 Spammer
D

Deleted member 59910

Sure, but then we have characters like Johnny Cage or Shang Tsung who have been "done right" since their first game.

Not that I don't agree, Rain can be improved. But I think it'll end up a Noob Saibot situation: sure, I like MK11 Noob more than his previous versions, but he still didn't suddenly become one of my most favorites.
Thanks god you’re not a NRS employee/creator. Would be the Ed Boon’s shoulder devil trying to destroy the franchise, AGAIN. I mean, I’m glad your favorites aren’t mine and aren’t the favorites of the majority here. :)

RothVI

d2 Spammer
That's great but Boon didn't make the home ports of MKT or UMK3, Avalanche (or Acclaim) did. Which is why Rain isn't in all of them.

Boon's team never makes their ports.
So how does that detract from "he was always meant to be playable"?

trufenix

bye felicia
So how does that detract from "he was always meant to be playable"?
I'm still waiting for the thing that says he always was meant to be playable. He's yet to show up in a single game that didn't already have every other cast member in it. In mk9 he was literally the last mk character they created.

If anything, not being playable is more what he's meant for.